“Nice relaxing vacation for family” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #1 of 76 hotels in Mazatlan
austin
“Nice relaxing vacation for family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was a nice resort. There were many families with young kids. The food was healthy and fresh. There were many options in salads, fresh fruit, chicken, steak, fish grilled to order. Many paleo options for those who want to continue to look nice in a swimsuit after their vacation. :)

The workout room was okay. Very limited free weights. I took several spinning classes that were good workouts. I wish they had some crossfit classes to offer. It would have been fun to workout on the beach.

What I liked best about the place was the fact that it was small. Nice to be so close to the beach. I heard they are expanding. I hope this doesn't change the feel of the place.
I would consider returning which is saying something because I never visit the same place twice.

The beach was rocky as stated in other posts. Might be a concern for some. I liked being so close to the airport.

• Stayed June 2013

826 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

we have been going there for years and take the family and friends and really have a wonderful time and the food is very good and also lots of places in walking distance for food
and if you can not walk just get in a cab and they will take you any where you want to
yes and the drinks are very good also we always have a wonderful time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear: 53beth

Thank you for your kind words. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. Mazatlan is a wonderful place to explore; we really appreciated to know that you are able to enjoy the real life in our beautiful port.

We look forward to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Best regards

Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Note - I was very hesitant traveling to Mexico, having read all of the press about violence in recent years. My wife, on the other hand, knows people who vacation in Mazatlan every year and they swear it is safe as long as you aren't stupid about where you go and what you seek - like any other city you might visit. Based on our experience, I would concur. We just returned from a 12 day stay at the El Cid Marina Resort in Mazatlan. It was just what the Doctor ordered. We had been looking for an all inclusive that we could afford and this resort fulfilled our wishes. The staff were wonderful, from our arrival to our departure everyone was smiling, helpful, tolerant of our attempts at speaking Spanish, and truly a joy to be around. As we became more adventurous the staff helped us choose the best transportation for our needs and gave us excellent advice. Of special note were: Jose Luis, our evening waiter in the Marina's main restaurant. He treated us like old friends instead of guests and that felt great; Abraham and Miguel - poolside waiters at the Calypso bar - they answered our every need and never failed to fulfill a special request; Fidel, El Capitan of the Iguana pool bar where we frequently ate lunch, made sure that our every request was fulfilled. Basically, the staff totally spoiled us.

The rooms were comfortable, spacious, clean, and comfortable. The bed, while comfortable, is very firm. When I first lay down on it, I was sure I wouldn't sleep for the entire vacation. As it turned out, I slept great and never awoke with back pain like I sometimes do at home.

The food at the restaurant was good and the menu varies enough that you don't get in a rut. That being said, we felt the need to venture to the other El Cid restaurants at El Moro and Castilla to see what they were like as well. Our favorite restaurant was the Alcazar Italian restaurant at the Castilla. Jorge was the most excellent waiter and, on our second night of dining there, even had the chef make us a special dessert pizza. Jorge also serves a most excellent Special Mexican Coffee that all should try. If birds bother you, do not eat on the balcony of the marina restaurant - they are everywhere. We thought it was cool but others may not.

I don't know what other "all inclusive" plans include but the all inclusive plan at El Cid doesn't include everything. Most notably some better steaks, lobster, and shrimp were not included in the meal plan. WiFi is extra but they do have a computer room where you can use their equipment. Room Service is not included but they are good about asking what color wrist band you have before they supply the service - giving you the choice of paying extra or not.

All in all, we had a great stay. We met many wonderful people in the staff, the local population, other vacationers, and the expats living in the marina. We had plenty to eat, enough to drink, and the most restful vacation ever. Normally we tend not to return to a location we have visited before because there is just too much out there to see, but Mazatlan and El Cid Resorts may be the exception.

