“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Maryland
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

My husband, our two friends, and I just returned from a 2 week stay at the Marina El Cid. Having been warned about the food at the restaurent and thus chosing to eat at the many wonderful places throughout Mazatlan, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel was nice, the rooms big, and the pools wonderful. The highlight of the stay was the staff of the hotel,- everyone was extremely friendly and always helpful. We often got tips about restaurants from the bellhops and the shuttle driver, and they all paid off. The waiters at the pool were always present, yet not pushy. The timeshare people were just about the same as at all the other places in Mazatlan (it is true, EVERYONE there seems to work for one resort or the other, sometimes, more than one).

We found Mazatlan to be a safe and friendly city. It was easy to get around by either the taxis or bus. The hotel shuttle gets you into proximity of the Golden Zone, and we often chose to just walk the distance from the El Cid Catillia or Moro to whereever we wanted to go to get a chance to walk off the wonderful, tasty food and drinks we consumed!

It was a bit strange to see that the Hotel bar (both at the Marina and at other hotels) closed at 11pm in a resort town, but for night owls there are clubs in Mazatlan to enjoy.

I would definitly recommend the El Cid Marina- it is a perfect place especially for kids. I would not hesitate to return one day with my children (as they fell in love with the pictures of the Iguanas around the pool). The side trips we took were all interesting- we got them all for free by attending timeshare presentations on our "rest-days." We also went deep sea fishing with the El Cid based Aries Fleet, which was quite a treat. Overall, a beautiful, relaxing vacation!

• Liked — pool/ friendlyness of staff
  • Disliked — the lobby needs fans!
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid the restaurant on site- plenty good food in town
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

Just returned from the El Cid Marina on Friday. Really hated to leave. We started at the El Cid Castilla but our first night there was sleepless due to people running up and down the hall and the AC units for the hotel right outside our room on the 7th floor roaring all night long. My husband complained to the Apple rep the next morning and right away he went to see what he could do for us. We could either move down the hall or to the Marina where there were supposedly less people and noise. We decided to move. There were no air conditioned restaurants at the Castilla without 24 hour reservations so there was no relief from the heat while you ate. Make note--July is not the best month to travel to Mexico. We moved into our 1 bedroom condo a few feet away from the 2nd pool. It was wonderful. Lots of room, 2 TVs, full kitchen, ceiling fans, etc. We were elated! The staff there were all so nice and friendly. We ate shrimp and steak at the pool bar restauarant a couple of times and in the AC marina restaurant for meals at the buffet and off the menu. I highly recommend the surf & turf. Yum. (the shrimp are HUGE) Their buffets had specials and there was always someone fixing omelets and eggs however you wanted them for breakfast. I brought home a little more weight unfortunately than I took. I also ate Nachos and their homemade salsa every day. Yummy! We drank mixed drinks most of the time. We tipped the bartender and waiter at the beginning of the day and we had a new drink in our hands as soon as the other was empty. Even in all the heat, they were all very kind.
Lots of igauanas at the pool bar area. Not what you see around the pool here in Indiana. Very interesting. We went on the city tour and the Copala tour. City tour was ok after they stopped at the jewelry store and little shop they represented. It was pretty cool as the sun set. Also saw cliff divers who then wanted a tip. I'm guessing most people out there live on tips. The other tour took over 6 hours and it was way too long. Over an hour to get there and back in a small van filled with hot, sweaty people. The little restaurant we ate at was very good but I would rather have stayed back at the Marina and sat poolside. It was humbling though to see how some people have to live. Some of the women have to wash their clothes in the river and then hang them to dry. Guess I won't complain the next time I have to go to the laundromat when my washer breaks. The children were following us everywhere to get us to buy some things they made or just asking for pesos. This was far from the city remember.
The tours were free for us as we sat thru a time share spiel. One couple we met went about everyday and sometimes were paid in cash over $200. After we did the one, that was enough for us as we already have time share weeks. I am not a fan of all inclusive. My husband bought this trip a couple of years ago and it was go or lose the down payment, so we went. I like to try new places when we eat. Really have no complaints about the food. Plenty of it. Also if you are all inclusive, don't drink the water supplied in the room as they will charge you for it. Get a bottle from the restaurant or bar for free instead. We also bought a gallon jug for about $1.00 at the little grocery there. My husband wasn't thrilled about signing for everything we ate or drank even though it was free but that was about the only thing he complained about. Beds were great and room was kept cool. Was sad to go.
When we checked out of both hotels, they had charged us for some water and some room service coffee that we didn't drink so they graciously took it off our bill. Had to pay 60 pesos for Captain Morgan drink my husband had. Didn't realize it wasn't on the all inclusive shelf. Oh, well.
We did take an open air taxi one night to go down the street for dinner. That was pretty fun. Always felt safe. There seemed to be security everywhere.
We met several couples from diff. states. Such fun to see how other parts of the states live. We were even invited to visit and exchanged e-mails. Like that about resorts.
Well, I'm sure I Ieft out something but I highly suggest if you go to Mazatlan you should at least check out the Marina. We heard the peddlers were very pesky at the Castilla beach but at the Marina they couldn't bother you. You had to ride a water taxi for about 2 min. to get to the Marina beach. We never made it there. Pool was close to our room so we took advantage of that.
We are in our mid 50's and really enjoyed our little vacation in Mazatlan. Souvenirs for the grandkids were pretty cheap too.

