“Great Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel to your Saves list
El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #21 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

This was our first trip to Mazatlan and from the moment we arrived everything ran so smoothly. From the check in to the service everything was first class. The food was great and the service was the best i have ever had on a vacation. The swimming and the ocean were great and we plan to return next year. We both loved it.
Frances and Charlie

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Dear Frances and Charlie

Thank you for your positive comments regarding El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. We are thrilled to read that you had a memorable vacation, we are very proud of our staff; our experienced team will always try doing extra to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable.

It will be a pleasure to serve you again.

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Ford Wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We stayed in El Cid febuary 2011 with some of our friends. We had a very enjoyable time. A bit disappointed with the weather though. We met some very nice people out there that made the stay enjoyable too. Like the staff in the lobby. Some people in the Bar Castilla were awesome too. Especially some of our waiters to like Julio Cesar and Jaime. Both went out of their way please us. Julio was very funny and entertaining and a awesome server. Jaime made our anniversary out there very special. Activity guys were really fun to be with espcially Raul. Rooms were cleaned nice every day except the beds were a bit uncomfortable. Over all one awesome vacation. Would come back for sure!! Hope to see the same staff when we come back next year.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Dear IanNin215

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review regarding your stay at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Your lovely comment touches our hearts. Our guests’ experience is the most important thing to us. Each staff member works diligently to ensure that everything is perfect and that each guest is pampered. We are so pleased that our efforts were successful and your trip was tremendous.

I do hope to personally welcome you back in the near future, please, feel free to contact me if you need assistance to plan your next trip to Mazatlan.

Best regards,

Mark Covarrubias
Burns Lake
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

The service people are terrific,but the hotel is in dire need of repairs and upgrades. Definately not anymore then a 3 star for rooms. Food selection was average, but again all I can say is the service people make it a pleasure to be there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Dear dramamarj

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience with s at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, without constructive feedback from our guests such as yourself, it is not possible for our company to measure the quality of the services provided, and thanks to it we are able to continue with our standards of service and also have an opportunity to reinforce those matters that require it.

By the other side, I am pleased to read that that our staff went beyond expectations to satisfy your needs.

We hope to have a second opportunity of serving you better on your next trip to Mazatlan.

Regina, SK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the El Cid Castilla with our 11 month old infant on an all-inclusive plan. We had a great week in Mazatlan and mostly enjoyed the hotel.

First off, I’d like to say that we usually use TripAdvisor to guide us in choosing a hotel. We usually use the guideline that if users have reviewed a hotel at 4/5 or better it must be a pretty great hotel. So, after looking up the Castilla and seeing the 4/5 rating we happily chose this hotel. Maybe I went in with elevated expectations because of that, but I can safely say that we were disappointed when we first arrived at the hotel. Here’s a quick summary of our pros and cons, though, before you read too much into this first paragraph…our opinion of the hotel did improve as the week went on.

Pros: very friendly staff, heated pool, filtered water, view from balcony, location, no sound travelled between rooms, availability of pool/beach chairs

Cons: food, rooms in need of renovations, timeshare people

Check-in and Rooms
Check-in went smoothly but we were disappointed about the room we received. I had made 3 requests when we booked – ground floor room, king-sized bed and a crib. I realize that requests are only granted based on availability but not one of our requests was granted (luckily we brought a play yard for our baby to sleep in just in case). So, we were already a little disappointed. Then when we saw our room we immediately wondered how this hotel could ever have received such great reviews. We paid for a pool-view room because we did not want to be in the tower. The room was very small, badly in need of a facelift and didn’t feel clean, probably due to the “old” feeling of the room. The room had 2 double beds and there was very little space left over for us to set up our play yard.

The second day we asked about moving rooms. They showed us one of the rooms in the tower which he said were much nicer and had been renovated. They all have balconies facing the ocean so the view was beautiful. But, the room also had 2 double beds and not much extra space and the renovations were minimal…looked almost the same as our original room. I went to ask if there were any other rooms we could see and was told we could have an oceanfront room for a small fee. We checked it out and ended up moving. This room had a king-sized bed and a small sofa which worked out perfectly for creating a separate space for the baby – we moved the sofa and put the play yard in behind so it was easier for her to sleep in the same room as us. We also had an amazing view and direct sun in the afternoon so when the baby was napping, we could sit out on the balcony and work on our tans and enjoy the beauty of the ocean.

The air-conditioning didn’t really work. We never got too hot so it wasn’t too much of a concern but if it had been any warmer (approx. 25 C when we were there), it would’ve been hot. The only thing it did do was create lots of white noise to help with the baby sleeping – very loud fan. The shower was nice and I really liked that the water was filtered. We didn’t really drink it but it was nice to not have to worry about brushing your teeth or getting water in your mouth (or the baby’s) while showering.

Pool
The pool was really, really nice. I’m fairly certain it was heated because it was really nice and warm all the time and the air was quite cool at nights while we were there. The pool and chairs around it were rarely in shade and there were an abundance of chairs so “saving” them early in the morning wasn’t necessary (although people still did it).

We were quite disappointed with the food. There was little variety and often lacked flavor. I’m not really sure what else to say about it. There was 1 buffet for each meal and then 3 a la carte restaurants to choose from. We tried them all and found the Mexican restaurant to the be the best (Coconut Shrimp very good). The Argentine Steakhouse was good – very nice setting. The Italian restaurant was barely ok. The food was blah and the service was lacking.

