“Great time at El Cid” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #21 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
Twin Cities, MN
“Great time at El Cid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

We just returned from a 7 day trip to Mazatlan and stayed at the El Cid Castilla. After staying in many resorts throughout Mexico, I have to say the service at El Cid ranks up near the top from my experience.

The restaurant servers in the restaurants and buffets were great and always on top of things as were the servers at the pools. Francisco at the pool really stood out as he seemed to always make sure I had a full glass in front of me. Roberto at El Patio was fantastic at getting to know our names during our one dinner there!

PROs: The Service, the food, the pools and LOCATION. I really enjoyed the Sushi bar (not top line sushi but very good considering it was included in the All Inclusive) and the Argentinian restaurant at El Patio. The evening and breakfast buffets were good except the Oriental theme. The hotel was not crowded which always made it easy finding lounge chairs available at the pool and made it easy to make dinner reservations. We often walked the beach and enjoyed a cocktail here and there at some of the places like Diego's. Also walked around in the Golden Zone to do shopping. We always felt safe and everything was so closely located. We also enjoyed having the pools heated. The hotel is older but they are constantly keeping it looking good. You could exchange currency there as well with no minimums and surprisingly the rate was really good. It was very comparable to what I received with my bank at home.

CONs: Would love to see a minibar in the rooms to have a beer or two while getting ready which El Cid does not. Also, yes the bottled water is only about a buck and goes to charity but what is the point. Provide free water in the rooms. We just ordered water before leaving the pools or bars each day and would receive the same bottled water in the room for free and bring them up. They could play better music at the pools, at is seemed a bit too relaxing and was the same music everyday unless someone went to request music. The alcohol is good too as they even have some name brands.

As with some of the recent comments below, I too didn't feel hassled about timeshares in the reception area. In fact, the only time it was really brought up was when I went to the information desk to ask a few questions. On the beach, sure there were people trying to sell products but it is Mexico. The Lobby bar is pretty quiet, even at night. However, it did seem busy when they had live music but it is geared more toward the older Mexican crowd in my opinion. The bath water temps often fluctuated from warm to hot to cool.

We stayed on the 8th floor in the Castilla Tower. Great views, rooms always promptly cleaned and plenty of TV channels (surprisingly even though barely needed). Bed are hard...but aren't all hotel beds hard in Mexico? Also, not sure if it was just something when we were there or not, but the first day of check in the water in our room was brown. I called the front desk and they said they had an issue but to just let the water run and it would clear up..sure did. I loved Mazatlan and would go back in a heartbeat before going to other places such as PV or Riveria Maya. I wouldn't blink twice about whether to stay here again or not...I sure would!

Room Tip: The Tower room was great with a tremendous view of both the ocean from the balcony and the city upon...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Dear c-Rad_TwinCities

Thank you for your kind words. At El Cid Castilla, we work very hard to deliver a great experience to our guests and are happy to read that yours was indeed great. We appreciate you for so many compliments in regards to our facilities and service, as well as you valuable observations, rest assure that they will be considered by our team committee in order to continue offering you memorable vacation.

We sincerely hope to have you with us in a near future to provide you again an enjoyable vacations.

Until soon dear friends!!!

1,370 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Just returned after staying at The El Cid Castilla:

I had stayed there before, about 2.5 years ago, I must say the place has actually improved in many aspects.

the resort still kept meticulously clean as ever, always staff still friendly and willing to help whenever possible. My check in was somewhat delayed but the check in staff was great at giving me my all-inclusive wristband to go partake in the food service and other ammenities while I waited for my room,

The information desk ladies were very informative and not pushing the tours packages as per my previuos visit which was very refreshing. Upon receiving my room assignment I was very pleased to be placed in the 4th floor oceanfront room overlooking the beach, this really exceeded my expectations. I had stayed in the tower section before on the 14th floor, this was so much better!

After an hour had gone by I had a knock on the door with a staff member welcoming me with a small wrapped bundle of candies and a welcome card as well, very nice touch!

The resort was quite busy with a convention of people from SENSA, yet service was always on track and never seemed to be overwhelmed by the volume of guests. the lobby bar has improved in overall ambience with live music being added for the weekend, was also kind of fun to watch curling, hockey and soccer on the many flatscreen tv's.

i ate the majority of meals at the Pergolas buffet, which is still excellent, the only one theme night meal which seemed a bit off was the "Oriental" night, not quite sure about the objective of the food was trying to be represented, aside from that the food was excellent, service the same.

Where I really watched the resort's staff be at their best was when they hosted another convention, even larger than the SENSA one. People everywhere, yet things moved along very well, with no real interruption in service. This place is well organized!

