“A ++++” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Torres Mazatlan Resort

Orbitz.com Hotels.com
Torres Mazatlan Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Av. Sabalto Cerritos Esq. Lopez Portillo, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Special Price
40% off room rate
Minnesota
“A ++++”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

Okay, so this is the 7th time at this resort in 10 years. Need I say more??? We love this place!!
First of all, we have never had any bugs (or geckos) in our room except a few fruit flies from all our orange peels. (be sure and go to the grocery store and buy oranges if you get a chance---they are amazingly cheap and there are juicers in the room---pure heaven)
If you want a relaxing vacation---this is it. Yes, there is no Gym, but you know that before you go (I hope) BUT....there are lots of long walks on a great beach and a great 2.5 mile walk to a fun restaurant (Playa Bruja) if you wish. Or, you can take the bus anywhere for 5.5 pesos!! (Or 8 pesos for the airconditioned one).
I also agree the beds are hard....but not a deal breaker. We like it that the rooms are cleaned only once mid- week . There are plenty of towels, tissues, etc and then you don't have to get the room "ready" to be cleaned every day.
The suites are spacious and very clean at check in. The balcony faces the ocean (Bldg.A) and the grounds and ocean (Bldgs B-D). There are beautiful sunsets to watch each evening. There is a fully equiped kitchen---great for breakfasts and lunches if you don't want to go out (actually suppers too if you choose). There is no TV in the bedroom, which would be nice, but again, certainly not a deal breaker!
The grounds, pool and hot tub are always well kept and clean. The staff is wonderful---There wan't one staff person who I would have the smallest complaint about--only compliments. The food in the restaurant is very good---don't forget to try the Italian and Mexican nights. They are both great. My husband and I both agree the best Italian food we have ever had is at this restaurant. Imagine that!
Don't forget the two for one prices at the bar at Happy Hour(s)---noon-2:00 PM and 4:00-6:00 PM each day. Try the Chiquita Banana drink--yum!!
The resort offers a City and Copala (mountain) tour. We took both this year and Francis was our guide. She was absolutely wonderful and we learned more on these tours than the many others we have taken in Mazatlan and elsewhere in Mexico. I would highly recommend both tours! You won't be disappointed, that is for sure.
One last thing....there are quite a few vendors walking on the beach. Just say No Thank you and 99 % of them will leave you alone if you choose! If you do want to buy jewelry, watches, braclets, sunglass etc. I would recommend buying them from the vendors right at the hotel entrance to the beach. The same ones are there everyday and have been for years. They will give you a fair deal.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

I will start with the positives. The staff is very friendly and speaks English well. The restaurant food is good with a varied menu and reasonable pricing. Nice pool and lots of chairs. The grounds are neatly kept. The rooms are quite large, and the kitchen includes stove, microwave, toaster oven, dishwasher, fridge, blender, coffee pot, and a good supply of dishes. There is a drying rack for clothes on the balcony and no real hangups about drying your clothes there. The hotel also recycles.

When you first walk in, the room seems clean. Then walk in your socks.... The kitchen comes complete with ants so tiny that they can actually get into the microwave and dishwasher with the doors sealed shut. Take a GOOD supply of ziplock bags. The roaches (Palmetto bugs) are far from tiny! You only get maid service once during your stay unless you pay for it. Then it is just a linen change and more TP and such. I didn't mind the geckos in the room. They only came out at night and were usually on the ceiling. They were much smaller than the roaches. The hotel has a recycling program, but you are completely responsible because you take out your own trash. There is a long list of duties you are to perform before checkout, including returning the TV remote control to the front desk.

The beds are hard, but they are the most comfortable furniture in the room. However, there is no TV in the bedroom. EVERYTHING IS CONCRETE. The sofa/loveseat combo have a thin foam pad, but try to nap on one and you will wack your head on the concrete armrest at least once.

Stay away if you are a smoker. There is a strict no smoking policy with a $250 fine. You are not allowed to smoke in the room, on the balcony, restaurant or pool area. There is an area down by the front desk with about 4 small tables where you can smoke, or go down to the beach. (The smoking ban is consistent throughout the 34 Vacation International properties.)

The timeshare owners are a trip. They are mostly older (I only saw 3 children the whole week) and very territorial. No kidding, I saw someone putting towels on chairs down by the pool in this nice area overlooking the beach at 4:30am!! They stake out early and never leave.

