“Mostly Terrible” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 72 hotels in Mazatlan
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Mostly Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Among many unpleasant things, the most aggravating was ordering 2 screwdrivers at the restaurant and being brought straight orange juice. We waited for 10 minutes to return them and the waiter never came to the table. We were going to order additional ones with the booze on the side. After having to get up from the table after 10 minutes of the waiter not coming anywhere near our table and tracking him down so he'd come to the table, I complained about the absence of vodka in our drinks to which the waiter just up and walked away from the table. This waiter who did not even smile or make us feel welcome at all, disappeared and did not return to the table at all. After another 10 minutes or so (no exaggeration), I saw the waiter talking to a man who looked to be the manager and pointing over to our table. This "manager" skipped right past our table and started talking to the table next to us and then left that table without speaking to us. At this point we got up and left. Walked right by the waiter who said nothing to us. Later that day, about for hours after this incident when checking out from the hotel, they sent some kid looking to be security, to try and charge us for these screw drivers. I told him I wasn't going to pay him and that he better send the manager over. The manager denied ignoring us in the restaurant and said that after the waiter had alerted him to the situation he turned around and we were already gone. He bold face lied to me and denied his lie as I continued to call him out on it and the terrible service and insisted that we pay or he would call the police. I eventually ended up paying him for 2 orange juices instead of screwdrivers which were only 5 pesos less each. I am a hospitality manager, I would have easily just let that go after a complaint of such horrible service to try to save a tiny shred of dignity. Not these people. The manager's excuse was that we were not the only people in the hotel and that they were busy and I needed to wait my turn regardless. WHAT? After 20 minutes of being ignored, we ended up drinking our watered down OJ's because we were thirsty. It was first thing in the morning and were a tad hung over. This hotel is also built with nothing but sound wave reflecting surfaces. No carpet anywhere. There were a couple different conventions of teens and young adults screaming and running the halls alllllll night long into the morning hours and security could seem to do nothing about controlling any of this. I will definitely never return to this hotel, probably never Mazatlan for that matter. The girls at the front desk were mostly accommodating but still no one in this hotel smiled at all expect for one waiter with silver hair that we had one time. One last thing, our bed was rock hard and didn't not get any good sleep in a week there! Also, avoid the jerks in front of the hotel trying to rent jet skies and para sailing. They will rip you off if they can. People tried to rip us off everywhere we went. Luckily I speak fluent Spanish and for this was able to avoid getting hosed everywhere but having to battle it was exhausting. Try to stay at one of the more business oriented hotels like Fiesta Inn. Nice, quiet, great views and great rooms. And make sure you eat at Pancho's!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

470 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at the Oceano Palace in July. It was a last minute cheap trip which I enjoyed for the most part. It was a little way's out of the golden zone but the walk was manageable. Especially if you don't go during the off season time when it's really hot! The food was good at the hotel and there was a restaurant next door (Tony's on the beach) which had good food as well. The staff at the hotel and the restaurant next door were very kind and accomodating. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable and we both slept really well. My only complaint was that there is someone singing music first thing in the morning at 8:00 am and it was right outside my balcony, but several floors down. It always woke me in the morning. I wanted to sleep in a bit since I was on vacation. If the music started at 10:00 am, that would be totally acceptable.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with ocean view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

This could have been a fantastic stay but for the inept and cowardly actions of management, who refused to show their faces and do anything to keep a situation from going from bad to worse.

And believe me, we weren’t asking for the moon, nor are we “cheapies who pay for 3 star and expect 5”. We knew from the start that the Oceano would be the type of resort where you need to choose the top room category to ensure a pleasant experience. This is precisely what we did when we booked with Sunwing; we selected the top accommodation package of what is called a “Studio with Kitchenette”.

When we checked in, we were told that since they did not have our booked category available, we would be given their best accommodations: a Junior Suite in adjoining rooms 506 and 507 (top floor). Well, you can imagine our pleasant surprise; what a fantastic start to our vacation, or so we thought.

We had a concern, however, when we ventured out onto one of the balconies. The one off of 507 (the kitchenette with two twin beds) was shared with another adjoining room, 508, which - when we arrived on scene - was under a bit of construction. The bellman said that it wasn’t ready to be rented out yet and that perhaps (since we didn’t want to have the possibility of sharing our balcony with strangers) we could eventually take 508 instead of 506.

