“Really enjoyed my stay at the Emporio” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Emporio Mazatlan

Save Saved
You added Emporio Mazatlan to your Saves list
Emporio Mazatlan
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Avenida Camaron Sabalo No. 51 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #31 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Red Deer, Canada
“Really enjoyed my stay at the Emporio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

On my last trip to Mexico, I picked the Emporio Mazatlan based on one thing- it was the lowest price hotel that I could book through expedia at the time. I was expecting a mexican 3 star hotel, and I found it to be much more. The hotel looked a little rough from the outside as my airport shuttle dropped me off, but this was because they were nearing the end of a very big renovation. The rooms, however, were fabulous, if a bit on the small side. There was ample room for me as a single traveller, but I could see how it could be a bit cramped for two. Everything else about the room was excellent. The bed was as comfortable and the bed linens were as luxurious as at the Delta hotels. The hotel has an interesting layout, and a small elevator. However, the staircases were actually ramps that were very accessible. I had purchased the European plan.The meals from the restaurant were reasonably priced, and all the products that were used were very fresh. The bar was closed for renovation, but drinks were served at the restaurant. I didnt find it noisy at all, but my room did not face the street. The staff were all very friendly, there was no one pushing timeshares, and it had great access to the beach. When the renos are finished, this will be an excellent destination. All in all, a very good experience, and I will definitely be staying at the Emporio on my next trip to Mazatlan.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
EmporioMazatlan, Director General at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate your comment,

We appreciate that you are sharing your experience in Emporio Mazatlan and we hope to see you again.

Than you for you preference,

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chihuahua
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

The rooms are fine and all the personnel is very kind. On the other hand its noisy they are constructing all around (it's easy to get a pneumatic hammer pounding at the other side of the window) There was just a small pool available and the parking lot is also very small. The internet is hard to get, no wireless, at the business center only, not available at night and sometimes neather at day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
mazatlan_revenue, General Manager at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 7, 2011
Dear Fernando,

Thank you for the time to sharing your comments about Emporio, All the personal in Emporio Want to apologize about all the inconveniences in your stay with us, Let me share with you that we have a New Installations, Al the rooms were totally renovated and now we have the 2 pools available and Now we have a New business Center with new equipment and high speed internet.

I hope you give us the opportunity to have you as our guest again.

Best Regards,
Lake Arrowhead, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

Four days of tranquility, good service, friendly staff, and an overall attitude of accomodation and safety for all us scared visitors who venture to Mazatlan! This hotel is secure! The staff amazingly watchful, caring and sincere. The hotel mgr, Eduardo, makes his guests' needs a priority. From the housekeeper to the front desk to the concierge to the restaurant to the valet to the taxi driver - I never once felt apprehensive. I am a 61 year old single lady who traveled alone. Toured all of Mazatlan (almost always on the "Pulmonia" mobile which is a kick), a financially stable and growing Mexican city that impressed me enough to consider retirement there. Absolutely fabulous seafood for a song! Gone are the pathetic stray dogs, mosquitos, time-share hounds, beggars, and sewer smells. It's not yet overrun with Americans and still is true to its Mexican culture and richness. The coastline is only dotted with high rise hotels. Tipping is actually appreciated. No rip-offs. Spring-breakers few (thanks for the warning US gov) so it was enjoyable all around. Mexican employees still sing to themselves as they work in Mexico which is enough to get me to move there. Three more days was needed!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
EmporioMazatlan, General Director at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 15, 2010
All the staff in Emporio Mazatlan can to thank you for all your comments, we are working everyday to be better and can offer you a hotel renovated where you will can enjoy with your family and friends,

We hope to see soon in Emporio Mazatlan.
Mpls MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

A friend and i visited Mazatlan for the first time for a week Jan 31-Feb 7, 2009. I have been to Mexico many times, but enjoyed this first visit to the city. :et me first say that I have read many many of the other reviews about this hotel prior to my stay and i did take the advise of others with regards to earplugs (but as a side note the night club, during non-spring break weeks, is only open friday and saturday nights. So you will need your earplugs those nights, but no others). So here is a lowdown of the good and bad of the Emporio as well as Mazatlan.
The good: The Emporio was excpetional, the staff was outstanding at all times and very friendly. only a few spoke english, so please be patient, they are very nice and genuine people (I have an advantage of speaking spanish so that works in my favor). The pools were very nice, but rarely used as they are not heated and very cold in the "winter" months. the hot tub was great and acutally hot! I did not eat at the hotel, but spoke with several guests who ate their every morning and loved it! The rooms were very clean and done so in a very quick manner. I always left some candies and a few singles for the maids. The beach was great and the security did an amazing job of ensuring that the local kids/teens did not disturb the guests or sit in the "hotel guests' chairs. We ventured off every morning for a stroll along the Malecon, and it was beautiful! Check it out, and the view is free! We ate breakfast about two blocks away at a quaint place called Playa Bonita (across the street from the Ramada), the waiter, jorge, was always welcoming and waiting for us. the food was perfect (taste and price ($4.50 for breakfast including juice and coffee). i would highly recommend checking it out! it is only open for breakfast. We also ate at Tony's on the beach, near the Marina, several times. The portions are very large and the food was excellent and priced very resonably (under $10 for a dinner/per person). Also, there are fruit vendors on the beach i would highly recommend this for an afternoon snack. the best fruit we bought was from a gentleman wearing a red baseball cap (I never caught his name).
The bad: While at the Emporio the warm water was hit or miss for showers, especially in the afternoon. But that is the only complaint I have about the property.

