“Poor..” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Golfing
More attraction details
Owner description: 18-hole championship golf course built in 1996, and designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr. The course layout is adjacent to the ocean where six of the holes and fairways are situated right off the beach. Tropical landscaping, clusters of palm trees lining the fairways, strategically placed bunkers, impeccably manicured greens and spectacular views. Estrella Del Mar hosted the 2011 Mexican PGA Championship for the first time May 5-8, just one of only two events held in Mexico on the Canadian Tour's 2011 schedule.
Toronto, Ontario
“Poor..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Expensive, I paid 90 bucks for my own cart and round and I ended up sharing it with someone else..The grounds are average, a lot of people living around the golf course (retired americans)..six holes face the ocean.. (windy)..prepare to loose balls in tall grass ?? weird type of grass that swallows your ball..(LOL)

Visited January 2013
NeilCarben, Internet Marketing Assistant at Estrella Del Mar Golf Course, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Micojoia,

I want to thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Estrella del Mar, and I’m sorry you didn’t have a more enjoyable experience. I have passed on your comments to Kim Anders, Director of Golf for Estrella Del Mar and he has responded as follows:

"Thank you for taking the time to give us your views. It appears to me you were staying at one of the several hotels in Mazatlan we work with which enabled you to play at a reduced rate of $75 US plus $15 for the round trip shuttle service. As with most golf courses, including the many I have played in Canada, the cost of golf and the golf car is on the basis that the golf car is shared unless you have an odd number of people in your group.

Unfortunately you played right after we had been through a 10 day stretch of unusual cold, windy, cloudy weather which caused our warm weather Bermuda Grass to stop growing, and in fact it started going dormant, our tropical plants lost their flowers, and in general Mother Nature did not allow us to make our best presentation. Hopefully your next trip will be during more “normal” weather conditions and the grounds will be more up to both of our standards.

I’m glad you noticed our 6 holes playing towards the ocean and prevailing wind – a real challenge for those not accustomed to playing a seaside course like we have with parts . We also have 6 holes right on the ocean – a feature that has brought many accolades from international golf writers over the years.

I notice you are from Canada and thought you might be interested to know that yes we do have many retired Americans who own property at Estrella del Mar, but our Canadian ownership holds a narrow majority over the Americans at this point. This balance makes for some great Canada vs US golf matches, bar-b-que cook offs, and the weekly remote controlled car and boat races. We are a competitive international community.

As for some of the long grass around the lakes – yes, it is a real ball eater. We are currently working towards certification with Audubon International as a Certified Cooperative Sanctuary, and it is at their recommendation that these areas around the lakes and water features here are allowed to grow longer in order to encourage more wildlife to the area as part of the program. It is great for the wildlife but very tough on the scorecard.

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Mazatlan and went home tan, rested, and full of fresh seafood! Please let me know the next time you are coming to our resort – I’ll buy you your first “local beverage” on the patio while we watch the dolphins cruise by!"

Kim Anders
Director of Golf
Estrella Del Mar

Chestermere, Alberta
“Beautiful golf course.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I went to Mazatlan back in Febuary with two golfing buddies and my family. We stayed at the El Cid Marina beach resort and it came with free golf. However, after a few days at the El Cid golf course, we got bored and decided to play at Estrella Del Mar. We glad that we played Estrella Del Mar. The course was beautiful with 6 holes along the Ocean. I like the course so much that I have 8 more friends joinning for a trip back to Mazatlan in another two weeks. We have tee times booked for Sunday Nov 25, and Tuesday Nov 27. Can't wait to play at Estrella Del Mar again.

Visited February 2012
Sherwood Park, Canada
45 attraction reviews
“Fantastic course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Well maintained on the ocean about a 40 minute drive from Mazatlan. Very well groomed and challenging. No need to take a caddie. You can buy all the golf balls you want from boys along the fence on the back nine. Afternoon winds present an issue with club selection.

Visited February 2012
Mill Creek, Washington
16 attraction reviews
“Best golf in Mazatlan, good place to stay or live”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is gated community with an excellent 18 hole Robert Trent Jones Golf Course. The holes along the course are so beautiful, that it is double joy to play. Accommodations and condos are on site. Great stay!

Visited March 2012
AZ
3 attraction reviews
“Golfing by the ocean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My son in law and I spent a week golfing and went down to Estrella Del mar Golf Course for one day. Very nice course and spread out. In
August there is not many golfers and we had it to ourselves. great fairways and fantastic scenery. While golfing there I met a gentleman named Kim that was golfing with his buddies and he just so happened to be part of the organization. He offered a free golf certificate for my mens club end of the year banquet as a prize. Great people and very nice course. Thank you.

Visited August 2012