“Nice place, friendly people, beds like a prison” 3 of 5 stars

Oceano Palace
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Camaron Sabalo S/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Garner, NC
“Nice place, friendly people, beds like a prison”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was very nice, the people were extremely friendly, but the beds were very possibly the most uncomfortable I have ever slept in. If we hadn't prepaid, I most likely would have moved after the first night.

Room Tip: The beach side rooms have an amazing view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Canyon Country, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Oceano Palace. We were given a 5th floor with a nice little balcony and amazing views of the Pacific. Mazatlan was very hot during our stay so most of the daytime was spent in the nice pool or our ice cold room. Nice modern A/C unit kept our room nice and cool.

Free wifi that worked fine with no problems even on the top floor. Was able to connect up laptop and phone at the same time. Housekeeping supplied us with a mini-fridge, very nice to be able to have cold drinks in the room.

Only complaints were the beds are firm and the showers could use a bit of modernization. Overall we had a great time here with many good restaurants nearby. Great service and value, would stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the oceanview, very worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Jeff D:
We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to be service to you during your last visit to Mazatlan. Thank you very much for your feedback because feedbacks like yours that allows us to continue providing the type of service and products our guests need most. Thank you for taking the time to write us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Looking forward to see you soon

Rooms Manager
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was there Labor day weekend, first time in Mazatlan and it's hot and humid!! One night it rain hard and the streets were flooded. The location of the hotel stopped any car from driving trough so me an mi lady had to walk in 2 feet of water for a couple of miles. Ok on to the hotel, it's a bit North of most major attractions. Has a nice pool, and a nice beach with it's own palapas.. The gym was also nice. I didn't try the restaurant so no comments there. There's a local authentic Mexican restaurant across the street and had breakfast there for like $2 dollars. there is also a money exchange company which made it convenient. The room was a bit musty but I'm guessing you can't help it when the weather is humid as it was.. The beds were a little stiff, but clean overall. I opted for a ocean view room and it was great.. You have two islands in plain view.. Only thing that did bug me was that I could not charge my laptop because the walls only have a 2 prong outlet and not a grounded 3 prong like here in the U.S.
I did ask for an adapter and they told me they were out. Overall it was a good for the price.. Not too fancy and a step above motel 6.. If there is noisy people in the hallways, they can easily be heard in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
El Fuerte, Sin.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

It is on the beach, the rooms are very basic, a little on the small side, but clean and have TV, phone and air conditioning. The building itself is clean as well and has a pretty nice restaurant, food is delicious. It has a first class gym! The staff are all extremely helpful and friendly. The value, in my optinion, is phenomenal.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Since the first day the staff treated my guests and I very very poorly. The rooms weren't ready, my card key wouldn't open my room door, a/c in one of my other rooms didn't work, guests have to wear a bracelet to be identified(bad move in Mexico, because everybody knows you are staying at a hotel, including the bad guys). Pool side bar was never opened. Inside bar closes at 10 pm (no fun). Very uptight atmosphere, not worth the money, one can find much better service and a more relaxed enviroment for equal or less money. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED

• Stayed June 2012
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear ibyaed:

I would like to thank you for share your experience with us, our goal is to satisfy to all our guests and make their stay enjoyable, in this case we fail, and on behalf of all our staff and myself please accept our sincerely apologies, the hotel guest feedback is very important for us, that´s the only way to know where we are located and to improve our operations plan to make better efforts with our future guests; the use of the bracelets is for your own safe and have the hotel installations exclusive for our guests, Mazatlan is very safe for everybody. I share this comment with the head departments and we agree to improve the service in this matter.
We will be glad to have you with us in the near future and give us the opportunity to offer you the warm service that characterizes Oceano Palace Hotel, I would like to take care of you personally you can feel free to contact me any time.
Looking forward to see you soon

Rooms Manager
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Great overall stay and experience. The staff was friendly and very helpful and the hotel is located right on the beach!They have a recreation desk and they set us up for a zip line tour which was tons of fun. For 50 dollars a night you would be hard pressed to find a better deal for the location alone. The hotel itself was very nice, recently updated, our room was a nice size and was clean. The beds are a fairly firm. The hallways echo because the floors are marble tile so noise does carry, I was never awakened but there is a noticeable echo. The bathrooms are a bit small but ours had good water pressure and hot water. There was also a/c in our room which helped because it was rather warm when we were there and were not facing the ocean. We ate breakfast(buffet) at the restaurant, there was a nice selection of fresh fruit, fresh juice, a omelet station, and a vast selection of other items. Since the beach is just feet away its great to get beer and apps delivered while you soak up the sun. They have a great happy hour! I will most definitely stay here again and recommend you give it a try as well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were extremely happy with the hotel staff, the property, and the room. From the front desk, to the waiters, and the housekeepers--each person we encountered were not only friendly but went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. The manager, Eduardo, took pleasure in making sure we were happy and check in on us daily. The service was 5 star and they spoke English!!! The property: The food was great. You must try the pizza, the buffet and the fresh bread. I really enjoyed the live music during lunch/dinner. From our ocean view room you could see the whole bay. The A/C was perfect, the bed was confortable, and our housekeeper kept our room spotless and you didn't have to worry about leaving your camera or wallet out. The bus to town was only $1 and took 10 minutes, but there are cabs right in front. When you pick a hotel, you read the reviews, look at pictures and pray. If you are traveling on a budget but don't want to sacrafice quality, I recommend you give this hotel a try. We were very happy with our choice!

Room Tip: We stay in room 311. They also had mini-suites wtih a fridge and mircowave.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear DiamondDuoTravel:
Thank you very much for sharing this kind review with us. All of us at oceano palace thank you very much for your comments about our property and the good time you had during your week with us. There is nothing more important for us than our beloved guests, this is part of our culture, and we are always striving to make sure our guests are happy and go back home with a good experience. I am sharing this review with all our service staff in our briefings, they will be very happy to have notice from you. Thanks again and we will be very glad to have the honor having you as a guest in the near future.

Looking forward to see you soon, cordially

Rooms manager

Been to Oceano Palace? Share your experiences!