“Calgon took me away to the Costa de Oro!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Costa de Oro Beach Hotel

You added Costa de Oro Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Costa de Oro Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo No 710 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #34 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Shoreline, Washington, USA
“Calgon took me away to the Costa de Oro!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

After a cruise to Mexico in February I decided to purchase a timeshare. Looking primarily in Cabo or Mazatlan, in April I found one at the Costa de Oro on eBay that fit the bill. After the purchase was complete, I emailed the resort telling them I would be using my unit this year. When I arrived, I brought a copy of my contract just in case. Handed it to the front desk clerk and immediately received my room key and towel card! It was totally painless and quite a relief (this was the last of my concerns - that there would be problems checking in).

I can't guarantee this, but I would swear they used my unit for the promotional pictures. Furniture is the same, pictures on the wall the same, view the same ... and I did peek into some open doors and not all units are cookie-cutter decor. The view was wonderful. I overlook the pool and the ocean. The unit has a small balcony with a couple of plastic chairs and a small table for some relaxation after breakfast and again late night. The air conditioner worked it's magic and the unit was always comfortable. Microwave worked, but the turntable had been replaced with one from a different model, so it didn't spin (big whoop). Didn't use the stovetop (and there were pots/pans/dishes in the cupboards) because the resort restaurant had really good food, as well as a couple of other places up and down the Zona Dorada. Oh, and the auction said this unit sleeps 4 - it sleeps 6 if you use the extra blankets and pillows on the two couches.

The two main items other reviewers didn't like were also present (but I knew beforehand, so I'm fine with it) - first the resort isn't new, and it shows. The primary sign, and easy to fix, is the sloppy paint job everywhere. Evidently whomever painted last didn't know about taping things off first. It just looks sloppy. Second are the bichos. Yes, I learned a new Spanish word! The bichos are really, really itsy-bitsy tiny little ants. They made their presence known the morning of my third day (I left an after dinner candy on the kitchen table - bad me). A little discussion with the housekeeper (who by the way was a riot. She doesn't speak any English, and my Spanish is rusty, so it was fun trying to communicate) and a day later they were, for the most part, gone. She dealt with them with a strong arm and a heavy can of raid! She still wouldn't give me more than 2 coffee packages a day though, but she did tell me I could have two regular instead of 1 regular and 1 decaf!

The resort is not all-inclusive, although they do have that option for one of the hotel packages. The restaurant has excellent food, and on Sunday offers a buffet which had my favorite item (lengua). Staff were all very friendly and attentive.

The weather was hot. Ok, it was REALLY HOT. And the humidity was probably 100% (Mist would come off the ocean water at dusk). It was like being in a sauna. After a day I started enjoying it On the third day I stopped sweating so much that I had to change clothes frequently! Then I just got into the routine of 'food, back to the unit to cool down, wander the streets, back to the unit, beach, unit, food, unit, balcony, beach, food, ...'. Oh, then there was Thursday night (if I recall correctly). We had a thunder & lightning show for hours. And it poured down rain as well. It rained hard enough that water came in all of the units (via the front doors). The floors are tile, so it was easy for me to throw the towels down and get most of it - but the housekeeping staff was busy the next day with big brooms and lots of towels!

I also like to travel light. All I took was my backpack with a couple pairs of shorts and 7 days worth of other clothes. There was a laundromat right across the street that cost $20 pesos - and they provide the soap! What a deal

The thing I enjoyed the most was watching the other guests. Since I went by myself this time, I did a lot of people watching. Week 28 is not a big use week for those of us from The States (too hot), but the resort is full of locals. People in other cultures are much more family oriented. Almost every family there was made up of at least grandma, grandpa, mom, dad and the kids. Some even had the aunts, uncles and cousins. It was like watching Ozzie & Harriet for real (or Hazel, Patty Duke, Father Knows Best) because no one was screaming at their kids, everyone was having a great time and showing respect for the other guests. Amazing family dynamics; and something I think we would be better for if we emulated them.

