“Average Across the Board” 3 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #16 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Kelowna, Canada
“Average Across the Board”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

What can I say, you get what you pay for... If you're the type who stays in your resort for your holidays then this may not be the hotel for you.

Rooms: were spacious and relatively clean, make sure you tip will on the first night and they will do a good job for you. Get an ocean view, it really is breathtaking especially at night. if you get the chance to see a lightning storm from the deck it will change your life!

Food: not up to par with other hotels in the area. A few of the a la carte restaurants were great but the buffet was sub-par at the best of days.

Beautiful beach! BUT!!! make sure that you like waves because the waters are far from calm. i saw a few people got knocked over quite hard while standing in a foot of water.... this means keep your kiddies close! If you during the rainy season expect a ton of sun! or perhaps we just got lucky because it seemed to rain during the evening and blaze during the day. lots of locals also vacation during the rainy season so if you're hoping for a quiet pool think again, we loved the locals so it didn't bug us much.

Buskers: We felt that they were quite aggressive in comparison with other places we have been. there was a gentleman playing guitar on the beach who would go to people who were sleeping (Eyes Closed!) and wake them up with a flurry of strumming! it was unlike anything i've ever seen. he would continue until paid and then he would stop and let the people go back to sleep. a little uncomfortable and it didn't make you feel incredibly safe.

The City: if you like doing tours while on holiday this will be your highlight, there were so many unbelievably good tours available a few of the most notable being: 1) Tequila factory/zipline/atv adventure all in one tour!!!!!! need i say more? 2) City Tour 3) island tour 4)plantation horseback riding

Surfing: any young guns looking to surf it up, this is your spot. talk to some locals and they will give you directions to one of the many surf shops in town. Cheap lessons, cheap rentals, and great surfing awaits you. (you can book through the hotel but it's way cheaper to find a surf shop and set it up yourself)

All in all the hotel was a bit of a disappointment but the location overshadowed anything that the hotel was lacking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear: ShawnSpeirs

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience in Mazatlan. I’m delighted to hear that you found our accommodation to your liking.

We know there is always room for improvement however we always strive to make each stay as close to perfection as we possibly can. In regards to the food it is unfortunate you didn’t find our buffets as great I will defiantly have a meeting with the proper department to discuss ways in we can better our food. It worries me that you felt unsafe at one point I’m taking your comment to the up most seriousness and will assure you something will be done about this.

I’m honored you choice our hotel out of all the other hotels we have here and that you were also able to enjoy much of what Mazatlan has to offer it is never a dull day here there is always something new and exciting to do which is why we are so lucky to live here day to day!

We hope in a future visit you can notice all our improvements for our main objective is the satisfaction of our customers.

Kind Regards!

General Manager.

1,328 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was my first time staying at this hotel but my wife and her family have stayed there a lot of times before we were married. I would recommend this hotel to anybody but suggest them to take a close look at the all inclusive package. I have stayed at other all inclusive resorts and there all inclusive actually meant that everything was included, as far as food, drinks and some activities go. Here it means all restaurants except for one, all drinks except for premium drinks (buchanan's, martell and other more expensive drinks and beer cans). The drinks that you order taste good but you can see that the liquors that are being used aren't from the top brands. The food that we did eat was very good, no complaints. Everything looked clean and staff was always making sure there was nothing empty.
Also, beware of ordering food at the beach, it is way overpriced. ($65 pesos ($5US) for an order of fries or $95 pesos ($8US) for nachos).
The staff was very good, the only complaint is that they serve guests that give big tips first and looked almost like they were "bought" by the big tippers. All inclusive is supposed to be including all tips but when we tipped generously the service was way faster. Not a big problem because I would probably give the big tippers faster service as well.
We had a room with 2 double beds and travelling with 2 young children (2 years and 2 months). Very good room, cleaned daily, the beds were good also.
The beach was very good, very clean water and were able to go in very far.