If it weren’t for the food, I’d give the hotel a much better review but when you pay for all-inclusive, the food included is a very large part of your vacation.

Staff
The staff at the hotel was amazing, especially the staff working the buffet restaurants. They were all very happy to see our baby and loved to play with her and make her smile. The staff was easily one of the best things about this hotel. Even the front desk staff was accomodating, with all our room issues. It was nice to see them try to help instead of just getting annoyed with our fussiness .

Location
Although we didn’t see much of Mazatlan, we did like where we were. The water was quite calm in front of the hotel, although the beach was quite narrow. There were a few nice looking restaurants in the area if you wanted to eat off-resort and a coffee shop just up the street. There were also a few convenience stores very near by which is where we purchased diapers and baby food. We could’ve gotten them cheaper by going to a large discount store but we liked the convenience of the small stores.

Timeshare
The timeshare staff weren’t too bad at the Castilla – after the first day of asking us to see a presentation, they never really bothered us again, although we did get a few invitations slipped under our room door. The timeshare staff at the Moro hotel were another story, though. Since the two hotels are basically connected, we wandered over to the Moro a few times and each time we were hounded by the timeshare people and it was very difficult to get away from them at times.

Overall
Overall we ended up liking the hotel. It took a few days, though, for the pros of the hotel to outweigh our initial disappointment. The food was definitely an issue but that just meant we didn’t put on 10 lbs while on vacation

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear suziecue

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments, without constructive feedback from our guests such as yourself, it is not possible for our company measure the quality of the services provided, and thanks to it we are able to continue with our standards of service and also have an opportunity to reinforce those matters that require it.

We take pride in the level of service and attention to detail that we are able to provide our guests, and when their expectations are not met, we have failed in our primary endeavor to ensure both, you and future guests receive the service expected for us.

Thank you also for noticing positives about the staff, location and pool.

Once again, my sincere apologies and we look forward to welcoming you back and extend to you the standards of excellence you have come to expect from El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel.

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

This was my very first holiday south and what a great one! I was very impressed with everything at the ElCid-minus the few issues with the room (there were little ant like insects that were crawling out from a cracked and crumbling vanity-bathrooms were a little gungy too!) but all-in-all a great place to vacation! the check-in was as best as can be expected as there were a number of check-ins from the airport shuttle) i really loved the layout of the hotel and the number of resturant choices. it was all so beautiful! the pools were awesome and the swim-up bars were definately a selling point in my choice of vacation spots for this year. When i went to a travel agent she had mentioned that Mazatlan was her 1st trip, unfortunately she did not stay at the ElCid, but wished she had!
The front desk staff were great! Jandy was very accomidating and extremely helpful. you sure can tell she is dedicated to making sure your holiday is as best as it can be!
I've chosen to return to the ElCid this year (i'm actually arriving on my birthday and am hoping to get married while i'm there (finally getting my non-travelling boyfriend to come along!) I'm really hoping that this trip will be even better than last years!)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear angiefe

First of all, I would like to thank you for staying with us during your visit to Mazatlan, and for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay.

We take pride in the levels of service that we provide and I am happy to know that your stay was a reflection of that. Keeping happy customers, ensuring that they come back in the future is the aspiration of El Cid. It will be an honor to us to be part of such an important event in your life, your wedding, be assured that we will be committed in making you have a perfect wedding.

Please, feel free to contact me for any assistance you may need for planning your next visit to Mazatlan.

Receive my best regards

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

Our stay was excellant. From the clean comfortable room thanks to Bety in house keeping. Great prompt inexpensive room service. Friendly helpful bellmen...Victor and Juan. My friends Victor and Ceasar in the Alhambra restaurant, and the show room treated us like kings. The front desk staff Miotses, Paulina, Dago, Alberto, and Laura were cheerfull, friendly, helpful, and courtious. I recommend this resort. This was our third stay and if you make a very little effort to know the staf they will make you feel comfortable and welcome as I have not felt in any other hotel/resort in Canada or the U.S..

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011 via mobile

We stayed from feb 19 to 26th. My 3 daughters and myself, girls week. Everyone treated us with overwhelming service and hospitality. I know I can't mention all the employees but I sure would love too. Extra thank yous to Jamie Ramirez, Francisco, Adrian, Felix, Raul, Daniel, all the Luis's there, Margarita, Eva, Julio, Ivan (my future son in law) Enrique. I know I'm missing people. All I can say "If someone leaves your resort not happy, they are NUTS!!!" Mark Covarrubias (General Manager) you put a smile on my face when no one was even around to see it with your lovely fruit basket. Diana, Chantel, Alyssa and Nicole :)

• Stayed February 2011
Dear Dianaleger

On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel, we thank you kindly for taking the time to share such complimentary remarks.

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience during your stay with us and that you have found our staff hospitable. Your recognition by name is much appreciated; comments like yours encourage us to continue working hard to exceed expectations.

Thank you for allow me to contribute in making you have a memorable vacation. I will be honored if you contact me for any assistance you may need in a future.

Your friend,

Mark Covarrubias Mckay

Been to El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!