“Family safety warning” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Up to 50% Off Air + Hotel
Ranked #19 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Castlegar
“Family safety warning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We booked into the Moro through RCI but were put in Castilla which is next door. We had a nice large 2 bedroom on one of the top floors. This was actually last year Nov 2011. I don't normally write reviews out of laziness but my conscience nagged me to do it. This is a good place to vacation with one major flaw. If you have a toddler or 2 you should avoid the top floors. On the balcony and even worse the walkway from elevator to room there is a large open gap that a child could very easily slip right through to certain death. We had to lock the balcony doors and always carry our child from the room to the elevator. If we had more than 1 kid we would have required a different room. Hopefully nothing has ever happened but I don't see why there is a design need for any risk at all? Not every building had this problem though.
Otherwise one of the bathrooms always gave rusty water, the moro pool was cold, the breakfast buffet near the beach served cold food and the food at the Castilla pool was not good.
On the bright side the room was clean and spacious with 3 bathrooms, the food at the Moro pool was good, the water at the Castilla pool was warm, and the staff and view was excellent.

Room Tip: Stick to lower floors if you have small children, unless they can fly.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Castleguardian

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, our guest comments are a very important to us in helping us become a better hotel. First and four most I would like to start of by apologizing for the inconveniences you encountered throughout your stay rest assure that we are taking everything you said into consideration. Regarding the room you stayed in we have made some maintenance so problems like this wont be encountered. However I am glad to hear that despite the inconveniences you had there were also good ones. Here at El Cid we strive to always give the best service we possibly can and I am glad to hear that our staff was able to provided that for you. Once again I apologize your experiences wasn’t it’s best but I hope you can give us another chance and change your prospective.

warm greetings,

Salvatore Sanchez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

We go to El Cid every other year and it just gets better and better. The check-in was quick and easy thanks to Gaby. The service at the La Pergola was an unexpected surprise, many thanks to Eduardo. Desayuno (breakfast) at La Cascada almost every morning offered us a pleasant sunny view of the pool, quick & friendly service thanks to Luis.
I do not go to the evening entertainment, which they have at La Pergola at 8 p.m. but this year we went four times. The best was the traditional Mexican fiesta and it was an exceptional treat. There was a eight-man Mariachi band with two singers. I recall one singer's name was Oscar and the other I did not hear over the loud clapping (so he must have been popular!) They were not lip-syncing to the music, as you sometime see. Obviously they were not amateurs. One performer actually came out into the audience and sang several songs and danced with the girls. Fantastic entertainer and a great way to get the audience participating!
At the pool we met Fra. Renteria and as pool-side servers go, he was always up-beat, always enjoying his job, making small-talk with us. He offered to sell us three bottles of El Cid tequila - at first I was suspicious but then later found out it was 100% agave, reposada and really not too bad tasting! One bottle did not last long in our room and we took the other bottles back with us.
I want to thank Ana at the Country Club - la casa club - for her skilled hands on my aching shoulders, neck and back. from the long flight to Mazatlan.
We love the El Cid. Every time we do more exploring and learn about more thing to do and see, like take the shuttle to the Marina and hangout.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the El Moro tower are convenient - pool, shops, bar.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear: U-dub-el-yoo
It gives me great joy to hear about your experience and what a wonderful time you had here with us! We always strive to make our guest vacation unforgettable and keep them coming for more. Im so happy to hear such great feedback of our staff we always try to give our all to satisfy our guests rest assure they well be congratulated on their great work! I’m glad you liked our shows in la pergola we always try to find a new way to change things up a bit and always have our guests participating such as with activities in the pool area!
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I hope you will come visit us again soon!!