Mazatlan itself is a beautiful city, if you keep and open mind and don't mind a little trash or exhaust/dust. The people as wonderful and embrace tourists. i had a very lenghtly conversation with a beach vendor and he indicated that tourism is down, painfully low. It is about 40% less than what it was one year ago (this was very vivid when looking down the beach at 3pm and only a few people were walking the sand) although it is not advertised as such. So please, shop with the vendors and if you have a little extra money spend with them, you will find a much better deal than you would in a store! By doing this you are supporting another economy and someones family at the same time.

• Liked — The staff and the view
  • Disliked — Inconsistent shower-water temps.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
EmporioMazatlan, General Director at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
We appreciate all your comments. We are really satisfied that your stay we us was great, we hope to have you again as our guest soon.
Leduc, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I stayed at the Emporio for 3 nights at the end of Jan.'08, and loved it! It was my first trip to Mexico, and my first time travelling alone, so I was a little nervous. The staff at the Emporio did wonders for allaying any fears I had about being a SWF traveller, and helped me out in anyway they could with whatever I needed. (Although the staff are considered bilingual, it helps to know some basic Spanish~ you put in the effort to communicate with people in their own language, they're going to treat you better!)

When doing research for places to stay, I chose this hotel for a number of reasons:
1. Almost every room has a HUGE balcony over-looking the central courtyard and pools, with a fantastic view of the ocean. (I refuse to travel from -50*C Canada to stay somewhere that does NOT offer a room with an ocean-view balcony~ Call me a Princess! I don't care~ I'm not doing it!!!)

2. Most of the people who stay here are local people, especially families with young children = Excellent, laid-back atmosphere! And you know what? That also means a fantastic opportunity to dust off ye 'old spanglish dictionary! :)

3. The location of the hotel is superb~ right at the beginning of the tourist zone, within easy walking distance to some excellent restaurants.

4. It's on a beach~ 'nuff said.

I did not opt for the all-inclusive package, and am so glad I didn't~ There are so many wonderful restaurants nearby, it would be a shame to miss any of them. I did partake of the breakfast buffet at the hotel every morning, which I found to be wonderful, but I'll admit, I was stuck on the made-to-order omelettes and fresh fruit with fresh baked pastries and juice and coffee ~ I wasn't all that adventurous. (The coffee puts Tim Horton's to shame; I feel traitorous saying that, but it's true.)

The beach bar also serves up some [----] drinks, all made with purified ice, which is considerate of them. In typical Canuck fashion, I usually stuck with whatever strongest beer they had.

The rooms aren't huge, but more than adequate~ I've stayed at 4**** hotels that weren't as nice. I ended up staying in #417 and #309. (The phone didn't work in 417, so they moved me the next day~ no problems! #309 has got one of the bigger balconies on the property!!!) The beds~ MY GOD, IT WAS COMFORTABLE!!! Shocked and pleased by that one, I was expecting near-plywood-pillowtop. I think that was the best part of the room~ that, and the huge ocean-view balcony of course. It was big enough, that I had enough room to lay out my Yoga mat, plus leave the patio table and 2 chairs set up. (yes, I brought my Yoga mat all the way to Mexico~ took up valuable luggage space too, dammit.)

The bathrooms are very basic, but they're CLEAN, with CLEAN towels, toilet paper is provided right next to the toilet that flushes, and the hot water works in the shower, which is really all a person needs. The hotel supplies the guests with complementary toiletries, which is a nice touch, and provides a free bottle of water upon arrival.

To get more bottled water, you can pay what the hotel charges, or you can walk North down the main street to a pharmacy, about 2-3 blocks away, and pick up your bottled water for about half the cost. Also, pick up a phone card to use the phones in the lower area of the lobby~cheaper than placing collect calls home and way cheaper than dialling direct from the room.

The only thing I did not foresee and can understand people's frustrations over is the noise level at night, but obviously, no one has any control over that. Mexican architecture being what it is, I don't think insulation is used at all, if ever. Combine that with the fact that every single door to all the rooms are on the outside closest to the street~ a very VERY busy street that is one of the main traffic arteries through town in fact. And then you've got a nightclub/bar not even a 1/2 block away to the North pumping out the bass at a consistently deafening level. Both of the rooms I had were on the North side of the building = NOISY!; the East side is right over the street; the South would be the best bet, I would think. The closer you can get to the beach, the more the sound of the waves will drown out the traffic and the bar. Earplugs work well, I was fortunate to have brought them. Those that don't bring them~ good luck sleeping!

Overall, I had a fantastic time in a beautiful place. I would definitely consider returning to the Emporio, no question. Heck, I'll even bring my husband next time! :)

• Liked — Beachfront, Oceanview room with huge balcony, comfortable beds
  • Disliked — street noise at night
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Revenue M, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
San diego ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

Very noisy !!! Hard to sleep with music from accross the street.... View of ocean is good from most rooms.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Nosy
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
EmporioMazatlan, General Directo at Emporio Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
We appreciate all your comments. We are working to be better everyday and now we can offer a renewed hotel.

We hope to see as our guest again soon.
Gmail.com
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Easy check in, very nice room, very good food, exceptional staff, nice beach, nice front space.. Are repeating this November. Take earplugs for disco a few doors down.

• Liked — Helpful, english speaking, friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Disco to wee hours.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
We appreciate all your comments. We are really satisfied that your stay with us was great and we hope to see you in Emporio Mazatlan soon

Been to Emporio Mazatlan? Share your experiences!