“A week of new adventures” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
LaGrange, Georgia
“A week of new adventures”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

I just got back from a wonderful week at the Marina El Cid. It was my first time being outside the states and I was very pleased with our lodging. We woke up every morning to a view of the Marina. Off our balcony you could see the Beach Club and the ocean. Our room was very clean and well maintained. The staff at the Marina were out of this world. They made my first trip a memorable experience. I really don't have one negative about our stay (other than I had to come back to the rat race). I am looking forward to another trip in May for our daughters 16th birthday, If you get the chance, I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2006

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights at El Cid Marina and had a wonderful time!

The hotel and rooms were very clean and well manicured. The beds are very hard, but you get used to it. Our daily maid service did a good job and the staff at the entire resort were very helpful and friendly. For only a 3.5 star hotel, it was very nice stay.

We loved having the kitchen in our room, we took the bus to Walmart and stocked up on breakfast and lunch items which was nice to have the option of something other than eating out. We didn't have the all inclusive plan and I'm glad for that, the hotel's food was nothing to write home about. We had a coulple of meals from them and you can get way better/cheaper food if you just take the bus into town.

They have an awesome beach area, but you do have to take a water taxi to it. The ride is a about 2 minutes. It is free, but like any service in Mexico, tips are very appreciated. The average wage is $4.50/day! You'll need to do what's comfortable to you in the tipping department. The beach does have a lot of vendors, but they will leave you alone if you say no and by the end of our trip, they all knew we weren't going to buy anything from them.

Nice pools and towel service. The hot tub could be warmer.

Watch out for the timeshare sales people in the lobby! Just don't give in and go to any of their presentations and then they'll leave you alone. We did get a couple calls from them in our room, which I didn't care for.

We had a late flight going home and the staff was very accomodating at giving us a later check out time and storing our luggage for us.

Being in the marina added some interest and more activity to the hotel, which we enjoyed.

We'd go back for sure!

• Stayed January 2006
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2005

My husband and I, his sister and her husband stayed here the week of Dec. 3-10. This is our home resort, and this was the first time we had stayed here since we purchased in November of 2004. We had wanted a 2 bedroom unit, but one was not available so we got two adjacent junior suites. The suites had two double beds with a large bed stand between them and double wall-mounted lamps that gave good reading light. Also in this bedroom area was a large dresser with a tv on top. You could see the tv OK from the beds though a larger screen would be nice. The TV could not be seen from the living area. The kitchen was well-equipped for cooking (no oven), although all we used was the refrigerator,microwave, and coffee pot. The toilet and large shower were separate from the dressing area. Plenty of hangers were provided as was an ironing board and iron. There were two sinks and plenty of toiletries supplied--also a hair dryer. Good lighting everywhere.
We were on a ground floor unit facing the marina. Beautiful and serene. Our patio area was much larger than the patios on the units above us, and accommodated a table and two chairs. The only complaint I have about our room was poor ventilation. We could smell cigarette/cigar smoke from a nearby room. We had to turn on the overhead fan and open a window or the patio door and burn the candle that was provided to get the smell out of our room. (Maybe that's why the candle was provided?) Both rooms had minor maintenance issues, and both were resolved very quickly by the El Cid staff.
The grounds are well-maintained and all the staff were very friendly. A couple of times we did not have any money with us for tips, and the waiter said "It's ok--don't worry about it." We did take care of them later, but were never made to feel guilty because we were not prepared.
We did not like the Marina Restaurant, at least for ordering off the menu. I think this restaurant is more geared for their buffet. We ate there our first night since it was late, and we didn't want to go into town. My food was cold, and my brother-in-law's fish wasn't cooked all the way. One other time my sister-in-law went there to get a quick breakfast before leaving on a tour, and it took her a half hour to get her food, and it was cold! They did go there once for a breakfast buffet and said the food was good. The food from the pool snack bars is good, especially the shrimp tacos. We liked to take the free water taxi across the marina to the restaurant in the Marina Yacht Club hotel. Some other guests recommended it to us. Great food at very reasonable prices. Also on this side of the marina is the El Cid Marina Beach Club where there is the secluded beach with palapas, tables, chairs and lounge chairs. It is very quiet and relaxing over there. There are a few vendors, but they are not pushy and will go away if you just say "No, gracias." There is also food and beverage service there, and boogie boards available for rent. The two pools on the property are clean and well-maintained, and the music is kept at a level that can be heard from the pool area only. My in-laws loved going to the large hot tub every afternoon. There are plenty of activities available, such as yoga on the lawn, water aerobics, bingo, pottery painting, pinata making lessons, etc.
On the property is a laundromat, in-house doctor, a couple of gift shops, and a grocery store. We were surprised that although limited in variety, the prices were pretty reasonable for the basic supplies.
For one of the days we purchased a 2 for 1 All-inclusive (as part of our time-share presentation) for $65 US. We used it for breakfast at the La Concha restaurant at the El Cid El Moro Tower, dinner at the Alcazar at the El Cid Castilla plus drinks and food at the pool snack bars. Got our money's worth! The food at the two restaurants were very good. It's really easy to take the free shuttle from the Marina to the other three El Cid properties in town. We would also take the shuttle to one of the other properties and walk to nearby restaurants. Los Arcos Seafood Restaurant was excellent!
I am not giving this resort an excellent rating because of the quality of the main restaurant and the ventilation problems, but otherwise we really enjoyed our stay here and plan on returning!

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2005

We took our trip from October 8 - 13th. I cannot say enough good things about El Cid Marina Beach Hotel. The view from our room (jr suite) was wonderful, the service from ALL the staff in the hotel and by the pool was excellent. I thought the food was extremely delicious. The weather was magnificient. The only bad experience my husband and I had was when we went into town to shop for souvenirs and the locals would not take no for an answer. Other than that, it was a wonderful vacation. We are already planning our next trip there.

• Stayed October 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2005

El Cid Marina was better than average but with a few problem that some may not be able to over look. First of all we had the presidential suite, 3 beds/bath, full kitchen, 6 balconies, daily maid service ($90 day was posted in the lobby---we paid less). We had a corner room, floor to ceiling windows, ocean, pool views from every balcony. However.....The air conditioning in living room didn't get cold enough, but colder than the outside air but the bedrooms were fine and a TV in each with multible cable channels, HBO, Showtime, etc.

The bedding, while clean did have an faint mildewy smell, request new pilliows. There were some suspicious moldy spots I stayed far away from. We had awesome thunderstorms almost every night but one night the balcony filled with water and it sweeped into the room. We had about 4 inches of water in two of the bedrooms. Housekeeing cleaned it up with towels at 4 am. That was scary but just happened once. The living room looked like a palace, lots of marble, a couple of statues, nice outdoor patio style type furniuture--decorated very light and airy. The pools were clean and goreous, the grounds very nicely kept. The food was good, the service the same. I suggest converting to the peso and having lots of small bills, because everybody keeps the change. The vendors didn't bargain much and wouldn't take torn bills. The time share sales people hound you down every opportunity. As soon as some one comes up to talk to you they have to qualify you for the timeshare presentation so you must be over 25, married--both spouses there, staying at least another couple of days. So after a while I just mentioned my husband isn't with me, or I was leaving tomorrow. We went ala carte didn't get anything prepaid and it was still cheap and plentiful. Some all in one plans excluded some of the good stuff--like resteraunts.

The hotel has great sight-seeing deals ranging from $20.00 to 50.00 for an all day--food and drinks included. Everything was great. I would go again but maybe in a less humid month.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!