“Azteca Inn is a hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Azteca Inn

You added Azteca Inn to your Saves list
Azteca Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Gaviotas 307 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #28 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Winnipeg, Canada
“Azteca Inn is a hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've travelled to Mazatlan for the past 3 years. The past 2 times I have stayed at the Azteca Inn (combined as a flight/hotel package with WestJet) and would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to others.

While it is your basic no-frills hotel (no fitness center or spa - hence the 3 star, but I wasn't looking for that sort of thing), it offered up everything I needed.

From initial check in (where I was informed my room was located on the ground floor near the pool - which would mean some noise during the day, but I could switch if I was bothered.. which I wasn't) to check out, I was made to feel very welcome, safe and comfortable; which was important for a young female travelling on her own!

Pros:
1) The beds - I have heard MANY negative things about the beds in Mexico due to the lack of boxsprings - Azteca has the softest beds I have come across. Very comfortable.
2) Cleanliness - the rooms were ALWAYS spotless. I have found this both stays - it was kept cleaner than a 4 star hotel I stayed at my first year.
3) Location - while this hotel is not located beach front, it is a quick walk across the street to access the beach. It is located close enough that I walked daily to the Mega mart for fresh fruit and muffins for breakfast. It's moments away from the Malecon & bus stops to get downtown. It's in the heart of the GZ. IT's ideal.
4) Air conditioning - perfect! I have stayed at other places where the A/C did virtually nothing - but this was not the case here.
5) The staff. As I said, they went out of their way to ensure I was happy. For example, the maid for my room, Martha, not only did a phenominal job cleaning, she went above and beyond her job by providing me a foam cooler in my room when she saw I was using ice to cool drinks.
6) The pool - also kept VERY clean. Perfect for a cool down after a day of wandering around exploring. The poolside area is also kept very clean and is comfortable.
7) Free wifi! I was able to keep in touch with family back home via FaceTime/the internet

Cons:
1) The hot tub - While it was always clean, it was certainly not hot :-)
2) The wifi is not reliable. It didn't work well in the room and often dropped.

That is it. I really cannot say enough good things about the place!

While the Azteca is not a fancy 5 star location, it is no-frills but is comfortable, clean and safe. Perfect for the budget traveller. If you are looking for a place to stay that allows you to get out to explore the local life - this is the place for you.

If you are looking for an all inclusive fancy resort or party hotel- this isn't the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Comfortable place close to the Malecon and amenities. Martin Carrillo at Reception was friendly and helpful. Reasonably priced in comparison to other hotels in the area and also much quieter. I would go back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at the Azteca at least twice a year for the past several years. We travel throughout Mexico and this hotel is always our home in Mazatlan. The staff is terrific and all have been there for many years. A typical Mexican hotel but always clean and secure. On site parking is a huge plus with 24 hour security. The value is among our top 5 choices in Mexico. There is a terrific restaurant just up the street on the beach side called Panchos. The food is excellent and the service is better yet. The hotel can be a bit noisy during spring break and mexican holidays but that is to be expected. The pool is terrific and the poolside bar is great for a cold cerveza! We will definately recommend and return! Thanks for the great visit!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

On the other side of the road from all the expensive beach hotels and very nice. Mid-century feel without being too outdated. Loved their little bar. Felt like I could have been Marilyn Monroe sweeping in and having a drink. And inexpensive. Greatly e. great price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I went here for a weekend trip a few years ago. Unfortunately, the most significant memory I will take away is the uncomfortable, hard mattresses - it took my neck and back many months to recover.

The service was great and the people were friendly, there were many good restaurant options around, as well as ATMs and transit options, and it was close to the beach (though not quite as close as I had believed from the advertising), but the beds were so bad that we considered changing hotels mid-trip. We asked the staff about switching rooms, hoping that maybe our room was an anomaly, but they said that all the beds were identical. The rooms were relatively clean, though not immaculate.

Unless they've gotten new mattresses recently, I wouldn't recommend this place. There are many other good options around Mazatlán (and just walking around, we saw a ton that were much, much cheaper but hadn't been advertised on the internet). I'm still giving them 3 stars due to the good location and friendly employees.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Azteca Inn is a low budget option but in a great location. The beach is across the street through a different hotel (if you do not use their lounge furniture they do not mind you to just pass through) The ocean had wave action most of the time, but only once it was scary to go deeper than waist high. The beds were hard as all the previous reviews mention, but we did not mind that too much. The rooms had enough space and furniture for a longer stay, but we wished they had a mini refrigerator (there is space for it). The shower is good size and the showerhead was a good one; however, if two people tried to use the bathroom at once, it was very tight. Maid was good about cleaning all the sand out and they change sheets every night (unless the regular maid had a day off). Decent towels and shampoo, but no tea/coffeemaker. AC unit worked great and we only used low setting; windows can open too, and there is a ceiling fan. The TV is an oldie, so the picture quality is bad (I’m used to flat screen HD quality), but we only turned it on once to check the weather. There is a “business center” with internet access, but I had problems almost every time I tried to use internet. For some reason, I thought that they had a laundry machine for guests, but no (we found a Laundromat about 3 bus stops away). By the way, the bus system is great! All the bus stops are at the parallel main street “Camaron”; about 3 stops to the supermarket MEGA and a nice ocean view ride to the old town city center (less than 20 min). The only complaint we had is with other guests: for some reason some locals think that it is ok to run around, yell or sing at 3 in the morning. But according to my research noise complains happen at all the hotels; we figured it was a cultural thing. We did complain to the reception a few times, so it least they can close the pool and hopefully that makes folks ether go to their room or go party somewhere else. No elevator, only stairs; filtered water jar for guests at each floor
Restaurants: the one at hotel was ok (the one time we ate there). Our best option was a chain Panama: very low prices, variety of dishes, always a place available, and fresh ingredients (about 2 blocks away). We also tried an Italian Place across Ramada (overpriced and have no idea what Italian should be like) and American bar next door (barbeque ribs were bad but the fish of the day was tasty, the décor and service were nice)
Shopping: absolutely loved Michaels Gallery (1.5 bls away) – artesian pieces rather than cheap “made in china” quality at very low (by American) standards. Seashell city has no AC, so I couldn’t stay inside to check all their displays; bunch of small stalls around at least get breezes. Maya store isn’t worth waiting for them to open, but can be a nice photo op (since it looks like Chichinitza ruins from outside)

Room Tip: first floor near pool can get noisy, but there is no elevator to 2nd or 3d floors