“Look around, you can do better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Luna Palace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Luna Palace Hotel to your Saves list
Luna Palace Hotel
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82100, Mexico   |
Ranked #18 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Truth or Consequences, NM
“Look around, you can do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Luna Palace is an older property that has not aged as well as some others. I had a one bedroom suite that obviously had not been opened in quite some time prior to my arrival as it had that musty/mildewy smell to it. Water pressure was barely adequate in the bathrooms and hot water was in short supply. There is no on-site fitness facility, despite the hotel's claims in their advertising - you have to go to their sister hotel to use a fitness facility.

My suite had a kitchenette of sorts that the hotel required me to deposit $200MXN before they'd unlock, presumably so I wouldn't steal their 25 year old scratched up cookware or a couple of bent forks. Hotel required another $100MXN deposit to give me two TV remote controls. I found this to be a bit insulting from a customer perspective but YMMV.

WiFi was free and generally very good, television reception was some of the worst I've ever encountered and judging by their design the TVs were probably purchased in the 1980s. (The fact that the hotel values the remote controls at roughly $4.00 each should be illustrative.)

Lots of rain during the week I was there and that brought out ants in the room. (To be fair, I'm relatively certain this was not limited to this hotel only but it's something to realize going in, IMO.) Pool area is small but adequate and adjacent to the beach. Front desk will print your airline boarding pass for you. I didn't eat in the restaurant as there are many dining options within a short walk/bus ride away.

I'll give a shout out to Brianda at the front desk....very helpful, very friendly, great communication skills, good sense of humor. Seek her out if you need information, help, or just a pleasant greeting.

Overall, if you're on a tight budget but would still like a good location within the tourist zone then Luna Palace is one option. If you are looking for value AND comfort, I'd consider other options.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tacoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was our first trip to Mazatlan and we were very pleased with the Luna Palace. It is in a great location, right on the beach, within walking distance of many restaurants, convenience stores, and an ATM. Our rooms had 2 queen size beds in the bedroom and 2 twins in the living room. There was a nice kitchen so we bought drinks, coffee, and some food, especially for breakfast and snacks. We had to pay a deposit to unlock the kitchen cabinets but we were fine with that. The room was kept very clean. There were 2 complete bathrooms. In the master bath, there was a window that was easily observable from the balcony of another room above, which made me a little uncomfortable. I would recommend the management put some kind of covering over it. We were approached several times about hearing about their timeshare opportunities but it was not a hard-sell, which we appreciated. There is an outdoor restaurant across the street that makes fresh fruit smoothies, which we got for breakfast some days. We had a corner room so had a deck that overlooked the ocean and wrapped around to overlook the pool area. It was perfect! The deck is narrow but big enough for a few chairs. I would also suggest that the deck furniture be updated, it was very uncomfortable, but again, no big deal. We just pulled out a couple of chairs from inside.
We were pleasantly surprised and would stay there again. We had no trouble with noise as some reviews have said.

Room Tip: We had room 601 (I'm pretty sure). It had a great view of the ocean and a large deck.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, EU
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Extremely nice accommodations, which far surpassed my expectations. This will be my preferred place to stay in Mazatlan from now on. Being on a strict budget, this hotel was affordable for me and very "deluxe" at the same time. ...plus free WiFi in the rooms plus computer in the lobby was great. Plus the staff were very nice and always looking for ways to be helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I googled tons of places prior to my vacation. I settled on Luna Palace and I am so glad I did! My stay was more than affordable. I was thinking it would be bug infested or run down because of how much I was saving not going with other, more fancier hotels. But, I was wrong! There were a few ants when I left some food out, but as long as I cleaned up after myself, there was no issue. The staff was friendly and nice. My room had a small kitchen which was great because it really cut down on eating out everyday. There was a fresh fruit and veggie market a few blocks up. The hotel is right on the beach. My room faced the ocean, which was perfect! I got to wake up and fall asleep to the sound of waves and watch the sunset every night. The pool is big and clean. I'll definitely be back!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the ocean!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, USA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The staff was on top of everything, the rooms are very clean. The front desk were glad to help you with directions anywhere you want to visit in Maza. The service was extremely personal and friendly. Book online for the best deal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, USA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We just got a pleasant holiday in Mazatlan. we had made a reservation at another hotel initially, unfortunately on arrival was not what we expected, so we arrived at Luna Palace and had everything... suite was large, the beds extremely comfortable, very clean, had a small balcony with beautiful ocean view. We enjoyed the trip to Stone Island, also the Plazuela Machado in old Mazatlan. Overall the hotel is small but very private and excellent service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Duncan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Upon arrival I got switched here from my reservation at Oceano Palace and expected the worst. I was SOOO wrong. Great room, great view, wonderful pool, wonderful service. And since I am afraid of heights they honoured my original request for a low floor. The WiFi antenna is at the pool so I got WiFi in my room and everywhere else.
The front desk woman was a multitasking wonder. Give her a raise. Ivan thank you. Jorge, my grandson still remembers you in his nightly "happy thoughts" and you made my stay a joy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Luna Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!