“Very decent hotel with a Budget Price” 5 of 5 stars

Oceano Palace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Camaron Sabalo S/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
San Diego US
“Very decent hotel with a Budget Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you're looking for the best-value budget hotel in Mazatlan, this is it. The service is much better than most of the overpriced hotels in Mazatlan. The pool is fine. Basically, if you're on a budget and want to get the best value for the money you spend and still be able to enjoy a very decent hotel with great service and no strings attached, you've found your next hotel destination in Mazatlan.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Pros:
- great value for price
- Ocean view rooms are amazing
- staff very friendly, amazing people
- on the beach, steps to Ocean
- close walk to restaurants and shopping
- clean, no bugs, nice beds, comfortable
- balconies with Oceanview rooms clean, and spacious. Amazing vistas.
- front desk staff so helpful.
- Tony, travel agent - amazing service!

Cons:
- mountain view room? Gross. We begged for upgrade.
- we arrived at busy time, too many kids. Not hotels fault.
- hard to get drinks by pool. Need more attention here. Opportunity to make $$$ lost.

Room Tip: Request ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I travelled here for valentine's day Feb 14th 2012. It was our first time in Mazatlan, and my parents were staying at the RV park about 2 blocks down the road. It was the first time we did not go 'all inclusive', so I kind of knew what I was getting into. ( no fridge, no microwave etc etc etc, no booze in the room)

First off, I want to say I booked the trip over orbitz for sure cheap (i think 300$ for two people for 7 days?) I was kind of concerned as a traveller because I wasn't sure if when we arrived if everything would be in order as normally we buy a package.

They greeted us, and were super friendly, great english and no problems!

I had flown with a few connectors, and they lost my luggage, but Alaska airlines were wonderful and they had driven it to the hotel the next morning- and they kept it behind the desk check in for us as we went for a walk in the morning. Excellent Customer service! They were just as happy for me, as I was to see my bag!

The hotel was CLEAN, super marble, shiny, clean. My room, like all rooms in mexico kind of smell "musty" but that has nothing to do with the hotel, it's called humidity. It was also Feburary, and they had had some rain. But the rooms, the sheets smelt like bleach (good sign) and the king bed was HUGE. it had a beautiful mountain view, and honestly no complaints.

I will however mention that the windows, DO open, but have no bars, so technically if you have kids---do not let them near the windows. Again, nothing to do with the hotel, just no mexican 'law' i guess :)

But yeah, seriously the BESt beaches we have ever been to. Better than Peurto Vallarta, and Cabo for sure. You can walk and walk and walk and walk. All the restaurants are cheap cheap cheap (2.60$CAD for breakfast at Tony's!) and My husband and I walked from the hotel all the way down the malacon, and then took one of the little taxi's back.

We did eat one morning at the 13$ breakfast buffett, it was perfect food for what we wanted.. tastey, clean and yummy.

We did eat late night there, but I wasn't overly impressed it was just kinda 'blah' but again it was late late and the kitchen was closing, so it's all good.

As for the hotel, my husband used the gym, we loved the pool, it was clean, my sheets were changed everyday, we loved it for what we did in Maz,

Would go back in a heart beat.

PS: I took a foldable "cooler" bag, and brought it with us, went to the OXXO (7-11ish) and bought ice, and then just went and bought stuff and kept it in there! Worked like a charm!

so we had fruit, and yougurt, cheese, snacks and everything it was awesome! Just keep it discreet as you're not really supposed to have it i guess, but no one said anything to us :)

Oh and the showers are hot like normal :)

I will include some pictures!

Room Tip: We actually perfered our mountain view :)
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Oceano Palace. The views from our room were stunning, the beach and pool were very pleasant, and there are a dozen good restaurants in short walking distance. The staff were courteous, pleasant and helpful. The public spaces in the hotel were newly-renovated and well-maintained. Rooms were spacious but a little worn; balcony doors did not close properly, slatted windows wouldn't close and rattled in the wind, the shower was missing one of the glass doors. Beds are a little firmer than we would prefer. Small kitchenettes and a mid-sized fridge allowed us to make breakfast and store leftovers. The hotel was quite busy with private parties, a wedding and a Quinceañera party; perhaps because we stayed there between Christmas and New Year's.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are noisier, particularly on lower floors. South side rooms are quieter. North...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ChulaVista, Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We really enjoyed the hotel. The service was always friendly and responsive. We were surprised that we did enjoy the food, breakfast and lunch at the hotel. They did a wonderful job of preparing the fish that was caught on our fishing trip. We were there for a week and met so many guests that had been going back for years.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

