“An excellent stay again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #13 of 74 hotels in Mazatlan
Princeton, Canada
“An excellent stay again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Our third stay and was as our previous visits excellent! Cesar in particular(now at the Italian restaurant)was once again above and beyond our expectations.Raul at the front desk was very helpful/attentive.Overall all staff were and have been great.My brother/wife myself/wife look forward to our trip next year

• Stayed April 2013
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear: rayseekers

Thank you for choosing us for your third time and for share your comments to your recent experience at El Cid Castilla.

We feel so proud to read that we meet your expectations in each one of your visit, and for note that Cesar, Raúl and the rest of staff helping to make your vacation even more memorable, I will pass your comments with them, and recognized their excellent labor.

We sincerely look forward to having with us and keep providing a great experience, once again thank you for your remarks.

Kind Regards,

1,312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Anoka, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

WARNING - long review!

We stayed 4 nights in late April with this being our 3rd all-inclusive (others were in Cancun and Cabo). We got an awesome deal on "Cheap Caribbean" and figured we'd give Mazatlan a try! We booked an ocean view room and asked to be on a higher floor and low and behold, we had a great view on the 14th floor. The room appeared to have been remodeled at some point but was still a little rough around the edges (if you wanted to be picky). The room also had a certain smell the entire time (which seems to be common in those warm environments). We didn't plan on spending much time in the room anyway and were so in love with the view that the room met are needs just fine. On a quick side note, I'll say the description on Cheap Caribbean said there would be a king bed and minibar (neither were correct). I think the majority of the rooms have double beds and no minibar. The exception is probably the timeshare units that have kitchenettes and additional amenities (don't quote me on that :)

We reserved our excursion and airport transfer prior to arrival and were met promptly at the airport by "King David" transfers. Speaking of the airport, it is much quieter than Cabo/Cancun and the immigration process was quick and smooth! We had roughly a 30 min drive to hotel and were greeted by a lobby full of guests trying to check in. We appeared to be the only Americans/Canadians checking in and a helpful bellhop directed us to another counter behind the main one where the front desk gal appeared to give him a dirty look but we got checked in nice and smooth. We paid for the regular and not the "elite" all-inclusive package and it met our needs just fine. I'm guessing people who want to play/golf tennis, eat at all the al a carte restaurants, get cans of beer instead of tap might want the elite package, but I couldn't justify the extra cost. You do have to go into the "club elite" area by walking up a little ramp near the lobby bar to both make dinner reservations and check out by the way (they were very nice in there).

We mainly ate in the downstairs buffet except for going over to the country club across the street for sushi 2 nights (which was awesome, quiet and a little more romantic)! The downstairs buffet had a little bit of a cafeteria feel but the staff were awesome. We also usually had a lunch/snack in the beachside grill which always satisfied my craving for chicken after an earlier morning workout! Speaking of working out, the gym is also located across the street in the country club behind the tennis courts near the golf carts/caddy shack. They printed me out a receipt with a zero balance the first time I worked out but just had me sign in with my room number on subsequent visits (you also have to sign receipts at al a carte restaurants but do not incur charges).

When it came to the resort, we spent about half our time near the pool just lounging and the rest of our time checking out stone, deer islands and a couple local establishments. We did a catamaran to deer island that I'd highly recommend through mazatlantours.org. We just did our own thing at stone island by taking an open air taxi to the port...then a water taxi across the bay where a friendly staffer got us on a shuttle with her to the hotel she worked at. We bought a day pass there for just over $20 bucks and they served us frosty Pacifico throughout the day. It was sad that the little hotel ("Marigold" something maybe) was mostly empty. It was a beautiful little place.

To sum up everything about the trip and the hotel (if I can). The people of Mazatlan are gracious and welcoming. It's much quieter than Cancun and definitely more laid back. It also seems to be a popular tourist destination for Mexican citizens (which we didn't mind). I would definitely go there with an open mind and a flexible attitude. If someone is looking for a more commercialized, touristy location filled with mostly Canadians/Americans - this might not be a good fit. I would also recommend learning some basic Spanish as it shows respect and helps things along. Most staff speak some English or are fluent. If they don't understand you, they will find someone who does for you. I would also recommend brining at least $100 in single bills for tipping. Staff and local residents work so hard and deserved to be tipped for their services. The front desk staff (behind the main desk/same area where we checked in) were also kind enough to exchange a couple 20 dollar bills into pesos for me for tips (think it came to around 230 pesos).

I think an article located in the country club lobby said it best - "Mazatlan deserves a second chance!"

Room Tip: Get a higher room in the tower - nice and quiet with great views!
Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear: Adam K

I love this review, thank you so much to provide comments regarding your recent visit to Mazatlan.

I am pleased with the aspects of the hotel for which you have commented positively such as the nice rooms, restaurant like Pergola, sushi, gym at the country club and the most important the terrific personalized service you received from our staff; I am glad to hear that he and the rest of the staff anticipated your needs and went beyond expectations. Great service is not a matter of luck here at El Cid, I am sure you'll have seen many smiling clients who like you, enjoyed their stay.

At El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel we are very fortunate in many ways; we offer a great product and location. Our biggest asset is our associates. Most of them have been here since opening.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly in the future if I can be of assistance with securing you a room with us in a location of the hotel that would meet your needs.

