“A Welcome Retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
ABILENE
“A Welcome Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Upon arriving at the El Cid, we were greeted by Carmen, one of the timeshare receptionists. She was kind and helpful and just a beautiful person to get to know. We did attend a sales breakfast and thought the salespeople were arrogant and rude. Also, be aware you are not in the USA and it is likely the salespeople at the corner table are listening in to your conversations when the salesman is gone. We may test this out on another trip.

Mazatlan itself was a refreshing change from some of the mega resort cities such as Cancun. The pace was slower and it felt like we were back in old Mexico again. While the beaches may not rival those in the Caribbean, the people certainly do.

As for entertainment, SKIP the CITY TOUR which is offered as part of your time share breakfast. It is sponsored by several jewelry stores and we felt as if we were being held hostage to give us an opportunity to pay ransom by buying something. This feeling only increased when the bus stopped at a restaurant on the way back for us to eat lunch at our own expense. I am sure there were some kickbacks involved here. We ended up walking away from the restaurant and made our own way back to the hotel.

We did take the Zip Line tour and enjoyed the trip, even if the scenery leaves a little to be desired. Jonathon and the other guides were a lot of fun. The Tequila Factory Tour was also very interesting.

We did the all-inclusive meal plan and the food was excellent. We took the shuttle up to the other El Cid hotels to try their restaurants also. Our favorite meals were those on the veranda at the Marina Restaurant with the sun setting. We went there for a relaxing meal on our last night and were surprised to find the karaoke from the bar below had been moved outside and definitely ruined the ambiance we desired for our last night.

Be sure to try the local coconut ice cream. It is some of the best I have ever tasted.

Room Tip: When checking in ask for a room in Building A, if it is available, for the best views.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

My wife and her family have had a time share down at the El Cid for twenty five years or so, and this past trip down to The Marina was mine and my wife's first time going with her family. It was an amazing experience from the time we arrived, to the service provided poolside, to the restaurants and even our maid Olivia was the sweetest and most hard working person we met!!She is very caring and extremely energetic with a heart of Gold!! WE love you Olivia!! I highly recommend traveling here for a vacation destination!! One of the safest and best places i have visited in a long time. Want to have a great experience? Then El Cid Marina Beach Hotel is the place to head on down to!! A++++

Room Tip: Highly Recommend the rooms down at the end of the Marina over looking the beach and pool area. The c...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear eric b,

Thank you so very much for posting your comments to trip advisor, our commitment is to guarantee a hassle free stay to our guests and promote the unique culture of the beautiful port of Mazatlan, while offering the unique service that earn our reputation, thank you so very much for your honest and valuable comments. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and every aspect of the hotel.

If there is anything else we can do to make your time with us more comfortable, please do not hesitate to let me or any member of our team let us know!

My best,

atlanta georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed at the Marina Beach Hotel for 1 week, and had a wonderful time. Carmen one of the Ladies from the timeshare sales was extremely helpful even when she knew my husband and I would not purchase, she helped us out when my luggage did not arrive and when we wanted to go to different tours.
Rogelio was an absolute angel. He helped us locate a different room, he was apologetic that it was smaller then what we booked but the view was unbelievable. We stayed in building A in Unit 706 and it was wonderful. Rogelio also helped us make reservations at Pedro and Lola's for dinner. I would recommend going to this restaurant on a Saturday night when the square has a lot going on.
The staff itself was very helpful we loved Ramon and Jorge by the pool, the service was great.
This resort is so much quieter and in my opinion nicer then El Cid Moro. It isn't as big so it wasn't as busy. This way we received fantastic service from the staff.
The rooms are kept clean, the maid service would even go back to our room late in the afternoon and replace towels for us when we took late showers to go out to dinner.
With being at the Marina if you wanted to take a boat tour you were right there.
we met Umberto who was one of the taxi drivers, he speaks English and will be happy to take you where ever you want to go. He drove us to the Lighthouse and then came back in the evening and picked us up. One day he took us around for the day sightseeing. The cost was less then us taking a tour. I will update with Umberto's number at a later time for anyone who would like it.
The only downside I would say was spending the extra money on the upgrade to the all inclusive. I would recommend the all inclusive but if you are not going to be eating Steak and Shrimp every day in their restaurant it was not worth it. The other disappointment was every time you wanted to make reservations at El Cid Moro you would be told there was no availability. My husband and I would go there and we would be able to get a table.
If you have the chance to go to El Cid Marina and would like to be away from the hustle and bustle but just a shuttle ride away please do you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Room 706 in building A is as far away from the lobby as you can get it is a little bit of a walk, or...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Mommagga,

Thank you for taking the time in writing this review, I am so glad to hear you had such an enjoyable stay. Yes EL Cid Marina is known to be a more tranquil environment. It´s great to hear that my staff was able to provide to you exceptional service Carmen, Rogelio, Ramon, Jorge and the rest of the staff mentioned will be getting the recognition they deserve , I’m proud to have them as a part of our team. It great you had a chance to visit our sister resorts and you enjoyed them as well . We hope you visit us again soon.

