“Wonderful Stay with Grandchildren” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 70% Off
Ranked #12 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Victoria, Canada
“Wonderful Stay with Grandchildren”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

The El Cid is a great All Inclusive Hotel for families. We had adjoining rooms for our two 14 year old grandchildren and it was perfect overlooking the beach.
The service was superb. Shows were good also. Luv the beach.
The Spa/Golfing were great. The Grandkids both had heat stroke and needed Drs. care in the middle of the night and we had the best of care by the Dr. and staff. The rooms are huge and roomy with a jacuzzi in the main room. Nice balconies. Great location very central for us.
A good All Inclusive Hotel in Mazatlan.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the beach rooms are lovely. Big roomy with adjoining rooms for the family. Jacuzz...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Buncy P,

It always makes my day when I see such wonderful feedback about our hotel,
We are always happy to serve you and make your vacation an unforgettable one, It sadness me to hear that your grandkids got sick but I’m glad our staff was able to help you in your time of need.

I hope you keep coming make with us so you can get to enjoy some new activities we coming up with, were always trying to think outside the box and think of new ways to change things up !

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the El Cid Castilla from Jan 12 - Jan 23, 2013. This was our eighth time at the El Cid Castilla and once again it was a great vacation. As always the staff went out of their way to ensure we had a wonderful time. I would like to make special mention of a few of the staff at the El Cid. Angelita and Ramon at the Pergola restaurant once again gave us incredible service. Martin at the pool side bar was an excellent bartender and always had a smile on his face. Fernando at poolside activities did a phenomenal job and thank you for the Spanish lessons.
And Laura of third floor housekeeping always took the time to chat with us and made sure our room was imaculate. Our friends always ask us why we keep going back to the same place year after year and our response is "Once you have found paradise why would you want to change."
We will definately be returning soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are good at the El Cid Castilla.
Dear Tiggerboots,

It was our pleasure having you here at the resort and it warms my heart to hear such wonderful comments about our hotel. It lets me know we are heading towards the right direction in making El Cid a great enjoyable vacation getaway,

Rest assure I will inform the staff Angelita, Ramon, Martin, Fernando y Laura on the excellent service they will be thrilled to hear how their hard work has paid off by making others vacations a memorable one.

We look forward to having you stay with us again and make new experiences.

Warm grettings,

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 weeks there from middle of Jan 2013. The views from the beach and the top of the hotel are breathtaking. We took the all-inclusive which includes food and drinks (including alcoholic drinks). Service was outstanding. While lounging at the two huge, feature-rich (including swim up bar) pools, one could get a drink hand delivered every 20 min. or so. The beds were a bit on the hard side, but the room was spotless and conveniently laid out with marble floors and sound-dispersing textured walls and ceilings. Initially we were in room 0205 but found that the sound of the pumps keeping the pool water circulating was too loud, so we asked for a different room and were offered 0408, which had a better view as well as being far enough away from the noise. My wife has a mobility scooter and the bell-hop immediately rounded up a ramp which allowed her to ride over the step up from the hall into the room. This was our second stay at the El Cid. On the first trip, three years earlier, we were initially in the Granada but moved to the Castilla to get closer to the beach. We were very impressed with the service on that trip as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ullrich F,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel. My desire is to keep improving on making El Cid Resort the best it can be, and hoping our staff keeps up the good work because they are a big reason in why this hotel has become what it is today and for that I am grateful.

I'm happy to see that you enjoyed our food and beverage, at the quiet pool and cleaning in our rooms and areas. Regarding to the beds we have mattress topper thats maybe was to be helpful.

I hope you keep coming back and grow even fonder of our hotel.

Greetings,

Slvaore Sanchez
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I've now stayed at the El Cid twice, both have been good experiences.
Rooms: Nice and clean.
Activities: Great staff - Enrike, Bruno & friends, always willing to play chess & jenga!
Restaurant/Food: Pretty good food overall, but could have smaller 'lunch' or half portions. Also fun staff! Armando, Memo, Ramon & Michel!
Elite: Great staff - Thanks Estefany!

Room Tip: Beautiful ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear: CoastalRiders

We are so pleased you chose El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel for your recent visit to our fabulous city! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your great experience.

Thank you for informing Tripadvisor users with some details about your experiences at our hotel like the great staff from activities, the food and beverage on the restaurants and our nice and cleans rooms which are mostly important for travelers. As you have seen we take great pride in what we do at El Cid Resorts, so appreciate greatly such comments.

El Cid Resorts and Enrike, Bruno, Armando Michelle and Estefany are honored to be the hotel of your choice on your return trips to Mazatlan. We will see you again next Vacation.

