“Staff and Service is Great!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 70% Off
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Marysville, Michigan
“Staff and Service is Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This was our 4th time to the Marina. Hands down the best service of anywhere we have been. From Fidel and his crew at the pool to Olivia in Housekeeping, they made our family feel special. We had a wonderful 3 bdr overlooking the Ocean, a great beach, and did I mention the service is great. You just have to passover the timeshare stuff and enjoy the resort and the staff. Big thumbs up! The McLanes

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Dear, TheMcLane…

I can´t begin to express what your review means to me and all the staff. It is always nice to be recognized when you put in a little extra work and your wonderful comments can benefit enormously El Cid team atmosphere.
Olivia from housekeeping received a huge applause for their consistently great job, your comments about their amazing attitude and service make them earn it.

The next time you, a friend or family member visits Mazatlan, remember we are here to serve you!

Kind Regards,

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Holland, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

My first impression was WOW.....I stayed 7 ssh days and had the best stay ever! My husband and I decided to purchase a timeshare to visit el cid marina every year. Service and the friendly staff was 100%

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Juana R,

I have no words to explain how glad I feel about hear this awesome review about our hotel el Cid Marina. It is good to know that now you are part of our owner’s members and will be a pleasure assists you every year.

Kind Regards,

Isaías Gómez
Tracy, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

This was our first visit to El Cid Marina and we enjoyed our stay there. We traded in a RCI to this resort. First thing I would say is the service is the best, no where have I found better service. They really care in serving you and we noticed that the whole week of our stay. The resort and the rooms are clean, very nicely kept up and maintained. We went fishing on the Aries fleet and enjoyed the fishing, only caught a jack fish tuna that day.

I would recommend this place to anyone, its the service that really stood out to us.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor in the E building has stairs right to your room from the pool area.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kevin H,

"Nice Resort with GREAT service” which better description than this. First of all I will like to thanks to have taken the time to write this awesome review about our staff's service, rooms clean and fishing tour. I know our team will be more than happy to hear this comments that help us day by day improve our services and to continue offering you the best.

Isaías Gomez
SoCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Recently spent 4 nights at the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel. Although there was a little confusion at check in, everything else went smoothly. I stayed in the Castilla Tower. The room had a great view of the nightly stunning sunsets. The room was kept very clean.

The complex has an all inclusive option. The food there was generally very tasty. The waiters were very helpful and responsive. A special thank you to Guillermo who is very friendly and efficient. Although I dont drink a lot, the drinks I had, tasted good. It was very easy to get food or drink at anytime.

There were many activities going on during the day. The activity staff seemed very involved and friendly.

I recommend this hotel.....and I recommend Mazatlan. I felt very safe and the people were wonderful!

Room Tip: I preferred the Castilla Tower to the El Moro Tower
Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear beento50,

I will like to thank you for the review you are giving us because guests are the most important part of el Cid Resort. I feel glad to hear all your good comments about our service, staff, drinks, food and facilities.

I know the next time you come, your stay will be as good as last one and our staff will be part of it.

Best Regards,

Isaías Gómez,
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Went to El Cid Marina (nine days) for spring break with three kids 8,11 and 13. Good resort overall, but had a number of things I'd like to see improved. The rooms were nice, but had plenty of ants and lizards (3). Our room was on the fourth floor so I'd assume these would be worse on the first floor.

The pool had quite a bit of debris (tree leaves, napkins and other items), which was confusing as the staff appear to clean the pool every evening. These items were found just after they cleaned, so these weren't things that the wind blew in over the course of the following day.

Service was hit or miss. Some people were genuinely helpful, but others just wanted you to go away and would give you an answer to your question (right or wrong). The bar locations are the only places to get something to drink while at the pool or beach. Our kids were told on one of our days that the bar was "suddenly" for alcoholic drinks only. Never heard this any other day and was likely a way for the bartenders to not do kid drinks with no tips. Be sure to bring plenty of ones for tipping, although it's a tip it seems to be expected. I have a hard time tipping for a glass of ice water.

Food was ok, some days good some not so good. Of the four restaurants the Italian was easily the best food. The buffet in the main lobby was our second favorite. Of the four restaurants 2 are open during the day for breakfast and lunch. At dinner only one remained open as a buffet style, the others were reservation only. We found the reservation only to be a nuisance. We had a group of 10 and went to the "Greek" restaurant in the lobby and collectively we had not only the worst food, most of which went uneaten, but had to wait 2 hours. Not sure what the reservations do if you still have to wait 2 hours. All in All the reservations didn't make any sense to me. With kids flexibility is the critical, I would rather they keep another location open as a buffet in the evenings. Also went to the Mexican restaurant for dinner - this was ok, but talk to the waiter about what to order. Some items are simply not worth your time. When the workers know the food isn't that good, that should be a strong indicator to management that they should make a change. We were literally told not to order certain items because they weren't good. I'm sure management wouldn't want to hear their employees talking poorly about their food, but we as visitors appreciated the honesty. We found breakfast to be the best meal of the day.

Beach was nice with plenty of activities (volleyball, soccer, kayaks, paddle boards, etc) and bars. Water was ok, but had a number of large rocks in the ocean. We went swimming once and stayed in the pool but used the beach quite a bit.