The beach is very good, yes the vendors seem to concentrate at the El Cid, but not really as bothersom as some might say. The activities satff have kept the music down to almost a whisper, not blaring like other resorts I have been to.

My only one suggestion would be for the rooms to be equipped with a small fridge, Kind of handy for many reasons, other than that I am pleased with my decision to have returned to Mazatlan and the El Cid Castilla, hopefully I won't wait another 2 years to do it again

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear lathe-dog

It was our pleasure to have you back after 2 years and are glad to read that you had notice the improvements done in our property through these years. rest assured that we will not stop in making more improvements. El Cid Resorts is characterized for the personalized service that our staff delivers, for us it is a great pleasure to take an excellent care of each one of our guests regardless of occupation we have, and are glad to read that it was not the exception and they did their best to satisfy your needs.

It is nice to read as well that you appreciate cleanliness in the whole property, enjoyed of our conveniente location and beaches as well as of the food service although I see suggestions in regards to the oriental buffet, the Food and Beverage team will analyze them in order to make the necessary changes, as well as your observations made in regards rooms, will be shared with the committee.

Hopefully next time you visit us it is in a period not longer tan 2 years, we will be waiting for you with open arms and with a touch (as this time) that will make the difference in service from the competence.

Until soon!!!

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I must admit we thought longer than usual about going to Mazatlan this year as there had been some safety concerns but I'm glad we decided to see for ourselves. We have been to Mazatlan twice before and this time felt no different - we felt safer than we did when we ended up in the downtown east side (wrong turn from the Costco downtown Vancouver) at noon a few years back.

The El Cid staff did a great job of making you think about nothing but which bathing suit you were going to wear the next day. This hotel has a real family feel to it - the staff all go out of there way to get to know you - saying hello in the hallways and making the kids feel really special. We stayed in the El Moro tower - it is 100% worth the extra spend to stay in these amazing suites - and felt like VIP's after Cecilia and Patty found out that it was my mom's birthday. The rooms were decorated with balloons and pictures made out of pretty colored pebbles. The rooms were really large and beautifully decorated with art and new appliances including a fridge.

We got to know some staff really well as we made a point of saying hi to everyone and of ensuring that we tipped after every meal as the service we received was exceptional. Karen, Netza, Nieves and Saul all helped us to order a birthday cake and they were always available if we needed to find some plain spahetti for the kids or to help us find a great spot for the evening show. The food was good and had lots of variety allowing everyone to find something to eat - even our two kids age 5 and 10. The desserts were great and the kids never complained about being hungry. We even found a waiter who had visited our city, Ricardo, he was very helpful.

The kids club was super - expertly managed by Leticia with help from Abril and Marco - who also was running the activities center by the pool we really liked. Marco made sure everyone was having a good time and we even saw him going out of his way to eat with different families - part of this resorts family feel which we really liked. We enjoyed the MC - Raul at the shows, which featured dancing and fun for all ages. I'm not really sure how Fernando and Teresa can do so much dancing and still look like they love to dance - night in and night out. They were fantastic to watch and we had no trouble getting the kids to dinner on time - for a change.

The transfer from the airport was seamless and comfortable, the check in was quick and the lobby has a fantastic view of the pool. The rooms we had 9124, 9125 were oceanview and the beds were comfortable and super clean. There was a coffee shop on site that had lattes and the stores in the resort had "street pricing" with great quality. Wifi was great and they had three computers where you could access your e-mail - not sure why you would want to but...

The beach was excellent - best natural beach we've seen and we've been to PV and Manzanillo - yes there were folks selling "stuff" but that's what feeds their families so we didn't mind and the tide was so low in the mornings that you could walk into the ocean and look for shells. Pools were great and there were plenty of seats, waiters and shade. There was always something to do around the Castilla pool. Tip: if you take the kids to the Grenada side of the resort by the golf course you can see some turtles, deer and iguana's. The ice cream was great at the resort but if you wanted to walk half a block, most worrisome part is the cracks in the sidewalk, is Bing's/Mary's which is great as well.

We ended up meeting the people who run the resort - Mr. Raul Hernandez and Mr. Jose Velasco and it was incredible how much they cared about the people who worked in their resort and how interested they were in our feedback and how they could make the resort better - they really appreciate their Canadian tourists and want to make it very comfortable for us.

Gym facilities were good, basketball court and tennis courts all looked good and the golf course looked nice (we aren't really golfers). Evenings were coolish so bring hoodies for the kids and sweaters for the adults. Also - a tip we learned - careful with the limes as many people touch limes and with the intense sun can get a rash...who knew? Anyway, confirmed by our dermatologist that it's very common in tropical countries so be careful if your kids touch the limes and then their slightly sunburned faces.

