“A great hotel and vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Winnipeg
“A great hotel and vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during Christmas last year Dec 28 - Jan 11/12. Like everyone else, I did my research on Trip Advisor as well as the forums etc. It was the first time we ever went to the Pacific side of Mexico and was my sixth hot vacation. We like to try new things and we thought this was an interesting city. Taking a holiday at Christmas is a bit more expensive but this is the only time I can get off for the next couple of years due to my job.

First of all, I think Mazatlan is one of the most beautiful cities we have ever seen. We loved the location of the El Cid and travelled a lot by the pulmoni golf carts. Extremely inexpensive and we went as much as possible off the resort. If you go across the street and keep to the right you will come across an outdoor restaurant called Gus Gus. Fabulous entertainment and food. Highly recommend.

We liked pretty much everything about this hotel. It really is a beautiful hotel. Some evenings were cool, but it didn't stop us from going to the lounge in the evening. I really enjoyed the fact that the entertainment was inside and in the form of a dinner theatre. I thought the talent was great. New Year's Eve was packed, but it was nice to experience my first New Year's away from home. I thought the countdown and the "grape" tradition at midnight was fun. There were lots of restaurants to try and we had no problems with the food. We didn't have any bad experience. On the El Cid Moro side there is a gem of a restaurant that serves the absolute best steak sandwich. We ate there for lunch 3 times. It wasn't busy as in was inside as most people ate outdoors at the restaurant by the beach.

Rooms are good and the view was wonderful as we faced the ocean. It was noisy in the afternoon around the pool as the animation team were doing their thing, so if you are an afternoon napper, I would suggest going higher up in the tower.

We visited the Marina and the Granada and thought they were just fine, but we stuck to the Castilla. We went on the evening cruise around the bay and I thought the coastline at night was absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend going to the Plaza Machado on the weekend for dinner. Totally great atmosphere and food was great and reasonable. A very neat experience. We enjoyed the trip to Stone Island but the trip to Deer Island was not good. This was the only thing that was a truly waste of time and money and unfortunately all our party was in agreement. None of us ate the lunch except for the salad. There is nothing to do but lay on the beach which you can do at your hotel.

The beach was good, but I was surprised at the number of people who actually sat on the beach. I think Mazatlan has been hit hard in the tourist industry as the beach was not nearly as busy as I expected. For me the water was cold, but that's me. I love waves so that was a lot of fun, but I am a carribbean water person. If I was to go in February into the water, it would have been perfect.

We have no problems anywhere we go with vendors selling. After 6 vacations, we have adapted. We usually get to know a number of them and have some great conversations. They are just trying to make a living, and most are very respectful if you say no. In some other places we have gone, we usually hire drivers for the day and found that this is the only way to go as they go out of their way to show you all there is to see and we get to know a lot more about the area.

No matter where you go, there is always miserable people complaining over the smallest things, some staff that are not happy, sometimes a food doesn't agree with you...but it is how you react to everything that will determine your well earned vacation. Remember, that resorts will always show the best room picture, the best food layout etc. as that is what they do. Do your research, (especially on Trip Advisor) and don't sweat the small stuff.

I do recommend this hotel. There is a lot to see and experience. Relax...and have a great vacation.

Room Tip: If you are an afternoon napper, go higher up as it is noisy around the pool until 4 or 5 PM (but a l...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear: gizzymanit0ba

Many thanks for your kind remarks relating to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Mazatlan is a spectacular city and I’m happy that you enjoyed the beautiful beaches and fantastic weather… I’m fortunate to live here.

Your review of our hotel really does cover all facets of our services and for that I am grateful. I know that your positive review will be the deciding factor for many guests who are in two minds about where to stay. Reading your review really does make it worth it and I will make sure to post your review in our employee lounge.

We are so happy to know that you enjoyed the activities that Mazatlan had to offer restaurant, food, the travelers to the pulmonias around the beautiful city, and we want to thank you for your recommendation to the readers of TripAdvisor.

When you return, please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable

Kind regards,

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Kelowna, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

What can I say, you get what you pay for... If you're the type who stays in your resort for your holidays then this may not be the hotel for you.

Rooms: were spacious and relatively clean, make sure you tip will on the first night and they will do a good job for you. Get an ocean view, it really is breathtaking especially at night. if you get the chance to see a lightning storm from the deck it will change your life!

Food: not up to par with other hotels in the area. A few of the a la carte restaurants were great but the buffet was sub-par at the best of days.

Beautiful beach! BUT!!! make sure that you like waves because the waters are far from calm. i saw a few people got knocked over quite hard while standing in a foot of water.... this means keep your kiddies close! If you during the rainy season expect a ton of sun! or perhaps we just got lucky because it seemed to rain during the evening and blaze during the day. lots of locals also vacation during the rainy season so if you're hoping for a quiet pool think again, we loved the locals so it didn't bug us much.

