“Clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
vancouver
“Clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Just returned from a pleasant stay in Mazatlan.Lucky for me the weather was fabulous! The hotel property itself is situated in the dorada zone, close to amenities such as restaurants and convenience stores.
As for the hotel it is fair value for the price, it is not a 5 star resort but rather a clean and basic hotel. The rooms were clean, though the bathtub has seen better days and you really can't have bath but the water was hot. The rooms are cleaned daily and outfitted with a TV. The wifi is not available in the rooms but you can log on in the lobby and I was able to use on the beach. I ate several times in the restaurant and the food was OK. If you are looking for a rocking good time this is not the place for you, however if you want a relaxing vacation then this property will suit. The beach front was fine, and you never had to "fight" for a spot on the beach. There were plenty of palapas available, though the service on the beach was sporatic, which was fine you only had to walk to the bar to get what you wanted. Even though the hotel has a policy of not bringing your own beverages and food to the beach most people did and it didn't seem to be a problem.
The breakfast buffet featured an omelet table and mexican specialties. Mostly though I ate offsite. There are many restaurants in the area and across the street is a very good and reasonably priced mexican cantina called "Juanitas". It is frequented by Canadians and Americans who seem to be semi-retired. There are also a number of beachside restaurants in the area and one directly next to the hotel features a concert weekly by a country singer from alberta. Not being a fan of the genre I didn't attend but it appeared to be a sold out event.
I did go on one tour of mazatlan city, which was arranged by Tony who is the resident tour operator on site. He was most helpful and accommodating. If you needed anything by way of tours etc he was your man! He was on site everyday and arranging excursions was a simple exercise.
The views from the room on the ocean side are spectacular. Spend the extra couple of dollars to get a room on this side as you get a wonderful view of the sunsets.
All in all it was good value for the money.

Room Tip: get a room that faces the ocean
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Hermosillo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We were there for Christmas last year 2011. We found a great deal on the internet. We didn´t stay around the resort much as we went exploring. But the staff was very helpful. The room had a good view of the pool and ocean. We rented a motor bike for a few days from a place in the golden zone and rode out to the small towns in the jungle and dessert. Definitely we will go back.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Battleford SK Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Just spent 4 weeks at Oceano Palace and had a great time. The rooms were clean and comfy. Had great maid service every day with clean towels and sheets each day. Our patio door opened on to a super ocean view. The staff were all very friendly and helpful especially the front desk and bellboys. LOcation of hotel was great for shopping, dining and bus service. We would certainly go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: ocean view would be my choice
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

This was our second stay and it was a repeat of the first. We checked in, lady was very polite, when to the room and it had not been cleaned. When back down, she gave us another room. The AC sounded like a jet taking off. The room did not smell very good did not look clean. My wife found hiar balls on the floor. This is the same problem as last year. We will take it off of the places to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Merritt, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Enjoyed our time there very much and the staff were both friendly and helpful.We dealt a lot with Alejandro Aquirre on the desk and he is very good at his job.He was able to help with any problems and handle things quickly.The only thing that we had a problem with was the loud music.It would have been nicer to have it turned down in the pool area.It was always off at ten so no problems sleeping!

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge.We got one same day we asked for it.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We stayed at the Oceano Palace through SellOffVacations.com in January of this year. The hotel had us in a double room with a kitchen. Here are the good parts of staying at the Oceano Palace, they were very friendly and checking in to the room was easy with no issues. They were happy to upgrade our room to an Ocean view and it was great going to sleep at night with the sounds of the waves. The pool was good as well, which was excellent as you really couldn't swim in the Ocean.

The not so good parts --- the rooms lacked for a single solitary couch which made sitting around a bit of a challenge. The beds were possibly the most uncomfortable beds that I have ever attempted to sleep on, so I would recommend bringing your own pillows/foamy. The food at the hotel was terrible, my advice would be to go down the beach to Tony's, Loco-loco or Chili Pepper's, all of them make a much better breakfast cheaper. On Saturday nights the club next door blasts out dance music from midnight to 2-3am so you may want to invest in some earphones as well (although it won't help with the vibrations), or simply plan to be up all night long. The wifi in the hotel in the rooms sucked huge, there was literally one place that you could stand to get any reception at all. Oh and if you are planning on cooking in your room, make sure you leave plenty of time, because the units take forever to heat up.

There is also a tour guy named Tony, he can be quite pushy but no more so than most of the local vendors who in all fairness are desperate for business.

In short for the cost it was an OK experience but I don't think we would go again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stay Jan 19-26, 2012

First off, a little about us. I’m 34 years old and I traveled with my father, who is 68. This was my father’s 3rd visit to Mazatlan and my first visit; however this was my 15th visit to Mexico in the last 14 yrs. In the past we have stayed at all different types of resorts, from 5-star all inclusive resorts to small family owned hotels.

