“3 STAR?? BARELY” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 74 hotels in Mazatlan
Calgary, Canada
“3 STAR?? BARELY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

i will never stay at this hotel again. I travelled solo and booked a beach front with kitchenette. I planned on making a few meals myself. Kitchenette was very small and carried the bare necessaties. The fridge wasnt turned on and smelled like mold. I had to ask the staff to clean it before I put food in it.The eating utensils were stored beside the garbage pail underneath the sink. I ordered room service for one meal. very expensive for the lack of taste.The food at this hotel is sub-par considering how delicious other restaraunts are in the area.
The front desk does not speak english fluently and could not respond to the few requests I did have. The tub was dirty and had to be recleaned by housekeeping. The paint in my room looked like it was done by a pre-schoolar. I had 3 single beds in one side of the room. I wanted a queen or king bed. 1 bed is sufficient for 1 person. The kitchenette was about 3 square feet of space. I fell outside the hotel on my first night, no medical aid was offered when I asked if they had a doctor on staff. I asked the front desk staff for an ash tray as I booked a smoking room. After I asked 5 times I mentioned it to the owner only to be told thr whole hotel is smokefree. I got a hold of my representative from SunWing vacations, and told him that I wanted to stay at a different hotel but instead moved me to a room on the 4th floor. This one actually had a kitchenette but was barely stocked with dishes and cutlery beside the garbage pail It had one queen size bed and had been repainted. The pool water was green from morning to night as the kids were using it to splash in all day! Taking a relaxing swim in clean water would have been nice but I dont dare swim in that water. The food was edible, The outside bar was closed the entire time. The hilight of this hotel is the charming and kind bartender. I think his name is Felix, the kindest and most helpful employee in the whole hotel. The fist week of my vacation was full of stress due to the lack of communication with the girls at the front desk. In the 15 times Ive stayed in Mazatlan. this is the first really bad experience for a hotel that Ive had.

Room Tip: Ive heeard they are upgrading the rooms, make sure you get a room thats been redone.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Playa172011:
First of all I would like to thank you for taking you time and send us your feedback about your last stay with us, your comments are very important for us, this is the only way to improve our service every day; our goal is to exceed your expectative, in this case, we failed, on behalf all the staff I apologize for all the inconveniences during your stay.

Unfortunally we don’t have rooms with kitchenette and one bed that´s why we did a room in the fourth floor with a king bed and a kitchenette according to your request, I don’t remember see the pool water green during your stay or receive any comment about it, we do chemical test every day. I am sharing this review with all the staff of the hotel and I am sure the bartender Felipe will be happy to hear from you.

We will be glad to have you again in this hotel and I would like to ask you please to contact me in the near future to make sure personally you have a wonderful stay with us. Looking forward to see you soon
Happy Holidays

Rooms Manager
ejimenez@oceanopalace.com

496 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Ajijic, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We've stayed at the Oceano Palace many times over the last several years. We often say we'll go somewhere else, but always end up going back. It's an older hotel but all the common areas and the pool were redone a couple of years ago. The rooms are basic but are clean and comfortable. Prices are very affordable, much less than you'd expect for a beachfront room. What keeps us coming back? It\s the beach, the view, the value, the staff and as of our last stay we can also add the pizza. They replaced the old nightclub with a new pizza & Italian restaurant - the pizza is excellent. The location is right on the beach and right on the main road. Just a few steps away to quick & easy transit and also many good restaurants. All staff we've encountered are excellent but special kudos go to server Martin & bartender Angelica and especially manager Eduardo - you all helped make our stays exceptional.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear johnNkaren:
Thank you very much for take some minutes from your vacation in Mexico and send us your kind review, we really appreciate your comments, and we are very glad to hear from you, all our guest are special but we want to thank you also for your loyalty for all these years staying with us, it is a pleasure to serve you.
I am sharing your review with all our staff, Martin and Angelica will be happy to know about your comment. Looking forward to see you soon, all the staff in Oceano Palace hotel wishes you Merry Christmas and a wonderful year 2013.

Happy holidays!!!