Buskers: We felt that they were quite aggressive in comparison with other places we have been. there was a gentleman playing guitar on the beach who would go to people who were sleeping (Eyes Closed!) and wake them up with a flurry of strumming! it was unlike anything i've ever seen. he would continue until paid and then he would stop and let the people go back to sleep. a little uncomfortable and it didn't make you feel incredibly safe.

The City: if you like doing tours while on holiday this will be your highlight, there were so many unbelievably good tours available a few of the most notable being: 1) Tequila factory/zipline/atv adventure all in one tour!!!!!! need i say more? 2) City Tour 3) island tour 4)plantation horseback riding

Surfing: any young guns looking to surf it up, this is your spot. talk to some locals and they will give you directions to one of the many surf shops in town. Cheap lessons, cheap rentals, and great surfing awaits you. (you can book through the hotel but it's way cheaper to find a surf shop and set it up yourself)

All in all the hotel was a bit of a disappointment but the location overshadowed anything that the hotel was lacking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear: ShawnSpeirs

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience in Mazatlan. I’m delighted to hear that you found our accommodation to your liking.

We know there is always room for improvement however we always strive to make each stay as close to perfection as we possibly can. In regards to the food it is unfortunate you didn’t find our buffets as great I will defiantly have a meeting with the proper department to discuss ways in we can better our food. It worries me that you felt unsafe at one point I’m taking your comment to the up most seriousness and will assure you something will be done about this.

I’m honored you choice our hotel out of all the other hotels we have here and that you were also able to enjoy much of what Mazatlan has to offer it is never a dull day here there is always something new and exciting to do which is why we are so lucky to live here day to day!

We hope in a future visit you can notice all our improvements for our main objective is the satisfaction of our customers.

Kind Regards!

Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was my first time staying at this hotel but my wife and her family have stayed there a lot of times before we were married. I would recommend this hotel to anybody but suggest them to take a close look at the all inclusive package. I have stayed at other all inclusive resorts and there all inclusive actually meant that everything was included, as far as food, drinks and some activities go. Here it means all restaurants except for one, all drinks except for premium drinks (buchanan's, martell and other more expensive drinks and beer cans). The drinks that you order taste good but you can see that the liquors that are being used aren't from the top brands. The food that we did eat was very good, no complaints. Everything looked clean and staff was always making sure there was nothing empty.
Also, beware of ordering food at the beach, it is way overpriced. ($65 pesos ($5US) for an order of fries or $95 pesos ($8US) for nachos).
The staff was very good, the only complaint is that they serve guests that give big tips first and looked almost like they were "bought" by the big tippers. All inclusive is supposed to be including all tips but when we tipped generously the service was way faster. Not a big problem because I would probably give the big tippers faster service as well.
We had a room with 2 double beds and travelling with 2 young children (2 years and 2 months). Very good room, cleaned daily, the beds were good also.
The beach was very good, very clean water and were able to go in very far.

Room Tip: All in all a great hotel, just make sure that you know what is included in all inclusive.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear: Gilberto R

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. With each guest comment we receive, we view it as an opportunity to learn and understand our guest’s experiences.

I really appreciated your recommendation in this recent review, I’m happy to read that you are able to enjoyed our clean rooms, the service provided for our staff was always courteous also that you and your family have the pleasure to enjoyed a clean and clear beach.

I regret the inconvenience of the all inclusive and the service provided for our waiters this is not acceptable for us. We always care for each of our customers and not matter if they tip or not, we will verify this situation closely and we take the measure to do it in the right way.

Hope to have the opportunity of being your host on a future visit to demonstrate how well we can take care of our guests.

Cordially,

East Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

we have wonderful time at the bar of the hotel as well when we were spending good times at the beach in overall most of the people who worked there are very friendly one of them is lety at the lobby bar and jorge by the beach.

Room Tip: rooms on the side of the street are quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear: Marco Q

Many thanks for taking time and effort to share your wonderful experiences to the readers of the TripAdvisor.

We are very glad to read about your kind review and charming words about our staff Lety from lobby bar and Jorge by the beach it’s good to know that they bring to you a wonderful service and care of your during your stay at bar or beach side. Be assure that they be recognized for the hard work.

Once again, thank you so much for your confidence in our service and providing us with such constructive remarks and thank you for choosing El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel as your holiday destination in Mazatlan. I am sure you will become our frequent guest and will all be more than happy to welcome you back soon!

My best,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the resort; bedspreads should be washed more often. We had the all inclusive deal which sounds good but unfortunately the food is not of good standard. Unfortunately you will always have people touching food and sneezing and coughing over the buffet food, which is very off putting. We thought well we will make a booking and go to one of the a la carte restaurants, where we hoped the standard of food would be different, but unfortunately mistaken. We (party of 6) all had a prawn/shrimp dish at the Italian restaurant, 2 people vomited soon after leaving and 1 person, myself traveled home to Australia with "MEXICAN BELLY". Went to docs soon after arriving in Australia and prescribed antibiotics. Well let me say I will not be going there again. The activity team during the day were fantastic and pool area great. Beach was just a hop, skip and jump away. Sorry but had to be truthful.