Everything was very clean - staff was always cleaning. We wish someone would come up with an all inclusive bracelet that didn't have edges as that is about the only thing I would change about this trip. Super time - check it out for yourself and don't believe the hype - the week we were gone - three people were killed back home and we live in a nice Canadian city. Super stay - wanted to stay for the year! Thanks El Cid for making great family memories that we will remember forever!

Room Tip: El Moro tower was amazing - all suites and the lobby had internet access with three terminals. Also...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear mateCruzfamily

It is wonderful to know that finally you decide to visit this beautiful port and that have enjoyed every aspect of your stay at El Cid Castilla as well as of the beautiful beaches At El Cid Resorts we work very hard every day to make of your vacations an unforgettable experience, because you and your family are the most important for us. We are very proud to have in our staff people like Paty, Netza, Nieves and all the persons you mention by name, they are always willing to do their best to keep you happy. We thank you a lot for so many compliments to the staff members.

I love to read as well that your kids experienced the Kids Club and had a great time there with the care of Leticia, Marco and Abril, who really love to keep entertaining to kids and take an excellent care of them.

On another note, Mazatlan is surrounded by many natural beauties and it is amazing that you had the opportunity to visit them.

We hope to have you with us very soon and treat you with the same personalized service.

Hasta pronto!!!

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

We were back at Castilla for round two this year. Not much has change in the past year. There happen to be a couple large conventions while we were there so the noise level was a bit louder. Nothing too drastic. Here are my pros and cons

Pros:
1. Dago at the front desk was amazing. Took very good care of our check in and following questions
2. Ramon R (waiter) by the pool is by far the best waiter this hotel has. He is not only professional but is extremely out going.
3. Julieta in the club elite goes above an beyond.
4. The breakfast buffet is done really well and has a great variety.
5. The general cleanliness of the hotel is top notch

Cons:
1. CONSTRUCTION. Our biggest complaint last time was construction. Yet again we were faced with it. The four rooms next to ours were being redone. But the ridiculous part is that they started construction at 6:30am. The pool is open from 9-9 for noise reasons yet they can do construction that echos through the whole area at 6;30 in the morning. They were also doing it all around the pool so while you are trying to relax you hear banging.
2. Outside restaurant Buffett is not very good. Quality of food was a bit old and options were burgers daily.
3. Pool towels. Our last day we spent 30 minutes trying to figure out where our towel card was. You are required to give a card to the pool boy daily so they don't lose towels. Well our card was no where to be found and we were sent on a wild goose chase to find it.
4. Hotel tubs don't drain so you stand in your dirty water the whole time.

• Stayed March 2012
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

My wife, myself and our 4 year old son stayed at El Cid Castilla the middle week in March. We enjoyed ourselves. Highlights were the many restaurants and buffets, the heated swimming pool, walking on the grounds and shopping on the main road.

Special staff were met along the way. Namely, Ricardo, Julian, Ramon, Ruben (the friendly one, joker), and Jonathan. Also Elsie and Karen the servers, Juan the bartender and the supervisors Luis and Raul.

Having a variety of restaurants to choose from in various areas of the resort was truly awesome. The tres leche cake and the seafood spaghetti were real standouts.

Most of the staff went out of their way to make us feel at home and especially were excellent with our son.

Despite a gluten and milk allergy, I found enough variety and quality at each meal.

Overall, we look forward to coming back!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear ekbosch4

Thanks so much for the wonderful review you have written of our beloved hotel. It is a pleasure to learn you and your family enjoyed your stay experience with us. Every single associate at El Cid, from the servers to supervisors, is always trying to provide the best service and best facilities, so we are glad to read that swimming in the heated pools was a nice experience for you, as well as the variety of restaurants we offer you at a la carte and buffet, where our guests can delighted from Mexican food to italian, to mention a few.

In regards to the allergy you mention, when a guest requires an special diet due to health, our Chefs are more than happy in preparing special dishes for you, besides the multiple options of dishes we offer at our restaurants.

