“Always Felt Safe!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Torres Mazatlan Resort

You added Torres Mazatlan Resort to your Saves list
Torres Mazatlan Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Av. Sabalto Cerritos Esq. Lopez Portillo, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Announcement
Free WIFI
Puyallup, Washington
“Always Felt Safe!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

So this was my 2nd week long trip to the resort in less than 6 months. I will say that I definitely liked the weather MUCH better in mid January and I did in late June. It was VERY hot & humid!!! We again stayed in building A which is right on the beach. Unfortunately because it was so hot outside we couldn’t leave not only the windows and doors open we even had to close the drapes in the afternoon to help keep the heat down in the room so we didn’t get to enjoy the sound of the waves or the view near as much this trip. We had the air conditioning which when you first walked in the room felt heavenly but still wasn’t quite cold enough for our taste considering we come from the cloudy rainy north west and aren’t used to anything over 80 degrees. The fans for the air conditioning were loud but consistent so I didn’t have any sleep issues since it was like a white noise machine.
The staff were very friendly and the grounds were nice but not quite as in bloom as it was in January (not that that could be helped). We tried going into town early in the morning (around 9am) but unfortunately the market wasn’t open that early and service was still going on in the cathedral. We walked around and stopped in at Panamas for some air conditioned bakery treats and then went back out. Even at that we could only handle staying in the heat for a couple hours. Our last stop was Nidart (an amazing local art store) where they were kind enough to call us air conditioned cabs to come pick us up and take us back to the resort.
That is one thing you can always ask for at the front gate is an air conditioned cab. It may take 10 minutes for them to arrive but well worth the extra time for the cool non-exhaust filled air. We rode in the trucks a few times, a couple of times it was OK but most of the time you end up breathing pure exhaust.
The other thing that was new this trip is that local stores have changed their policy selling alcohol on Sundays (apparently some new local law went into effect). Some places don’t sell it at all and others have very limited hours. Even on the week days they don’t sell it or even mixers after 8pm.

As for safety…I went down this time with my mom & 14 year old daughter and not one of us ever felt unsafe in town and especially not in the resort itself. In talking with the local owners they’ve said that Mazatlan is just as safe now (maybe even safer due to the extra security because of bad publicity) then it ever was. If you stay in the touristy areas and pay attention to your surroundings you’ll be fine. The owner of Los Zarapes (who grew up in Chicago) said that he thinks the American press it highlighting on their drug problems to take attention away from our economy. I equate it to the movie Jaws. Before the movie came out you never heard of shark attacks but after it came out you heard about them constantly. I also personally work in a bad part of town here at home where there are people shot regularly (one block from the local jail and right next door to a halfway house for addicts) Now during the week day I feel safe walking around as there are lots of other business people around and hustle and bustle but at night or on weekends you wouldn’t catch me walking around EVER. It’s the same down there. Be aware of your surroundings and the places you’re going to and you’ll be just fine. Don’t be afraid to visit, they depend on vacation dollars for their income so they have a vested interest to make sure it’s a safe place for tourists to visit.

Oh one last thing, make sure to eat at least one night at Los Zarapes, great atmosphere & wonderful food & service! The night we went there we pretty much had the place to ourselves due to it being slow season and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! (I recommend the chicken kabobs topped off with bananas flambé…mmmm,mmmm!)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
seattle, wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We went with another couple and had rooms next door to each other in the building closest to the beach and it was spectacular! We love the rooms and the staff are so kind and knew us by name. We ate at the restaurant every day and really enjoyed the food and drinks. This resort is away from the hubbub and we loved the quiet beautiful beach. It was a short cab ride to shopping and the old town area and we always got good recommendations from the staff. We participated in some of the daily activities that the staff did at the pool and really enjoyed them.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed in a one room condo at the Torres Mazatlan for a week.

The pros:

A great location. You can easily catch a taxi in front of the hotel. It's not in the city, which is also a plus. The city is a little scary. I also liked how you can walk down the beach and eat at other hotel restaurants.

The staff at the restaurant and by the pool were friendly and accommodating. I loved the little classes the hotel did by the pool. The cooking class was really fun and they had a ping pong table by the pool too.

The beach at the hotel is great. My husband was able to go parasailing off the beach, right behind the hotel. Nice!

The view from our balcony was gorgeous.

The cons:

The furniture in the condo was extremely uncomfortable. It was seriously concrete blocks with very small padding. The bed was really hard (probably because the mattress was on top of a concrete block instead of a box springs mattress). The dishes never looked clean either.