When it comes to picking the ideal spot for us we always consider three things: price, location of the resort, and what the resort has to offer.

Based upon the overall positive reviews, along with the package price, we decided to stay at the Oceano Palace. Prior to leaving on the trip, I was most impressed with how the management took the time to personally respond to most of the reviews. Upon arrival at Oceano Palace, the management greeted us daily and helped us with all of our needs; they really went the extra mile to make sure we were looked after. I can’t say enough about how well the staff treated us.

Check in-
No problems with check in. It was prompt and professional and the fellow that helped us with our luggage was able to answer any, and all, questions we had.

The Room-
We had a West corner room on the 4th floor with an ocean view (highly recommend). It had a well equipped kitchen area and a view from the balcony that was beyond my expectations. The room itself had two single beds with firm mattresses (which were fine for us), and was very spacious. The kitchen had a microwave, fridge, toaster, coffee maker, blender, pots, pans and utensils. A nice treat if you want to grab a few groceries from the supermarket. The washroom area had plenty of space where the sink was located, and a separate area for the toilet and shower. The room was a bit dated but given the fantastic view from our balcony, along with the space and all the other little extras the room had, I really couldn’t complain. These rooms also have an access door to an adjoining room with two double beds and a bathroom. I doubt you will be disappointed!

Hotel Amenities-
The pool was well sized and looked like it had been refinished within the last 5 years. My only wish would have been a hot tub; however they did have a warmer circular pool. There were plenty of chairs by the pool and on the beach. The lobby of the hotel appeared to be remodelled not that long ago and off of the lobby was a sports bar area which had nice size TVs. The workout room was well equipped with newer equipment. I was surprised by how many different machines they had. For the size of this hotel, it was one of the best workout areas in a hotel I have seen in Mexico. Elevators were new, as well.

Food-
We only ate at the hotel a few times, however when we did the buffet was decent and the price worked for us. Service was great; if you needed a drink or anything the staff was there to accommodate.

Location-
For us, this is huge selling feature when picking a hotel. We found the location to be excellent. It wasn’t far to get to the Golden Zone area or to the older downtown area of Mazatlan. You can hop on the bus for 6 pesos and in 10 minutes you could be in the Golden Zone area. To get to the old area of Mazatlan, where the market and cathedral are, another bus would take you there for 9 pesos. I highly recommend checking it out. It is very cheap to get around with many little shops and restaurants all close by. We had no worries about safety what so ever. If you want trouble, you can find it just like in your home town.

Beach-
Great location and the beach had a beautiful view of the 3 islands. We were able to take nice long walks up and down the beach. No life guards were present when we were there, but people in the water looked extremely safe and had no problems. Weather conditions and time of year, obviously dictate the ocean safety.

Overall Hotel Impression.
The hotel does need some improvements on the exterior and in other areas, but overall it was fine for us, and it was worth every penny. We wanted a place that is clean and comfortable, and in a location that was easily accessible to all areas, and for us the Oceano Palace surpassed. This is rated a 3 star hotel; and I think it is a fair assessment. We spoke with many of the guests during our stay and we didn’t hear of any negative complaints from them. Based upon our experience we would not hesitate to stay here in the future.

Tips and recommendations. (Highly recommended).
If you are arriving by a bus shuttle, make sure your luggage is on that bus after every stop before your hotel. Get out of the bus and check! They accidentally off loaded my luggage at the Riu, and fortunately I was watching them offload luggage and caught this mistake. Fun Bus City Tour (orange bus) is a great way to see Mazatlan. This is a new tour that has only been around for 3 weeks. The tour is about 3.5 hours long and I highly recommend it. The lobby at the resort has internet, however the wifi is not the greatest. Only phone cards bought in Mexico, will work in Mexico, period! You can buy phone cards at the Oxxo. . If you are Canadian, I highly recommend bringing Canadian currency. There is a place right across from the hotel that was offering the same exchange rate as for US currency. If I had known this ahead of time, I could have eliminated paying the bank fees when I converted to US funds before I left.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review .I hope you found in helpful and if you need any additional information please feel free to message me.

Room Tip: Ocean View Corner Suite
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Eduardo J, Manager at Oceano Palace, responded to this review, February 24, 2012
Dear HowieEdmonton:

First of all I would like to apologize for being delay answering your value comment; we appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review, we are very happy that we accomplish your expectative, and it´s wonderful to hear that you had such and enjoyable stay with us. we have shared this review with the different departments in the hotel in our briefings, being so complete help us a lot to keep continue giving our best efforts to satisfy our lovely guests, front desk department, housekeeping, restaurant and maintenance staff appreciate these comments. Thank you for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards

Eduardo Jimenez
Rooms manager.

Been to Oceano Palace? Share your experiences!