“Beautiful Resort - Amazing Pool & Employees” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Resort - Amazing Pool & Employees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

This resort is absolutely gorgeous. The views are stunning. My family and I stayed at this resort for 6 days and I have to say, we didn't ever want to go home. We stayed in the presidential suite. Let me tell you, this is the place to be. We had a huge room with a second floor observation deck with 360 views of the entire resort, ocean and the city of Mazatlan. The observation deck was on the very top of the hotel with a private 8-10 person Jacuzzi and even our own personal gas grill. It was amazing. We all though we died and went to heaven.
The staff was extremely courteous and always pleasant. We didn't know very much Spanish upon arrival, but by the last day, all of us knew all the important words and phrases. The staff all spoke English very well so we really didn't need to learn Spanish, but it was fun to anyways.
There is really only 1 restaurant at this resort, but it was wonderful to eat breakfast and dinner there everyday. There was a different theme every evening (buffet style) and for breakfast, eggs and omelets were MTO... and were fabulous BTY. We really didn't see the need to go anywhere else during our stay. However, we did venture out one evening and tried a local restaurant called Ernies. The food there was better than any restaurant I have ever been to in the states. We also felt completely safe venturing out on our own, even though you may hear some bad things about doing this.
Now to the pool. I can really just sum it up as amazing. There are 2 sides to the pool divided by a man-made grotto/cave. The water flows over the top on both sides with a waterfall and you can even swim though one side to the other.
The beach was very nice too, however, I like the calm Caribbean waters, and this was not. My family however really enjoyed the waves and the water was very clear and clean. There are 2 downsides to the beach... one is you have to get on a water taxi to get there and back and the second is, the vendors on the beach are relentless. They come back to you everyday and multiple times. It was very annoying when all we wanted to do was relax, but all and all the beach was very nice.
My family and I loved this vacation so much, we are already planning to return next year if possible.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear: cvyper304

We really appreciate your feedback and detailed description of our services, rooms and facilities and are glad that you have spent an enjoyable and relaxing time at our hotel.

The pride of our staff is evident in the cleanliness of our guestrooms and suites, as well as in the smiles on the faces of our associates in the Front Desk, The Marina Restaurant and Pool Snack Bar. They are constantly striving to improve upon how they perform their jobs. I have shared your comments with them and I know they will take them to heart. A caring and well-trained staff truly makes all the difference.

I regret your comments about the inconvenient with the water taxi and the beach vendors, we are reinforced the security in that area to prevent this situation for a futures traveler’s.
We hope you will make another trip to Mazatlan and return to the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel.

Warm Greetings

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have reviewed this resort in 2008 (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150792-d152916-Reviews-El_Cid_Marina_Beach_Hotel-Mazatlan_Pacific_Coast.html). That was the last time we had stayed there. Five years later, and there are some changes, yet some things still the same. First, the things that have changed....

No cruise ships. From what I understand, they will be returning. They were stopped by several cruise lines due to the drug cartel issues. I’m hoping they will be reinstated permanently. No cruise ships has affected the Mazatlan economy quite negatively. In a way, this negative impact has a positive impact on the people that come to stay at the resorts and hotels. For the biggest impact, many of the businesses are moving north, especially restaurants. The restaurants that want to survive have moved from the Golden Zone, northward, toward El Cid Marina. A great example is Ernie’s. However, at least one restaurant has maintained its presence in the Golden Zone and has a location more toward El Cid Marina is Pancho’s. The Golden Zone location has the beach, which is really great. Both locations have excellent food.

Anyhow... summary: Golden Zone seemed to be fading away, while businesses move northward.

As for things that are the same... beaches are very nice, and the city seems the same as it has always been (at least for the past 13 years): peaceful, and always a good time. If you stay on the main drags, there are no reasons to worry about getting attacked by drug cartels. One morning I took about a 2 mile walk from Marina El Cid to the Golden Zone. Mellow and uneventful.

As for El Cid Marina itself, I was a bit disappointed that they had not updated all of their rooms in the same style that I had raved about in my review 5 years ago. Still the same, drab decor. I was also disappointed in the fact that they could not get us into a better unit. We are timeshare owners of a “lock-off”, which is basically a junior suite and a one-bedroom suite combined. The unit we got was much smaller than ones in the past. Although we tried for the first 2 days to get a larger unit, we ended up deciding it wasn’t worth the hassle.

