“small, tranquil & high class” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av. Camaron Sabalo s/n, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Kingston, Canada
“small, tranquil & high class”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have just returned El Cid Marina Beach Hotel & must say that it is a small, tranquil & high class property.
If you like to drink your face off & party, this is not the hotel for you. If you are retired and affluent, you will enjoy this property meet many similar people. We are none of the above but we enjoyed our stay & appreciated the beauty of the property, the outstanding food & professional staff.
As all inclusive guests staying a week, we were the minority as everyone seemed to have a time share, were ``back again`` & staying for weeks.
We were very happy to be able to take the shuttle to the other El Cid properties (which by the way, are not nearly as nice as The Marina)Especially since we always use fitness facilities while on holiday, we appreciated being able to go to the country club.
We also liked being able to eat at other restaurants as there is only one at The Marina (although the restrictions on where we could & could not eat were annoying and confusing: ``Yes, you can eat breakfast at the country club,....No, you cannot eat breakfast at the country club...`` There was alot of ``You can have this, you cannot have that with all inclusive`` which lent itself to elitism (& by the way, you pay for that water & coffee in the room...& the `Free in Room Wi Fi` is not free.....)
Also having to constantly give your 5 digit bracelet number (*note* it rubs off) as well as your 3 digit room number every single time you order something, then sign a food bill that totalled $0.00 (as we were all inclusive) got to be a real nuisance. We have stayed at many resorts that offer all inclusive as well as time share and have never had this annoying policy.
Complaining aside, we loved our week away in Mazatlan. We had a fabulous day on the beach & in the water on Stone Island, because although the beach at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel is outstanding, the red flag flew every day. Even if it hadn`t, the water was freezing cold. This was disappointing as we go south for the ocean, not for swimming pools (though they were very lovely & warm.) There is a fabulous huge hot tub as well.
We had a huge room on the 3rd floor with a fabulous view. We don`t go south for the room either so felt quite spoiled by our accomodations! Very clean and well maintained (night time turn down service!) and the beds were more than comfortable. I did need to have my noise elimination ear plugs in so I didn`t hear our neighbours during the night though. Remember too that this is NOT a party place...there are no loud drinking games at the pool or a disco on the property.
I want to conclude that we speak very highly about the hospitality in general at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel & we were thrilled that there were so many locals enjoying themselves there as well.

813 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Mexico has been a favorite destination for decades, but I hadn't been to Mazatlan for a long, long time and decided it was time for another visit. Obviously it had grown tremendously and although we really enjoyed it in many ways, it is still not the favorite. But we had a great visit and very much enjoyed our stay at the El Cid Marina. The entire staff there is wonderful, the rooms are very nice, and the food is good.
The setting is very refreshing, with lots of light in the large, open, airy rooms. It is a nice contrast to look out on the boats in the marina at the same time as being able to see the ocean.
Another real plus is being able to ride the free shuttle back and forth to the other three El Cid hotels - we especially enjoyed the beachfront restaurant at the El Moro, where the view and the breakfast buffet brought us back daily.
The El Cid Marina has a free water taxi that takes you to a private beach in a matter of a couple of minutes, but we found ourselves going instead to the beach at the El Cid Moro, which we preferred. It was always nice to get back to the Marina rrom in the evening, where we were treated very well and were very comfortable.
They upgraded us for free from a studio room to a suite on a higher floor, which was very nice. And though we didn't cook in the well-stocked kitchen, it was great to have a refrigerator/freezer and microwave. The beds in Mexico are not as good or as comfortable as in the US, but the beds here are better than in many Mexican hotels. And we found the king bed in the suite to be more comfortable than the queens in the studio room.
I have nothing but good feelings about the El Cid Marina and we would definitely stay again. Be sure to have the Coconut shrimp at the La Gruta cafe/bar by the lower pool and say "hola" to Fidel who will take great care of you!

