“Cool little hotel with a personality” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel la Siesta
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd Olas Altas 11 Sur, Mazatlan 82000, Mexico   |
Ranked #23 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Minnesota
“Cool little hotel with a personality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed at La Siesta for a week last year. This was the second time we've stayed there. We stayed there the same time the year before. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms were clean and functional. Both times we stayed in an ocean view room overlooking the Malecon(can be noisy from cars and music). This is NOT some fancy all-inclusive resort like up in the hotel zone so travelers looking to be pampered need not apply. This is an older hotel with a few flaws here and there but overall our experiences there were great. I even told my parents about it and they flew down a month after we were there and they enjoyed their stay just as we had .

Being located right near the heart of the historic zone right on the Malecon and Playa Olas Altas is the main reason we chose this hotel. The hotel itself has got a lot of character. Some of the things that reviewers are complaining about is what I thought was cool about the place. From the crooked floors around the rooms to the trees shedding leaves onto the courtyard, it's all part of the great experience we had there. I highly recommend this hotel to any budget travelers who want to be near some culture and enjoy strolling through the neighborhoods to experience great food, good music, and friendly people. The historic zone is what got us to love Mazatlan so much and La Siesta was part of that experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
canmore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

If you are looking for 5 star this is obviously not for you. Amazing value for the price. Third floor room facing the beach was fantastic. Huge, basic walk-in shower with new curtain. Our room had plenty of space to move around and we did not feel the least bit cramped which can happen in some older hotels. Front Desk agent Mario was very helpful with transportation tips and booking us a tour to Stone Island. Pool area looks brand new but the power unit for the whole system was very noisy. Lobby bathrooms were new and spotless. The interior court yard was quite cluttered and dark, they could use some trimming of the very large interior trees to bring in more natural light. Many reviewers seem to complain of how dark it is. All it needs is to be pruned back ALOT!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chehalis, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I'm a year late writing this (not sure why I didn't in December '09 except that the cold snap we came home to made typing impossible with gloves on), but better now than never.

First of all, if you want to stay in the lap of luxury, this isn't the place for you. The Zona Dorado north of Mazatlan has plenty of those, you'll pay dearly for it and the version of Mexico you'll be surrounded by is like the version of America you'll find at Disneyland. If you want the real thing, this is the place.

My wife and I stayed here for nine nights, and for less than $300 for the entire stay we had a corner room on the top floor with a view of the Pacific Ocean across the street from a room that was not fancy but very functional. The inside courtyard, which is a tradition among older Mexican hotels, was extremely charming. The people who work here were terrific (all spoke at least a little English) and helpful. The La Siesta is in the Olas Altas neighborhood, an older section of town that isn't frequented by high-end travelers, which was a plus for us. A decent restaurant called El Shrimp Bucket is on the ground floor (decent food, a little pricey for this part of town), but a few blocks to the east is a neat spot called the Plaza Machado, a collection of businesses and cafes in older buildings surrounding a square with benches and a bandstand we spent many mornings and evenings relaxing and people-watching. Nobody is in a hurry and the atmosphere is great. Not to be missed.

I'm going long so I'll wrap it up here, but if you are looking to stay in an authentic Mexican hotel with great views and terrific prices in a traditional setting, here you go. It's not plush and it's not perfect, but it's genuine and charming...just like Mexico and Mexicans themselves.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed at La Siesta the first week of January, choosing the hotel because it was outside the Golden Zone and its mega resorts. We based our choice on other tripadvisor reviews which turned out to be quite accurate. The exterior upgrade must have just been finished as it looked beautiful. We chose the ocean view and were happy to have shelled out the few (very few) extra bucks.
I cannot emphasize enough how simple and basic the accommodations were, but the place was well kept with two double beds and a nice balcony to watch the sunsets from and a perfect beach view. The staff were very friendly and helpful in every way. El Shrimp Bucket downstairs had great food. We loved the beer battered shrimp, and especially the great breakfasts. After the first day, the people there remembered us and and would greet us warmly every time we walked in.
The hotel is also within easy walking distance to many great restaurants, and a nice coffee shop just down the street that caters to Americans. the Cathedral and beautiful architecture of Old Mazatlan. If you want luxury, stay in the Golden zone. If you want to avoid the overpriced and overcrowded Golden Zone and the timeshare sellers who populate it, stay here. If you're curious about the Golden Zone, which also has some great restaurants and bars, you can always hire a pulmonia to take you there for around $5. There was one driving by looking for passengers every few minutes. We found the drivers would usually ask for 100 pesos for the ride, but would settle for 40 or 50 pesos with very little or no negotiation. We actually walked down the malecon from La Siesta to the Golden Zone which is maybe 5 or 6 miles, had dinner and hired a pulmonia for the ride back. We would not have wanted to walk all the way back after dark. It' was a very nice way to spend the day. The guys who dive off the cliffs are just a block or two from La Siesta as well, but are really no big deal to see.
If you're not into luxury, I would highly recommend La Siesta.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