On behalf of all the staff we look forward to serve you again soon!!!

est regards,

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I have now been to this resort 3 times in the last 14 months and I want to go back again soon. It is also my husbands 4th time in 2 years. The resort is so welcoming.The Bellman are eagerly waiting to take your luggage to your room, check-in was a very quick. Julieta at the Elite Club always has a smile and is ready to help you any way she can. The property is well maintained. We had a room on the 15th floor and it had a wonderful ocean view , and room was appointed with coffee maker, safe, hair dryer and extra beach towels for those on the elite plan. My favourite restaurant is La Alcazar (Italian) and waiter Edgar is just the best, very attentive service , and his mexican coffee's are top notch, especially when he makes them tableside. There are lots of palapas on the beach but people tend to "save" them so get out there early if you like the beach. There are several heated pools and a very large hot tub. I spend my time at the beach.... and most activities are near the pools..... so I didn't experience much of the daily activities. The golf at the El Cid Golf Course is very good and reasonable but you need a caddy and cart is optional. One comment I would like to make is in reference to the restaurants. It is nice to have a variety of al la carte restaurants .... but the menus at each restaurant never change.... why don't they have a nightly "special" something different from the menu..... We noticed at La Concha (available to elite plan guests) they were having a "shrimp and lobster" night.... great! lets go! but OH NO even though we were elite plan guests.... we were told that we had to pay extra for the "special shrimp and lobster" hmmm. (wasn't too happy about that) All in all we always have a great time at El Cid Castilla!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear meanjean555

How nice for us to hear that your experience at El Cid Moro went so well. A return visit is one of the best compliments we could receive, so we are happy to read that is has been your third visit staying with us. We are extremely proud of our staff and take great pride in the condition of the hotel. We can´t thank you enough for the many compliments of our property and service. Your comments will be share with the staff you mention by name.

I would like to share with you that since a few weeks ago, the Shrimp and lobster festival at La Concha, for dinner on Saturdays is being included for our Elite guests, this is due to the importance of our guest´s comments and our interest to satisfy your needs.

If there is anything else that we can do to make your next visit with us more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Our room in the tower was a nice run of the mill hotel room with a great view from its balcony. The room was appointed with a safe, hair dryer, television with A/V hookups (red/white/yellow type), and coffee maker with a pouch of coffee labeled that it will cost you 150 Pesos if you open it. No fridge or microwave. While the exterior of the building and some styling in the common areas seemed dated, the room itself was a little more updated. The ala carte restaurants had good food and atmospheres that showed a lot of effort especially El Patio over at the El Cid Granada which is located across the street. Getting a table in the ala carte restaurants for dinner was no issue since we were able to make a reservation via phone or through the elite lounge near the lobby bar, even though we were not under the elite plan. The buffet foods were decent, I really liked the outdoor buffet near the beach but the indoor buffet that is open for breakfast and dinner got old real quick. The beach and ocean water were clean with zero seaweed and with an exellent view, and the real gem was the heated pool with the bar! There was never an issue finding a pool or beach chair at El Castilla, but funny enough we walked over to the El Moro side which is almost one in the same with El Castilla since they're connected and all the chairs had towels on them, so reserving chairs for the day early in the morning appeared to be in effect over there.

My only real gripe about El Cid is with the "information desk" because they suckered us into a welcome breakfast as they called it. Carlos at the information desk blatently lied when I asked him if it was a timeshare pitch and he said: No, you will be touring El Cid's other resorts and checking them out to see if you want to try them out next year. We were brought to a secluded conference room at El Marina with it's own tiny breakfast buffet and the sales presentation began. The timeshare representative became very rude once it finally set into his mind that we weren't going to be buying a timeshare and went far enough to ridicule us loudly as we walked away for not leaving a tip for the servers. All this for a free Stone Island tour that they tried to deny us after the harrassing experience.

The timeshare pitch was an unfortunate happening for our first morning at El Cid Castilla, but we left it behind us and had a great time from there. Make sure to take a pulmonia and explore the city a bit in the daylight and see its charm especially in the old-Mazatlan area. The Stone Island tour was fun because we drank a lot on the boat over, but Stone Island itself isn't anything special. I guess I'll leave the review with that, have fun!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Greetings from the Pearl of the Pacific!!!

Dear ebnub

On behalf of everyone at El Cid Castilla, many thanks for selecting our hotel to stay, we are so happy to read that you enjoyed the beautiful view to the ocean from your balcony, of the food service at our restaurants especially at El Patio where our guests enjoyed of a romantic and charming atmosphere, and of course, of the heated pool, although I really regret that issue with the Time share crew, I have shared your review with the Manager of that division in order to take actions and avoid this happens again.

Our facilities are in a continue renovation program, so I am glad to read that you noticed the updated made in rooms. Regarding cost of coffee, for what I read, there was a misunderstanding, the cost is of $15.00 pesos, and the money collected goes to El Cid´s foundation which helps people in poverty.

All of us here will be waiting for your return to pamper you once more.

Receive the best wishes of your friends from Mazatlan!!!

Raul Hernandez

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!