I will admit there were employees cleaning the grounds all day long. Most areas are neatly maintained.

All in all it's a good resort, but next time we'll be going to another location for a better overall experience for our money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Trent S,

Thank you very much for have taken a few minutes of your time writing this feedback about your last stay with us. It is good to know that you had so much fun at our pool and beach activities and that you found most of our restaurants good.

I will like to clear some of the points you are giving me with this feedback. First, about the ants in the room, I definitely will check this with the manager of housekeeper because this is unacceptable, so our staff will take more care with the room cleanliness and the public areas.
Regarding about the food, i will like to tell you we are improving our menus so we can offer you a better quality and taste of food.

Something that is made me strange is your comment about some of our staff, they know our guest are the most important part of us and their expectation make us be better and continue offering quality services, I definitely will talk with them regarding this.

I ask for an apology from all of us to make part of el Cid, for any inconvenience you may have had during your stay. Hoping you will give us a second chance to change your mind and show you what el cid can offer you.

Best Regards,

Isaías Gómez
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

El Cid Marina Beach Mazatlan
We stayed 7 nights on INTERVAL TIMESHARE points (not all-inclusive)

Getting There: About $25 USD from the airport (290 pesos)

Checking in: Experience was average. I saw her write down our room number at 236 and asked her if we could change to the highest floor, and she gladly switched us to 415.

All-inclusive vs. not all-inclusive:
The front desk clerks asks you if you would like to the All-inclusive package and show you the list of alcohol and restaurants that their bracelet is valid at. The cost was $60 CDN per person per day. I highly recommend NOT doing All-inclusive if you like to get off the resort and see the town and experience more than 6 restaurants. Even if you’re big drinkers you would be fine not choosing all-inclusive. If you’re here for a week by the time you buy groceries/liquor you’re about the same.
Here’s a breakdown of costs:
Grocery store (go to Mega grocery store – just like a Loblaws/Superstore in Canada) – here a 12 pack of beer is $9.00., eggs are$3, fruit is cheap, and you can get healthy snacks than what is offered at the resort. There is not much on any menu for salads and healthy option on the El Cid Marina poolside menus.
Most restaurants in the “Golden Zone” are priced the same - Beer is $2.00 - $3.00 USD, mahi mahi and other fish filet dinner with rice will be $14 – 16. Hamburgers, sandwiches & fries are $8 - 11. Margarita - $5 – 6 each.
One of our favourite: F.I.S.H. restaurant – excellent seafood restaurant – fresh shrimp tacos are $2.50 each, mahi mahi dinner platter is $13, beer is $2.00.
Transportation to get to the golden zone restaurants – free – just take the EL Cid shuttle that brings you to the other El Cid Castille – right in the heart of great restaurants.
Doing the math, you can see it may be a stretch to come up with $60 USD per person per day, especially if you’re not big drinkers like us. The Canadian dollar goes far.

Timeshare pitch:
As soon as you turn around from checking in, an El Cid rep is ready to offer you a timeshare pitch. The lady who asked us started out with about transportation to the airport, and offered dinner credit of $50 on the resort. All and all about $90 USD value bribe to get us interested. We kindly declined and I said I am already a timeshare owner. She was fine and let us be on our way. The next day we were approached again, and I said if you can throw in Ziplining and ATV (total value of $200 USD) we may be interested. They said they couldn’t, so we never ended up going to a timeshare pitch – yay!

ROOM: Very nice King bedroom unit with concrete balcony. We were in Building G – would have preferred something closer to the ocean, so ask for buildings A – D and a high floor. 1st and 2nd floors you would have to keep your drapes closed as people can see right in all of the time.

KITCHEN: Full stainless steel fridge. 2 burner stove top – no oven. You need to wash your own dishes or pay $3 USD per day for the maid to clean them.

BED: Comfortable for Mexico and extra blankets in the closet were great to have just in case. Flat screen in bedroom and living room offered movie channel at night. Basic alarm clock. Bring your own iphone charger/docking station.

BATHROOM: Nice with a 2 separate his and hers sinks in different areas. Toilet area has the shower in it as well. Floor was all tile, so bring indoor flip flops to keep feet comfortable. Blow Dryer is a wall unit, so may want to bring your own. Honey scented shampoo, conditioner and body lotion were supplied along with bars of soap – may want to bring your own body wash.

Getting to the BEACH – this is not a beach front property. You have to take the water taxi consistently running in between the two docks (50 meters away from each other) which takes you from the El Cid Marina sidewalk to the dock of the El Cid Marina Beach area. See photos. When you get to the beach there are more blue pool chairs and bar and food service.

BEACH: Was lovely and quiet. Slope was a little steeper than the beach in the Golden Zone. The beach is more a little more rough/wavy than the El Cid Moro beach, so good for boogie boarding if you want waves. For a nice calm beach day, take the free Shuttle to El Cid Moro Beach – but you’ll be hounded by vendors there. Barely any vendors at El Cid Marina beach.

