“Not So Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Palace Hotel / Suites

You added Luna Palace Hotel / Suites to your Saves list
Luna Palace Hotel / Suites
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82100, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Vancouver, Canada
“Not So Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2006

Our stay at the Luna Palace was not as bad as some of these reviews would have you believe. Our room was huge and we had a beautiful view of the property and the ocean. We were there at the end of their summer and it was HOT and HUMID - the airconditioning was working overtime to try to keep the room cool. The rumour mill was saying that the Luna Palace has hired a new management team from the US and some changes have been occuring. Absolutely all of the food that we ate there was delicious. The buffet was not in operation all of the time(we were there in the off season) but because we were there on an all-inclusive the kitchen was happy to make us anything that was on the menu. French Toast, mexican eggs, omlets, clubhouse sandwiches, chicken enchiladas, nachos, a fish dinner - they even had some shrimp bisque left over from a private function that we got to try one night and it was absolutely delicious. During our 2nd week the buffet was up and running - all of the food we ate from it we really enjoyed. The buffet food had mostly Mexican choices but that was fine with us we both love their food. Our room was good. Not great but good - the beds were not as soft as my bed at home but no where near as bad as some of the beds I have slept on in other hotels. (especially european ones) There was some mildew on the wall in the living room but with the humidity outside and the air-conditioning on all the time - that is something that is pretty impossible to permanently eliminate. I loved the bath -tub. A deep large marble tub that you could fill with nice warm water and relax in. The kitchen in our room had a coffee maker, a microwave, a fridge, a 2 burner cook top and dishes etc. Great for times when you just want something in your own room. Someone mentioned gecko's in their room - it is a fact of life in hot climates and they are harmless. (The rooms with numbers that end with 01 and 02 are at the end of the corridor and have patios that overlook the beach directly) Yes the hotel is towards the north end of the hotel zone - I infact liked that aspect. You did not have to deal with all the party people - all night long. It was a nice walk down to the golden zone and a $4.00 cab ride if you didn't want to walk. The local bus also goes right past the hotel and I believe the fare was 7.5 pesos so we didn't find the location a detriment at all. We enjoyed the staff, all except the night clerk who was standoffish. Everyone else there could not do enough to make our stay more enjoyable. The bartenders, the waiters and housekeeping staff were great!! Yes, there are timeshare people on the premises but 90% of the hotels in Mazatlan have them - I found the ones on the sidewalk more annoying than the ones with their clients at the hotel. Would I stay there again, yes in a heartbeat. For the price, the amenities (this hotel has one of the best hotel pools in all of Mazatlan) and the enthusiasm of the staff I don't think you can beat it.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2006

We went down over the Mexican Easter holiday. We found that we were one of the few Americans in town that week. I have been to Mexico several times, but never felt like we didn't belong until this trip. The service was not the best and the even with tipping, the staff didn't seem to want to go out of their way.

The food in the hotel resturant was below average. We even saw waiters dropping food and silverware just to reuse it. The beds are just a mattress on a cement foundation, so you can imagine how bad that is.

Mexico is a great place, but I would avoid this hotel if possible.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Morenci, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

We were also booked at Oceano, and didn't learn they were closed until after we arrived. We booked through cheaptickets, and I was pretty mad about the conditions when we saw Oceano. They had transferred our reservations to Luna Palace, which was MUCH nicer anyway. The hotel and our room were very clean, parking/security was great, and the staff was bilingual and very helpful and friendly. I loved the fact that you could order drinks and food from the seats inside the pool! We walked a good distance on the beach by the other, more popular hotels, and the beach at Luna was by far the best-because the raked it every night, and because it's right next to the break/pier-there was more "beach" area, and it's shallow for a ways out. The hotel puts on activities free of charge throughout the day, like volleyball or water aerobics, and 5 nights a week there is a show by the pool with some form of entertainment like mexican dancers or karaoke. The buffet wasn't great, but there is a restaurant right across the street called "the purple onion" that was inexpensive and had some of the best food I've ever eaten! (Try the ribs!) Also, do take the Stone Island Tour if you can. It was so much fun, and the guide was hilarious. You get pickup at your hotel, the trip on the boat, lunch, open bar, and 2 activities on the island (like horse riding, snorkeling, banana boat, etc) for $35 US per person. The only complaint I could imagine anyone having would be the location....it's at the very end of the golden zone, so to get to all the "touristy" shops and restaurants, you either have a LONG walk or a cab ride-but you can get a pulmonia (open air taxi) to just about anywhere for about $4-$5 (ask how much BEFORE you get in!). Even still, we didn't have that problem-there is a little no-name shop right next door with EVERYTHING for souvenirs, or just go on the beach for 10 minutes and wait for one of the hundreds of vendors, and even people renting jet skis or parasail rides, who come to you.
For those planning a 1st trip to Mexico-Use your ATM/credit card for pesos AFTER you cross the border, or for purchases where cards are accepted. Your bank at home will give you a much better exchange rate per dollar. NEVER pay asking price with a beach vendor, or even in the small shops. Negotiation is expected, and the first price is always higher if you look like a tourist. I got an ironwood carving that the guy originally asked $60 for and paid $20-support the local economy, of course, but be aware of the fact that you will be taken advantage of if you are a shy bargainer.

