“Not bad for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Los Angeles, California
“Not bad for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I was there Labor day weekend, first time in Mazatlan and it's hot and humid!! One night it rain hard and the streets were flooded. The location of the hotel stopped any car from driving trough so me an mi lady had to walk in 2 feet of water for a couple of miles. Ok on to the hotel, it's a bit North of most major attractions. Has a nice pool, and a nice beach with it's own palapas.. The gym was also nice. I didn't try the restaurant so no comments there. There's a local authentic Mexican restaurant across the street and had breakfast there for like $2 dollars. there is also a money exchange company which made it convenient. The room was a bit musty but I'm guessing you can't help it when the weather is humid as it was.. The beds were a little stiff, but clean overall. I opted for a ocean view room and it was great.. You have two islands in plain view.. Only thing that did bug me was that I could not charge my laptop because the walls only have a 2 prong outlet and not a grounded 3 prong like here in the U.S.
I did ask for an adapter and they told me they were out. Overall it was a good for the price.. Not too fancy and a step above motel 6.. If there is noisy people in the hallways, they can easily be heard in the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
El Fuerte, Sin.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

It is on the beach, the rooms are very basic, a little on the small side, but clean and have TV, phone and air conditioning. The building itself is clean as well and has a pretty nice restaurant, food is delicious. It has a first class gym! The staff are all extremely helpful and friendly. The value, in my optinion, is phenomenal.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

Since the first day the staff treated my guests and I very very poorly. The rooms weren't ready, my card key wouldn't open my room door, a/c in one of my other rooms didn't work, guests have to wear a bracelet to be identified(bad move in Mexico, because everybody knows you are staying at a hotel, including the bad guys). Pool side bar was never opened. Inside bar closes at 10 pm (no fun). Very uptight atmosphere, not worth the money, one can find much better service and a more relaxed enviroment for equal or less money. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE, YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED

• Stayed June 2012
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear ibyaed:

I would like to thank you for share your experience with us, our goal is to satisfy to all our guests and make their stay enjoyable, in this case we fail, and on behalf of all our staff and myself please accept our sincerely apologies, the hotel guest feedback is very important for us, that´s the only way to know where we are located and to improve our operations plan to make better efforts with our future guests; the use of the bracelets is for your own safe and have the hotel installations exclusive for our guests, Mazatlan is very safe for everybody. I share this comment with the head departments and we agree to improve the service in this matter.
We will be glad to have you with us in the near future and give us the opportunity to offer you the warm service that characterizes Oceano Palace Hotel, I would like to take care of you personally you can feel free to contact me any time.
Looking forward to see you soon

Rooms Manager
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Great overall stay and experience. The staff was friendly and very helpful and the hotel is located right on the beach!They have a recreation desk and they set us up for a zip line tour which was tons of fun. For 50 dollars a night you would be hard pressed to find a better deal for the location alone. The hotel itself was very nice, recently updated, our room was a nice size and was clean. The beds are a fairly firm. The hallways echo because the floors are marble tile so noise does carry, I was never awakened but there is a noticeable echo. The bathrooms are a bit small but ours had good water pressure and hot water. There was also a/c in our room which helped because it was rather warm when we were there and were not facing the ocean. We ate breakfast(buffet) at the restaurant, there was a nice selection of fresh fruit, fresh juice, a omelet station, and a vast selection of other items. Since the beach is just feet away its great to get beer and apps delivered while you soak up the sun. They have a great happy hour! I will most definitely stay here again and recommend you give it a try as well.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were extremely happy with the hotel staff, the property, and the room. From the front desk, to the waiters, and the housekeepers--each person we encountered were not only friendly but went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. The manager, Eduardo, took pleasure in making sure we were happy and check in on us daily. The service was 5 star and they spoke English!!! The property: The food was great. You must try the pizza, the buffet and the fresh bread. I really enjoyed the live music during lunch/dinner. From our ocean view room you could see the whole bay. The A/C was perfect, the bed was confortable, and our housekeeper kept our room spotless and you didn't have to worry about leaving your camera or wallet out. The bus to town was only $1 and took 10 minutes, but there are cabs right in front. When you pick a hotel, you read the reviews, look at pictures and pray. If you are traveling on a budget but don't want to sacrafice quality, I recommend you give this hotel a try. We were very happy with our choice!

Room Tip: We stay in room 311. They also had mini-suites wtih a fridge and mircowave.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear DiamondDuoTravel:
Thank you very much for sharing this kind review with us. All of us at oceano palace thank you very much for your comments about our property and the good time you had during your week with us. There is nothing more important for us than our beloved guests, this is part of our culture, and we are always striving to make sure our guests are happy and go back home with a good experience. I am sharing this review with all our service staff in our briefings, they will be very happy to have notice from you. Thanks again and we will be very glad to have the honor having you as a guest in the near future.

Looking forward to see you soon, cordially

Rooms manager
ChulaVista, Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Everything was clean and neat. Location, price had everything we like do, the staff was super friendly and very competent in English, and I loved the pool. On site restaurant very convenient, food and drink service at poolside was very nice.The price was very affordable since we were in the off season. Weather was perfect.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
California Hot Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

The A/C smelled awful! It stunk up my clothes & hair. The sheets on the beds had stains & pubic hair!!!! They never gave us a DND sign the housekeepers walked in on us 2x a day before 9 am. I had to disinfect our room with clorox wipes & purchase new clean sheets. When we asked for anything they treated us like pests & waived us away. But hounded & stalked us to sell us on time shares every morning as we walked out the hotel. They would follow us on our way out to insist we eat @ the hotel daily. It was a dissapointing experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear allhailevie:
Thank you for providing us with feedback on your stay with us. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for these issues, and let you know that our front desk department and our manager on duty are always available to help rectify any issue that may arise during your stay, you could feel free to contact us and share this experience with us to make you stay enjoyable. In order to keep follow up to this case I would like to get in touch with you personally to have more information, I don´t see in our history reports that any guest reported this at the front desk or housekeeping, please contact me at ejimenez@oceanopalace.com to handle personally and solve this problems from the root. Looking forward to see you soon.

Cordially

Rooms Manager

Been to Oceano Palace? Share your experiences!