“Won't visit here again!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Great Deal: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #1 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Vancouver, Washington
“Won't visit here again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I like the location and convenience of this hotel. You can take a shuttle boat from the dock to the beach which is not very far from the hotel. We stayed 7 days so we took advantage of that on multiple occasions. When we arrived, we were hungry but the pool food menu was limited on options so my husband and I went with a burger, which was actually pretty good surprisingly. On other occasions we tried the nachos, the quesadillas and other Mexican American food and thought it was mediocre.

The next morning after our arrival, we tried the brunch buffet located in the hotel upstairs from the lobby. It was not that great. They were serving hot dogs as sausages and what seemed like bologna as ham. So I mostly had fruit and eggs cause nothing else looked appetizing for $25 bucks per person. If we had known the price before we went in, we would have gotten a muffin instead at the cafe place ride by the marina.

Now onto why I give this a 2 star rating. We had switched over some of our US dollars to Pesos when we got into Mexico, but, we did end up using some US dollars at the resort since they accepted. I think they were counting on us not realizing the actual going rate of u.s. to pesos because the girl in the cafe coffee shop ripped us off multiple occasions that we finally realized after the 3rd time. We told her this was not correct and she ended up giving us the correct amount after we confronted her. So, let our mistake be a warning to whoever goes to Mexico or this resort in general. They will try to swindle you if you use American money, so transfer it into Pesos!

One night we were sitting at the outside bar having a couple drinks, when we decided to call it a night I guess I left my purse on the chair and didn't realize it until the next morning when I couldn't find it. I called the front desk, they said that it was there.. so I immediately went down to get it and noticed that they had stolen $50 out of it. I guess the good part is they didn't take it all, but still. Why steal at all, perhaps I would have given a tip for recovering it for me... but this just left a bad taste in my mouth. The people at El Cid Marina are shady people and I do not think I will ever stay at this Hotel again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear g33kinp1n,

Thank you for taking the time to write your honest opinion about our hotel, it is unfortunate that your trip did not turned out as planned do to some inconveniences along the way. Touching the subject about the food I am very concerned to hear that you did not find it to your liking what so ever rest assure that I will definitely be following up on this matter for our guest health is our number one priority. Moving along to the comment with the incident in the coffee shop first let me start off by clarifying that the coffee shop is an independent business and it is not part of the hotel never the less I thank you for bring it to our attention so we can be aware of what is going on in our installation and prevent this from happening to any following guests. I am sorry that some of your belongings were stolen but I’d like to comment that it was forgotten in a Public area where we have other people throughout the day roaming along our instillation , this is a situation that is taken very serious for we like to provied an enviornment were everyone feels safe and secure.

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Negatives: Hotel buildings are very far from eachother, so you are up to a ten minute walk from reception and breakfast. When it rains, the paths are dangerously slippy - I was there when Hurricane Norbert hit and met two people who had injured themselves quite badly slipping on the walkway between buildings. Rooms smell damp (in fairness, hard to avoid in a tropical climate) and the apartment/rooms are quite bare and unattractive. Bed was not particularly comfortable. Doors into rooms and onto balconies are old and flimsy, which made me feel very insecure, particularly given that I was in the building furthest away from reception and my room was right beside the life. I presume if you are on a holiday package, the hotel might be reasonable value, but I was there for business and the room rate was US$130 a night excluding breakfast, which is frankly a ridiculous price for a third rate hotel.

Positives: Food was good - lots of choice and good quality buffet breakfast, I had room service one evening and it was excellent. Staff are friendly and efficient. The swimming pools looked nice and the location around the marina is reasonably attractive. Perhaps it would be better as a holiday destination but, if travelling to Mazatlan on business, avoid!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Keizer
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I love this hotel. It has a beach with free boat ride all day And most me the night the Marina is.right there. My bf likes to watch the fishing boats flying flags coming in And out. There is 30-40 large iguanas at And around the pool that will eat lettuce out Of your hand.
Mazatlan is my favorite destination .we have been everywhere in Mexico And always go back to the Great weather Great prices And awesome sunsets in Mazatlan. El Cid is our favorite resort. They have like 5 resorts you can take free shuttle And hang out in different pools And places everyday. It's awesome!!! Some pools are adult only some pools kids will have a blast with the slid And jumping off the pool cliff's into deeper water. Some pools cool water some warmer water. And always ocean right dang there!!