The front desk staff was irritating.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

I'm a new VI owner, my first time to use VI. I have a timeshare at the original Pueblo Bonito which I really enjoy. So I was a bit nervous about Torres compared to PB. Now I've been to Torres I see that each has its strong and weak points.. it pretty much evens out. I was very pleased with Torres and see that I wont have to worry when my PB time runs out. My main wish is that Torres have much more variety in the one menu in their one restaurant...the lunch, dinner, and pool menus all are the same every day. I loved the Asian Fajitas and Pay de Limon/Lime Pie at Torres, but didnt see much else interesting and as I recall no tacos. I miss the fish tacos and shrimp basket around the pools (2) at PB. On the other hand I love to cook in MZT and the kitchen at Torres was much better equipped, had room to cook, counter space, an electric juice squeezer, an oven, and a dishwasher! A bonus is the El Palomar china from Talaquepaque/Tonala near Guadalajara..even an El Palomar teapot/coffeepot. And there are several BBQs outside...you can get charcoal at the little store and grill your own...maybe fish you catch. Free internet for owners only-at both resorts. Coming from Portland we arrive at Torres in the afternoon and always plan to eat at the resort. There is NOTHING to walk to. The following day we make a BIG shopping trip to Soriana for food. Take the bus down and a taxi back. We bring some things from home: extra sharp Tillamook cheddar, blue cheese, monterey jack, bacon, spices, sharp knives, measuring spoons and cups, and thin plastic chopping sheets. We load up at Soriana: bags of avocados and little limes (limones), tomatoes, pineapple, all fruits, lettuce, zuccini, onions, garlic, papaya, lime potato chips, fresh flour and corn tortillas, Pacifico ( the beer from MZT) and etc. We cook a lot (tacos, enchiladas, kung pao chicken, lots of hearty salads and BLTAs-bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado) and eat avocados and limes with everything. I wish Torres kept the vendors completely off the property. I have a tough skin, but I would like to be left alone, unless I come out on the beach to contact them. They have signs on the balconies not to feed the birds, why dont they work on the vendors keeping their distance?
The personnel at both are outstanding. At La Palapa; we were danced to the restroom when we asked where it was! I've been coming to Mazatlan since 1964, traveled quite a bit in Mexico and all over the world, but I keep fitting Mazatlan into my vacation plans every year. I never trade PB, might never try another VI resort, I like MZT so much. I brought my mother to MZT even when in her mid 80s she was in a wheelchair. That's me, I'll be coming as long as I can talk someone in to bringing me down. AND I am aware of the reports about crime in MZT. I feel absolutely as safe in MZT as I do in Portland; I think the crime against tourists has been amazingly exaggerated, but even in my college days I was not on the beach drunk at 3am. Let's be smart and and reasonable. I'll bet the cruise ships quit coming because of a money issue, and they are coming back because someone was paid off. What a shame that Mazatlan's reputation took such a beating; it's no worse than the same size towns Americans come from. I'll be here every year.

Room Tip: If you want a palapa get out there early. If you are not going to be actively using it please don...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Warren, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

