“Great Value!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Houston, Texas
“Great Value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

To be honest, the hotel is not new or fancy, but we will stay there again! The room they gave us (at first) was dingy, on the back side of the hotel, and it was very uninviting. I went down to the front desk, and for an additional 120 pesos per night (about $8.00 USD) we got an ocean view balcony room. We LOVED our room, especially the view!!! The room had 2 double beds, a desk, coffee table, TV and a chest of drawers along with a nice sized closet. The bathroom - although dated - was adequate.

Room Tip: Only book the ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

La Siesta was where I stayed on my first trip to Mexico over 40 years ago and remains my favorite place to return to in the country. It retains the simple charm of old Mexico which I much prefer to the Zona Dorado. Even though my last trip there was about 15 years ago, it was like coming home again this time. In fact, when we arrived, la muy bonita Ruth in reception said "Welcome Home" even though she did not know of my numerous previous visits. She was so pleasant and helpful throughout our stay and extened true Mexican hospitality in the best fashion. We had an ocean front room on the top floor which was kept spotlessly clean by our wonderful maid, Martha. We did not really hear the noise of the street as the ocean lulled us to sleep each night. My one disappointment was that El Shrimp Bucket is no longer in the coutyard as I always felt the fun, activity and sense of community that it provided was a huge part of the charm of La Siesta. It was a destination and an institution in itself and even though El Shrimp Bucket is still good, the setting does not compare to what the coutyard had to offer. I can only hope the management will bring it back!!!!! On the positive side, the new pool is a very nice addition. The hotel's location is also a real plus as one can easily walk to the many attractions in Old Town or rent a bike for great rides on the malacon or around the neighborhood. I'm already looking forward to next year's visit. Viva Hotel La Siesta!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Stayed here from Feb.6 to Feb.12 and loved our stay. Ocean view room on the third floor overlooking the malecon with great view of the bay. Room was spotless and the deck was great. This is in old town and walking around was very nice. We were there for carnival so there was music, vendors, and action all the time. The fireworks was right out our deck and it was spectacular. The third parade went under our deck and was great. Highly recommend this hotel and the location is very good.

Room Tip: Wonderful location and good staff. Rooms are very nice and the views are incredible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oliver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed here for a week in January. I picked the hotel based on the Tripadvisor reviews. The hotel is an older property in the Olas Altas area and is very close to the centro historico. It is close to bus service, restaurants and bars. My room was on the 2nd floor facing the ocean. It was a very nice view. The checkin process was smooth, they had my reservation and were well prepared. The room was basic, but not as basic as many I have stayed in while in Mexico. The bed was pretty comfortable, the room was clean and the daily service was excellent. There was no fridge in the room so I purchased a small styrofoam container for drinks etc and replenished it with ice regularly. The view was very nice, looks out onto the beach and the malceon. The avenue is very busy and can be noisy late into the night. If you are a light sleeper, this could create a problem for you. There was a/c in the room but it was not really necessary. There is a computer for guest use in the lobby.

Although the property is old is has been pretty well kept up, the staff are hardworking and helpful and the location is excellent.

I would readily recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The street in front of the hotel can be noisy and the rooms in the "interior" do not have...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Culiacan, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I loved my stay here. It is twice the hotel of others that are triple the price. Very clean rooms, although a little outdated. I did not mind at all as i really only care about comfort and cleanliness for business trips. They were very accommodating, and i traveled with my doberman, for only $100 extra pesos a night. LOVE the location, and they upgraded me to an ocean view balocny free of charge, without me even asking! Beautiful, clean pool, Will stay again. Shrimp Bucket is also very good! It is a budget hotel, and i knew that going in, so don't expect the Ritz ;)

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Hotel La Siesta, with our two dogs. Ruth, at the front desk, is very friendly and helpful. The room was large and clean, with a balcony. It is conveniently located in Old Mazatlan, across the street from the beach. There are many restaurants, museums, etc. within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: Room 328 is technically a "patio view" (lower rate), but you can still see and hear the oc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We had a third floor, ocean view, corner room on the Monday of Thanksgiving week for $41 plus the 19 percent tax. A/c, wifi, and tv included

The room was large and the balconies useful. The linen was clean and the beds comfortable. Like a couple of previous reviewers, I found the pillows inadequate (I had the same issue with the Sydney Hilton at 7x the price!) and the bathrooms look like they were built in the 60's (they WERE!). So what?

The on premesis convenience store is reasonably stocked and the legendary Shrimp Bucket restaurant serves up good food.

The lack of a secure parking garage was covered by a night watchman who kept a clise eye on my car parked directly in front of the hotel.

Viditors looking for value will love this. Those looking for a bright and shiny tourist hotel will be happier elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Hotel la Siesta? Share your experiences!