i will never stay at this hotel again. I travelled solo and booked a beach front with kitchenette. I planned on making a few meals myself. Kitchenette was very small and carried the bare necessaties. The fridge wasnt turned on and smelled like mold. I had to ask the staff to clean it before I put food in it.The eating utensils were stored beside the garbage pail underneath the sink. I ordered room service for one meal. very expensive for the lack of taste.The food at this hotel is sub-par considering how delicious other restaraunts are in the area.
The front desk does not speak english fluently and could not respond to the few requests I did have. The tub was dirty and had to be recleaned by housekeeping. The paint in my room looked like it was done by a pre-schoolar. I had 3 single beds in one side of the room. I wanted a queen or king bed. 1 bed is sufficient for 1 person. The kitchenette was about 3 square feet of space. I fell outside the hotel on my first night, no medical aid was offered when I asked if they had a doctor on staff. I asked the front desk staff for an ash tray as I booked a smoking room. After I asked 5 times I mentioned it to the owner only to be told thr whole hotel is smokefree. I got a hold of my representative from SunWing vacations, and told him that I wanted to stay at a different hotel but instead moved me to a room on the 4th floor. This one actually had a kitchenette but was barely stocked with dishes and cutlery beside the garbage pail It had one queen size bed and had been repainted. The pool water was green from morning to night as the kids were using it to splash in all day! Taking a relaxing swim in clean water would have been nice but I dont dare swim in that water. The food was edible, The outside bar was closed the entire time. The hilight of this hotel is the charming and kind bartender. I think his name is Felix, the kindest and most helpful employee in the whole hotel. The fist week of my vacation was full of stress due to the lack of communication with the girls at the front desk. In the 15 times Ive stayed in Mazatlan. this is the first really bad experience for a hotel that Ive had.

Room Tip: Ive heeard they are upgrading the rooms, make sure you get a room thats been redone.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Playa172011:
First of all I would like to thank you for taking you time and send us your feedback about your last stay with us, your comments are very important for us, this is the only way to improve our service every day; our goal is to exceed your expectative, in this case, we failed, on behalf all the staff I apologize for all the inconveniences during your stay.

Unfortunally we don’t have rooms with kitchenette and one bed that´s why we did a room in the fourth floor with a king bed and a kitchenette according to your request, I don’t remember see the pool water green during your stay or receive any comment about it, we do chemical test every day. I am sharing this review with all the staff of the hotel and I am sure the bartender Felipe will be happy to hear from you.

We will be glad to have you again in this hotel and I would like to ask you please to contact me in the near future to make sure personally you have a wonderful stay with us. Looking forward to see you soon
Happy Holidays

Eduardo Jimenez
Rooms Manager
ejimenez@oceanopalace.com
Ajijic, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We've stayed at the Oceano Palace many times over the last several years. We often say we'll go somewhere else, but always end up going back. It's an older hotel but all the common areas and the pool were redone a couple of years ago. The rooms are basic but are clean and comfortable. Prices are very affordable, much less than you'd expect for a beachfront room. What keeps us coming back? It\s the beach, the view, the value, the staff and as of our last stay we can also add the pizza. They replaced the old nightclub with a new pizza & Italian restaurant - the pizza is excellent. The location is right on the beach and right on the main road. Just a few steps away to quick & easy transit and also many good restaurants. All staff we've encountered are excellent but special kudos go to server Martin & bartender Angelica and especially manager Eduardo - you all helped make our stays exceptional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear johnNkaren:
Thank you very much for take some minutes from your vacation in Mexico and send us your kind review, we really appreciate your comments, and we are very glad to hear from you, all our guest are special but we want to thank you also for your loyalty for all these years staying with us, it is a pleasure to serve you.
I am sharing your review with all our staff, Martin and Angelica will be happy to know about your comment. Looking forward to see you soon, all the staff in Oceano Palace hotel wishes you Merry Christmas and a wonderful year 2013.

Happy holidays!!!

Eduardo Jimenez
Rooms manager.

Been to Oceano Palace? Share your experiences!