Room Tip: We stayed in the building nearest the restaurant so we had little view of the ocean but a nice view...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear: dan b

Thank you for contributing with all your valuable observations about our facilities there are many good reasons for us to keep doing what we do in service industry, and you just gave us another inspiration to keep up with it.

We always try to have the most exemplarily people who enjoy doing what they do. Rests assure that the people you previously mentioned will be given the recognition they deserve. I am glad you found our installations to be accommodating for you.

In regards to the all inclusive I’d just like to clear up that we indeed have 2 types of all inclusive packages one being the all inclusive and the other all inclusive elite, The all inclusive elite package allows you to consume in all four hotels those being Granada, Marina, Castilla, as well as Moro, it also allows you to dine at La Concha which is exclusively for Elite members, you are also registered in a Vip office no Lines quick and easy hassle free, unfortunately no package that we have includes the wifi this is because we have an external company that is in the facilities that are always on duty to help if there happens to be problems with the internet.

With that being said I would like to once again thank you for your feedback we really appreciate your outlook on our hotel we hope to assist you again.

Kind Regards,

Northern Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We exchanged into a 1- bedroom unit (321) with a great view of the main pool and the marina. Nice sized kitchen with fridge, stove top, blender, toaster, coffee maker. No dishwasher, but they provided dish soap. Huge marble table with seating for at least four. There was a charge for their coffee but we brought some from home, so we just put theirs aside. Patio entrance from both the living area and the bedroom. Very comfy bed with a nice heavy duvet. They have upgraded the tvs with flat screens in the living area, however, they still had a large set in the bedroom which worked just fine. Huge closet, two full set of drawers along with two nightstands provided plenty of storage. The room came with a clock radio, in room safe and hair dryer and ironing board/iron. Wireless access was $30 for the week.

I liked the setup of the bathroom areas. One full sink area off the bedroom area and a second sink area outside the bedroom next to the toilet/shower room. I could get up and shower and blow dry my hair in the morning and my husband could still sleep in the other room! Huge tiled walk in shower with nice pressure.

Unit was in great condition as was the condition of the entire resort. Everything was clean, landscaping was perfectly manicured. Pools were fresh and clean. No problems at all with check-in or check-out. Never had a wait for anything that we needed from the front desk.

The resort was very quiet the week we were there. I saw a board with planned activities listed on it, however, I actually never saw anybody actually participating in anything organized (not to say they didn’t have it, we might have just missed it!)! We did visit the El Cid Moro pool area one day, and I did see an entire afternoon of activities with adults and children both participating there.

Pools/Beach – Spent several days at each of the two marina pools. Both pools were clean and warm. Now the hot tub was HOT! Usually we go on vacation and the jets don’t work and the water is lukewarm, not here. The water was hot enough that my slightly sunburnt feet didn’t even want to go in! We seemed to have more fun over at the Iquana pool, but not sure why – maybe it was the iguanas! There is a Happy Hour each afternoon which rotated each hour between the beach and the two pools and then on to the marina bar.

We took the two minute water shuttle over to the El Cid Marina beach one afternoon. Very good bar service and food over there also. Also spent one day over at the El Cid Moro pool for a little bit of variety. Very busy, lots of people, definitely more of a party atmosphere!

The staff at the marina restaurant was outstanding. We never ate off of the dinner menu, however, we had two nights of freshly caught fish (one night Mahi Mahi and one night Marlin) prepared by the resort chef. Both nights were delicious. The waiters (Daniel and Jose) were tons of fun! We did eat at the breakfast buffet a few times. One morning it was extremely busy as it seemed a convention had checked in for the weekend. Despite the crowds, there was a variety and ample supply of everything. We had snacks and or lunch poolside – service and food were great at both pools! They served awesome ceviche poolside!

Store - Small onsite store. Most of your basics were available. Pop, limited brands of liquor, dairy, paper products, bread, snacks.

Coffee Shop – There was a little coffee shop down by the harbormaster building. I would recommend that they open up ½ hour earlier each day and they would probably double their business providing early morning coffee for the fishing charter boats!