Greetings,

General Manager.
Santa Barbara, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the El Cid Castilla for a long weekend in January. We jumped on a fantastic deal the hotel was offering thru CareFree Vacations as seen on Travelzoo. We really enjoyed our time at the all inclusive hotel and its restaurants......for teh most part The hotel is older but is in very good condiiton. It's clean,open and airy. The staff was very friendly and provided great service. This includes all staff from maintenance and housekeeping to front desk to restaurant/bar wait staff. We ate at all three restaurants. Our favorite was the El Patio Argentinian and it's beautiful outdoor setting near the pool. The food and service here was fantastic.

The only criticism we have for the hotel is the amount of pressure we received to participate in the 90 minute timeshare presentation. These are done by hotel employees who hover in the lobby. They approach during the check in process and say they need to talk to you about how the all inclusinve meal plans work. That part takes about a minute and the rest of the time they are pressuring you to visit a presentation/seminar. We said no and thought that would be the end of it. Well the next morning we received TWO phone calls to our room (while we were sleeping) asking us if we would attend. That was inappropriate. Later that day we walked past the timeshare people in the lobby and they stopped us to ask us when we would be attending the seminar. We said NO. The next morning we received ANOTHER phone call asking us to go (again while we were sleeping). Now we were just pissed.

The only other criticism we have was for the aggressive beach vendors. I fully understand that vendors are a part of being in Mexico but these vendors iwere inside of the roped off poriton of beach belonging to the hotel. We could not enjoy the beautifil beach because of the relentless harrassment of the vendors. If I had a dollar for everytime I said "No thank you" it would have paid for the trip. A simple solution would be for the hotel to place a security guard or two on each end the roped off beach section and kept the vendors out. Would have made for a much more enjoyable beach experience. We ended up spending the days by the pool (which was really great for an older hotel) but really wanted to lay on the beach all day and couldnt because of the vendors.

Would we go back????? Absolutely. We felt safe. The weather was great even in January and Mexico tourism needs a boost. We would make it very clear that any contact from the timeshare people is unwanted and calling our room is off limits.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at El Cid over the MLK weekend and had a great time. We had booked the trip through Travelzoo and Caljet air for a really good deal. While Caljet had pretty lame customer service (changing the time of flights without notifying us, flight delays that got us to the hotel at 2am), El Cid was wonderful. They stayed up in the lobby waiting for our van to arrive and quickly checked us in. We didn't feel pressured to do the timeshare tour, and they gave us all the advice we asked for. The service was very attentive and we never had empty drinks the entire weekend. A word to the wise: while they charge 10 pesos for the bottled water in the room, you can get it for free at the bars and restaurants. They are kind of stingy about it, but you just have to keep asking. The staff in the restaurants were great, but the food was pretty average. The only meal I was wowed by was breakfast in the el cid moro beach restaurant by the pool. The machado dish is AMAZING! All in all, it was a great trip and we would recommend it to anyone. Maybe not 5 star accommodations, but definitely 4.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear SwiftTrips,

I am delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay here with us. It is unfortunate you dealt with problems with your agency, But I’m glad our staff was able to help you guys in your time of need. Regarding the water bottle in the room the reason the waters are a charge is because the proceeds go to a foundation we have here in El Cid.
We are working on expanding our food variety we also just recently opened a new restaurant called “La Gruta” we hope if you stay with us again you will be able to try it and maybe give you a second outlook on our food. I appreciate

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed at the El Moro a few years ago and really were not all that impressed with the rooms. I wrote a review at that time but then after many trips to Mazatlan and years on this forum I thought maybe I was a little harsh. The El Cid properties were getting great reviews and the prices are great so I thought I'd give it another try - worried that I'd be embarrassed about my previous review. Well, it was pretty accurate. It's not that El Cid is terrible and that you won't enjoy your vacation because you will but there are some things they definitely need to work on.

We'll start with check in. I had contacted the hotel prior to our trip and requested two adjoining, non smoking rooms as we were travelling with our children. When we arrived we were taken to two rooms that had seven ashtrays in them and were not adjoining. When I returned to the front desk I was told that all rooms were non-smoking. Well, I know from experience that if you put ashtrays in hotel rooms, smokers will use them and having severe allergies it has ruined a trip before when I was exposed and got sick. So I insisted on moving to a real non smoking room. They also told me that the hotel did not have adjoining rooms. However, when I kept insisting they were able to locate two adjoining non-smoking rooms 8001 and 8002. So we went back got our bags and moved rooms.

Walking into the rooms we were not impressed. The beds are flat, thin and rock hard. The linens are thin and stained. The pillows are flat and hard. Not a nice welcoming bed that we have enjoyed at so many other resorts in Mexico. The two chairs in the room were worn and stained. Not very inviting. Just an old dresser and old style tv in the room. Nothing special. The pictures on their website do not represent the rooms we were in. We certainly did not have a renovated room.