If you want a hotel off the beaten track (more expensive cab rides) and don't plan to spend time in the room except to sleep, then this place is for you. Otherwise, if comfort and convenience are important parts of your vacation, you should probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

Our first comment when we arrived at Torres Mazatlan was, "Wow"! This was exactly what we were looking for in a Mexican vacation. Our adult son, my husband and myself took our first trip to Mexico and were totally impressed with the hotel, its location, and with Mazatlan.

First, the hotel. The location was perfect, away from the crowded "Golden Zone" of typical tourist trappings. Our two-bedroom condo was large, attractively decorated, well equipped, and well supplied. King-size beds, large bedrooms with baths tiled in travertine floor to ceiling, lanai with table and chairs and, thankfully, a drying rack to dry our swim suits and towels. We LOVED the stove with its central griddle, perfect for grilling or heating up tortillas. Our unit looked out onto the beautiful, large pool with the ocean in the background. Within our first hour, a HUGE, bright green resident iguana walked across the lawn in front of our lanai, like he was saying, "Welcome to Mexico!"

The pool was perfect, as was the beach. We walked up and down the beach for what seemed like several miles, collecting shells and watching shorebirds. The restaurant overlooking the ocean served great food, great drinks, and seemed to want to make sure our visit was perfect down to the best salsa we've ever tasted. As for amenities and food supplies, a little "tienda" on the property had all the necessities one might have forgotten. Two large stores were within easy reach. We preferred going to the Sorianna store, a local supermarket where we found any food item we could have wanted.

Then we need to give cudo's to the staff. Gracious and hospitable people, for sure. The activities center linked us to adventures we never would have thought of ourselves. One on the day after Halloween, the "day of the angels", we took a trip to area cemeteries to learn about local culture. It was outstanding. On that same trip, we could have gone horseback riding into the mountains, but we chose to be more sedate that day. On another day activity we took a boat trip into the mangroves to an old homestead on Stone Island where they put us on a virtually empty beach to hunt for shells and sand dollars (we found two), followed by a lunch of smoked fish prepared by the homesteader owners. On the way there and back, pelicans landed on the boat waiting for us to hand feed them fish.

Just outside Torres Mazatlan you can pick up one of several local buses to take you just about anywhere you want to go for 5 pesos for an un-airconditioned bus or 8 pesos for air conditioned. We preferred the 5 peso rides, just because they transported the locals to and from work and played local music along the way. Or, you can take a "pulmania", a converted VW bug for about 9 pesos. We took the buses to the supermarket, to Walmart (don't waste your time), to the cathedral, to the historic district, to the "Golden Zone", to the light house, and just for rides to see what the city of Mazatlan looked like.

We took the bus to the center of town to the market several times a week. Once again, "WOW!" The fresh fish, shrimp, veggies, and fruits were fantastic. Our son, a more adventurous eater than we are, ate at the vendor booths with no problem. Matter of fact, we drank the local water, ate only local food, and never had any "digestive" difficulties. When we didn't buy fish from the market, we bought it from a vendor who came by the resort every morning. The jumbo shrimp we bought for $4/pound were HUGE and fresh; just as fresh was the Dorado (MahiMahi) that we bought from him. My husband and son had cooking contests to see who could cook the shrimp or fish the best. THAT was great, 'cause I didn't have to cook at all. I did make fresh papaya and mixed fruit smoothies for breakfast, however.

To top the vacation off, we were privileged to participate in a turtle release. The Mazatlan Aquarium rescues brown sea turtle eggs, hatches them, and then immediately releases them into the ocean. Twice while we were at Torres Mazatlan, the aquarium staff came to the resort for a turtle release just before sunset. We each were given 3 turtles, told to name them, then on the count of 3, we all put them down and stood totally still while we watched them waddle into the ocean and swim away into the surf. It was such a thrill. GO NEMO, CHUBS AND SPOT!

If you want a great vacation, this is the spot. As soon as we got home, my husband was trying to plan our next trip to Torres Mazatlan. We can't wait to get back.

• Stayed October 2008
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

We just got back from spending a week at Torres Mazatlan. It is a beautiful resort with lovely, mature landscaping. The rooms are gigantic! Our two bedroom, two bath unit was probably 900 square feet!!! The rooms had king sized beds, and the living room even had an extra Murphy bed and two couches that could sleep a couple of kids. The kitchen even had full sized appliances.

The staff is fantastic too - very warm and friendly. They really treat you like friends! Everyone speaks exceptionally good English, but they will teach you as much Spanish as you like. Marta, the terrific afternoon bartender, taught me the the difference between "hot" for surfaces and "hot" for weather. All of the waiters were efficient and entertaining.