My wife and I really enjoyed staying in this area, La Siesta was no 5-star, but it was definitely a great value. It is so quiet and laid-back in this area of Mazatlan. Room was fairly small on the 2nd floor with a small balcony facing the ocean. We would sit out there every evening for sunset and people-watching. It was super-windy there the 3 days we stayed there. You have a hook to your balcony door to hold it open, be sure to use it, as I saw one swing open wildly and broke the glass, then another one I saw swing open but not break, I could walk from balcony-to- balcony to their room and hooked theirs (that may be an issue for some people, also.)
The food, in general, in Mazatlan is fantastic and cheap, too. Down here in the original part of Mazatlan is even a better buy. You will not believe the prices at La Cueva del Leon, just a short walk up the sidewalk. there also was a sushi place right next door which appeared extremely popular. Another one right nearby, I think was called La Copa de Leche was very good also. El Shrimp Bucket is right in the La Siesta, very popular. There was a bakery just turn at the federal building next door, and 2 blocks inland, in a lady's house, that was very good, and dirt-cheap.
This place is old, but once was the place to be in Mazatlan, it's very interesting in the inside court, open to the sky, with these old trees with huge root systems, and a couple of old murals painted on the inside walls. There's a small pool in the center of the side away from the street, we looked at it, but never did use it. Looked inviting, though with a small sitting area around it.
Getting out and walking through the streets in the area was also really interesting, you will run into small food stands, little shops, and a tortilleria. Homes, some nicely renovated, some under renovation, some in need of renovation.
We've been to Mazatlan 2 winters in a row, and can't wait to get back, we love this town!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

I don't have real high expectations, really I don't. When a hotel is rated a 2, I expect that it's not going to be that great. But other people's reviews made me think that this was possibly some little gem of a place that was just rated poorly. But the reviewer who said the courtyard was littered with debris was absolutely correct. I never did see the pool and was too afraid to walk up the stairs and look for it, if indeed it was on the roof. I don't know who took the photos for the ads, but they must be one heck of a photographer. The only thing I found good about the place is the price. I paid $350 for a week's stay for two. That's much better than the Golden Zone, and we didn't have too many vendors bothering us. The beach is ok, but not anything special. It is a quiet time of the year. The walk to the downtown Plaza/Mercado area is pleasantly short and there's several good restaurants in the area. The Shrimp Bucket is over-rated but the food is ok. I would NOT recommend taking a first time visitor to Mazatlan here, as I made the mistake of doing. My partner was NOT impressed! The hotel courtyard is dark and dreary to the point of being depressing and scary when you walk in. The floors are dirty and uneven to walk on, making the stairs and path to your room rather treacherous, escpecially if you are an older person. There is no elevator! Our room was kept as clean as possible considering the age of the building. The beds are as hard as steel, which is the case in most hotels in Mexico. We had sore backs for most of our stay. I mean really sore! We could hardly get out of bed most mornings. I've had that problem before, but usually bounced back sooner. We looked at a couple of hotels down the street and will consider them if we ever go back. I can give names if you email me. One plus for the La Siesta is that the desk staff and housekeepers are friendly. Oh--there's considerable noise from the street if you have an oceanview room--and the exhaust smell is quite strong. You might want to consider these two things if you're a light sleeper and have allergies.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I loved this Hotel and it probably saved my stay in Mazatlan from disaster...

Its a hotel that occupies an old building, courtyard style, which as great, because you can chill out in the court yard. Its right next to a beach and easy walking distance to the old town and other beaches.

The staff are really helpful especially the ladies in the travel agency who helped me when i got really bad food poisoning.

If you are looking to come to Mazatlan and stay in a cheap clean hotel with no frills then this is the place.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel la Siesta? Share your experiences!