• Stayed July 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2006

We chose the Marina El Cid via Vacation Express on a supposedly all inclusive package with an Express Class upgrade and Platinum Upgrade at the Hotel itself. While the staff was very nice and tried to be helpful, it was the most frustrating and disappointing vacation I have ever had in my life. This is the point where I must note that my husband and I had visted Cancun twice before this trip in the last 4 years and had wonderful times.

The hotel is in an isolated area which proved to be unsafe in our case. The hotel management is well aware of the situation as we did report it. The cab drivers which are NOT part of the hotel were dangerous in their behavior toward us which resulted in our returning home early from the vacation. Security and safety are certainly an issue in the area which is a new experience for us. Things have changed there since the hurricane.

Food at the hotel was a major issue. For whatever reasons, the restaurants were not opened as scheduled in the brochures and on the website of Vacation Express. There really was not 24 hr room service (no breakfast at all) with only hamburgers available for lunch. Mexican restaurant did not serve breakfast as advertised since the "cook did not show" while we were there. Only option for breakfast was a buffet with food that looked recycled. No lobster or shellfish at the seafood restaurant. Charged for wine, although it was supposedly included. No selection of beer at the pool whatsoever since Corona on draft is all that was available. No other bars open until lobby bar opens in evening. No beer available from room service. No food or beverage even available to purchase outside of the all inclusive. When we tried to go into town for dinner since we had determined that was our only option, security incident happened which sent us packing.

Hotel is in an isolated area with limited options. Will not recommend.

• Stayed July 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

The El Cid Marina has to be the ideal vacation resort for people of all ages and likes. The resort boasts the amenities sought by every traveler and what you can't find on sight is either nearby or the staff will go out of their way to secure it for you. It's hard to find a place to begin in describing our love of this resort, but I'd have to say the people are what make this place so ideal. The bellman are always helpful and provide you with all kinds of recommendations from eating establishments to fun things to do. Thanks to the leadership of Jose Ramon and all the guys we were never disappointed. The wait staff at the restaurant are always at the ready and extremely attentive. Thanks to Jose Luis, Jorge and all their pals. The housekeeping staff are efficient and work around you. Everyone is friendly and courteous. We've realized the great serivce, friendliness and attitude of the staff comes from the direction provided by the General Manager, Isaias Gomez.

Although the resort boast about 200 rooms, it has an intimate feeling and we always feel safe. This trip we were only there for 10 days and the new staff began recognizing us almost immediately. We visit once a year and year after year the staff still remember us - this is after seeing different people every day for 51 weeks!! It always feel like coming home when we arrive. Regardless of what you choose in accomodations the suites are spacious, clean and all have great views. The beds are somewhat hard, but who wants to sleep away the day in a room - that's what the pool and beach are for!
Speaking of the pools they are spacious and offer various depths. The big pool area even boasts a walk-through cave with waterfalls. The small pool area offers activites throughout the day which are fun and entertaining. The Activities Director is very engaging.
You get to the private Beach Club via a water taxi and are greeted by staff who provide towels and service under the palapas (palm frond umbrellas). Rarely are you bothered by vendors and you also don't have all the water activities found on the main beach area. It's relaxing and the water is just the right temperature.

We've been staying at the Marina almost since it opened and have experienced its growing pains with changes in staff and management, but since Mr. Gomez has been there we've seen stability in staff and improvement in service, grounds and a resort that is well maintained with thousands of people visiting each year. If you want a vacation that has you living like the Rich and Famous at an affordable price the Marina El Cid is the place for you. Just check out the pictures taken there.

Vista, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

I was met at the entry by Jose the Bell Captain, and from there it just got better. I was shown to my room by Edgar the porter and he made me feel so at home. When I went out to eat breakfast, Jorge the head waiter escorted me to my chair, where Jose Luis took over and made me feel like a long-lost-brother. The food was excellent and so inexpensive. The pools and the beach were incomparable; so clean and the water was so warm; the staff was so helpful. I had the best meal of my life in the Zona de Oro at Ernie's Tomato; it consisted of a ribeye sliced down the center and stuffed with seafood. The combination was mouthwatering - beyond-belief! I can't wait to return to El Cid Marina and the staff there next year.

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

My brother and his family and friends stayed there for a week in June while we stayed at the El Cid Moro tower. We visited them quite often and were impressed with the warmth and excellent service we received from the wait staff, they are so polite and attentive without hovering ,we were positively impacted. While there we met Mr. Isaias Gomez and his lovely family and it was then apparent as to why the excellence of service is so outstanding, he's firm without being hardnosed. All in all our time there was spent very peacefully. My husband and I are frequent travelers and know that this level of service is not found everywhere and that is one of the reasons we so very much enjoyed this experience and we will be back.

• Stayed June 2006
slc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

My reveiw is about the vacation club that they try to sell you at each and every el cid hotel. My husband and I were dumb enough to buy it. What a mistake. Everything they told us was a lie. You don't get airline discounts, and the amount of points it cost you to do a vacation, you could buy the same vacatiion twice for what they charge in point value. I have tried to cancel it several times and they refuse so far. I lost a $2,600.00 deposit on the deal and will never go back to El Cid. The marina hotel is very nice. Nice rooms, good food, all that. Just beware and do not buy into the vacation club. The next time I see them will e in court.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!