• Stayed June 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

We were booked at Oceano Palace and when we arrived that hotel, under the same owner as the Luna Palace, was closed and unreported to any travel agency. The customer service at Luna Palace was the worst that I had ever recieved. Before I even left to go on the trip I used a twenty minute phone card trying to confirm my reservations because they kept hanging up on me. Make sure to wear the wrist bands they give you or you might be accused as being a Prostitute. Lock up all valuables, and don't belive anything they tell you, its all a scam. They impersonated a cheaptickets representative, had us wait in the lobby for ten hours to wait for a manager who kenw we had been there waiting since the first hour. We were awoken to the police who were called on us for public disturbance when we were sleeping quietly, and without any warning from the front desk. They did not know I understood and spoke spanish and heard them talking about me and laughing at me in the front lobby. Overall this place was full of cheaters and liars out to get your money. BEWARE. Cheaptickets is currently removing them from their site due to all of the complaints.

• Stayed June 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2006

We actually booked Oceano Palace, but since they are having construction over there we were moved to Luna Palace. When we got in our room, i was amazed of the size of our bedroom. It's big with kitchen and a safe box. To use the kitchen appliances and utensils and the safe box, you have to deposit a small amount of money to get the key. You'll get the deposit back when you return the key. The room is very well cleaned. Our room was on the top floor so we got an awesome view of the pool and the ocean.
The pool is chilly when you first jump in, but you'll warm up soon enough and just enjoy the water. People who expected the pool to be warm are funny. It's a pool, not a hot tub. Besides, it's like 90 degree in mexico, we want to get into the pool to cool off, not cook ourselves. The kids are everywhere though especially on the weekends. There are some waiters around the pool, but they don't come around to ask you if you need anything. But overall, they are very friendly and helpful.
The beach is pretty nice, but very few lounging-chairs so if you come out later noon, there won't be any left. However, the pool people will provide you with towels and surfing boards. So get the towel and lay them out on the sand and enjoy the sun.
The buffet at the hotel is not so edible. The food seems to be there forever, it's hard and chewy and so dry. Glad we didn't get all inclusive! So we went off to some local restaurants to eat. It was fun walking around and finding restaurants to eat. Most of the restaurants we went to serve absolutely delicious food. We like Gus Gus food and they have musical show at night. Gringo Lingo is a all of you can eat restaurant for $15 a person, and all of their foods are yummy (try the garlic shrimp). There is another restaurant close to the Luna hotel along the beach serve awesome seafood platters.
For activities, I have to say it's pretty low key. I like the music at the pool, american and mexican, which keeps things lively during the day. We really enjoyed the Stone Island tour and doing horseback riding, and banana boat which gave me a blistering finger cause I had to hold on to the rope so tight otherwise I would get throw off into the water. I wanted to go snorkeling but there are jellyfish in the water. Some people got badly stung by it. But it was beautiful there though. And then, there are not much thing else to do in mazatlan. We just swim in the ocean and get tan, walked around the city.
Overall, my experience here was relaxing and eye opening, something different from vacation spots in the states. But I wouldn't stay here for a week if you want party and night out.

• Stayed May 2006
Red Deer, AB Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2006

We had an excellent room at the Luna Palace, a suite, actually, with two double beds, two singles and two bathrooms. The food at the Luna Palace was poor to fair and if you didn't get there at the time the meal started...often there was not much left to choose from. Not much variety even if you were there on time. Watersports, pool activities, pool bar, tennis, scuba lesson, snorkeling, kayaking, water polo, soccer, non motorized sports were non-existent. Nightly entertainment was sporadic. We were there two weeks...had we been on our first all inclusive vacation we would have been very disappointed. The staff was great and did the best they could with what they had to work with! Thank you to them for making our holiday a better one! Enjoyed it but had expected more...don't believe travel brochures!!! This could be classified as "almost all inclusive" in comparison to other "all inclusives" we have been in!

Stayed April 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2006

We were in luna palace for one week and we really enjoy it. The staff did their best and even more to help us, we had some problems with our bathroom it was almost midnight and we had it fixed at that time. I dont agree with the bad coments of this hotel. Great people and exelent security I care about this issue because I travel with my family and small kids. If you are planning to travel to mazatlan and want a place to rest and really fell confortable you must stay at this hotel. Dont forget that tips do help, but that´s not only in this place.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Luna Palace Hotel / Suites? Share your experiences!