As it turned out, we never had that decision to make. Just before noon the next day, we received a phone call from the front desk saying that they had made a mistake and that room 506 was not ours and that to keep it, we would have to pay “double“. What?? So are we to get 508 instead? No, that’s not ours either. The kitchenette room – 507 – was to be our only room.

My other half and I were certain that when we booked the oddly named “studio with kitchenette” that it had described a separate bedroom. Without access to the internet (we had not been given the network password when we checked in), we couldn’t verify that fact, but since our Sunwing guy was sitting downstairs, we thought we’d get him to go to bat for us and perhaps help overcome some language barriers.

To make an incredibly long two hour ordeal shorter in the telling, our Sunwing rep ultimately took Oceano’s side and said that the kitchenette was all that we were entitled to and that to satisfy our balcony concern, the hotel promised that they would not rent out 508 for the two week duration of our stay. (Oh that makes a hell of a lot of sense: let’s not make any money on a room just to spite these guests who think they are entitled to a suite.) When we asked how much it would cost to “upgrade” and take 508, they quoted us $65 a night (for the next thirteen nights). At that time, we took a closer look at the room and noticed that the taps on the bathroom sink hadn’t even been installed yet! So we countered with $150 for the entire two weeks and of course, never came to any agreement other than a firm promise from them that 508 would stay unoccupied.

Fast forward one week and on Saturday night, we discovered that the access door to 508 was locked from the other side (it hadn’t been up until then). Later that evening, we heard sounds outside our door; when we looked through the peephole, we could see that someone was trying to get into 508, but seemed to be having difficulty with the card. To make another long story short, I called downstairs to the front desk to mention that we had been promised that 508 would remain unoccupied. The person very casually responded that it was only for one night as there was a teachers’ convention in town. I didn’t say it at the time, but what is it about “will not be rented out” that is open to interpretation? To me, it meant that it will not be rented for so much as five minutes and certainly not for one night, since the next morning, I found strangers standing on my balcony trying not to look into my room. The situation is not just about breaking a promise to us, but it was also patently unfair to the folks who rented that room for one night.

Our Sunwing rep made another appearance the next afternoon. When we drew his attention to Sunwing’s website stating that Oceano’s studio with kitchenette room category has capacity for 4 with “1 bedroom, 1 double bed and 2 twin beds”, he made a vague reference to the fact that we were just two people and that was why…? Excuse me? I pay for a certain room category and just because I am not toting around a couple of kids, I don’t get the "bedroom" part of my accommodations? Didn't I pay for it? (Note to reader: yes, Sunwing is going to get a letter from us regarding this matter.)

It is clear at this point that our Sunwing rep is not exactly going to bat for us, but he did say that he will speak again with management. He later called up to our room to let us know that management didn’t know how “that mistake” occurred (i.e., the renting out of 508 for one night) and that he got a renewed promise that it would not happen again.

During the first week of our stay, we were without water service from 8:00 pm to 5:00 am two days in a row. Both times, we received about three hours’ notice of the shutdown. In the second week, our hot water disappeared without warning one evening, although it was restored within a couple of hours. It became a running joke between me and my husband during the latter part of our stay: will we have water? Will it be hot? Will we have strangers on our balcony?

On our last night, we again discovered that 508 had been rented out. On this occasion, those people did not venture out onto the balcony. Just was well… our return flight was delayed for about ten hours so we did not move from our room – and our balcony – until the noon checkout.

The moral of this review is that if you have issues, management at the Oceano Palace may not understand the concept of “the customer is always right”, particularly when the customer IS right, if you know what I mean. (And this was even a two week customer!) This experience, while it did not ruin our vacation by any means, was off-putting enough that we won’t chance it again. We will be back in Mazatlan in the future, but we won’t be at the Oceano Palace.

If you think you will be lucky enough to arrive and encounter no problems with your stay, then here are three things the Oceano has going for it: 1) no need to get up early to reserve lounge chairs under the palapas on the expansive, sandy beach, 2) the resort is quite clean and well kept, and 3) it is located close to many restaurants that are decently priced.