Ok, I think my long winded explanation can be summed up in a, 'Yes, I'm very happy with my purchase and had a great time in Mazatlan' I look forward to next year!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
EL PASO TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

the costa de oro ,is front beach hotel,,,great pool,great rooms not new but decent great air conditioner,,,a block from senor frogs bar in el cid hotel,,,,mazatlan is a small beach town ,in front of the hotel you can ride the bus for 9 pesos to the malecon,the down town,,,pulmonias taxis are 50 pesos, this is a good hotel. for seafood i higly recomend the toritos resaturant ,cheap and big sea food platers ,,,,grab a pulmonia or a bus to down town,,,,for a nice diner or breakfast try the PANAMA a denys with a bakery,,,,,,,,thanks i will come back to the costa de oro,,,,also try the isla de la piedra tour,,,20 dlls or 200 pesos,they take you from the hotel to a island nice they even feed you and beers,,,,,,,

• Stayed July 2010
Spokane, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

We went to Mazatlan for our honeymoon, so we did not get to pick our hotel. I was a little nervous after seeing the reviews, but I loved this hotel!! First of all, if you stay here, pop for the suites. We loved our room. Large living room, big balcony right on the beach and the rooms were super clean. There is even a full kitchen! I got a peak of the garden view rooms, not worth it if you are on vacation. The staff was great at the pool and at the restaurant. We ate breakfast everyday at the hotel and drank every day by the pool and it was a bargain!!! The front desk staff is luke warm, and the wierd thing is you actually get a key, not a key card! Loved Vicky our servere by the pool! The pool is beautiful, and you literally walk 10 feet and you are on the beach!! There is boogie board rental, kayak and parasailing at the foot of the hotel. I highly recommend you take a trip to Stone Island while you in Mazatlan, best day trip!!! Find Victor at Gus and Gus, he sold us the best trip!! Speaking of Gus and Gus, great restaurant across the street, they have live music every night, and Mary's and Bing are across the street as well for the best hamburgers and ice cream! You are in the middle of everything staying in this hotel. We only cabbed it a couple of times, walked everywhere! Great shopping is right next door, and I got a great manicure across the street at Taboo salon. The only down fall of this hotel is the elevators. I feared for my life getting in these death traps. They are old, small, and have no sensor when someone is getting in or out. After three days of the doors almost slamming on me or my husband, we took the stairs!!! Besides that, the room was great, staff was nice, ground are beautiful, loved the pool (lounge in the shallow end with a cocktail) and the beach is a second away! I would for sure go back to this hotel for the location, pool staff and only stay in a suite room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I read up on Costa De Oro and was a little bit concerned but there was no reason to worry. The location is absolutely perfect, right along the Gold Coast on a beautiful beach with gorgeous views of two islands. While not a 5 star hotel, the 1 BR suites we stayed in were nicely and tastefully decorated, roomy and clean. We enjoyed the balcony overlooking the pool and ocean. Staff was pleasant and helpful. Yes, we were accosted by time share sales people from the moment we walked out of the airport to hail a cab (If someone comes up to you claiming to be from the taxi company, before you walk outside, don't stop! They are time share people offering to pay your cab fare to your hotel for a time share visit!).

I agree with many of the others who posted recommendations for Gus Y Gys, Mary's, Rico's coffee shop, Munchkins, etc. However, the best was Elmira d'or which is on top of the hill overlooking the lighthouse and port near Downtown. The view is spectacular. Warning...it cost about 150- 200 pesos for a cab each way($12-15) almost as much as the meal. But well worth it.

I also urge people to check their calendars. We were there just before Easter which is Holy Week in Mexico. The Mexican tradition is to head to the beach for the weekend so mazatlan was packed. It was Spring Break Mexican style with music blasting from boom boxes and brass bands playing fiesta music every 15 feet on the beach. We enjoyed experiencing this custom but it was often noisy until 4 am.