Isais Gomez
Burlington, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have just returned to US after a week at the El Cid Resorts in Mazatlan, MX. We cannot say enough about the quality of ever aspect of our trip. Superb service, accommodations, food and setting. All in all a great experience. The attention to detail of the staff and administration is really quite remarkable. It seems as though the rule of: "If you see a problem, FIX IT" definitely applies to the staff. We are impressed that employees are empowered and encouraged to take responsibility for the success of a company so large. Every aspect from dining service, to shuttle service, to maid service, to grounds keepers is remarkably well managed.
Olivia our house keeper was one of the most accommodating people we have ever met. She was always a step ahead of what was required. The restaurant staff, reception staff and house staff become great friends during even this short one week stay. There are too many names and faces we know so well to acknowledge them all here.

The dining staff at all four of the resorts were exceptional. We enjoyed all of the accommodations for food and entertainment and found it delicious, and very satisfying. The staff each take a personal interest in the guest, from the bell boys to the shuttle drivers to the people constantly sweeping and mopping and make every part of the resort experience perfection.
We are El Cid Vacation members and are proud to be a part of this universal family of servants and service folks. We will be traveling to our new homes away from home very soon.

Tom George and Buddy McReynolds, NC, USA

Room Tip: There appear to be no bad rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Tegget

As I started Reading the title of your review I was automatically overjoyed and excited to start reading about your trip. I think each and every guest has their memorable moments and I find it so fascinating to read them. I am glad you found our rooms to be spacious, staff to be superb we work hard to maintain our facilities looking its best, I will pass along your kind remarks to my fellow staff as well and the chefs of our restaurant this will only motivate them in keeping up the good work. I thank you for becoming a part of our Vacation Club and we can´t wait for you to return we wait anxiously upon your arrival here at your home away from home!

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We visited the first week of June, and were again welcomed like family. The front desk staff is great....and we were booked into a gorgeous corner two bedroom suite. Fidel at the Iguana pool is the best! He and Olivia took such good care of us...and Rosaria too! Javier at the Marina restaurant made sure were always happy! The hotel itself was in great shape and beautiful as ever, but it is the staff who make such a difference in making our vacation such an unforgettable experience. We are already thinking about next year!! Hasta Luego!

Room Tip: We have stayed in many different rooms here, and all are lovely. The large suites are fabulous...s...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Chrisscookie,

Greeting from the warm beaches of Mazatlan,

I was so happy to hear you had such an enjoyable time, for it is our main objective to provide exceptional vacations, because if our guest are happy were happy. We treat everyone like family because that is what they are to us. I am so glad to hear you are considering coming back again next year. Please feel free to contact me if there is anything we can help you with in any future reservation we would be more than happy to help you. See you soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review in hopes to get in contact with anyone from the resort. I can only find the number for the timeshare. We had an excellent experience for the most part. We went for our honeymoon and everyone was very helpful and made our experience great until our last day there. We brought our wedding clothes and took pictures on the beach. We used the photographers that are at the resort. We were told to meet them in the morning before we flew home to look at pictures, and when we showed up they had lost the pictures and had to redo them so they said they would give us a discount and email proofs that we could pick from. So they did and we chose about 9 pictures that we liked, I sent them money and it has been a month and we still have not received the files so we can have our pictures. I cannot get ahold of the person who has them, Fernando took the pictures. Please help us, we loved our experience and this is making it feel a lot less like we want to return.

• Stayed May 2014
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

We went to the El Cid in Mazatlan really just for a week of rest and relaxation not expecting anything extroidinary. When we arrived....we were checked in by Ragelio at the desk. He was the most courteous person to EVER check us into a resort and we have been to numerous! He gave us a beautiful view from our room which we could not get enough of each morning while having coffee on the balcony. He was there to help with the internet when we needed it and to offer advise as to where we should go. I felt sad to even leave because I actually hated to say "Goodbye" to someone who had been so polite to us during our stay. I would recommend this resort to anyone and Mazatlan is a great city to visit. It is not as covered in tourist as Cancun or Cozumel so you actually get a better feeling of the history of the country. I hope this review helps anyone trying to decide where in Mexico to go. There are other El Cids in Mazatlan...but I am SO glad we chose this one. Respectfully....Barbara W.Dance

Room Tip: The ocean view there is spectacular from a higher lever....I would say fifth floors and up.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear TexaSundancer,

What a pleasant review, thank you a so much for your big recommendations. Your encouraging words and taking the time to write these positive comments!

Knowing that you noticed all the good points at our resort gives us another reason to come to work with a big smile and a great attitude. This is a result of a complete team effort, and your comments are an inspiration to us all that really help make El Cid the success it is. We establish an environment where great service is recognized and rewarded and poor service is challenged and rectified. Your review will be shared with all the staff. Rogelio at front desk received a great mentioned for his excellent check in and look forward to serving you and your family again soon.

Kind Regards.

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!