• Stayed November 2013
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Javatoto,

Thank you for speaking so fondly of our hotel and taking the time in letting us know how your say turned out. We are so glad you found your say to be so wonderful. We try an offer something everyone can enjoy, and were glad you were able to further explore our other resorts and enjoy of our many pool. Mazatlan has a lot to offer whether it is culture or amazing scenery there is never a dull moment,

we hope you visit us again soon.

Bellevue, NE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We spent 10 days at the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel and had a nice, relaxing vacation. When I go to a new resort, I appreciate learning all the helpful hints from travelers who have preceded me, so I will offer some! We pre-arranged a roundtrip shuttle trip to and from the resort which is what I would advise. Cost is minimal (go through Mazatlantours.org). You'll avoid the time-share "free ride" offers. Checking in, we asked for oceanview room. The room was very nice (they all are) but we did get the poolview/marina view room. We opted for European Plan (not all inclusive). This is a better choice for us because we have found most resorts' restaurant foods are very bland and the drinks lacking alcohol. This resort was also that way. The room was lovely, A/C worked WELL, nice small kitchen area with all the basic amenities (except no pitcher to make iced tea!). Bed was comfy. Secure safe, clothesline in shower, small terrace with chairs, two sink vanity areas, 2 TV's. Had a couple things wrong (travelers usually do) like one TV that didn't work, one morning water was shut off, one day had a leak from ceiling but maintenance people were very quick to fully repair! You can take small golf cart taxi anywhere that is too far to walk. The free shuttle runs constantly as well and will take you to all the other El Cid properties so you can walk from there too. We took taxi to MEGA store which is large grocery store. (Beware all "supermarkets" you will see including at the resort are like quick shops...good for soda and chips type items only). We bought breakfast and lunch food, fruit, liquor, snacks for about $95 and lasted us for over a week. A couple times we ate breakfast or dinner at the resort but mostly ate our food and then went off-site to restaurants for all other meals. Some good finds: Social Café had great small plates pork tacos; La Costa Marina restaurant is beachside and had a great shrimp platter! Chili Pepper's had good shrimp and chips and cold Pacifico Light. Valentino's was beautiful and offered the prettiest view on a hot afternoon while drinking cold beer. The pools both have snacks and sandwiches as does the beach bar. However, besides the cheeseburger (which my husband liked), the food was nothing to write about. The beach is accessible by water taxi which runs continuously just across the harbor. It is PERFECT!! We spent a lot of time there. Great waves, shaded beach chairs, A/C bathrooms, parasailing, drink service. Beach vendors were few and really very polite. We bought beautiful turquoise silver jewelry from Mario! We took a zip-line/tequila tasting tour and it was a BLAST. They feed you a traditional lunch in a small village which was delicious. However, if you are a germaphobe...don't eat :) We went on full day fishing trip and got a beautiful sailfish! Hubby also took an El Salto bass fish trip and caught several "hogs" as he put it. Walked along the Malecon and bought a few cheesy souveniers. Service staff at the hotel was EXCEPTIONAL. Everyone was happy, helpful, kind and most knew English. Exchange your American dollars with Peso's right away. You'll get a better deal on everything and the locals appreciate it. Don't forget to tip. We brought several one's to do that. Service is better and less expensive than in the US so tipping is really a pleasure. Hint: bring your own shampoo, lotion, shower gel. We relied on the hotel soaps and really didn't enjoy the scent! Pack light and rinse clothes out with Woolite. You'll sweat through everything but this was easier than packing too much. We spend a lot of time in bathing suits! Fun water aerobics at the pool, other activities too that we did not participate in. We were there early-mid August so local school was still out. That equates to LOTS of kids. But all well-behaved and we just went to the beach instead which is very private. Wi-Fi was not free. $30 for a week and it was hit and miss but at least offers a way to check in with email if you need to. I'll attach photos...all in all a lovely trip. Thank you El Cid Marina!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear JJkaip,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to write this review. We appreciate your detailed description letting us know about your recent trip and also in letting us acknowledge which areas need some improvement. I am pleased to hear that you found our installations to be to your satisfaction as far as the room, and facilities we offer, not to mention that you also had a chance to visit our other resorts while using our free shuttle service. I apologize for the minor inconveniences you encountered with the T.V and Water I can assure you that this was further looked in to see what the problem was, I am glad that it was able to be fixed quick and efficiently. Mazatlan has much to offer it has the most amazing scenery and culture; it’s so nice to hear that you were able to go out and see what Mazatlan is made of. I hope that you come visit us again soon!

