“We Thoroughly Enjoyed Our Stay at El Cid Marina Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Los Angeles, California
“We Thoroughly Enjoyed Our Stay at El Cid Marina Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Stay Dates: April 5-10, 2009.

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay here with our Wyndham Points and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We will definitely return here for our next vacation in Mazatlan. Check-in was very fast and easy. There was a brief conversation with a time-share representative as part of the check-in process, but after a quick and polite “no, thank you,” we were not approached again at the resort for any time share presentations.

Once in the room and unpacked, we realized the in-room safe would not work. I called the front desk and a bellman arrived within 5 minutes. Once he verified that the problem was not user-error he called maintenance and a technician arrived a couple of minutes later. This minor problem (and the only problem we encountered with the room during our stay) was corrected in under ten minutes. Excellent service at this resort.

We stayed in a 1BR overlooking the heated pool (the one with the swim-up bar) and it was quite large and clean. Small kitchenette had everything we needed – blender, toaster, coffeemaker, small fridge and a two-burner cook top along with plenty of cups, plates, utensils, etc. Dining table with 4 chairs. Large living room. Separate bedroom and two separate vanity areas. Nice large shower. Television in both the LR and the BR, but we never turned them on to see what was on (or even if they worked!). Balcony off both the BR and the LR – small, but adequate – one balcony with no chairs and one with 2 chairs, but no table to place your drink on (minor annoyance).

Grounds were very well maintained. Two pools – one heated (too warm for us) with a swim up bar. One not heated, but felt to be at least in the mid-70s. Lots of families and this is a very family-friendly resort. The resort seemed to offer a lot to keep the kids busy – we will definitely return with our kids next time. We loved the beach at this resort and access via the 3-minute water taxi was never a problem. We stayed during Semana Santa and the crowds in front of the other El Cid hotels (and generally all over the Golden Zone and south) were thick in the afternoons. It was nice to have a quiet beach to retreat to in the afternoon (and very few vendors there too!).

We only ate at the resort twice. Once for dinner at La Marina, which was disappointing. In my opinion La Marina offers a nice view, but the restaurant itself is quite drab. Food is overpriced and marginal. I had the Mexican platter and it was luke warm and bland. Wife had shrimp brochette nicely presented in a flaming pineapple, but I felt like we were paying for the presentation, as the food itself was underwhelming. On the other hand, we enjoyed lunch poolside on our last day and loved the shrimp quesadillas.

The location of this resort was perfect for us: close enough to the Golden Zone (and the free shuttle to the El Cid Complex is a great service), but far enough north that we felt like we could escape the crowds and chaos.

Overall I would definitely recommend this resort for just about anyone staying in Mazatlan. We will certainly stay here next time we get the chance. It definitely satisfied all of our needs and expectations.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
Dear LookingToEscape

Thank you so much for your detailed review of our hotel. We are pleased that you found our location ideal to fit your needs and that overall you found your stay to be a positive experience. We realize how busy everyone is and quality time for friends and family are so important. Thus when you have the opportunity to get away, you appreciate having a hotel that provides exceptional service. I couldn't agree more that our energetic team does aim to please.

Additionally, I thank you for your careful critiquing of La Marina Restaurant, I have forwarded your feedback about your dinner experience to the F&B Manager and rest assured that on your next visit you´ll be surprised with the improvements.

I will be sure to share your enthusiasm with our team. Please make sure to visit us whenever your travel plans bring you to Mazatlan. Thank you very much.

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

We usually vacation in Puerto Vallarta but decided to try Mazatland and the El Cid Marina. Beautiful hotel, very clean, great and friendly service. Staff very accommodating, especially Fidel (server at the Iguana Bar) who kept moving our table so we could be seated in the sun. Rene, at the Callipso Bar, always made sure we were well taken care of (food and drinks). These guys work very hard and always polite and smiling.
Our first impression when arriving at the Airport in Mazatland was "Wow, no time share hasstlers!" The airport is small but neat and modern. We were met by the hotel van and after 40 minutes arrived at our hotel. Wonderful room with a great view of the pool area and ocean. The food was great (we took an all inclusive for 4 days - great value) and enjoyed eating at Marina restaurants and outdoor bars. We enjoyed the heated pool (the deep pool was cold) and the entertainment.
The only negative thing we could say was that it was rather windy the first few days and once the sun goes down and the wind picks up you need a wrap or a light jacket (never had that problem in P.V.)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2009
Dear VeeNel

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about El Cid Marina and team.
Impressions are made special when people remember names of our staff that had the difference in everyone's visit to our hotel...

