“Alternate reality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa de Oro Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Costa de Oro Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Costa de Oro Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo No 710 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #30 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
Shoreline, Washington, USA
“Alternate reality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I've owned a timeshare at the Costa de Oro in the middle of July for three years now. In that time I've never had a problem worse than the sugar ants that my housekeeper, Juanita, gives me a can of raid for. This last year I brought a friend who had never been to Mexico. She was amazed by the sunsets and thunderstorms at night.

Compared to the previous two years, the summer of 2012 found the beaches PACKED with people - all having a great time. I always enjoy watching the local family dynamic - Mom, dad, handfull of kids, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousines, and this year apparently neighbors! Nothing like north of the border, and a nice break from my nine-to-five reality.

I've already bought my airline tix for next year - see you in July, Mazatlan!

Room Tip: Ask for something from the fifth floor up. Or anything in a garden view room if you're on a bud...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I, along with friends and family sometimes, have been coming to Mexico since 1986. This time we went to Mazatlan, Mexico with friends and stayed in the timeshare area of Costa De Oro from the end of August thru early September 2012. It was very quiet, not tourist season but it was very enjoyable and relaxing. All the staff was very attentive to our needs, from the front desk clerks, the maids, the wait staff to the bartenders. We didn't want for anything. It was hard to leave at the end of the week but we will be back again next year.

Room Tip: We like the older timeshare area right on the beach - 5th or 6th floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Victorville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is our third trip to Mazatlan and our first stay in Costa De Oro, it was amazing. All the staff was super nice and friendly. Our room was really clean and unlike other people who have commented, we didn't see one single cockroach. The beds were comfortable and I'd definetly stay there again.

Room Tip: Our suite (Suite Paola) on the 6th floor with oceanview was great!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Costa de Oro was the first place we stayed when we started going to Mazatlan in 1999. We had such a great time, we bought a timeshare here, although lately we have been donating it to charity auctions for their use since we like to stay at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay.

Costa de Oro is in the heart of the Golden Zone, where all the action is and consequently so is the noise. The timeshare units, while very nice, are directly across the street from Gus Gus and they do like to play their loud music late into the night which makes it hard for us to sleep.

I don't remember the beds being very comfortable [they are very hard] but for some that isn't a problem. We have generally enjoyed our stays at Costa in the past and have great memories.

Areas we enjoyed: being within walking distance to restaurants and shopping. We liked the swimming pool and being able to order food & drinks at the pool. The view of the ocean from our balcony was perfect.

Areas we didn't enjoy so much: relentless beach vendors, relentless Costa staff trying to get you to attend a timeshare presentation. The on site restaurant, not so good.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've been going to Mazatlan since 1984 and have spent each time at the Costa. Everyone there has been wonderful to me. The hotel is beautiful. If you have a funny smell from your water, you should smell the water in AZ. I have been brushing my teeth with the tap water for all those years and showering in it and not a thing has happened to me. I just don't drink it. Also, there is free water in jugs all over the hallways of the hotel. Just take your little pitcher from the room and fill it up. You don't have to buy it. If you don't feel the front desk is trustworthy with jewelry..ask me. I had an accident, they took all my rings, necklaces and diamond studs off me before they took me to the hospital. When I got out they were all there. Now who else would do that for you?! This hotel is just amazing. The people are my friends. AND I miss them terribly. I'm not afraid to go there, it's just my money matters aren't the same as they were a few years ago. Trust these people..ALL OF THEM. From the restaurant to the pool bar to the front desk to the maids. They are all great people.

Room Tip: who sleeps?? Fitness Center.. didn't know they had one. LOL
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
CostaMargaritas, e-Commerce Manager at Costa de Oro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear valued guest (Mazatlanlb),

We at the Costa de Oro Beach Hotel wanted to take the time to thank you for taking the time to make such a wonderful post about our Hotel and your loyalty to our brand and port. We would be happy to hear that we will be able to serve you soon; please do not hesitate to contact us directly if We can assist you in any service.

Best Wishes, Safe and Happy Travels,
Ashlland, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a great experience at the Costa de Oro in Mazatlan. Super friendly and helpful staff and great food at the Adobe Restaurant.

For all the negative press about the violence in Mazatlan we saw none and felt completely safe there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
CostaMargaritas, e-Commerce Manager at Costa de Oro Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear valued guest (Northcoast53),

I would like to begin by thanking you for making this comment; We are happy to hear that the Costa's traditional good service and great food at Adobes is still in play on our property.
I would also like to speak more about your safety concerns, people has always concerns when traveling abroad, but after you come here and live your experience you realize is no more dangerous than any other place in the world, Mazatlán is paradise and the Costa de Oro is a little sample of the true México flavor, our staff is a daily reminder of why it is nice to come visit and relax.
Thanks again for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
Best wishes always,
Ontario, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. It is is a great location, close for walking. The people are very nice and helpful. Our room was on the 7th floor that looked out over the pool and out into the Pacific. You do have a beach there also, but watch for when the tide comes in because the beach area gets smaller. The sunset are so amazing that you will think you are seeing things. The colors are fantastic. The problem I had was that the water was not filtered so when you showered, the water had an unpleasant smell about it. You had to by bottled water to be able to make coffee or even brush your teeth. I am not a person that expect luxury but I do want to take a shower in water that does not smell. We travel to Mexico at least once if not twice a year and I have never had an issue with water before. The other issue that I had, was there was no safe in your room. You had to go to the front desk where they had box safe you could get a key for. This was just something that I was uncomfortable with but thought it should be stated. At no time during our stay did I feel that it was unsafe or that we were in danger. We did do some walking around the area in the evening and had no problems at all.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor to over look the pool for the full effect of the sunsets. Check and see...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest (thump57)

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a comment about your stay here at our property. I am surprised to learn about your experience in our showers, I will personally pass the message to our GM to see what was going on in your room. I would also like to invite you to visit our website to see some of the varied options we have available here for you.
Please feel free to contact me in future if I can be of any assistance in selecting a room for your next stay.

Best wishes, safe and happy travels,
+52 669 913 5444

Been to Costa de Oro Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!