Aries Fishing Fleet – We went fishing with the Aries III crew of Martin and Julio. Caught a large mahi mahi and it was a beautiful day for a boat ride! If you wish, order a box lunch the night before from the restaurant.

Optional All-Inclusive: I would recommend getting a detailed list of the restaurants that your particular all-inclusive wristbands allow and at which El Cid resorts. They have several colors of wristbands and they all represent something different. It was slightly confusing. And made it very hard to try and eat with other couples who all had all-inclusive, but just different colors. I think if you know when you get there exactly where and when you can eat, you will be fine. The paperwork in the rooms was a little outdated and even the servers were a little confused at times. If you only are eating at the El Cid Marina, I think that you would be perfectly fine, it just got confusing when you tried to venture out to the other El Cid resorts and their restaurants.

Staff was the best! From Maricarmen on the way to the resort to all of the bartenders and waiters and the chef and the bellboys and housekeeping – we never had to ask twice for anything! I cannot remember everyone’s names – but Lupita, Francisco, Juan, Maricarmen, Nadia, Jose, Daniel and Fidel just to name a few!

The marina area seemed further out of town on the map before we got there. But it is actually very convenient to all city activities. It is a short pulmonia ride to the Golden Zone and just another few minutes to el Centro. We never had to wait more than five minutes for a shuttle to any of the other resorts.

It would say that this resort is most suitable for young families and couples wanting to relax. We are in our late 40s and honestly were about the youngest people at the resort this particular week.

I would recommend taking a pulmonia ride somewhere, take the City Tour, walk the Malecon one afternoon and spend a day on the beach!

Room Tip: We liked our room 321 overlooking the pool and marina - however, if you want an ocean view you need...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear:jameless

Thank you for sharing your insights. We appreciate you taking the time in writing this review for this not only helps us see our high points but our weaknesses as well not to mention it also a way to let our fellow viewers know what we have to offer so they can come and give us a try next time they want to come visit Mazatlan.

We like to make lasting impressions and it seems like we were successful. I’d like to touch on a comment you mentioned having to do with the wrist band and its many color the reason for this is here in El Cid we host many events such as congresses, and business meetings as well as school trips, so this is just a way we came up with to keep things under control but I will have a talk with my staff so we can be a bit more clear on the information given once checking in so this will not be a problem in a near future.

As far as my staff rest assures that they will be congratulated on their hard labor. Thank you for giving us a full on over view on your observations throughout the hotel we work hard to always try and have everything in the best conditions we possibly can but there is always room for improvement.

We hope you come and visit us again we cannot wait to host you once more and make your stay yet again a memorable one.

Traverse City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I wish to knowledge Jorge Zendejas, VIP Coordinator, for his outstanding service to us. Jorge is very personable and extremely service minded. We would return to our room to find that Jorge had left us treats for that evening. My husband enjoyed picking his brain regarding wines because Jorge is very diversified in his wine repertoire. What stands out the most was when we arrived at the airport and discovered we had left one of our suitcases in the closet back at the resort. A quick call to Jorge, he found and had a taxi deliver us our luggage. For this I am forever thankful! We knew that he was very busy and dropped everything to make sure we were top priority. Jorge is on top of his game and is one of the best assets that El Cid has to offer!

We had a wonderful experience meeting Rigo Zatarain, waiter in the main dining room at El Cid Marina. We looked forward to dining with his presence. Rigo is very professional and pleasant to converse with during the dinner time. We really experienced fantastic service and his dinner suggestions were perfect for each evening. Rigo greets everyone with an open smile and genuine interest in providing the best experience in his dining room! Ladies, I have traveled many places and Rigo is the only waiter that has the woman taste the wine prior to serving! (Generally, it is the man that gets this honor.) How does he make each table feel like they are the only ones in the dining room?

