“Perfect Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azteca Inn

Save Saved
You added Azteca Inn to your Saves list
Azteca Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Gaviotas 307 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #27 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Canada
“Perfect Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Although this Inn may look like a drive-through, it's not! The concept is more of a motel that is enclosed. The staff are fabulous and more than accommodating. There is a small restaurant on site where locals gather for their breakfasts and daily meals. That means, yes, please partake as it is good and the prices are comparable.
I would definitely go there again, the price is right and the location is perfect!

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground level for easy access.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I found this place more than 13 years ago on our first drive into Mexico. From then on we've stopped here twice a year for a night as we drive back and forth between our home in Mexico and our home in the U.S. It is a little ways off the main north/south toll road but well worth the side trip to stay in a clean and inexpensive hotel right across the street from the beach. One of the best things is the fact that it has secure parking inside the courtyard with a security guard at the entrance at night.

There can be revelers playing in the pool, walking around the complex talking, singing and carrying on into the wee hours of the morning as they come back from the bars during Spring Break and Mexican holidays. This can be annoying as it echos because of the enclosed courtyard. The mattresses are a little hard but for one night passing through they were fine.

We always include a dinner at Pancho's Restaurant, about two blocks north, which sits right on the beachfront and has a great view of the ocean. We celebrate our first view of the ocean and that we will arrive to our Mexico home the next day.

Alas, we've sold our Mexico home so we will no longer have the opportunity to stay in this little hidden gem of an oasis.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've travelled to Mazatlan for the past 3 years. The past 2 times I have stayed at the Azteca Inn (combined as a flight/hotel package with WestJet) and would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to others.

While it is your basic no-frills hotel (no fitness center or spa - hence the 3 star, but I wasn't looking for that sort of thing), it offered up everything I needed.

From initial check in (where I was informed my room was located on the ground floor near the pool - which would mean some noise during the day, but I could switch if I was bothered.. which I wasn't) to check out, I was made to feel very welcome, safe and comfortable; which was important for a young female travelling on her own!

Pros:
1) The beds - I have heard MANY negative things about the beds in Mexico due to the lack of boxsprings - Azteca has the softest beds I have come across. Very comfortable.
2) Cleanliness - the rooms were ALWAYS spotless. I have found this both stays - it was kept cleaner than a 4 star hotel I stayed at my first year.
3) Location - while this hotel is not located beach front, it is a quick walk across the street to access the beach. It is located close enough that I walked daily to the Mega mart for fresh fruit and muffins for breakfast. It's moments away from the Malecon & bus stops to get downtown. It's in the heart of the GZ. IT's ideal.
4) Air conditioning - perfect! I have stayed at other places where the A/C did virtually nothing - but this was not the case here.
5) The staff. As I said, they went out of their way to ensure I was happy. For example, the maid for my room, Martha, not only did a phenominal job cleaning, she went above and beyond her job by providing me a foam cooler in my room when she saw I was using ice to cool drinks.
6) The pool - also kept VERY clean. Perfect for a cool down after a day of wandering around exploring. The poolside area is also kept very clean and is comfortable.
7) Free wifi! I was able to keep in touch with family back home via FaceTime/the internet

Cons:
1) The hot tub - While it was always clean, it was certainly not hot :-)
2) The wifi is not reliable. It didn't work well in the room and often dropped.

That is it. I really cannot say enough good things about the place!

While the Azteca is not a fancy 5 star location, it is no-frills but is comfortable, clean and safe. Perfect for the budget traveller. If you are looking for a place to stay that allows you to get out to explore the local life - this is the place for you.

If you are looking for an all inclusive fancy resort or party hotel- this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Comfortable place close to the Malecon and amenities. Martin Carrillo at Reception was friendly and helpful. Reasonably priced in comparison to other hotels in the area and also much quieter. I would go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at the Azteca at least twice a year for the past several years. We travel throughout Mexico and this hotel is always our home in Mazatlan. The staff is terrific and all have been there for many years. A typical Mexican hotel but always clean and secure. On site parking is a huge plus with 24 hour security. The value is among our top 5 choices in Mexico. There is a terrific restaurant just up the street on the beach side called Panchos. The food is excellent and the service is better yet. The hotel can be a bit noisy during spring break and mexican holidays but that is to be expected. The pool is terrific and the poolside bar is great for a cold cerveza! We will definately recommend and return! Thanks for the great visit!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

On the other side of the road from all the expensive beach hotels and very nice. Mid-century feel without being too outdated. Loved their little bar. Felt like I could have been Marilyn Monroe sweeping in and having a drink. And inexpensive. Greatly e. great price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I went here for a weekend trip a few years ago. Unfortunately, the most significant memory I will take away is the uncomfortable, hard mattresses - it took my neck and back many months to recover.

The service was great and the people were friendly, there were many good restaurant options around, as well as ATMs and transit options, and it was close to the beach (though not quite as close as I had believed from the advertising), but the beds were so bad that we considered changing hotels mid-trip. We asked the staff about switching rooms, hoping that maybe our room was an anomaly, but they said that all the beds were identical. The rooms were relatively clean, though not immaculate.

Unless they've gotten new mattresses recently, I wouldn't recommend this place. There are many other good options around Mazatlán (and just walking around, we saw a ton that were much, much cheaper but hadn't been advertised on the internet). I'm still giving them 3 stars due to the good location and friendly employees.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Azteca Inn? Share your experiences!