POOL: Both Very nice. The far one (near Building A – C) is cold not heated, so quite refreshing and it has caves for playing in. I’m sure some x-rated things have gone on in those caves at night in the pool. Waterslides and diving make this pool a really fun place for teens/kids. The other main pool is right in front of buildings E – H. This has a baby pool area for toddlers, and also hosts volleyball every day at 1pm. and bingo, trivia. Did you check out my photo of the poolside bathrooms - gorgeous and always clean - these bathrooms are nicer than the ones in your suite.

In comparison to the El Cid Moro /Castille, our El Cid Marina pools are much more quiet with no crazy DJs trying to get you to play a different game/sport every hour. We hung out at the Moro/Castille property and although the pool is much larger at that property, the Marina pool is better for peace and quiet. With the El Cid Marina pools, the downfall is that the sun goes down over the building at around 4:30pm, compared to the Moro/Castille where the sun stays on the pool until 6:00 PM.

RESTAURANTS: Only ate poolside (since we were not all-inclusive) and poolside is just ok. The main restaurant is fabulous according to the other guests.

LOCATION: It was very quiet and at far end of town – but not as remote as the RIU which is at the end of the town. With only 2 -3 restaurants, you would need to take the shuttle to the other El Cid Moro in the heart of town for any entertainment and food, or you can walk about 15 min to get to decent restaurants. $7 cab ride to Walmart and movie theatre area. Bus is $1 into old town and you want to always get on the green Sabalo Centro labeled bus.

Laundry: Available at the end of the resort for 10 pesos per load (I never used, but the guests staying in their yachts at the Marina use it)

Supermarket at the resort – isn’t really a supermarket. Actually all stores labeled supermarkets are really convenience stores. Butter and pop at the supermarket on the resort was $1.00 USD, so fairly reasonable priced items for a resort store.

WIRELESS INTERNET: 330 pesos for the week ($30 USD) for the week PER device and it was up and down and not very good at all. Unreliable at night. As I write this by the pool on my last day, the signal is actually pretty good today. Every building has its own signal.

SHUTTLE SERVICE: Awesome runs 7:00 AM – 10:45PM on demand and/or every few minutes.

EXCURSION: Going to Deer Island? Book it through the front desk and the boat is already at the Marina, just walk out your unit and hop on!

RECYCLING – Note to Management: Nowhere in Mexico recycles, why not start with El Cid resorts – be a leader and at least offer plastic and bottle recycling on the resort. Such a shame Mazatlan is so far behind in this initiative and sad that your guests want to recycle, and can’t.

OVERALL Mazatlan opinion: Very safe, Sunday – Wednesday the restaurants close around 9pm and stores around 8pm. More happening Thursday – Saturday.

Casinos – We went to two. The Arenas casino is lame with only slot machines. The Monte Carlo Casino in the Golden Zone is a little better because it has an electronic roulette table. None of the slot machines at either place had an arm to pull on – lame. That’s the fun of slot machines.

Mazatlan Restaurant Recommendations:
Lucky B’s – owned by 1 Canadian & 2 US guys – great quality food!
F.I.S.H. – seafood affordable with live band Thurs – Saturday.
Pedro & Lola’s in the Machado square – nice quality food and great date night!
Diesel cars – bad fumes a lot of the time when you’re walking the strip.
16% sales tax – ouch! So if you’re big into budgeting, add that to your total.

OVERALL RESORT – If you have teenagers and like the night life and calmer beach perhaps stay at the El Cid Moro so you’re walking distance to everything – although it’s not a big deal to get on the shuttle (unless there is a big group of you).
If you have small children and prefer pool time, making meals in the kitchen, stay at El Cid Marina.

Either way El Cid service is excellent and you'll enjoy no matter which property of theirs you choose!

Room Tip: Ask for high floor as people can see right in the 1 and 2 level living rooms of most units.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Ringettechick

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your positive and detailed feedback very much. I am glad to hear you found our rooms to be spacious and the beds to be quite comfortable. I see you were able to go outside our resorts and try some of our local restaurants to get a taste of the find foods Mazatlan has to offer it seems like you got the full on experience going on the excursions and visiting the Islands. Your comments in regards to recycling will definitely be taken into consideration. I hope you had a pleasant return home. We look forward in seeing you again.

Kind regards,
Goshen, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Paradise! Enjoyed every second of this wonderful vacation. Food & service excellent. Fidel goes above & beyond to make sure every guest feels special @ the pool bar. The excellent housekeeper Olivia room was spotless & she is the best, friendly & really takes pride in the room looking exceptional. Enjoyed the all inclusive & other El Cid restaurants the best was El Cid Marina stuffed shrimp so Yummy!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
GMELCID, Director General at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear, Ny-Snowflakes,

Paradise is truly what Mazatlan is with its amazing scenery of culture and beaches what more can you ask for right? Its great to hear that you found our hotel to be such a great place and that you were so fond of our Restaurant maybe in a future visit you well have a chance to visit our other cuisines I am almost positive you will also find them quite delicious. I couldn’t be more proud of Fidel and Olivia for making sure you guys were well attended and met your satisfaction. I will definitely congratulate them! We hope you visit us again soon.

Kind regards,
Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!