El Cid Moro, has an energetic waiter at the poolside eatery, Francisco. He presented himself as the most confident waiter--humorous and reliable. He kept everything going between the guests and the other waiters. Francisco surely enjoys his work and everyone around him. I am certain that he is very well liked by all.

El Cid Moro, we discovered Bello Ramon Ramikez, he was our waiter during the day at LA Concha. So friendly and outgoing. We were able to enjoy our meal in a very relaxing environment. Ramon was perfect at his timing of serving drinks/lunch. We so wanted to have our last luncheon with him, but we ran out of time. Ramikez met us one afternoon and recognized us each time we return--very nice.

The shuttle service between all El Cid resorts is perfect and makes travel soooo easy! The entire staff is always busy helping one another and/or keeping the grounds very attractive. Truly everything is clean and is in great shape. We will make this our annual vacation spot for 2 weeks!

Room Tip: Just state what your wishes are and they will go out of their way to get you the room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear: PattyMTraverseCity

We were thrilled to read your amazing words about our employees at El Cid Resort, with much gratitude; it is a delight to hear of pleasant experiences from devoted guests.

We are most grateful for your very kind comments. We love to read your review which is very important to us in order to evaluate our performance! Great to hear also that you enjoyed our hotel surroundings.

Our preferred address with minutes from everywhere has indeed provided many travelers, greatest travelling convenience! One of the best parts about Mazatlan is the endless exploration possibilities.

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service staff and restaurants experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team, specially Jorge Zendejas, Rigo Zatarain, Francisco Rentería and Ramon Ramirez.

Please do contact me in advance if you are planning to come back to Mazatlan, I will be pleased to welcome you personally at El Cid Marina beach Hotel!

Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Beautiful setting. Quiet except for one night when other guests were rudely yelling while we were trying to sleep. All staff very friendly, accommodating and helpful. Mr. Rueda at front desk is exceptionally helpful. Food very good and plentiful. Beach via short water taxi (free) very nice and quiet and good for long walks.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear: Margo C

As always we love to hear from our guests and appreciate any helpful tips you can offer. We
are glad to hear how much you have enjoyed our hotel!

We are happy to know that our caring staff and services made your trip enjoyable. The team will appreciate knowing that they met your expectations. You help keep us energized to continue to provide superb service and create the atmosphere we so desire.

I regret your inconvenience with the other guest disturbing on the hallways, we take your comment into consideration and strength the areas with more security to prevent this happen to the futures guest, and actually Marina Hotel stands out especially for a quiet place to relax.
We are looking forward to welcoming you next time,