Thank you for pointing out specific people and trust me I will make sure to tell them personally of your great comments. We pride ourselves on our service as anyone can build a palace, but unless the foundation of the team is there, you cannot continue to do business. We receive many rave reviews on our food and are delighted that your experience was no exception.

Our "value" is what we strive to create and we hope that you will come visit us again soon...

Ankeny, Iowa, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

My wife & I visited Mazatlan in late March 2009. All the hype about the drug war is unfounded in Mazatlan. We stayed at the Marina El Cid resort. This resort is a little bit remote from the most popular activities, which was perfect for us. This resort & service is first class. El Cid has two large pools areas with the largest hot we have ever seen. The beach area is across the marina and easy to access. We opted for the EP meal plan and ate breakfast and snacks only at the hotel. Be prepared to be bombarded with time-share proposals. They will entice you with a lot of freebees. Unless you are genuinely interested, just be firm and say no. Your vacation time is too valuable to waste half a day.

Because of negative news about the world economy and the drug war, tourism in Mazatlan has been hurt. There is more to do in Mazatlan than you will have time for, do your research on line before you go. There is very little need to purchase tours, as everything you might want to do is an inexpensive taxi ride away. We climbed to the top of the lighthouse, which was exhausting, but one great view. We went on tour to Stone Island, which was regrettable. We took a sunset sailing cruise on the Patricia Belle, which was most enjoyable. Twice we went to the Aroma Spa for massage. We had 1.5 hour massages for only $19 plus tip. If you enjoy a massage, please don't miss this. Aroma Spa is in Old Town Mazatlan and when you arrive it might be little scary, but once you have done this you will have no fear of returning.

We ate our evening meal at a different restaurant every night. The service every place was awesome. Our most enjoyed meal was Italian at Angelo's just a short walk from our hotel. Angelos is a little expensive but worth every cent. Save room for dessert. We also enjoyed Pedro and Lolas restaurant in Old Town Mazatlan. They set-up your table in the street and the dining experience is unforgettable.

Take a taxi from the airport to your hotel, it is the same amount of money and will be a whole lot faster. Pulmonias are fun, great way to get around and cheap if you negotiate the price before you get in. Remember that it is not customary to tip the Pulmonia driver, just pay the agreed price and say thanks. Take the bus once or twice just for the experience. Pacifico Beer is great, we brought some back home. The best shopping is in the Golden District.

We hope you have as much fun in Mazatlan as we did.

Thanks, Ken, Ankeny, Iowa, USA

Dear HappyinAnkeny

Thank you for taking the time to express your appreciation in respect of your recent stay here at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel. We take pride in our sense of hospitality and your comments certainly assist us in enhancing the quality of our services.

We naturally are delighted to hear that you have totally enjoyed your visit. I was really happy to read that your feedback is similar to the comments left by the majority of guests leaving comments about the hotel on Tripadvisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future and that on your next visit you will try our beautiful La Marina Restaurant for lunch and dinner too. With its unique water views, personable service, and the freshest ingredients, we do believe it is well worth the experience when compared to most restaurants in Mazatlan.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly to make a booking or if you have any queries.

Wausau, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

Since I read TA a lot before going to a hotel/resort, I will try to keep my report the way I like them: Short and to the point!

We really liked everything about El Cid Marina. PBEB might be nicer, but it is brand new (and really far away) and should be. They do a great job of keeping El Cid looking super. It's been # 1, 2 or 3 every time I've opened up Trip Advisor, as it should be. Its a great resort.

This hotel used to be considered 'out of the way' but it really is not. As mentioned a lot, there is a van that will take you to the other El Cids, closer to where the "action" is, but even walking there is not too bad.

I am loading some pictures and hopefully a video of the room to help people get a feel for what the place is like. We had a one bedroom unit, with a living room and kitchen. (We always eat out, so the fridge would be enough for us!) The room is always spic and span; the maids are super. Some of the features are a little older and could be updated, ie: The sink, shower heads, etc. But I'm not going to let a sink ruin my vacation, are you? Take a look at my pics and vid and make your own call.

The resort itself is laid out around the Marina, basically making an "L" shape with about 8 or 9 buildings that have maybe 12-16 units apiece in them. We stayed closer to the end of the resort, the western edge, where the marina begins. Walking around is always pleasant; there are always tons of boats to look at.

Of the two pool areas, we stayed mostly at the non-heated one. The heated one has a swim up bar, so being away from that was a little unnerving for me, but I got by! The non-heated pool has the funky rock structure (see pics) and you can swim underneath to the other side. It also has the hot tub, which was always busy. I personally liked the cold pool; nice to jump in and cool off. Oh, and finally, this pool has Fidel, one of the finest cocktail waiters I've ever known! Bravo senor!