Room Tip: All in all a great hotel, just make sure that you know what is included in all inclusive.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear: Gilberto R

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and opinions. With each guest comment we receive, we view it as an opportunity to learn and understand our guest’s experiences.

I really appreciated your recommendation in this recent review, I’m happy to read that you are able to enjoyed our clean rooms, the service provided for our staff was always courteous also that you and your family have the pleasure to enjoyed a clean and clear beach.

I regret the inconvenience of the all inclusive and the service provided for our waiters this is not acceptable for us. We always care for each of our customers and not matter if they tip or not, we will verify this situation closely and we take the measure to do it in the right way.

Hope to have the opportunity of being your host on a future visit to demonstrate how well we can take care of our guests.

Cordially,

East Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

we have wonderful time at the bar of the hotel as well when we were spending good times at the beach in overall most of the people who worked there are very friendly one of them is lety at the lobby bar and jorge by the beach.

Room Tip: rooms on the side of the street are quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear: Marco Q

Many thanks for taking time and effort to share your wonderful experiences to the readers of the TripAdvisor.

We are very glad to read about your kind review and charming words about our staff Lety from lobby bar and Jorge by the beach it’s good to know that they bring to you a wonderful service and care of your during your stay at bar or beach side. Be assure that they be recognized for the hard work.

Once again, thank you so much for your confidence in our service and providing us with such constructive remarks and thank you for choosing El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel as your holiday destination in Mazatlan. I am sure you will become our frequent guest and will all be more than happy to welcome you back soon!

My best,

General Manager.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the resort; bedspreads should be washed more often. We had the all inclusive deal which sounds good but unfortunately the food is not of good standard. Unfortunately you will always have people touching food and sneezing and coughing over the buffet food, which is very off putting. We thought well we will make a booking and go to one of the a la carte restaurants, where we hoped the standard of food would be different, but unfortunately mistaken. We (party of 6) all had a prawn/shrimp dish at the Italian restaurant, 2 people vomited soon after leaving and 1 person, myself traveled home to Australia with "MEXICAN BELLY". Went to docs soon after arriving in Australia and prescribed antibiotics. Well let me say I will not be going there again. The activity team during the day were fantastic and pool area great. Beach was just a hop, skip and jump away. Sorry but had to be truthful.

Room Tip: overlooking the pool and ocean
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear: Mid 1962

Allow us to thank you for taking the time to write this review in which you share your recent experiences in our hotel. We take our comments as an essential way to better improve our hotel. I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered. It concerns me to read your comment in regards to our food, I would like to point out that we care for our guests health as it is our number one priority to have the proper hygienic procedure which is why I was a bit shocked to read this, this is not a common issue we have, if you can see in any previous reviews , it could possibly be that your stomach was not a costume in the way we prepare our dishes in Mexico as in Australia it tends to happen when people travel Never the less I will take the proper precautions and organize a meeting with my Food and Beverages staff to double check our foods. Although you had a rough experience with our food I’m glad you were fond of my staff and the exemplarity service. There is no need for you to apologize on the contrary we appreciate your honest opinion and concerns. We really do hope you could come and give us another try in a near feature I can assure you that you will see our improvements.

Warm Regards

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

So..let's start by saying this..I am a timeshare owner and i had the most wonderful time with my group of 5 friends/family that went. They were very impressed by the VIP service we recieved. We had a HUGE 2 bedroom suite on the 16th floor that offered amazing views. The room was super roomy! The sauna in room and jacuzzi were a plus!