Carbondale, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Marina with friends just last week for our belated honeymoon and we had good and bad experiences. First, the grounds are absolutely beautiful and the rooms are well kept and have great views to watch the boats coming and going from the marina. The food was average but we weren't vacationing to eat...lol... The market on the grounds is well stocked and each gift shop has many items to drool over....:) but I recommend going out to other areas to have the opportunity to bargain with vendors. That was the most fun, for me. However, the best part of the marina is the staff. I have a disability and travel with a power wheelchair. This presented a great deal of problems both at the marina and elsewhere... I cannot express the gratitude and respect I have for EVERYONE that was part of the Marina staff in one review. We now consider many of them friends. At the lobby, Avisai, Jose Ramon, Juan, Armando, Edgar....there are others I am forgetting at the moment.....deserve more than any thank you I can ever give them. They went out of their way to help my husband and I with my wheelchair as it had to be lifted into a truck or shuttle for me to go anywhere and it is HEAVY. Jose and Armando made connections with others to help with transportation and places I could go. Armando went out and bought anything (a smaller beach chair that the lounges available at the resort) that I would have needed if I had been able to get to the beach. Because we were, more or less, stranded at the hotel, Miguel and Abraham at the Calypso snack bar were so accommodating! When they saw me coming, they had my usual order ready and at the table when I got there. I had special requests that they NEVER forgot and if they didn't have something at their area that I requested, one of them ALWAYS ran to the main restaurant. The generosity of the entire staff made up for the bad parts of the trip. However, as good as the goods were, there were bads, too. Using a power wheelchair, I spent a great deal of time in communication with various front desk staff letting them know of my situation and needs. Our room was very nice but not at all set up for a chair user. The bathroom and shower were difficult to navigate and I did not have a handheld shower head as I had requested and assured was not a problem. None were available at the resort. The balconies were lovely but had a step. The main restaurant was on the second floor of the main building that had no elevator. The Marina has a private beach accessible by water taxi or shuttle. I could not get into the water taxi but even if I could, the beach side had a flight of stairs to climb after exiting the boat. Taking a shuttle to the other side was an option but that required taking someone with us to help lift my chair out of the shuttle only to have a very long walk through sand to get to the water. No walk or platform to get anywhere near enough for my husband to be able to lift me into a chair near the water. Again, we were assured that a beach wheelchair would be at our disposal. Needless to say, I never got to a beach. With all of the research and discussion on the phone, I feel a little misled with regard to items that would need to be procured for activities and necessity during our stay. My biggest disappointment was the hotel rep assuring me that getting a van with a lift or ramp for the wheelchair would NOT be a problem. We spoke many times. Once there, after being picked up from the airport by a shuttle that my chair had to be lifted into, we learned that none of the companies that offered accessible vans were in business anymore. We were, literally, landlocked at the hotel. I missed out on sightseeing, the flea markets, tours and excursions, the Malecon, plaza machado, the Shrimp Ladies, many restaurants that were recommended, the Cathedral, shopping.... Yes, we were able to lift the chair into red trucks (a kind of taxi) but they were not cheap. The bus is about 10 pesoes and the taxi cost 150 pesoes each way. We went out twice and spend quite a bit on charges to and from our locations. I really feel that the resort should have checked on this before our arrival and informed us. IF I had known this, I would have chosen to stay at El Cid Castilla or El Cid Moro that was in town (the Marina is a good 10 minutes from the tourist area) where we could have walked around town and, maybe, have found public access to the beach. For what we paid, I feel like we missed out on a lot and I had contacted La Marina MONTHS before our arrival to discuss what I would need for personal necessity and pleasure to get the max of our our honeymoon. When I was assured that all was NOT a problem for the resort, I thought it would be the best honeymoon ever. I had looked forward to experiencing the culture and seeing Old Maz. And a large part of my disappointment was for my husband, who refused to do anything I couldn't do. Nevertheless, we met great people at the Marina and others when we went out that we may never had met if it had not been for our inquiries about accessibility so I thank the Marina for that! I would love to go back but only for the amazing staff and those who visit the Marina annually. Otherwise, I would choose another, more centrally located resort.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear: Lara B

I would like to start off by thanking you and your husband for choosing El Cid to celebrate your belated honeymoon. We appreciate the time you took to share your detailed impressions – the good and the not so good -- during your recent stay at El Cid Marina Beach.

We are so glad to read about how much you enjoyed the resort grounds, the views and our service during your stay. I am likewise pleased by your strong words of praise regarding our many staff members, especially Armando, Avisai, Jose Ramon, Juan, Edgar from the front desk, and Miguel and Abraham from the Calypso Pool, who played a big part in making your stay more memorable. I will be sure to share your comments with all with our team members, who will be equally elated and inspired by your appreciation.

I was very concerned to read about the many challenges you experienced during your stay in terms of mobility, especially regarding the ease in which you could obtain transportation to enjoy the many sights beyond the grounds of resort. This is where we need more information so we can hopefully explain why they thought they could get around more easily.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to El Cid Castilla Beach or El Moro, as you indicated an interest in staying at one or our other properties that would allow you greater access to the Golden Zone in your wheelchair. Please contact me directly if you would like to do so, as it is our desire to provide you with the vacation experience you had hoped for.

My best Wishes

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!