Also, don't fall for the Stone Island trip including lunch, a ferry ride and two activities for $35 per person- it's a nice beach but it isn't really an island and the promised horseback riding was on horses so old they could barely walk. It was still an enjoyable day but I'd recommend finding a way there on your own instead of on a tour.

Overall, a wonderful week of beautiful weather, great surf for boogie boarding, and good food...ya gotta love homemade fresh from the oven tortilla chips!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Saskatchewan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

A very nice budget friendly place to stay. Nothing fancy, but clean and safe. We stayed in the basic room, 2 double beds. Beds were a bit on the firm side, but not uncomfortably so. No fridge in the room unfortuantely, and the hot/cold tap in the shower was a bit tricky to to get set just quite right. But they were clean and roomy. Coffee pot available in room. Standard 2 prong plugins available to power your devices. Smaller TV, but passable for the limitted amount you will be watching it. Don't think they have any rooms with queen beds, just 2 doubles everywhere. Our friends had the room with the kitchenette and living room space. A little nicer, and had a fridge and stove. The timeshare lady never bothered us, but I hear she can be pushy.

Free WIFI internet in the lobby/restaurant and by the pool bar (seemed to have decent speed and quality). Only 1 restaurant, almost all ala carte. Decent food. Bar hours were a little short for our liking. What the hotel didn't have in ammenities, the staff made up for with their eagerness to please. The staff was amazing.

Walk outside the door to the rest of the city. Lots of local shops in walking distance, and the mall is a short and cheap ride away. If you book excersions, go with the guy at the desk in the lobby area not the dude circling the pool area.

• Stayed March 2010
Oklahoma City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

Found the rooms to be very comfortable, and the staff very friendly. Very good location in the Golden Zone. Easy walk to all the little shops.Food at the restaurant was good, but limited selection. However, there are lots of other places to eat in close proximity if you are staying for more than one or two nights.

Yes, just like everywhere else, the pitch for timeshares is a constant annoyance. Just say "No" and keep moving. I found the problem to be much worst outside the hotel where people at little booths continually hawk the timeshare concept.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

We stayed here 7 nights in January 2009. Under a lot of stress, we were looking for a relaxing time. We didn't get one. The timeshare saleswoman pounced on us as soon as we checked in. She also would call our room and knock on our door. She was relentless. To leave the hotel, we would sneak out through the gift shop to avoid her lurking in the lobby. I'm a mild-mannered Midwesterner but I finally had to raise my voice with her on the telephone to stop the harassment.

Much of Mazatlan was like this, unfortunately. We couldn't walk down the street without timeshare or excursion salespeople hitting us up. To avoid rabid salespeople, we walked on the narrow median in the busy street, inches away from speeding buses, trucks and taxis. Taxis honk constantly at you for rides.

It's too bad because Mazatlan is gorgeous. We had spectacular weather and ate amazing food. There are two picturesque islands in front of Costa de Oro. I never got tired of gazing at them.

We enjoyed Costa de Oro's pool area. When built, the hotel's pool probably was magnificent. It hadn't been renovated in quite some time when we were there. The pool area is elevated, affording great views. The pool service was topnotch. You never had to wait to order a drink or snack. Drinks were reasonably priced and there was a daily happy hour. You could run a tab on a credit card, which gave us the best exchange rate.

I never swam in the pool. I preferred the ocean. However, we couldn't linger on the beach because vendors would approach us every few seconds. No lie. I would cool off in the ocean and race back to the hotel pool to avoid sales pitches. A Costa de Oro saleswoman approached us once poolside.

The room was adequate. We had a balcony overlooking the garden area. We could see the pool and ocean from outside the front door. The beds were rock hard. It was like sleeping on sandbags. Room service was excellent. Bellboys delivered ice immediately. The shower was awesome.

We ate breakfast at Costa de Oro once. It was the worst meal of the week. Gus Gus across the street was probably our favorite restaurant though. Also Munchkins has the most delicious, meaty ribs.

I read somewhere that Hotel Playa Mazatlan somehow restricts beach vendors. If true, it would be worth the extra money to stay there.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Costa de Oro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!