Room Tip: Being up a little higher is good. Elevators are available if you don't want to climb the stairs...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear: Sir/lady

First, I would like to thank you for being a frequent guest at our Mexico and for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I always encourage all feedback, positive or constructive, as we can only improve or embrace on what our guests tell us is true.

I am also pleased to hear that the staff was pleasant and you enjoyed our in rooms, Marina, pools, restaurants, as well as the other 3 hotels. Our staff does enjoy getting to know our frequent guests and hopefully have all their needs taken care of before they even ask.

Always have a solution for any inconvenient that you have regarding to the hard beds we have a foamy to make comfortable beds. We sincerely hope that the hard beds are not an inconvenience to have you back with us.

We look forward to your return!

Best regards,

Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I just returned from spending 7 terrific days with my sister and her husband at the El Cid Marina Beach Hotel. (Feb.6-12). Everything about the resort was wonderful. The rooms were comfortable and very clean, the pool and grounds were beautiful and well-maintained, and the food was very tasty. i was impressed with the extremely helpful and friendly staff. Everyone at the resort was eager to serve us in any way they could. Anytime we needed something, there was someone there to help us. But, the person that impressed me the most was Karla Ponzo...a concierge at the resort, and a person to whom I am most grateful. After leaving the resort we went to the Mazatlan Airport to depart for home. While there, i accidentally left my laptop in a bin after going through the security check. I did not realize it until I got to the LAX airport In CA on my journey home. After numerous phone calls, I was able to locate the computer at the airport in Mexico. The agent there said she could not send the computer to me because there is a policy that they can not send things internationally. I did not know what to do, so I called the El Cid Resort and they connected me to Karla. Karla was amazing in her effort to return the laptop to me. She sent someone to the airport to bring the computer back to the resort, wrapped it protectively to keep it from being damaged, and contacted Fedex to have it picked up and shipped to me. She kept me informed as to the progress of returning it to me by e-mail. It arrived safely within a short amount of time. Karla went far above what was expected of her to help me...especially since I had already checked out of the resort and she was under no obligation to continue to serve me. I would recommend staying at the El Cid to anyone who is looking for a fantastic vacation...and my thanks again to Karla!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear: Lady
Thank you so much for let us be part of these 7 wonderful days with you, your husband and family.
After reading your review, I wanted to personally thank you on behalf of all our staff for the positive feedback provided concerning your latest visit to Mazatlan. We rely on you, our guests, to let us know how we're doing and if there are opportunities to improve our level of service to our customers.

We are very glad to read about your supportive words and confidence about the service providing from Karla during your stay. I am likewise elated to your motivating comments about her, who played a big part in making your stay more memorable. I will share them to the team members, who I believe will be equally elated and inspired.

Thank you once again and we look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you to back to our hotel.

Kind Regards,

coos bay oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We travel to Mexico often and we keep coming back here for one reason - THE STAFF. You
can not beat the service or friendliness of the staff. You need anything - they find it. A fun
time always and the staff is ready to help you find new adventures. Food quality is superb.
Igunana Bar Staff go the extra mile. Kudos to Armando for superior room quality and upgrades.
Fidel and Aaron have new recipes to delight the pallet. Overall, it always feels like we leave
a second home and family. Recommend this resort to any and all .

Room Tip: Our favorite is at the end by the Iguana Bar - bottom floor rooms always have nice patios.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear: Sir/Lady

Many thanks for this magnificent review and for the time you have taken to post it. I am more than grateful for such detailed and emotional comments; it was an absolute pleasure to have you with us.

I really appreciate that you have noticed our strength, and our helpful and eager staff. I am very happy that our customers, who give us a feedback, also mention this every time.

Staff in El Cid Marina is really good and well chosen. We do our best to solve any issues that our guests face promptly and efficiently. Your comments regarding our Iguana restaurant and food have been noticed with pride. We wish to emphasize, that the quality of services given to our customers is a characteristic of El Cid Resorts, and this is, of course, for your satisfaction and well being.

