“No worries just relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Torres Mazatlan Resort

Save Saved
You added Torres Mazatlan Resort to your Saves list
Torres Mazatlan Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Av. Sabalto Cerritos Esq. Lopez Portillo, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Special Price
40% off room rate
Puyallup, Washington
“No worries just relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

This was my first trip to Mazatlan, 8 nights in a 2 bedroom family suite in building A (the oldest tower right on the beach). As a VI owner I have to say I loved this place. The most unique thing about Torres Mazatlan vs. the other VI resorts I’ve been to is that the entire resort is owned & operated by VI. It made for a great ice breaker in the hot tub at night. You get to meet people from all over and find out their favorite VI resorts and any local Mazatlan favorites and tips. We ordered the Spanish coffee at the resort and I have to say that was the most amazing presentation I’ve personally ever seen. I’m not a coffee drinker but that was truly an exception! One tip I do have is that you can NOT buy liquor after 8 at night and 4 on Sundays. Also if you like to have English muffins or beagles for breakfast in your hotel room you need to bring them from home as the grocery stores don’t carry anything like it. After going to a couple grocery stores we preferred Mega. We felt like they had more selection. Also AWAYS negotiate your taxi rate BEFORE you agree to a ride. For us in the two bedroom suite one half of our party slept on the beach side (which I personally LOVED) at night the waves crashed so loudly at times that it rattled the windows and vibrated the floors a little bit, the other half of our party slept towards the walkway, they had early morning dove cooing and a ferrell cat that LOVED to talk at all hours of the day and night…luckily they had ear plugs so they could sleep in past 5. The only complaint we had was that the bathrooms were so dark. Many times we had to go out to the balconies so we could see what we were doing also yes, the beds are a bit hard but doable. I personally wasn’t a fan of the “Golden Zone” except for the restaurant Los Zarapes. We ate there two nights in a row it was so good. I highly recommend the Chicken Kabobs topped off with Banana flambé!!! Mmmmm! If you go on a Saturday night you’ll need to make reservations as they have live entertainment. We went to Sr. Frogs on a Tuesday night and were shocked when they closed at 10pm. We went back the next night for Mardi Gras night and it was fun but not a whole lot of people there for the high season time of year. In fact we noticed that everywhere we went. On the other hand I LOVED the old district! The market, the church was the most beautiful thing I think I’ve ever seen, the theater/art district, all of it was just wonderful! We went to a little art shop on the corner across the street from the theater called Nidart where they sculpt using leather. I highly recommend checking it out! We also went to Salsa & Salsa (they only offer it to towns people on Mondays, the rest of exclusively for the cruise ships) which is held in a hotel in the Golden Zone, we had a lot of fun there, although make sure you eat breakfast first or you’ll be drinking it as the margarita’s start from the moment you walk in and continue on until the dancing starts. All and all it was a wonderful trip, we never felt nervous or afraid (except for when we were riding in taxis or buses) we were pleasantly surprised by the towel change on the 2nd day and a full room cleaning I think two days after that, we LOVED the free popcorn by the pool in the afternoons, the friendly staff and security people, the fact that each person could open their own individual room credit cards to help keep things simple, and the AMAZING sunsets!!! I hope you come and enjoy it as much as we did!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010

Staying at Torres Mazatlan was a great experience! My husband and I used a family member's timeshare. It was our first time at Torres, and our first time in Mexico. We couldn't have had a better time. The grounds are very well maintained, and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We had an umbrella and two beach chairs set up for us everyday just past the restaurant- days of ocean-front lounging! We went in the last week of October, so families with children were back in school. This is not a "party" resort. We are in our mid-twenties and were probably the youngest couple at Torres. We had a blast making friends and participating in the themed nights throughout the week at the resort.

We were in a one bedroom unit in building D on the 5th floor- which provided a great view of both the pool and the ocean just past it. The unit itself was extremely clean, and very large. Other reviews say the furniture and bed are hard. They don't lie. They are not the most comfortable, but after a full day of activity or sun, it really wasn't that bad. The beach vendors can be persistent...just keep saying no if you don't want anything. In general they are very friendly and usually end by saying, "maybe tomorrow." The La Palapa restaurant at Torres was delicious! Every meal was fantastic and the ocean views as you eat are perfect. I'm not sure how the beach changes throughout the year, but the stretch of beach Torres sits on was at quite an incline. The surf was rough at the shoreline and fairly rocky under your feet...but you don't have to go out very far to get past it. My husband and I did not mind the rougher shore- it provided for some great body surfing! If you are looking for a much more calm, flat beach, take a taxi or pulmonia into Centro Historico and visit Stone Island for a day. The beaches there were beautiful and very swim-able! There's a long stretch of delicious restaurants and if you keep walking, the restaurants end and it's just you, the beach, and miles of coconut plantations behind you. Getting to stone Island is easy- ask for the Embarcadero, and take a little boat across.