My best,

arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was our 2nd trip to Mazatlan and El Cid Castilla. Last trip we went all inclusive, this time Elite all inclusive which was worth it. We were able to drink name brand alcohol and were able to eat at La Concha and the Marina - which had much better steaks than the other restaurants. Also La Concha has the best shrimp cocktail. La Gruta was good and we also enjoyed the Japanese restaurant at Granada. The other restaurants were ok.
The service on the beach was very good with props to Ivan (He was fun and we saw him working other areas as well), Tomas and there was one more but I can not remember his name - very attentive and we appreciate the bucket of ice to keep it all cool! Also the peel & eat shrimp and the Grilled Shrimp you can order on the beach were Excellent,,,,I could go for some right now!
We found the heated pool at the Marina and service was great there too - Thanks Miguel! It was a nice place to go to when you had enough of the sellers on the beach. & we won a T-shirt from Bingo there - Yes, I wanted to win one all week!
The girls at the Elite club were great too,,,I want to say Karla(?) was very friendly but all of them were very nice and patient with all my questions. I asked for an ocean front room and took it even though the room I was scheduled for was recently updated but it was in the castilla tower and I stayed there last time so I opted for the ocean front. Loved being right there on the ocean only 3 floors up. Only complaint would be the shower water temp switching from hot to cold without notice (But I have read about that before- I did not have that problem in the Castilla tower last time so maybe it's just the ocean front rooms) - sure wakes a person up in the morning! On our last night they started getting people in for a marathon and outside our balcony, there were Really Loud people on the beach, and then when I walked back inside, there were more on the front side of our room at about 1am....so We just turned up the air conditioner and didn't hear them anymore.
Housekeeping - Celia (?) was also very good. She made our room beautiful for our anniversary with swans & rose petals on the bed and bath. When we came back to the room we were left a bottle of wine and a cake! How thoughtfull:)
We went on both the deer island cruise and the sunset cruise. Last stay we did the Stone Island cruise. Deer island was fun - alot of wasps though, but they were harmless. Rigo our cruise director was great. The sunset cruise was very pretty and fun, even though it was probably the roughest water day while we were there. I did get some excellent photos of the sunset though. We also walked quite a bit on the beach. One day we walked all the way to that white castle building thing to the left, switched to the street and walked a ways down the boulevard on the ocean. We once again felt completely safe - just walking around the two of us, and never felt nervous one bit in the city or anywhere.
I will definately be back when I can as the service there is Absolutely Fabulous! Every where you go there are people there to help you, direct you, answer questions, get you what you need etc. Most of them also speak english too. Thier employees are also very hard workers, rarely would you see someone not cleaning or taking care of customers. Even the people taking care of the beach early morning were hard at it at the crack of dawn making sure all the lounge chairs & tables are ready for the new day.
Can't wait to go back all ready - Thanks to everyone who made our anniversary a Great one!
Lori & Jerry #3101

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear: llafave

I really appreciate for let us be part of your recent stay in Mazatlan; I was deeply concerned to read the points about the inconveniences you had due to Elite all inclusive. We take guest feedback very seriously, because it is the single most useful tool for improving our hotel and its service.

Its help to us if you let us know more about this situation, we have a many options for Elite all inclusive we have more restaurants, more food options, tennis, Golf included, a new restaurant called La Gruta which has left a very good impression on all our customers.

In the most pleasing aspect of your review was in regards to your interactions with our staff; customer service is what we pride ourselves in and we are pleased that we were able to make your stay more comfortable and pleasurable.

We wish to emphasize, that the quality of services given to our customers is a characteristic of El Cid Resorts, and this is, of course, your satisfaction and well being.

I would like to thank you again for leaving your comments as this is vital to our business if we are to monitor and improve areas that may be letting us or our guests down.

All the best

calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

4th time at this resort and was great. Although majority of the service in the restaurants was good have to single out Manolo and Humberto the captains who went out of their way. Also met the GM which was good.
Rooms are a little tired, but clean and comfortable. Food was usually good. The lobby bar was great with Leticia providing us with great service.
This is a good 3.5 star property with good value. The bellmen were also good in particular Noe , speaks great english was helpful in giving us a lot of information on getting around in Mazatlan.
Would go back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear: migguel

Thank you so much for your choosing us for 4th time at El Cid Resort, for me is a great pleasure to be fortunate enough to be chosen in among options in Mazatlan.