Room Tip: overlooking the pool and ocean
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear: Mid 1962

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your recent experiences in our hotel. We take our comments as an essential way to better improve our hotel. I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered. It concerns me to read your comment in regards to our food, I would like to point out that we care for our guests health as it is our number one priority to have the proper hygienic procedure which is why I was a bit shocked to read this, this is not a common issue we have, if you can see in any previous reviews , it could possibly be that your stomach was not a costume in the way we prepare our dishes in Mexico as in Australia it tends to happen when people travel Never the less I will take the proper precautions and organize a meeting with my Food and Beverages staff to double check our foods. Although you had a rough experience with our food I’m glad you were fond of my staff and the exemplarity service. There is no need for you to apologize on the contrary we appreciate your honest opinion and concerns. We really do hope you could come and give us another try in a near feature I can assure you that you will see our improvements.

Warm Regards

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

So..let's start by saying this..I am a timeshare owner and i had the most wonderful time with my group of 5 friends/family that went. They were very impressed by the VIP service we recieved. We had a HUGE 2 bedroom suite on the 16th floor that offered amazing views. The room was super roomy! The sauna in room and jacuzzi were a plus!

I want to thank first most...FELIX!! This man was AMAZING!! He kept us well fed and hydrated! Anything we asked for..he provided with a big smile on his face! We had no one else wait on us! I can go on and on about Felix! The staff at La Concha...thank you for making dinner great every night (the "team captain" was a lil rude with the employees..not really appreciated that..the morning one that is) BTW we only ate at La Concha for breakfast and dinner..The Marina restaurant..Lobster was delish! We went to the sushi but sadly we had a horrible waiter and didn't get a chance to taste the food...we walked out after waiting for 30 mins for our rolls! Room service was great..easy to order and delivered in a timely manner!
Maria our housekeeper...she always did a great job with our 2 bedroom suite..and was sweet as sugar!!
We didn't do much as we went to relax...and giving that I am already a timeshare member..the sale pitch..was really no big deal!
My only complain...the people selling on the beach..we sat out in the beach one day...(the day that Felix was working that area :) And they can get annoying..we had one lady beg us for a dollar at the end of the day because she had sold nothing..i get it..its tough and there is not much the resort can do..but if i told you "not interested" the first 5 times...i think they should get the hint. We didnt get in the ocean as they had jelly fish..but that didn't bother us...we stayed by the pool anyways. We did the all-inclusive and for us it worked just great..for all the lobster...shrimp and steak we ate..all the booze we wanted..it was perfect!

Overall...i can't complain about the resort...we had a blast and plan on going back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear: Saby1978

I appreciate the time given to write this review for we know your time is valuable, let me start of by thanking you for become part of our family and buying a time share it’s great to hear you brought other to come along and enjoy our Facilities so they can also have an opportunity to Experience an unforgettable vacation. Felix is a great person and I’m glad to hear he was able to give you such exemplary service good to have him on board with us I will definitely give him the proper congrats. So I see you got a chance to try some of our Ala Cart dinners glad you enjoyed them we always try and have the best quality of food and always have them tasting delicious however I am a bit concerned about the lack of attention the waiter in t he sushi bar provided rest assure that this will be taken very serious for it is not expectable to have such behavior for we always take pride in doing what we do and make sure it is done right I again apologies for this and can assure you it will no longer happen again. As far as the beach sellers yes we try our hardest to try and distant the sellers away from our guest but there’s only so much we can do given the fact that the beaches are not private property but fear not for we will try and come up with new ways as a team to try and solve this issue we are having with them I can’t assure anything but I will guarantee you that will be taking this comment very serious and into consideration.

My best,

Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

In addition to the great accommodations and location, the Activities Crew by the pools were great! From the first day they recognized our kids by name and found them for fun group activities! Especially great were Brenda, Alejandra. The waiters around the pool work hard to keep us in drinks on these very hot days. Ramon and Thomas were great! We wanted a certain drink but the bar tenders didn't know it so Ramon worked to make it perfect!

Room Tip: Stay in the Castillo tower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear: LisafromEncinitas

I’m happy that you enjoyed our accommodations and the service provided from the activities team especially with Brenda and Alejandra.

We are so happy to know that you have stayed with us and have experienced our superior customer service. We are extremely proud of our efforts in maintaining a very high level of customer service, and we want to thank you for your recognition. Thank you also for mentioning the great staff, especially Ramon and Thomas around the pool! They are a real asset to our hotel and I will be sure to convey your compliments to them.

We look forward to having with us again; please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable.

Kind regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!