The staff of El Cid will be more than happy to welcome you back soon!

My best wishes,

Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place is friendly, clean and the view from our room was beautiful. The staff was so helpful and sweet. Even our housekeeper was amazing. If you are looking for a quiet get away this is it!! I woke up to birds singing and the locals going out on their boats to catch the fresh seafood of the day. The bartender down in the lounge was very attentive and so was the staff in the dining room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear: roadtripmomma26

We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and you are able to found a beautiful view, friendly and sweet staff in a quiet place, thank you for your recommendations and your nice words to us.

I will make sure that your experience is shared with all of the hotel staff.
Should your travel bring you back to Mazatlan we hope that El Cid Marina Beach Hotel is your first choice as it would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again for another seamless stay.

My best wishes,

Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's been 2 years since our last stay at the Marina and it is even better than last time. The restaurant is vastly improved - no offering a nightly buffet in addition to the menu. And a new patio and eating area was added to the Lobby Bar. The staff continues to be friendly and responsive to guests needs, from Luis at the front desk, to the restaurant Maitre d' (who's name escapes me) to Fidel and Ramon at the El Iguana Bar. All first rate. Even if you are staying at one of the other El Cid's in Mazatlan - come over to the Marina for a visit.

Bravo to Senior Gomez for running a great establishment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear: Sir/Lady

Thank you very much for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I'm glad to know that after two years of having visited El Cid Marina for the last time, we were able to exceed your expectations that the first time. We are working in renovation like a new Patio and snack area, we add more variety in our menus and remodeling rooms all of this for make more comfortable stays.

I’m feel proud to your recent recognition about our establishment, this is result for an excellent job, as you mentioned our staff, helpful, and attentive to the needs of our customers is an important part to continue to meet the expectations of our travelers, always disposed to help with a friendly smile.

We look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon. Until then, warmest regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We are a couple in our mid early 50's and went with another couple and single friend. The resort is immaculate as are the rooms, service amazing and food excellent. We spent 3 wks their , unfortunately I had a slip and fall on the concrete pad at bottom of our stairs, the immediate help and attention I got was amazing. Jorge (hotel management) but also a trained paramedic was at my side and ensured I got on a golf cart to transport me to the onsite medical doctor, who immediately cleaned up and gave me 6 stitches to the back of my head and a shot .The staff were constantly asking me how I was and Jorge always made a point of checking on me as did Armando who I thank both of them. I told them the resort is amazing because they have such good management running the resort and of course all the staff's hard work. The only downside to the resort is the one bar they have closes at 11pm every night but then again that ensured the resort was quiet at bedtimes so if you want to go out to "party" you have to leave the resort. One thing we heard over and over again from people who stayed at the el cid marina and then went to the other hotel's that belonged to the el cid in Mazatlan that the el ciid marina was by far the best resort and I think that the great management of the whole resort is what makes it stand apart from the other hotel's. Seriously people can always find something to complain about but if they do about this resort then I feel they are just being "picky" We were in room 222 and the bed was amazing. I can't forget "Abraham" the waiter by the pool, very friendly great service and all around nice guy.

Room Tip: top floor rooms would be quieter ie floors are tiled so sounds carries
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear: Karenron

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and letting us know how your stay went.

I am glad to hear that you found out facilities to fit your standards. It is unfortunate that you encountered an injury on your vacation but I’m glad to hear that you are doing better. I will congratulate our staff on such amazing team work for help you in your time of need I am proud to have such great staff.

El cid has something for everyone weather its being interactive with other guest to just relaxing by the pool and enjoying the sun! We have something for everyone. I really appreciate your kind words on my management I always strive to make this hotel the best it can be and my staff as helped me achieve this.

I hope that you will come visit us again soon and enjoy more of what our hotel has to offer.

Cordially,

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!