Best wishes,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Just returned from our second trip to El Cid Marina. Spent a week there and had a fantastic time. The service is wonderful, (Abraham and Walter at the pool bar. Remy is a great bartender) In the restaurant, Miguel is personable and offers great customer service. We had our children (19 and 21 ) with us and they had a great time as well. We had a minor issue in our room and maintenance personnel was there to correct the problem within minutes.
Be aware there is technically no beach directly in front of the hotel - a short shuttle takes you to a "private beach" which has a bar facilities and food service. Beach is a little steep so the waves can be tough.
You can take the hotel shuttle to either of the other hotels for the full beach experience or use any of their pools.
Given the chance to go back and enjoy another week at the hotel I would jump at the chance.
Would I recommend the Hotel to family and friends - absolutely.

Room Tip: Ground level rooms have quick access to the pool. Upper floors offer better views of the marina and...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Bill M,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review and allow us to know how you recent stay went. Just from writing the title I was already so excited to begin reading your comment. I am glad to hear that you decided to visit us again. Abraham, Walter, And Remy well be congratulated on their hard efforts. I apologize that you had some setbacks with your room along the way but I am glad that it was able to be resolved quick and efficiently, thank you for not letting it affect your outlook on our hotel. We hope you become a frequent guest and keep coming back for years and years to come.

Kind Regards,
Mid-MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Husband, two kids (ages 9 & 11) and I had a fabulous vacation in March. Staff were accommodating and kind. There was a problem with our room and Luis addressed it the same day. The all inclusive plan is the way to eat. The food was good-my son still talks about the coconut shrimp & non-alcoholic daiquiris. The beach was quiet with few solicitors. Kids loved riding the water taxi to the beach. Enough activities that the kids were not bored. Felt safe enough to let them walk back to the room from the restaurant without us. Went to the City Aquarium- we all enjoyed it! Would definitely plan another trip to El CID-marina

Room Tip: Had a room directly in back of the smaller pool. Concerned that there would be too much noise at ni...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear pickyMomMid_Mo

As always, thank you for your time and review which we really appreciate. We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay with us at El Cid Marina Hotel, and especially that our staff went beyond your expectations.
As El Cid Resort´s promises, we hope every guest feel refreshed and replenished after their journey with us.

Unwind with us another time. We expect to you come back soon.

Kind regards,

Collegeville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful.. We had a blast on karaoke night. Very nice rooms we had a huge two bedroom on the 4th floor absolutely no noise at all, nice pools, no where near as crowded as the other El Cids in Mazatlan. We had a great time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Jim T

I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments with regards to your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure to note how much you enjoyed your vacation. We appreciate all feedback; but, especially enjoy reading about the great experiences we help make in Mazatlan. We will pass along your wonderful experience to our employees as a job well done.

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!