“Loved it! Small, clean, safe, great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Azteca Inn

Save Saved
You added Azteca Inn to your Saves list
Azteca Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Gaviotas 307 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #28 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Regina, Canada
“Loved it! Small, clean, safe, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

We were in Mazatlan for a wedding, we decided to extend our vacation to 4 weeks instead of just staying one week for the wedding.. week one was all inclusive at El Cid Castilla, NOT worth it. Week two was at Pueblo Bonita Emerald bay. The next 2 weeks I had booked at the Casillia , but one week was enough. My daughter and her hubby stayed at the Aztca for one week while we were at Pueblo, we were impressed with what we saw and decided to cancel our last 2 weeks at Castilla and book with Aztca. Good choice, The staff are incredible, the rooms are basic but impeccably clean. We felt very safe there as well. As a previous post stated, the small bar on the premises is great, cheap drinks and the bartender is very nice. We saved about $800.00 for the switch. Our cleaning lady was the sweetest, she noticed we had a couple of warm beer on the dresser, when we returned back to our room (after a great day at the beach), she had brought in her own little Styrofoam cooler, filled it with ice and put our beers in it!! We knew it was hers because it was well worn and had her name on it. LOL
Yup, the beds are hard, oh well, not bad for its only drawback.
One more bonus, if you stay on a Saturday night, you get a birds-eye view of the fireworks at the Playa. BTW, you are more than welcome to use the beach chairs on the beach, and the Playa staff will come and get you food and drinks if you like. Just remember to bring your own beach towels.
Spring break was happening for our first week there, so it did get a little noisy at times. But it was mostly happy noises, like giggling and laughing so that made it very bearable. We are planning to go back to Mazatlan next year and will stay there again.
The staff at the front desk let me print off our boarding passes too. That was very nice of them, at no charge. The internet was a little spotty at times, but if you take a laptop, you can go to Gringo Lingo's ( just steps away) and use theirs. Say Hi to Jose and all the staff at Gringo's. Great food too.
This place is just minutes away from everything, great restaurants, shopping, bars, it has it all. Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My friend and I stayed at this hotel for three wks. Having our own rooms on second floor of this cute motel was a good experience. Cleaning staff did a fine job and very helpful staff at the front desk. This motel has three floors, swimming pool and hot tub, bar and restaurant. Location was in the Golden Zone - lots of good restaurants, shopping and entertainment - Casino about two blocks from the motel!!

The beds are not the most comfortable and if you enjoy watching TV, most channels were in Spanish. However we would certainly recommend this hotel and would gladly stay there another time!!

Donna and Anne Marie from Winnipeg

• Stayed March 2010
Victoria, B.C>
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

I stayed in Mazatlan during the outbreak of the H1N1 during which time my flight was cancelled with Westjet. I have stayed at many, many hotels in Mazatlan and the staff at this hotel were the best. My wireless internet wasn't working properly and they called an internet provider to come look at. It is right downtown in the Golden Zone and I was concerned about the noise but had a room at the back of the hotel and when the door was closed I was surprised to hear how quiet it was. It is a great location if you are looking for Golden Zone hotels. The pool is small but heated and they have a jacuzzi available at any time of night actually. The food at the restaurant isn't the cheapest but very, very good and consistant. It was very quiet during my trip. Not alot of people staying at the hotel which I really enjoyed as well. The bar they have there has one of the best bartenders in all of Mazatlan and very inexpensive drinks.....would stay again in a heartbeat and probably will.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Worry Free vacations had a cheap package deal from Minneapolis for 1084 airfare/hotel total taxes included (554 per person) over Canadian spring break at the Azteca Inn. After checking previous reviews, I felt that I couldn't pass up that deal and was pretty sure the hotel would fit my needs.

And it did! The rooms are very basic, but super clean. We were on the ground floor right beside the pool and the pool and hot tub were very clean as well. Very often we had the pool area all to ourselves. And we brought eye masks to sleep in and ear plugs so noise was never a problem. It did get a little loud with some kids sometimes but if that happened we just went to the beach at the Playa Mazatlan across the street. Did I mention that the location is great? Most things you need are within a short walk and the "convenience" store next door was pretty reasonable for a little store in the Golden Zone

The little bar in the courtyard run by Arturo is a nice quaint little place to watch a game and have a cheap drink. Ahhh I miss it already.

I'd definately stay there again if the price was right.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

the azteca was perfect for us, small, very, very clean and we got a really good rate direct whit the hotel, is across the street from the beach and next to lots of restaurants and stores of every kind, the mexican food in the restaurant is super, and the people very nice, we will be back next time

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

Checked in to find AC was not operating. It was under repair. Asked if there was another hotel they could recomend for us and our dog. I was told there where no other hotels available.
Hotel offered a refund but we had no place to go.
Noise levels are 85 decibels all the time. At night someone tried to brake into our truck. The alarm sounded ad I ran to find two maintenance peple running away from the parking lot. The night guard said that a couple of kids had just leaned on the truck. After several attempts to get security to set the alarm of the guard just shruged his shoulders and said he was going back to bed. Next morning at the front desk I asked and was told I should have found a nother place to stay. Alarms go of ocasionally.
Hot, dirty and loud. Cheap yes. In more ways than one. Dont stay at The Aztec unless you are on your last leg. A real pit hole.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
calgry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

This hotel is a gem of the Golden Zone in Matazlan. I have stayed At the Azteca on and off for the last 15 years. Jan and Feb of 2007 for 6 weeks and Jan-Mar of 2008 for 9 weeks. Hotel is close to restaruants, shopping and the beach.
Rooms are small but clean and resonably priced. What more could you ask for?
All staff are very friendly. The girls at the front office are friendly and were able to provide me with information as i requied it. Hotel is well maintained, has everday maid service and hotel area and pool are very clean. Seems someone is always cleaning up.
Food in restaurant is good and reasonably priced. The small bar has a friendky bartender( Arturo) and is a great meeting place for drinkers and non drinkers.
Last of all has many repeat guests (many meet over the years). Great to visit with old friends.This is why i call the Azteca my second home.
Would recommend Azteca to family and friends.
Herb from Calgary

Stayed January 2008

Been to Azteca Inn? Share your experiences!