“excellent for a budget traveler” 4 of 5 stars

Sands Mazatlan Las Arenas
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Del Mar 1910, Mazatlan 82000, Mexico   |
Ranked #42 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Tacoma, Washington
“excellent for a budget traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

my wife and I stayed at this hotel in march 2013 for 4 nights and it was perfect. We stayed at this hotel before and always like the service, I'll recomend this hotel for a budget traveler couples or singles., the hotel is located right across the street from the ocean.and the old mazatlan.just beware that on the weekend can be noicy .

Room Tip: the second floor is less noicer than the first foor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Imperial Beach, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I have been staying in this Hotel for the past 35 years..and have always had a warm, wonderful experience. I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. The rooms are very, very clean, the staff are most accomodating. We have TV, some English speaking channels, telephones, and for a nominal fee, a micro wave, same as for a fridge. A beautiful pool, that's HEATED, plus a hot tub! What more could a person ask for......And I travel alone, but here I never feel alone.I usually stay about 3 months.

Room Tip: Ocean view, second or third floors.....don't care about the view, want privacy, there are some v...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My family and I have been visiting mazatlan almost ever year since 1999 and we have always stayed at this hotel. the staff is so warm and welcoming and we have become friends with many of them as well as the other guests there. We have made friends with so many wonder people from all over the world. We could stay at other places but we would truly miss the friendships you make there. The hotel is locateded in a perfect location between old town and the gold zone but is a bit closer to the gold zone. The beach is located right across the road and because it is not right in the gold zone you don't have as many venders bothering you. My uncle and my fathers ashes were both spread in the ocean here and the hotel was so supportive and helped us so much as well as many of the staff members came with us on the boat to spread my fathers ashes as well as helped us by booking the boat for us.

You can view the video at http://gomazatlan.com/Mexico/Mazatlan/Media-Center/Video-Gallery.html#inicia_video and click the link Dave Freemantle in Mazatlan forever.

It was a wonderful day thanks to the love and support from our wonderful friends

Room Tip: I would say main floor but if you want a nice view then higher floor would be good for you
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2007

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days as we were having a sort of family reunion vacation. We had 3 rooms total and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were very clean and the pool was great, I couldn't keep the kids out of it. Nice patio area by the pool to just relax. Right across the street from the Ocean and not noisy like at the golden zone. I would highly recommed this place to anyone traveling on a budget.

• Liked — cleanliness and easy access and parking
  • Disliked — AC not working properly but did not need it cause we had the ocean breeze
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2006

Comfortable hotel along the main drag. Good sized pool which the million kids used at all times. The decent A/C sure was a relief from the horrible sun, heat, and humidity during my stay. My room had a balcony--like most that have a view of the ocean. 800 pesos per night was a little steeper than other hotels in the near vicinity. Green Sabalo bus goes to the area where the night action takes place & also where I went parasailing (at my own risk) and later borrowed the life jacket to go into the strong currents of the ocean. The restaurant connected to the hotel's lobby had good breakfasts, "OK" lunches & dinners. Next time I go to Mazatlan (which WON'T be in or near July), I'll look for a cheaper alternative to this pricey but comfortable hotel.

• Liked — Very easy to reserve room via the hotel's website & email communication
  • Disliked — Too pricey, pool wasn't the most cleanest/inviting place to cool off
  • Tips/Secrets — July's heat & humidity were near unbearable!!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
victoria canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2005

my family ie my brother and i love the sands and wontstay anywhere else my brother passed away a few years ago and wanted his ashes spread there. the hotel was great to my family then and till present.welove it there.

• Stayed February 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2005

This quaint hotel is nothing fancy. Friendly staff, clean rooms and a pool that's cleaned daily is what has brought us to this hotel time and time again. Great ocean views and within walking distance of Senor Frogs (you can get wasted and not have to worry about driving), the aquarium and the Plaza Ley supermarket. We have been staying at Sands Hotel for the past 20 years and will keep staying there. The restaurant has had several owners some good and some bad. However this is a nice hotel for the money.

Been to Sands Mazatlan Las Arenas? Share your experiences!