“People can make your trip” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #1 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
PA
“People can make your trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

Fidel and Miguel and the other servers at the La Gruta Pool Bar couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. Our room had a beautiful view and everyone there seemed truly to enjoy their jobs. What a pleasure. The pools, grounds, and beach were clean and comfortable. Food was ok, but not great. There is a spa and fitness room, but they are not on site. Free shuttles are offered to the other El Cid resorts in the area. The drivers are helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
Dear TekPa

I guess there is little else to say but: "thank you". You sum up in a few words how most of our guests feel after a stay at our hotel and it is great to see that you have taken the time to place that comment on Tripadvisor. We look forward to hopefully meeting you again in the future.

All the best.

823 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Lincoln City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

This was our first trip to Mazatlan and I am glad we started at the El Cid Marina. The rooms were a bit dated, but bright and clean and good sized, however the beds were hard and uncomfortable. The staff was wonderful, kind and friendly but there was a bit of a language barrier at the front desk which surprised me. The median age at this resort was over 50 for the guests which was fine. A few families were there however most guests were time-share veterans and repeat customers. The atmosphere was cozy and peaceful. There was no traffic noise, the rooms were all marina, pool or ocean view. The food was very good in the restaurant - just OK at the pool venues and the bar. The pool bar & grills opened later - around 11 or 12 noon so don't expect food or drink outside of the restaurant before then. The Deer Island Tour is a must-see, the City Tour isn't all that great - very rushed. AVOID THE TIMESHARE PRESENTATION - very pushy to the point of obnoxious and the "free stuff" isn't worth it. All in all a nice place to stay - we would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2010
Dear OregonCoastGirl50

Thank you for the kind words about our team. We are extremely proud of the service culture we have been able to create. The dedication and commitment of the team make it easy!

We spend many hours reviewing all of our guests’ comments and concerns and I promise that our management team has reviewed your comments and action plans have been created so that we may make improvements on the deficiencies that you have experienced.

Again thank you for your time and I hope that we may have the opportunity to perfect your next stay with us.

Thank you for giving us a shot and glad to know you will be back again. We look forward to your future visits!

jemorris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

We loved the view from our balcony of the ocean, marina and pool area. The staff were excellent in accomdating us with whatever we wanted. We enjoyed the specialty restaurants and the buffets had more than anyone could possibly want. The maid service was superb and the servie bar service as well. We spent alot of evenings in the lounge area and were treated very well especially by one waitress, who took care of us whether we were sitting inside or outside. My only brief complaint was that the pool wasn't heated and we found the ocean temperature warmer than the pool. Although the rooms were nice and comfortable, noise could be heard from the hallways outside and also from the room next door. This was only a real problem our second night when a very loud group decided to stay up til 5am in the morning. Besides that I would highly recommend the El Cid to others.

Dear jemorris

Wow! Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in such detail.

I am so glad to hear about your stay and am glad that is was memorable! Thank you for the kind words about our team. I love to hear great feedback like this. I'm happy to hear specifically about the service you enjoyed. Our goal is to provide a comfortable, stylish and guest focused experience without pretense. I'm glad you experienced this.

Sorry to hear about the pool temperature. I will reach out to you directly to get more specific feedback so we can improve.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mazatlan in the future!

Northwest Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

We visited Mazatlan for the first time with a group of 6 to celebrate our 30th Birthdays! We were there Jan. 23-30th. We had seasoned travelers in our group, as well as those who had never traveled outside the US. I greatly appreciated the shuttle pickup at the airport as we could all stay together. We found this resort through our timeshare with Wyndham Vacation Resorts, and although we have seldom been disappointed in places we have visited, we didn't know what to expect when traveling to Mexico. We were pleasantly surprised, to say the least. I am a clean freak, and even I was impressed with how clean our rooms, the grounds, and the whole resort were kept! We stayed in room 510 (3 bedrooms/3 baths/ 4 balconies!) and it was amazing! We had a panoramic wraparound view of the ocean, beach, pool, and marina! Our daily maidservice was much appreciated! The pool staff quickly coined my husband as 'The Godfather' or 'Dias Padre' and he loved it. Miguel and Fidel were two of our favorites at the waterfall pool, but everyone made us laugh and helped make our stay memorable. Our drinks were never empty and we were kept laughing and entertained. We also enjoyed water aerobics with Jesus at the pool with the swim up bar. We did the all inclusive program, and were not disappointed! The food at the Italian restaurant is awesome, and we went back a second night! We all agreed the it was a great value and avoided all the hassle of having to split the bill every meal! We also appreciated the free shuttle service that travels between all 3 El Cid resorts in Mazatlan. It was a wondeful trip and we look forward to returning again soon! Miguel and Fidel, save our spot at the pool!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2010
Dear sarahg1201

Thank you so much for your positive reviews concerning our hotel and restaurants. It is great to here that we are providing the service our guests are looking for in a hotel.
Your review captures very well many of the aspects of our hotel we are very proud of: the beauty of our hotel, how we treat each guest as special, our great rooms and our cleanliness.

We sincerely appreciate you referring to your vacation as "awesome", and for your hearty recommendation.