Rooms manager.
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Oceano Palace had everything we needed for a relaxing vacation. Although it is not the most fancy hotel in Mazatlan, we found it to be clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the view from our balcony was outstanding. Fernando and Alberto (the Bellmen) were extremely nice and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. Also, Tony, he helped us book the Stone Island excursion. 400 Pesos (about $33 USD) a person included transportation to and from the marina, a double deck boat ride, ending at Stone Island where we had an open bar and lunch. Also there was a variety of activities, in the all inclusive package you get to choose 2. My wife and I went horseback riding, and kayaking. I have been on these excursions before and it was the first time I did not feel rushed to get back on the truck and head back. After our activities we still had time to play on the beach. Thank you Tony for setting this up for us.Tony also saw me coming back from the market across the street with beers & sodas and got me a cooler that we were able to use the entire length of our stay, again Gracias Tony! The restaurant was OK, we ate there once, but we like to eat at the local places, not a bad restaurant, we just like to venture out. My only complaint of Oceano Palace (this is very minor) is the music played at the pool. I swear it was about a 5 song loop that played over and over, some of the songs were even cut off at the end, it was funny and also annoying, come on management! Step up and buy an MP3 player of some type! Mexico has too much great music out there! Like I said, very minor, nothing to keep us from staying there again. We enjoyed ourselves, and the staff made our stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view!
Dear Theatreofdan:

Thank you very much for your time and send us your review, all your feedback is very important for us, such us the comment about the music, Food and beverage manager took care of that and have more variety of music 7 days a week. We are glad to know that you could enjoy the tours in the city and had a great time. We hope to see you soon by this your house in Mexico, OCEANO PALACE HOTEL and serve you as you deserve.

Happy Holidays

Rooms Manager.
Paso Robles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was our first stay in Mazatlan in our timeshare and we loved the location and the view. The beds were on a cement platform, so very hard. I loved the view on he 5th floor, however we had a difficult time communicating we wanted a queen or king bed. We eventually got two connecting rooms that made the stay much better with a king bed in one room!. My husband kept reminding me this was Mexico as I recoiled with seeing two huge cockroaches on the floor. The restaurant was lovely for breakfast and he staff very attentive. November is the time to go as no rain and sunshine and warm ocean water.

Room Tip: Ask for the top or 5th floor as the music below is very loud from early morning until late at night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Angelbab:

Thank you very much for taking your time and send us your feedback of your last vacation with us, our goal is to exceed your expectative and in this case we can see we failed, your comment is very important for us this helps us to improve our service, housekeeping is reinforcing their fumigation program, we are glad that you like the restaurant service, we are sharing this comments with our staff in our briefings. you can contact us at reservaciones@oceanopalace.com to make a request in your room reservation in the future, thanks again for your comments and we are looking forward to see you soon.

Cordially

Eduardo Jimenez R.
Room manager
ChulaVista, Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our first visit to Oceano Palace! we stayed here for a week. we had a blast. Clean, very nice hotel and the view spectacular, the service could not have been better, no complaints at all. We will definitely go back to Mazatlán, it´s beatiful and safe!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alisha M:

We would like to thank you for your kind comments about your last visit to your house in Mexico, OCEANO PALACE, we are very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, I am sharing your review with our staff during our briefings to invite them continue offering the warm service that characterize Oceano Palace hotel.
Thanks again and hope to have the honor to have you here in Mazatlan very soon.

Best regards

Eduardo Jimenez R.
Rooms manager
Garner, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was very nice, the people were extremely friendly, but the beds were very possibly the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. If we hadn't prepaid, I most likely would have moved after the first night.

Room Tip: The beach side rooms have an amazing view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Canyon Country, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Oceano Palace. We were given a 5th floor with a nice little balcony and amazing views of the Pacific. Mazatlan was very hot during our stay so most of the daytime was spent in the nice pool or our ice cold room. Nice modern A/C unit kept our room nice and cool.

Free wifi that worked fine with no problems even on the top floor. Was able to connect up laptop and phone at the same time. Housekeeping supplied us with a mini-fridge, very nice to be able to have cold drinks in the room.

Only complaints were the beds are firm and the showers could use a bit of modernization. Overall we had a great time here with many good restaurants nearby. Great service and value, would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the oceanview, very worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Jeff D:
We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to be service to you during your last visit to Mazatlan. Thank you very much for your feedback because feedbacks like yours that allows us to continue providing the type of service and products our guests need most. Thank you for taking the time to write us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Looking forward to see you soon

Rooms Manager

Been to Oceano Palace? Share your experiences!