Thank you again for the comments, we will use them and cherish them to continue in striving to be the best we can be!
With warm regards,

Kind regards,

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We picked the El Cid Castilla mainly based upon the price. We did however look at many reviews and for the majority they looked positive so we booked it. This was a birthday present to myself and also my opportunity to suprise my girlfriend by proposing on her first ever visit to a beach in her life. It was PERFECT! The food was more than we ever could have hoped for and the staff was all very courteous and helpful. Our favorite was Giovanni and dinner at the La Gruta. He was probably the best server I have ever had in my life anywhere, however all waitstaff were very good and someone was always seeking us out to refill our drinks mostly before they were even empty. Now that I am engaged :), my fiancee and I will most definitely return to the El Cid, and hopefully soon.

Room Tip: We opted for the Elite package and stayed in an oceanview room. They were nicer rooms with plenty of...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear: Dsorensen

I appreciate you taking the time in writing this review and letting us know your amazing feedback. We feel honored that you picked our hotel amongst so many hotels Mazatlan has to offer as well as for letting us be a part on such a huge moment in your life regarding your engagement Congratulations. Mazatlan is known for its beautiful beaches and scenery you picked the right place to have had the first beach experience.

I’m glad you found our hotel to fit your standers for we always strive to make it the best hotel it can possibly be and it brings me great joy for you recognition for this helps other people see how great our hotel it and encourage others to come and give us a try.

Rest assure that my staff will be given the recognition they for the outstanding labor. We can’t wait to have the pleasure of hosting you again.

My best wishes,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a great resort, it definitely is dated now and needs a serious overhaul. They have been renovating to update the pool area. It has a nice atmosphere, it's close to the strip (5 min car journey) has plenty of shops outside, a great family resort feel. The rooms are dated but clean and the price isn't too high comparable to other hotels in the area. The pool area is great, it's a fun place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear: Dean T

Thank you so much for let us know your remarks to your recent stay at El Cid Castilla.
I’m so glad to read that you are able to enjoyed our renovated pools, our cleans rooms, and in general that the hotel is a great place to stay.

In order to provide a best service ever, we keep working in remodeling our areas to provide a good service for all our customers and to be a first hotel of your choice when you decide to come Mazatlan.

I really want to host you in a not distance future for more fun, I am almost positive you will see our improvements

My best,

General Manager.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This resort is amazing. We had an ocean view room, overlooking the pool. The room was smaller and not as fancy as anticipated, but when you're at a resort in Mexico, you don't want to spend a lot of time in your room. The staff are amazing, particularly Ricardo who was our server for breakfast and lunch, as well as Ivan in the lobby bar. I genuinely recommend everyone to visit this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear: Rachel K

Please receive this note that expresses our gratitude to your kindness of completing a review of your stay in El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. Thank you for your trust on behalf of the whole team.

My staff was very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our ocean view, the pool, and the amazing staff the best asset to be different from other hotels they. We try our very best to go above and beyond for you in fact does get a lot of comments and he has been recognized on a number of occasions.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not so distant future and please do not hesitate to let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I could not have chose a better vacation, the hotel may be a bit dated, but the waterfalls, the pools and all the flowing water make up for everything lacking. The beaches are beautiful, you can walk them for miles, and no hotel has tried to rock off their beach like they did in Puerto Vallarta, the people are friendly , I took the Stone Island tour with a huge Mexican family, met many Canadians and Americans, and really had an excellent time. I will never be afraid to go back solo again, though next time I hope my friend goes with me! Ricardo, Ernesto, all the waiters and all the bar people work very hard to see that everyone is looked after. Keep up the great work!

Room Tip: ,pool view I had also had an ocean view!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear: Lilm486

What a pleasant review, I am very proud to read that you experienced at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel was excellent during your vacation in Mazatlan.

Thank you so much for your recommendations to our hotel, we love the way you describe our facilities and I’m sure this can be help to future travelers to take a decision about which hotel to choose on the future trips to Mazatlan.

I have passed your compliments to our entire bar team who were indeed delighted at your gesture and they thank you for your generous comments…Ricardo and Rogelio were especially happy to know how much they made a difference to your stay. We know it is not always easy to satisfy all our customer's wants but, we will always try our best for you.

Thank you for giving us the possibility to demonstrate our gratitude and for placing your confidence at our Hotel.

Best Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I am so glad I went to this resort. I loved absolutely everything about this place - the openness, the food, the perfect location on the ocean, and the staff are just wonderful. Ricardo was our server for breakfast and lunch and was just a genuinely great guy. I also had beyond great service from Ivan from the lobby bar who kept me and my friends coming for more drinks every night. Thank you Ricardo and thank you Ivan for making my stay that much more awesome. I hope I have the opportunity to see you again very soon either at the resort or here in Calgary, Alberta.

• Stayed April 2013
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear: Pslmonteverde

I´m more than happy to read your great comment regarding the service provided from our staff, I really appreciated the time you provide us to write this nice words to our employees, We are proud to having people like Ricardo, Ivan who work hard every day to provide a good experience to all our customer and letting them a good memories.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I will be eagerly waiting for your next visit to Mazatlan!

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!