One of the big differences from 5 years ago is the lack of “Agua Purificada” signs above the vanity sinks. What? They always used to be there. Did the water suddenly become “unpurified”? We always drank the water out of those faucets in the past without issues. Now it seems they want to sell you purified bottled water. Us being loco gringos, we don’t know any better, and certainly would not want to get Montezuma’s revenge! When you ask for an explanation, they, of course, recommend buying the bottled water.

All in all we enjoyed ourselves very very much once we settled in. The resort is maintained well, and staff is helpful and friendly.

By the way, I should mention that the average age of the people staying at El Cid Marina was probably 55 to 60. Not that I’m complaining; it makes for a quiet, relaxing vacation. :-)

Room Tip: I would avoid higher level floors, unless you want a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear: DLandDL

Thank you for your honest opinions on your recent stay.
We are very fortune to be able to live in such a great city Such as Mazatlan, it’s a great city full of beautiful beaches and culture there is always something to do from visiting our Island such as Deer Island and Stone Island to visiting such amazing architecture buildings such as our cathedrals down town, I’m delighted you felt safe here and we to hope that the cruise ships come really soon so they too can explore Mazatlan and know there is nothing to fear. I regret you were not pleased with your stay and the resort did not live up to your expectations. We have been working on some renovations on our rooms but it unfortunate you were not able to see our improvements. We recommend bottled water because it is a much safer and more sanitary way to drink waters also to insure it is 100 percent clean and purified, but I’d like to mention that if you have an all inclusive plan you do not need to purchase water it is free the only water that has a charge are the 2 water bottles in your room this is only because it is part of a foundation we have here at the hotel, We put a little note on the bottle that explains it all as well as the coffee in the room. We always strive to make sure each stay as close to perfection as and we will continue to work hard in this direction.

Cordially,

Isaias Gomez.
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Marina El CID from November 16 to Dec. 01, 2012 and from check-in to check-out we were treated like ROYALTY!
The resort took care of the wonderful transportation from the airport (mid-day and air conditioned) and after a seamless check-in and issuance of our elite AI bracelets by the ever-so-helpful Rogelio, we were taken to our 2 BR suite by the amazing porter "Israel" on the 3rd floor which both overlooked the pool and the marina with a spectacular 200 degree view! What a helpful and friendly person! Our concierge "Jorge" was always ready to please whenever we needed something, required a reservation or just needed to ask a question. Dining was amazing with a different twist on flavours every meal... and you have not lived until you have a Mexican coffee prepared by "Xavier" (a work of art!) who is the go-to guy in the resort for food, drink or specially prepared items of any kind.
Senior staff members Jacob and Ernesto can and will move mountains for you and provide you with a vacation experience second to none.
Pool activities were plentiful with 2-3 hours of volleyball every day with people from all over the world and Anarely, Arlete and Mariza provided exercises, activities and wonderfully enchanting conversation with genuine smiles at all times. Pool service was OUTSTANDING and Miguel and Abraham are so nice and provide such excellent service that we wanted to adopt the both of them and Anarely and Arlete!
If you go in late November, we participated in 2 turtle releases (one at the El Moro and the other at Marina) which was a highlight of our trip.
When we were there, the president of Mexico arrived for a stay and the staff ensured that there was a little disruption for the guest as possible. As well, the resort garnered "the cleanest resort in Mexico" distinction during our stay - and they deserve it! Amazing meals, plentiful sunshine, amazing scenery, fireworks (this is a major wedding destination) and an ideal location are all tied together by the most wonderful people, staff and service. I have no idea what others say about safety in Mexico....we walked the beaches, the town and resorts of EL CID in Mazatlan and never had an incident of any kind.... our home town of Vancouver is far more dangerous! We will be back to sun, service and smiles again this November... but this time for 3 weeks! Thank you EL CID Marina!

Room Tip: I prefer the 3rd floor as there is no-one above you. We are very early risers and are mindful of tho...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear: AndyandJo-Ann

Thank you very much for the thumbs up on our resort, we value everyone’s thoughts and perception, I am so pleased to hear that from the moment you walked in to the resort you were treated as you should be like Royalty we want nothing more than to make our guest feel as comfortable as possible in attending their every need. Rogelio as well as the rest of the staff you previously mentioned will be giving the recognition they deserve for the outstanding service I’m glad they were a big impact on your stay. As far as the activities here in our hotel it sounds like you really enjoyed they and our turtle release are always a fun new learning experience. It’s great that you enjoyed our food as well as our traditional coffee. We are indeed a wonderful escape for those coming from afar or even a few miles away and its good that you found
Mazatlan to be safe it’s a wonderful city . We appreciate your wonderful comments and we can´t wait to host you again we will be waiting here at your “Home away from Home”.

Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

This was my second time staying at this wonderful hotel. My family celebrated ten glorious days here with first class service. My father is disabled and uses a motorized scooter to get around. The staff was more than accommodating and went out of their way to help him/us enjoy his stay. I'd like to personally thank Ramon at the pool for his great service, Rojelio at the front desk for being so gracious and helpful, Jose and Pedro for helping arrange things and for helping my Dad with his scooter, Daniel who gave us fantastic service in the bar area and who brought down our meals from the restaurant above since my father could not walk up the stairs to the restaurant, and Victoria at the Marina restaurant for making breakfast time so enjoyable. The food and sheer amount of choices was excellent. The service we received was first class! We had three one bedroom suites booked and each room had a large balcony. Our rooms were meticulously cleaned everyday and we found the housekeeping staff to be very friendly. A shout out to the room service guys who made several trips to our rooms with delicious meals and ice cream! I will return for a third stay and I encourage anyone who is planning a vacation in Mexico - especially Mazatlan - to stay at the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear: Worldtraveler77240

We would like to thank you for choosing El Cid Marina Beach Hotel as a place to stay with your family for a party of 10 days!

It’s so pleasant to read your experience was a positive one and our team was helpful and courteous to help you in any needs you could have. Ramon, Rogelio, Jose, Pedro, Daniel and Victoria received a great mention for their hard effort!

We were absolute delighted to read key points that have made our guests stay enjoyable and I appreciated the comment about the F&B, our comfortable rooms, great views, and maid service exceeded your expectations.

We can’t wait having with us again in your 3th visit for a more great experience.

Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was the first time we visited Mexico and the resort has excellent :
shuttle service/valet service
food/food servers
security
concierge (above excellent)
housecleaning
pools/pool servers
Without a doubt we will return.We had a great time!

Room Tip: Pool/Marina Front
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear: Durwood755

We really appreciated your encouraging words and taking the time to write these positive comments!

The most pleasing aspect of your review was in regards to your interactions with our staff; customer service is what we pride ourselves in and we are pleased that we were able to make your stay more comfortable and pleasurable.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel this month and I do hope I have the opportunity of meeting you.

Cavan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've just returned from a 10 night family holiday to El Cid Marina and it was more than I could have hoped for. Everything from start to finish was just wonderful. The accommodation was very spacious, we had a one bedroom suite with an adjoining junior suite which gave us plenty of space for our family of five. Upon arrival to our room we had a welcome letter with a beautiful bowl of fruit. We opted for the all inclusive option and found the food and the choice of food to be both plentiful and delicious. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful and always had a smile on their faces. There was entertainment all day long at the shallow pool with lovely friendly entertainers, a special thanks to Marcella for the aqua aerobics!
Both the pools were spotless and the grounds beautifully maintained.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear: Irisheyes21

Wow! What a pleasant review. Thank you so much for choosing our Hotel on a Party of 5. We are extremely delighted that you feel your stay with us and our service was excellent! Our many amenities, comfortable accommodations and prime location are unbeatable!

It is great to receive all feedback from past guest experiences and your comments truly reflect our daily efforts to be the best in all we do. I will share your comments with our staff especially thanks to Marcela from activities team.

If there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please don’t hesitate to let any of our staff members know how we can make your stay even better.

Sincere thanks for being our guest and we very much hope to welcome you back soon.

Post Falls, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My two young children and I just had a fabulous 8 night stay at the Marina. All of our expectations were exceeded. The room was spotless every day, the pools crystal clear, & the grounds very well maintained. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Sadly, we decided to spend our 2nd week at another El Cid property, the El Moro beach hotel. What a mistake that was! We were very disappointed. The service & quality was severely lacking. We wanted to move back immediately. Next year we will stay at the Marina for our entire 2 week stay. The staff at the Marina really seem to enjoy their jobs & the guests. The environment is fun, yet peaceful & safe. This hotel is perfect for both older adults and groups with young kids.

• Stayed June 2013
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear: jeninidaho

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.com following your recent visit with us.

It is so nice to hear that our efforts are appreciated and we truly wish to thank you for taking the time to reward us with your kindness. On behalf of the staff thank you so much for being our guest and for showing your appreciation.

Your comments about your experience at El Moro Hotel were already addressed. We continue to make updates and improvements to the hotel and value the feedback. Comments may not always be positive but allow us to evaluate and make decisions based on our guest’s feedback.

Please let us know when we have the privlege of having you back! If there is anything I can do for you during any future visits, please do not hesitate to ask for me. I look forward to seeing you at our hotel again soon!

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!