I want to thank first most...FELIX!! This man was AMAZING!! He kept us well fed and hydrated! Anything we asked for..he provided with a big smile on his face! We had no one else wait on us! I can go on and on about Felix! The staff at La Concha...thank you for making dinner great every night (the "team captain" was a lil rude with the employees..not really appreciated that..the morning one that is) BTW we only ate at La Concha for breakfast and dinner..The Marina restaurant..Lobster was delish! We went to the sushi but sadly we had a horrible waiter and didn't get a chance to taste the food...we walked out after waiting for 30 mins for our rolls! Room service was great..easy to order and delivered in a timely manner!
Maria our housekeeper...she always did a great job with our 2 bedroom suite..and was sweet as sugar!!
We didn't do much as we went to relax...and giving that I am already a timeshare member..the sale pitch..was really no big deal!
My only complain...the people selling on the beach..we sat out in the beach one day...(the day that Felix was working that area :) And they can get annoying..we had one lady beg us for a dollar at the end of the day because she had sold nothing..i get it..its tough and there is not much the resort can do..but if i told you "not interested" the first 5 times...i think they should get the hint. We didnt get in the ocean as they had jelly fish..but that didn't bother us...we stayed by the pool anyways. We did the all-inclusive and for us it worked just great..for all the lobster...shrimp and steak we ate..all the booze we wanted..it was perfect!

Overall...i can't complain about the resort...we had a blast and plan on going back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear: Saby1978

I appreciate the time given to write this review for we know your time is valuable, let me start of by thanking you for become part of our family and buying a time share it’s great to hear you brought other to come along and enjoy our Facilities so they can also have an opportunity to Experience an unforgettable vacation. Felix is a great person and I’m glad to hear he was able to give you such exemplary service good to have him on board with us I will definitely give him the proper congrats. So I see you got a chance to try some of our Ala Cart dinners glad you enjoyed them we always try and have the best quality of food and always have them tasting delicious however I am a bit concerned about the lack of attention the waiter in t he sushi bar provided rest assure that this will be taken very serious for it is not expectable to have such behavior for we always take pride in doing what we do and make sure it is done right I again apologies for this and can assure you it will no longer happen again. As far as the beach sellers yes we try our hardest to try and distant the sellers away from our guest but there’s only so much we can do given the fact that the beaches are not private property but fear not for we will try and come up with new ways as a team to try and solve this issue we are having with them I can’t assure anything but I will guarantee you that will be taking this comment very serious and into consideration.

My best,

Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

In addition to the great accommodations and location, the Activities Crew by the pools were great! From the first day they recognized our kids by name and found them for fun group activities! Especially great were Brenda, Alejandra. The waiters around the pool work hard to keep us in drinks on these very hot days. Ramon and Thomas were great! We wanted a certain drink but the bar tenders didn't know it so Ramon worked to make it perfect!

Room Tip: Stay in the Castillo tower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear: LisafromEncinitas

Many thanks for your kind remarks relating to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

I’m happy that you enjoyed our accommodations and the service provided from the activities team especially with Brenda and Alejandra.

We are so happy to know that you have stayed with us and have experienced our superior customer service. We are extremely proud of our efforts in maintaining a very high level of customer service, and we want to thank you for your recognition. Thank you also for mentioning the great staff, especially Ramon and Thomas around the pool! They are a real asset to our hotel and I will be sure to convey your compliments to them.

We look forward to having with us again; please contact me personally if there is anything I can do to make your stay with us more comfortable.

Kind regards,

Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We leave tomorrow and the staff at El Cid Marina are what made this trip so rewarding. While it isn't 5 star luxury and the food isn't 5 star the people of El Cid make it so. We were treated very well, from complimentry upgraded room from a junior suite to a 1 bedroom - unfortunately there was no balcony on the 1 bedroom so they gave us one that did a couple of days later that faces the sea. The wait staff, front desk, maids, ground keepers, shuttle drivers everyone are amazingly respectful, friendly and always smiling - they know customer service! We tried food at some of the other properties and by far the best food came from the El Cid Marina restaurant. I recommend upgrading to the all inclusive elite, the food selection is much better. Room service is good too but the food in the restaurant is better. Be sure to bring money for tips - they make a living off other people's generosity. We walked all along the beach one morning and it was lovely and went out to see the cliff divers. Very quite resort, I haven't slept this good in years. We visited the Malecon but if you want a vacation with lots of things to do this isn't the place to go and we came to relax and the staff here made that really easy!

Room Tip: ask for room with ocean view not marina view and be sure to ask for a room with a balcony some dont...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!