We also had a problem with our shower the entire time we were there. Our shower leaked and we would have water all over the floor every day. Maintenance came. He didn't speak English and my Spanish does not include words that relate to faucet repair but I thought he said that he had to order a part and he'd be back in a day or two. We never saw him again and the faucet was never fixed. Beyond that, the temperature and pressure in the shower is just bad. Every shower we had was terrible. Hardly any water pressure and the temperature would literally go from cold to scalding hot in a second and then go back again. Oh, and getting hand towels or the little tiny bottles of shampoo replaced was almost impossible. Had to call down several times to get basic amenities replenished. And they only provide shampoo, not conditioner. I recommend bringing your own.

Let me say some positive things before I move onto the food. The location of El Cid is excellent and the staff are excellent. They really want to make your vacation special and will provide you good service so please tip them well. The views, the beach and the pools are great (although there is an odd smell coming from the El Moro pool that we could never figure out on either of our two trips). But the kids love jumping off the cliff and the pool is always packed. Poolside was always busy but we were always able to pull a couple of chairs together from different locations to have a seat as we always arrived later in the morning.

Okay, onto the food. I have to say the food is terrible. You have to remember though, we are seasoned Mazatlan travellers and know how great all the food is just outside the doors of the hotels and also how cheap it is! So after trying a couple of meals at El Cid we went out for most of the remainder of our meals despite the fact that we paid for an All Inclusive package. One morning we went to La Pergola for the buffet breakfast. In my experience, even when a resort has mediocre food you can always count on a great breakfast buffet in Mexico. They are usually pretty consistent across resorts and offer a huge selection of great options including the ever popular egg station which you can never go wrong at. Wrong! The lady at our station was so slow and only made one omelette at a time. We waited 20 minutes for a couple of over easy eggs. But that is not the worst of it. While waiting we also were watching and what we saw was disgusting. When cleaning off her spatula the egg lady would bang her spatula on a big, dirty garbage can and then scrape the remnants into the garbage can - and then just use the spatula again. It was gross. And this was after we were seated at a table that was just filthy from dinner the night before. When I complained to a waiter about it he did nothing so I went to the manager and he immediately cleaned the table and replaced the linens but by that point I was done and could not eat there so we left and went and had a great breakfast at Loco's Loco's. Oh and one other thing - if you want water in the morning forget it. The restaurant has none - if you can believe it! And even trying to get a bottle of water before heading out in the morning is impossible until the bars are open. They do have two bottles of water in your room for a fee but they are room temperature and there are no mini-fridges in the regular rooms.

And if you paid for All Inclusive do not think that you are really getting All Inclusive. There are many places where you can't eat - La Conchita, La Concha, La Marina, the pool bar across from La Conchita and the steak house at the Granada. Room Service is not included. WiFi costs 300 pesos per week - even if you paid for AI which I think is absolutely ridiculous in this day and age.

We still had a great vacation and love Mazatlan. This trip taught us though that we would probably enjoy a very different type of vacation in Mazatlan so for our next trip in March we are going to try staying in a condo. That will give us excellent accommodations, beautiful pool and ocean views and the ability to go out and explore Mazatlan and enjoy all our favorite restaurants and all the great food that Mazatlan has to offer!

The Castilla does provide excellent value as we were able to stay over Xmas and New Years for a very reasonable rate but our tastes in travel have evolved over the years to where we enjoy a more upscale experience. If you get a great deal, your family will enjoy their trip to the Castilla but just know what to expect before you get there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear: SunSeeker37

We truly appreciate your feedback about your recent vacation at El Cid Castilla Beach, as positive and negative comments are tools that help us measure our guests’ satisfaction and our success. I am shocked and very disappointed to hear that your stay at our hotel was unsatisfactory. Allow me to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced.

Regarding your comments related to our hotel, we are constantly making renovations and improvements to enhance our facilities and service offerings. We recently opened a new poolside restaurant, La Gruta, and we are in the final stages of remodeling our principal rooms. Given your comments, we will soon be implementing a new program where our maintenance team will check all rooms to make sure they are in perfect condition.

It concerns me that you appear to have had bad experiences with cleanliness, as we work hard to maintain high standards and are proud recipients of the Distinctive H sanitation program. Rest assured, we shared your comments with the managerial team and each will be taken care of immediately. It is surprising to hear that El Patio restaurant was not included in your All Inclusive package. Let me clarify that both the food and beverage at El Patio is included, plus four other restaurant dining options for dinner. Regarding Internet services, there is a charge for WiFi because we have an external company who provides this service. They regularly check the areas to ensure service is working well but we obviously fell short during your stay.

We wish we had the opportunity speak with you to address your concerns during your stay with us before your departure, thereby providing us an opportunity to make amends and improve your experience.

My best wishes,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!