Restaurant food and store food prices were surprisingly inexpensive (most dinner entrees in the $10US range and beers around $2US, even better at the twice daily happy hours where drinks are 2-for-1) and the food was okay, but not gourmet (however, the tortilla soup is to die for!). The exchange rate is great right now, 14 pesos to the dollar.

The pool and beach areas are beautiful and spacious, although the other guests have that annoying habit of waking up at dawn to go put towels down to save their favorite chairs (but that happens just about everywhere I've been to!) - you could always find a spot, even after noon. The pool was a bit chilly for my taste, especially given the less than balmy air temperature in mid February (high 70s, low 80s in the day) and the tendency to get some strong breezes in the afternoon. The ocean was cold and had strong rip currents so no one went out there. However, the beach was lovely to walk on - soft sand and miles to walk without seeing very many other people. We had no problem with the very few beach vendors around. They are all really unobtrusive and do not bother you at all.

I only have a few complaints about this wonderful resort. The beds were hard as rocks. We felt like we were sleeping on a piece of cardboard on the sidewalk! On top of that, the sheets were very scratchy and low quality. Strange because the towels were very plush and plentiful!

Another complaint is beyond the control of the resort. I don't know if it's a timeshare thing or maybe a snowbird thing, but 95% of the people staying there were in their 70s or older. We only saw a few couples in our age range (late 30s) and they all had small children with them. The restaurant seemed to cater to the Geritol set - the food was pretty bland (even the salsa was extra mild). The nightly dinner singer was a young Mexican guy crooning the Oldies (Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Nat King Cole, etc.) with a conspicuous accent that just made it sound even worse. It was bad - really bad! We felt sorry for the guy - I'm sure he would have sounded great singing Mexican or salsa tunes.

My final complaint relates to checkout. On our last day, we were informed that prior to checkout we had to remove all the trash from our unit and take it across the resort to put it in the garbage area (or be charged a fee). GROSS!!! In all my years of travel, to all parts of Mexico and the Caribbean, I have NEVER been asked to take out my own garbage. I do it at home, but when I go on vacation, I try to get away from chores! When I politely complained to the front desk staff, they seemed very embarrased about this and said that everyone complains about it. I'm hoping that the management will change this ridiculous policy as it left us angry and with a really bad impression of this otherwise nice resort.

Despite the few complaints, I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation. Just bring your own sheets and maybe a sleeping bag to put between the sheet and the mattress! :-)

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

I cant even express how awesome this place is. i was there over christmas with 11 of my family members. we had a penthouse in building C and a 2 bedroom in building A. Building A has the most amazing view. Absolutely breathe taking. The penthouse was also amazing, true luxury. Great clean spacious rooms. Penthouse has the most amazing bathrooms, all of showers are marble with arched doorways and 2 rainwater shower heads.

Our family ranged in ages 8 to 70, even us young adults had an amazing time meeting all the different people, playing bingo with Ruby and Francis " Gringo number 57" and the beach party was an awesome time that included all you could eat and drink!

We went to stone Island, and the guy we bought the trip off of, picked us up and even stopped at the bakery and bought a really good cake because my little cousin was turning 12 that day! It was the sweetest thing ever!

We did all the water sports on the beach, and i didnt find any of the vendors to pushy, just a simple no thanks, and they leave you alone. If you buy jewerly you must buy it off of ila. She has been at this hotel for 25 years!

The pool area was the perfect size, you could always find who you were looking for. It was never overly crowded, there is poolside, extremely friendly service, and lots going on, but you do have to claim your area early in the morning.

You must go and experience dinner at the Lapala Restaurant. Order a spanish coffee. it come with a table side presentation with fire( it pretty much is more alcohol then coffee, most of it gets burned so its pretty pleasant tasting). And our server was singing it was awesome. We ordered them almost every night and we even started asking them to make us our "Ishmal specials" Ishmal being the name of the server we always had.

I was so sad the day we had to leave and so was the rest of my family. We all vowed that we were coming back again to relive the best vacation of our lives!

Thanks everyone at Torres for always going above and beyond for us! Cant wait to come back!

• Liked — Absolutely everything
  • Disliked — not one bad thing i could say
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2009

My wife and I just got back from a week at Torres Mazatlan, staying with family who spend 3-4 months there each year (and have been doing so for the past 20 years).