I am glad to know the staff provides a great service; I know the staff will be truly happy that they made a positive impact on your stay. Leticia, Manolo, Humberto y Noe especially will be grateful.

We look forward in welcoming you back to El Cid El Castilla and remain at your entire disposal for any assistance you might require.

Warm Greetings,

Lititz, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Wow! What an amazing experience. From the moment we checked in, everyone was so attentive and helpful. Breakfast starts the day with a bountiful buffet, Ricardo Simental, Martin Rodriguez, Gabriel Ayon,were our waiters and we wanted for nothing. Guillermo Garciawe was the captain; he and they were so courteous and saw to our every need. We couldn't have asked for better service. The rooms were clean and fresh. There were many restaurants to choose from for dinner and the food in all was excellent. Each night the El Cid put on an hour long show with music and dancers to entertain us. The MC Enrique did a fantastic job, smoothly switching from Spanish to English and making the evening much fun. The resort offered two large pools, and a beautiful beach and several nice shops. There were several tours to choose from and there was something that appealed to every one of us. I would definitely recommend this resort!!
I do have to mention that the tour company - PronoTours - was not so accommodating. We had conflicting prices for one of the tours where we paid the higher price quoted from Heidi in the resort, where it was listed in the office at a lower rate. When we were leaving, we waited almost 30 minutes for a shuttle to the airport, which we had arranged with them and paid for the night before. When we questioned it, we found that we were not even on their list, and we had to join the next shuttle to get to the airport.
We stayed at the El Cid for 6 days and I would stay here again if I were to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest, your contributions it’s really helpful for me to know the experience of our customers have. An apologies for the inconvenience you may have with pronatours, we are concerned to read you’re not completely satisfied with their service. Be assure will pass all your comments to the manager in charge of pronatours to take a note about all your suggestion.

In other way I’m really proud for the excellent work provided from Ricardo, Martin, Gabriel and Guillermo at La pergola restaurant, all this is a result of the hard job, I am aware of the great team that we have at this time at the pergola Restaurant, the shows from activities, food and beverage are important too, for complement this great work.
I really appreciate your loyalty beside of your inconvenience give us a chance to be part of your vacation in your next trip to Mazatlan, please feel free to contact me for let me know and welcome you personally.

General Manager.
River Grove, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Wow, how to start. My trip to Mazatlan was amazing! no words can explain it. Everything was great. I am glad I chose El Cid Castilla beach, the service was excellent. The bartenders were great and all the staff were super friendly. The girls at the "elite" section made our trip even better. They helped us locate great clubs and great restaurants within the city. When i go back I am definitely going back to El Cid Castilla

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Juan C

What splendid review, we feel most than happy for this great eulogy
I am glad to note that our convenient location and friendly staff exceeded your expectations; Thank you for the special mention of our waiter’s staff and the girls of Club Elite, they really are more than happy to know that were recognized for their hard work.
We are at your appreciable orders, will be a pleasure for me and the girls of Club Elite have you with us once again.

Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Check out the poolside candlelit restaurant at Elcid. It's new!!!! La Gruta is the name of the quaint dining experience.
Miguel the captain was so attentive and gave us such special attention as we dined. Made us wonder spanish coffees to top off this wonder evening. Michel is the waiter and wow so helpful in helping us select just the right appitizer which happened to be the tuna. I sooo good. We enjoyed the pasta and again throughout the evening the service was as far as we were concerned the best for the week for evening dining. Raul was also very helpful and also added his own hospitality to our wonderful evening. Got to check it out. Soooo nice.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear: Myrnie W

Is for me a great pleasure to know that you enjoy our new and exclusive restaurant La Gruta.
It is an extra of new that El Cid has to offer, a restaurant more to the list to provide more variety to our customers who want to pamper.
I will share this great comment with Miguel captain, Michel and the rest of the team at The Gruta restaurant, for let them know the results of their great work in a team, I'm sure they will very happy to receive your positive reviews.
I look forward your visit again to El Cid Castilla, will be my pleasure to have it with us ..

Best regards,

Salvatore Sanchez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!