And as you comment that you would stay here again, we hope to see you soon!

alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

We traveled to Mazatlan for the first time this winter. We were there from the 28Th of Dec. though the 9Th of January When we we doing our research we found this hotel through our timeshare Wyndham. Although we have never been disappointed in the other places we have stayed , we weren't sure what we would find in Mexico. Sometimes the pictures don't always represent the truth. I met our son and his family at the airport in Mazatlan and we went together to the hotel on the shuttle. My husband had brought his wrong passport so he was not traveling with us, but right away they assured us they would come back the next day and pick him up as well as our daughter and her family the following Monday. That in itself took off a lot of pressure and allowed us to enjoy the ride to where we would be staying. I have to say that from the time we got to El Cid Marina we were in love with the area. We all looked at each other and said" no more Hawaii for us!!" We enjoyed every min and never found ourselves wondering what to do next. We were amazed at the cleanliness of our rooms and the up keep of the grounds of El Cid. From early morning hours to the time we would return to our rooms in the evening many employees were still hard at work. I was surprised to read that in one review someone had mentioned that they were missing small items from their rooms. We never had this problem and in fact quite the opposite. I had to return to our room one day while Lupita was cleaning and immediately took me into our sons room and showed me that she had found quite a bit of money that had fallen between the couch cushions. We would not have missed this money thinking we had just miscalculated somewhere but we were grateful for her honesty and all the work that she did to make sure everyday our rooms were perfect. We loved the pools but found our favorite was with Fidel,Octavo, and Miguel.They would greet us with smiles and when they saw us would often have our drinks ready and bring them right away.They were great and we found ourselves looking forward to seeing them everyday. They would laugh at our Spanish and then try to help us pronounce the words correctly. Many times they would just laugh and shake their heads... That leads me to the restaurant upstairs.. Javier, We can't say enough about you and the service that we received. We truly felt like we were special and when we thought it could never get any better you would always surprise us with more. You became a good friend in a short amount of time and when we get together and reminisce about our trip we always talk about how you made it the best trip that we could have ever hoped for.. the food was excellent and Daniel and Jesus you never ceased to amaze us with your service. Our many thanks to you also. We took the trip around the city late in our stay and would encourage others to do it earlier. There is so much to see and it helps to plan out your vacation. We loved going downtown in the open taxis. Here in Alaska we don't get that. We always felt safe and enjoyed mingling with the people who live there. It was a wonderful trip and one that we look forward to repeating someday. We also had the timeshare experience that everyone talks about, they do get annoying but also we realized this is how many make their living. As well as the sellers on the beach. It is all an experience that we loved and our many thanks to El Cid and staff and the locals who left us with a feeling of love for all they do and for the many sacrifices that they make just to live day to day.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Dear akrenebart

Many thanks for your exceptionally kind comments. It was great to read that your party enjoyed your stay and highly recommend the hotel. I was really enthused by your feedback and have passed it onto my team.

As you may be aware from my previous responses, I personally review all Trip Advisor reviews as they provide a fantastic amount of valuable feedback based on our guests views and opinions. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Thank you for your custom!

Best regards,

Regina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

Words simply can't describe the Vacation. We booked our tour through WestJet Vacations. They exceded our expectations. The hotel was even better. The service and staff were second to none. We were a group of 8. Sometimes that is a hard number to keep happy, but not one complaint. We were having so much fun that we were soon known as the "Cookaratcha Gang" by some of the staff (It was great -you had to be there)
I read a previous complaint about the food, but I have to say thta person couldn't have been staying at any of the El Cid's Food was great. I wish I could remember all the names of all the great staff, but I hope Rene, Jesus, Niomi (the best omlet maker) will pass along our thanks.
I liked it so much I booked to return in March - See you all again real soon

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Dear ReginaSask_traveler

Thank you very much for your kind review and your generous comments about our Hotel. These are greatly appreciated and a motivation to our Team. I feel blessed with great staff that goes the extra mile and I am delighted that they were able to make your stay a special one. I appreciate the recognition of Rene, Jesus and Niomi, we are happy they are part of our team and great example to the team they work with. We do strive to create individualized service for our guests to ensure that they enjoy a more intimate experience. I am happy to read we succeeded.

The best and look forward to welcoming you back here soon.

Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

If I were to stay at this hotel again I would not do the All Inclusive. The food was very poor. You could do better with taking the difference in money and going outside the hotel to eat. They do not even supply coffee in your room for morning. I find this to be very poor service. Even the cheapest of hotels supply coffee.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2010
Dear Mexicoger

Thank you for choosing El Cid Marina Beach Hotel and for taking the time to write your review. We value your constructive criticisms as this will help us to improve our services.

Please note: there are 6 restaurants available for the All Inclusive. Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Argentenian, International and the Buffet. Hopefully you were able to try all of them.

We assure you that we have addressed all your concerns with the food & beverage manager and are taking the necessary steps to fulfill all our guests’ expectations.

Please be assured that we are continuing to look for opportunities to improve our product and appreciate the fact when our guests are able to pinpoint specific areas we can improve upon.

We sincerely hope that you give us another chance to host you on your next trip to Mazatlan.

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!