One more thing about the pools; they have games and stuff at the heated one and nothing at the 'cold' pool. I really enjoyed not hearing music non stop or having to listen to Bingo every day. I'm only 40, but a little peace and quiet is kind of what vacations mean to me.

We chose not to go all inclusive (being timeshare members) but I did seriously consider it. They had a 4 for 3 deal. Buy 3 days at $55 and get the 4th free, making the net cost about $41 a day; not bad. We ate breakfast there twice and really enjoyed it. The food is pretty good, considering it is a buffet. Breakfast was about $10US and I thought it was worth it.

OK, hope I was brief, yet thorough enough to be helpful!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear helpuican

Thank you for the fantastic comments about El Cid Marina Beach Hotel and for taking the time to upload images to Tripadvisor. 5 DOTS IS THE BEST RATING FOR US! More importantly your loyalty to El Cid Resorts is worth a life time of ratings...

I was really pleased to read the great comments on the staff, location, breakfast, comfort and cleanliness! I have passed the feedback on to our accommodation services, front office and breakfast teams. I will also pass on your compliments to Fidel our employee of the year.

I do hope that you choose to stay with us for any future stays, so that we can showcase all of our upgrades and décor changes that will take place during this year.

Look forward to hosting you again here in Mazatlan!

South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed three weeks again this year at El Cid Marina. The El Cid complex of four resorts are perhaps the best maintained and operated in Mazatlan. The El Cid Marina added land volleyball, cooking and tequila drink making classes and outdoor movies to their already significant offerings of activities. The Broadway show at the Castilla was excellent. We will surely spend another 3 weeks at the El Cid Marina next winter. We were able to walk to many nice restaurants and enjoy the celebrity impersonators at Heather's. A short bus ride takes you to the Mega Store or Walmart where you will find anything you need.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2009
Dear J0ngal

A big thank you from all the team for your kind words. It's always a pleasure to pass on to the team here at El Cid Marina such kind and thoughtful comments!

We are happy that you and your family have had positive feedback on the food, location and friendly staff; and went back home with good memories encouraging you to share with fellow travelers, for which we thank you deeply. We have a high level of return guests which we believe is down to our personalized service and friendly approach, combined with our excellent facilities.

We very look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. In the meantime, once again thank you for your feedback.

Green Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

We stayed at the Marina El Cid in 2007 and enjoyed it so much that we couldn't think of staying at any other place, so we returned in 2009. We felt so welcomed and comfortable both stays. All of the staff were extremely professional, friendly, and helpful, especially Isaias Gomez and Armando Lizarraga Rios. They provided us with helpful information about El Cid as well as about Mazatlan tourist attractions. The resort itself has two beautiful pools and a hot tub to relax by. A nice man named Silverio makes beautiful jewelry by the poolside, he even custom-made earrings to match my necklace. We also loved being close to the marina and really enjoyed the catamaran rides, Sebastian (guide) made the trip extra fun!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2009
Dear TandBGreenBay

Thank you for such a glowing review. Each time we receive a review like yours pure delight is brought to our hearts. Our goal of creating the best experience has been achieved and we know that all of our efforts are worth it.

We think it is very important to instill a sense of pride in each of our associates and from your review we can see that they truly do care about making each of our guests have a wonderful stay.

We are pleased you enjoyed our services and our amenities throughout the hotel. We take pleasure in offering the little extras and ensuring each request is responded to quickly by the staff.

Thank you for staying with us a second time and please feel free to contact me directly when you would like to make future reservations.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

The resort was very nice with two pools. One of the pools was amazing with a waterfall, cave, and jumping ledge. The staff was very nice and mostly bilingual. The room was really great. The shower was not immaculately clean, but everything else was very clean.

The food at the big pools was very good. The food at the other pool, and in the restaurant was not as good. There were many buffets being set up each day which we did not try but which looked good.

If you stay here you can use the lap pool at the El Cid Country club, which is awesome. If you want to use the gym, however, you must pay $9 USD per visit!

The concierge was somewhat helpful but did not give the best recommendations for activities, and certainly not for dining. There are many tours and restaurants accessible from this hotel. They should really improve their concierge service.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Dear stlboy

We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and the service our staff provided. They take great pride in their work and we receive lots of compliments from our guests on the quality of the service.

We pride ourselves on delivering excellent service and a good night’s sleep to all our clientele. To ensure we are able to maintain our brand standards our philosophy within the Hotel is to have the essential amenities to ensure a comfortable and relaxing stay with great service.

I have spoken to the concierge department to ensure that all guests have the right information and the best recommendations - Thank you for highlighting this issue.

We do hope for your next trip to Mazatlan, you choose us again. Thank you for your honest review.

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!