And maybe on the down side: 1) front desk staff are a bit hit and miss when it comes to customer service (e.g., it shouldn’t be an impossible challenge to get change for 100 pesos), 2) they will likely be renovating for a while yet, so be prepared for all sorts of disruptions (like the water thing) and construction noise, and 3) a poorly installed (triple pronged!) electrical outlet in our kitchen allowed armies of teeny, tiny little bugs to overrun the countertop; we bought some insecticide spray and it did the job.

Would also like to mention that we tipped a small amount every day and our maid service was excellent. The bellman was accommodating and friendly and Tony was great in assisting with tours and providing information. Oh, and if you need internet access, ask for the password and expect that it will change within a two week period.

Room amenities: one bottle of water, soap and shampoo. No clocks (except on the microwave if you have a kitchenette). All rooms have safes. 506 and 508 had hair dryers, 507 did not. Hangers in the closet are functional when removed. 507 had generous counter space in the bathroom; showers are big and roomy. 506 was the only room out of the three that had another mirror outside of the bathroom area. 507 has an extremely tiny closet and very little other storage space for clothing; they had to bring up another bureau for us. Kitchenette comes with small appliances such as coffee maker, blender and toaster. Range only has two burners that are very close together. Some outlets have been upgraded to triple prongs; be safe and bring along an adapter if you have a computer. Lighting could have been brighter (especially over the food prep area) but was acceptable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed there in February for a week. We got an excellent rate on this property, and for only $25 for the entire week, received an upgrade to an ocean front room. Our room was on the 3rd floor and we had a beautiful view of the ocean below. Rooms are adequate, nothing fancy but we had an in room safe, 2 double beds, everything was fine. Service at the hotel was really good. No complaints. We didn't use much of their facilities.. mostly just used the hotel to sleep and shower. Would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Gr.Rapids Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Another wonderful stay, 10 of us this time ! Great staff, always friendly and so helpful. Hats off to Señor Tony - booked 2 fishing trips and a Zip line tour that was Great ! He goes out of his way to get you good deals, and you get the trip he sets up ! The gym was a hit for my Dad, Granddaughters had a blast, we all had a great time, Thanks to all the staff at the Oceano !

Room Tip: Love the suites, we love to be laid back, kitchenette is a great way to go !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Airdrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

So after reading so many reviews that had so many trivial complaints, we went there!

Greeted by Alberto the bellman at the front door and checked in by Yehlina. Room was above expectations. Left 25 pesos for the maid ( sorry but cant remember her name but on 5 th floor. She left three towels , face cloths, and bath mat ). It seems that all of the poor reviews are left by cheapies who pay for 3 star and expect 5 star!
Martin at the bar was great, and the entire staff is great. The hotel seems to cater to Mexican groups for breakfast and lunch meeting with loud music but when in Rome!!!!

My only complaint is that Sunwing should have advised that the hotel was being renovated, and loud construction noise lasted until 9pm each night. On the last night we were offered to move to Luna Palace, which is very nice but we stayed place.
Oceano Palace is great value with a terrific staff....Viva Mazatlan

oh yeah, Fat Fish restaurant is 150 yards away for the best ribs!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
La Mirada, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Our family of 6 (kids ages 16, 14, 12, and 10) stayed here for a family wedding from March 1-3, 2013. We had a nice-sized junior suite on the 3rd floor for a fantastic price! This was a very clean hotel on the beach.
The lobby check in staff was just OK. All other staff at the hotel from restaurant to maid service was great! The buffet in was reasonably priced and delicious. The hotel was going through a remodel, but regardless, it remained clean and didn't experience any noise. Contractors were also very courteous.
The rooms were very clean, however, some balcony locks required effort to lock, but they did lock. Some windows needed repair and entrance doors did not have the traditional door swing guard which offers extra security. But regardless of these few anomalies, our family did have a fun and relaxing stay. The pool and entire are was clean and the hotel offered enough security to make us feel safe.
I certainly would recommend this family friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Some corner balconies are shared, so please let the staff know if you want privacy with your own bal...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Oceano Palace? Share your experiences!