If you are looking for a party resort, Torres Mazatlan is not for you. If you are looking for a great place to spend time with family, cared for by an amazingly warm and friendly staff, Torres Mazatlan is a wonderful choice.

The room we stayed in was clean, attractive, and large. The pool area was wonderful - and while smaller than at a mega-resort it was perfectly sized for the size of the resort. The kids pool, attached to the main pool, was a perfect place for small children to play. Torrez Mazatlan is right on the beach, so you can go from the pool to the beach in a matter of seconds. There is beach nearly everywhere in Mazatlan, but Torres is in the middle of a long stretch of fairly private beach, not overrun by people or vendors.

By the end of the first day, the staff were calling us by name. They were amazing - if you go, look for Frances (female) at the Activities booth by the pool, and you will not be disappointed. Juaqina, too, did an excellent job with tours - the city tour is a great ay to start you stay in Mazatlan, getting a feel for the city and where/how you may want to experience the city in more detail later.

If you have your expectations in line (this is Mexico, not Florida, after all), Torres is an amazing place - a great place to relax, to spend time with family, an to get a feel for Mexico and Mazatlan.

• Liked — Fantastic staff
  • Disliked — AC would have been nice
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boca Raton, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

I have been wanting to go to Mexico for a while now, and decided in Novemeber to book something for December. I booked one week in Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay & 1 week in Torres Mazatlan hotels. I am writing this review & posting pics for Torres Mazatlan. You can read my review on Bonito Emerald Bay under that hotel.

Torres Mazatlan is a very humble hotel all around, nothing fancy here. 3 or four buildings, a very small pool, and a nice long beach extending over the next door hotels all the way down to Emerald Bay.
Torres is a small loding place, by far to be considered a resort. It is not a resort. If you are looking for a big ol' resort w/ 4-8 different themed restaurants & multiple swimming pools, this is NOT the place for you. This is 1 notch better than Motel 6.

First the swimming pool is very small - see the pictures i posted. Around 10:30 am it starts to get very crowded. After 1:30pm , you can only dream of getting a table on the pool - ALL taken. Makes sense when its such a small area. But the pool has a small kids section with activities and games for kids through the day. Thus can be good for families w/ kids.
The hotel has 1 restaurant/bar - horrible food. I have not tasted any 1 menu item that tastes half way decent. They can't even serve a proper Pina Colada!! Avoid it, pretty bad quality.

The Beach is very nice. if you like long beach walks in the sun ... you will love this. Nice sandy beach w/ lots of walking distance to cover. The only positive in this hotel!!!

The reception desk is a simple small office, nothing fancy - very humble.
No Fitness center in this hotel. Bummer. What I did is asked around for the closest fitness center & was given the name and directions to 2 close by gyms. The 1 I decided to go to is called Saludable. It is about 2-3 miles away, about 3 dollars cab fare (40 pesos). Saludable is not bad at all. 2 floor gym with weights downstairs and cardio equipment (treadmill, stationary bikes,..etc) upstairs. 50 pesos per person for a day pass. Not bad.
No Internet access in rooms. Only downstairs in the reception area & the pool area wireless is available.

The rooms are gloomy looking w/ poor design. Extra sofa bed in the living room is very bad for your back. I would have been better off sleeping on the floor i think. The room is not very clean, and alot of the applicances are very old. The kitchen is pretty beat up, and smells very raunchy. I suspect the garbage disposal or the sewage system is constructed close to the property or maybe some malfunctioning is happening. This smell coming from the kitchen is not normal.

Now, here is the best part. The hotel has a policy = "NO Air conditioning in the winter", now who comes up w/ such a ridiculous policy ? There were 4 days of our stay that were very humid actually. I had a hard time sleeping. Opening the windows & turning on the fan does not do much at all in such humidity. I talked to the front desk many times about this , and they said there is nothing they can do about it! Bad experience w/ the room temperature!

The crowd there is pretty much young folks & families w/ kids. Thus the noise level is very high ALL times of the day & night. Closing the the windows & balcony door would shut out most of the noise ofcourse, but w/ no air conditiong w/ high humidity - closing windows is not an option! So, you have to hear this noise all day & night long when you are in the room.

I do not recommend Torres Mazatlan to others for the obvious reasons above. You can find similar better quality hotels closer (or in) the golden zone for much cheaper, but at least you will be in the midst of golden zone & all the action.

• Liked — Beach front
  • Disliked — everything else!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Torres Mazatlan Resort? Share your experiences!