We took our second trip to Torres and this time spent twice as long....well worth it! The rooms facing the beach are older (original) but we perferred that to the newer building facing the pool as we were lulled to sleep by the sound of the surf. Service was friendly, everything you need is on site but you can go into town and stock up if you want. The food at the restuarant was surprisingly good and we ended up spending half our dinners on site. The pool was great, there is a seperate area for little children. All in all a great time for us.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Laurel, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at torres for a week late may 2011. The resort was beautiful! I loved the intimate feeling of it- it wasn't over the top huge - you didn't have to walk more than 1 minute to get to the restaurant, pool, or beach. We had one bedroom in tower c on the 4th floor which had a fabulous view. Towers C & D are the newer ones so i've heard. And i was verry pleased with our room. Very spacious and clean- great location. The only complaint about the room is the couch and tv. The couch was actually part of the wall- cement. And had thin cushions on it. So it was very uncomfortable. And the tv was from the early 90s with horrible color. But we still watched a movie every night and it was bare-able. There is no tv in the bedroom either. The beds are hard as a rock but i actually liked that :-) The bathrooms were very large with a huge shower! The kitchen was well stocked with a gas stove and oven- and beautiful dishes! There is a balcony off of every room i think- make sure you get at least to the 4th floor so u are high enough to get a great view! oh and there are no complimentary toiletries in the bathroom like shampoo...so don't count on that. But their little store in the resort will make up for what you forget. They are open pretty much all day - we bought cereal and milk for breakfast, ice cream, and m&ms :-) - we were also able to get more sunscreen when we ran out.
The pool is wonderful! The beach is fantastic! For some reason everyone liked to be laying by the pool more than laying on the beach....except for me and my husband. So we had the beach to ourselves every single day (minus the persistant vendors that came by constantly). May apparently is a slow season here so there were really not a lot of people- which we loved!
The restaurant at the resort, La Palapa, was just ok. Our biggest disappointment on this vacation was the complete lack of real authentic mexican food. We have been to the Riviera maya area of Mexico before and had Amazing food. But had no luck finding it anywhere here in Mazatlan. We even asked around and went to places recommended by long-time visitors or residents. We were disappointed every time. There is seafood served everywhere- you won't find any arroz con pollo or carnitas really. La Palapa lacks in real flavor. Their pina coladas and breakfast waffles were the best things we had there actually. Even their salsa is just kinda blah. We bought some groceries at the grocery store called Soriana (a 10 minute bus ride which is 12 pesos each way) and actually "fixed" their salsa and added it to our own homemade quesadillas. That was the best meal we had on the whole trip actually.
If you have been to any little town in Latin America....you have seen them all.We visited the older part of town in Mazatlan that has the cathedral and it was pretty boring in our opinions. Not much to do or see. The cathedral is not that impressive- I've seen much more impressive ones in Guatemala or even Baltimore, Maryland. I did enjoy the homemade ice cream from a little cart at one corner of the cathedral though. The other thing we enjoyed there was seeing the beautiful beaches all the way at the end of that penninsula...i guess it's the Olas Atlas..? It was very hot and humid though but even so, we strolled all along the road that bordered the ocean and even got to see a cliff diver! But do NOT eat at the Shrimp Bucket there...it's TERRIBLE. The other one to steer clear from near the resort is Playa Bruja. i had to send my fish tacos back because they tasted like they were from the freezer.... not mexican or homemade tasting at all. The tequila shrimp i ordered after was fine though. And they had a mariachi band too which was fun! but over all...it wasn't great.
We went to the golden zone also but again...not impressed. We found a little taco stand that someone recommended called Raul's Super Taco. And those were the best fish tacos we had yet come across in mazatlan....but still nothing compared to how they SHOULD be. We were so bored in the golden zone that we actually walked to the movie theater (Cinamex i think?) next to Soriana and saw Pirates of the Caribbean. The theatre was the most interesting thing we'd seen so far- it was huge and much nicer than any theatre in maryland- a nice deli and cafe inside. very clean all over and cushy seats. of course we were the only people in there though.
Oh and the beach at Torres (at the time at least) had HUGE waves!! My husband was strong enough to last in there for a little while - but not me. I wasn't brave enough. i just waded in the water a bit to cool off- but even then I could feel the strong current pulling me in, sliding my feet across the sand. I prefer a calmer beach (like in St. Lucia!) but my husband loved the waves here!
So overall- Torres is beautiful. The food is awful....and there is not much to do at all. We just enjoyed laying on the beach all day!!
One more thing- no wifi anywhere except that movie theatre.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

As Vacation Internationale owners we have traveled regularly to Torres. On our most recent trip we were again not disappointed. The smaller size of the property (relative to some of the larger ones like Riu and Pueblo Bonito) makes it ideal for families with kids under age 12. The restaurant, bar, and poolside service continue to be top notch. The daily activities are fantastic for the kids. The pool and grounds are excellent. The beach is wonderful - plenty of sand. The same beach vendors are there, and they are respectful. The rooms are clean. The tienda is well stocked for last minute items or beverages or ice cream.

There are some legal issues with the property next door, which appear to be well on the way to being resolved. But as a result the tennis courts are disconnected from the main property and require a walk outside the perimiter - not convenient. But they are maintained and appear to be lightly used.

The hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We did not bother doing much in the way of tours - just the jungle tour which is a boat ride through the mangroves and a stop for lunch - always a great adventure, especially for the little kids (but long - a 7 hour day including transportation to the marina). Otherwise we stayed at the resort. Never any concerns about safety.

The king-sized mattress was lacking... both my wife and I were not very comfortable at night. Not sure if we just got a bad one or if this is common to all the rooms.

We're looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Torres Mazatlan Resort? Share your experiences!