The activities desk is wonderful in helping to set up activities. We went on the zip-lining tour with the "Veraneando Adventure" and LOVED it. If you're spending too many pecos, many of the activities can be done for cheaper by bypassing the tour. For example, unless you really want the guided experience, skip the "City Tour" and just take a bus (cheapest and frequent), taxi, or pulmonia down to Centro Historico and walk around! The people are very friendly. And don't worry too much about safety...Mazatlan felt very safe. Whole families are out on the Malecon and in Centro until late at night- it was inviting and marvelously fun!

Overall, I highly recommend Torres Mazatlan. Although we both preferred the experience in the older part of town (Centro Historico) as it felt authentic...it was certainly great to spend lots of time lounging around the beach, swimming in the pool, and drinking Pacifico's and margaritas!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Hope, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Torres Mazatlan is a part of our timeshare with Vacation Internationale. It is located outside of the "strip" in Mazatlan. The service in this time share is exemplary. the location is a cab ride from everywhere which was a hassle. Food at La Palapa restaurant on site is great although we found it extremely pricey. We were not expecting New York prices in Mexico so please beware of that. The Spanish Coffee's are to die for - I highly recommend 1 not more:) The rooms are somewhat dated with the odd glitch which was looked after very quickly. The internet works well in rooms and poolside. My Verizon cell phone was sketchy though but not too bad. I would caution you if you need to use the phone for work though. From other reviews that I have read, I was expecting the beds to be as hard as rock. They were firm but not too bad. No In suite Laundry and laundry is not free. It was $10.00 to wash and dry 1 load. Not what we have come to expect from a time share. It was a fine vacation overall and I would go back

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
gig harbor wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Read trip advisor before going, learned alot (bus into town right outside resort) about things to do. The morning after we got there we hopped on the bus to go shopping at mega. Got groceries for the week and bussed back. That gave us an idea of our location. Took city tour and learned alot more. This resort is so comfortable. The grounds are so well maintained. Everyone is friendly always a "hola", Joaqunia the events planner was so helpful, even with the stupid questions. It's a smaller resort which I really liked. Never a crowd . The restaurant had good food,drinks and ambience. Loved sitting down by the window catching the breeze, watching the waves, and sipping on a cold drink. The colors of the buildings and landscaping gave you a true feeling of being in Mexico. Other places I saw there were like big box hotels,cold. Torres gives you a warm feeling.Had the 2 bedroom,lots of space,nice. The reviews about the beds...yea ther'e hard. My friend had a problem but I just pulled out extra pillows and did alright. Plenty of towels,kitchen clean. TV had it's own version of HBO. Loved listening to the waves at night. If you go riding at Ginger's horses bring a hat. Your out along the beach without shade. You can take a bus outside the hotel the goes right up to Cerritos(end of the line). There is a little strip mall area there that has a nail shop that also gives massages. One of the best I ever had. There was a casino down the road towards Downtown. That was interesting. Overall had a wonderful time doing nothing. Shout out to Grace, thanks for the rides.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Yelm, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

From the minute we walked through the front gate we felt like we were in paridise. The entire staff was awesome. Our room was spacious, clean and had everything we needed. The furniture wasn't like my home sofa but I was comfortable. Every room has a beautiful view and can hear the waves. Our 5 & 7 year old said they liked it more than Disneyland. They were involved in the sandle throwing contest, coloring contest, watermelon eatting contest. They painted ceramics. We enjoyed total leasure with happy hours twice a day. Bingo in the pool. I wanted to cry when it was time to go.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Houston,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Large rooms, beautiful tiles, comfortable furnishings, large appliances complete with garbage disposal live up to their greeting of "Welcome Home". All rooms have a large balcony and face the ocean. It is a gated property with excellent security both at the front gate and the beach access where they keep the vendors off the property. The lush mature landscaping and graceful traditional buildings are a stark contrast to the neighboring high rises of cement and glass. The on site restaurant and bar are quite good with 2 happy hours a day 12-2 and again 4-6. Lots of planned activities for both adults and children. An extremely beautiful and comfortable place to stay if you want peace and quiet in a garden setting watching the sunset and the wave action on the beach. No night life here although a $9 cab ride will take you anywhere in town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

We came to Torres Mazatlan by bidding on the trip at a charity function. Never being in Mazatalan we did not know what to expect. What a wonderful trip we had. The grounds were well kept and made you feel comfortable. The restaurant was great and the most romantic place we ate at. Live entertainment every night and plenty of happy hours. We took long walks on the beach and enjoyed beautiful sun sets. The beds are not good, way to hard and the noise level in the bedrooms is not good either. That is the only non positive comment I have. I recommend you take the city tour when you first get there. It gives a great overview of the area and helps you to plan the remainder of your trip. We would go again and stay at Torres Mazatlan

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Torres Mazatlan Resort? Share your experiences!