“Another awesome visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Northern California
“Another awesome visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's been 2 years since our last stay at the Marina and it is even better than last time. The restaurant is vastly improved - no offering a nightly buffet in addition to the menu. And a new patio and eating area was added to the Lobby Bar. The staff continues to be friendly and responsive to guests needs, from Luis at the front desk, to the restaurant Maitre d' (who's name escapes me) to Fidel and Ramon at the El Iguana Bar. All first rate. Even if you are staying at one of the other El Cid's in Mazatlan - come over to the Marina for a visit.

Bravo to Senior Gomez for running a great establishment.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear: Sir/Lady

Thank you very much for your recent review on Tripadvisor. I'm glad to know that after two years of having visited El Cid Marina for the last time, we were able to exceed your expectations that the first time. We are working in renovation like a new Patio and snack area, we add more variety in our menus and remodeling rooms all of this for make more comfortable stays.

I’m feel proud to your recent recognition about our establishment, this is result for an excellent job, as you mentioned our staff, helpful, and attentive to the needs of our customers is an important part to continue to meet the expectations of our travelers, always disposed to help with a friendly smile.

We look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon. Until then, warmest regards,

Isaias Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We are a couple in our mid early 50's and went with another couple and single friend. The resort is immaculate as are the rooms, service amazing and food excellent. We spent 3 wks their , unfortunately I had a slip and fall on the concrete pad at bottom of our stairs, the immediate help and attention I got was amazing. Jorge (hotel management) but also a trained paramedic was at my side and ensured I got on a golf cart to transport me to the onsite medical doctor, who immediately cleaned up and gave me 6 stitches to the back of my head and a shot .The staff were constantly asking me how I was and Jorge always made a point of checking on me as did Armando who I thank both of them. I told them the resort is amazing because they have such good management running the resort and of course all the staff's hard work. The only downside to the resort is the one bar they have closes at 11pm every night but then again that ensured the resort was quiet at bedtimes so if you want to go out to "party" you have to leave the resort. One thing we heard over and over again from people who stayed at the el cid marina and then went to the other hotel's that belonged to the el cid in Mazatlan that the el ciid marina was by far the best resort and I think that the great management of the whole resort is what makes it stand apart from the other hotel's. Seriously people can always find something to complain about but if they do about this resort then I feel they are just being "picky" We were in room 222 and the bed was amazing. I can't forget "Abraham" the waiter by the pool, very friendly great service and all around nice guy.

Room Tip: top floor rooms would be quieter ie floors are tiled so sounds carries
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear: Karenron

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and letting us know how your stay went.

I am glad to hear that you found out facilities to fit your standards. It is unfortunate that you encountered an injury on your vacation but I’m glad to hear that you are doing better. I will congratulate our staff on such amazing team work for help you in your time of need I am proud to have such great staff.

El cid has something for everyone weather its being interactive with other guest to just relaxing by the pool and enjoying the sun! We have something for everyone. I really appreciate your kind words on my management I always strive to make this hotel the best it can be and my staff as helped me achieve this.

I hope that you will come visit us again soon and enjoy more of what our hotel has to offer.

Cordially,

Orient, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our first visit to Mazatlan. It was on an RCI trade. Usually celebrate the February birthday at Villa Vera in Acapulco but they've closed so we decided to try Mazatlan.

The front desk staff and Roberto, our bellman, was very helpful giving us the quick tour as he took us to our room. The sales staff made sure to nab you right away but were not overly pushy. They have a job to do, too.

The facility here is very nice. Welcoming, spacious lobby. Immaculate grounds and very well maintained buildings. Pools and pool area were kept clean. Nice, open restaurant. The beach area accessed via a very short water taxi ride is very nice. It is also a beautiful stretch of beach for nice long walks between El Cid and the Riu. No crowds or beach vendors to speak of. A couple nice restaurants along the way to stop in for a bite or drinks.

The room was spacious. Don't know if they're all the same but ours (127) was one bedroom with a sofa bed, kitchenette with fridge, stove and microwave, small bathroom but two sinks/vanities outside the bathroom. Nice to be able to spread stuff out and not having his stuff in my way. The bed was uncomfortable and hard and, while I slept okay, I woke up with an aching back every morning.

The breakfast buffet was bountiful with an array of delicious Mexican dishes, fresh fruits...and anglo stuff for those people who want to stay in their gastric comfort zone. I can have omelets and pancakes anytime but I like my tamales and chilaquiles and fried plantains. In fact, I at least try all the Mexican dishes so long as no shellfish is involved! Service was inconsistent at best. Some mornings coffee was kept topped off and dishes cleared. Others, not so much. Had Louis the first day and should have just latched on to him each day but we settled for whoever grabbed us at the door. We always ate on the balcony so beware the birds. The grackles and British invaders will steal anything not nailed down so alternate who goes to the buffet! We had a light bite at the pool each day. Pool staff did a pretty fair job at service. Drinks were very weak. Dinners were all in town so can't comment on dinner service. (Those restaurants will be reviewed elsewhere.)

Housekeeping was very good. Our maid was always on it as soon as we left for breakfast and did a thorough job including washing the glasses we used each day. My one complaint would be the same as with all hotels. I just wish they'd give up the fake 'we care about the environment' stuff. In this case, you put a card on the bed if you don't want the sheets changed. You guessed it...ignored. I even made up the bed to no avail. Fresh sheets and towels daily.

The heated pool was okay though not kept at a consistent temperature. The big pool was intollerably cold. I can't be the only person to think so because it got very little use. The hot tub was nice but someone needs to work on the thermostat. Again, inconsistent. I like it HOT but two days it was almost too hot for me. Good because everybody else stayed out. On the other hand, one day it was cooler than the pool. Activities at the pool were the same each day right down to the 'one line in any direction' for the first game and 'two lines in any direction' for the second game in bingo. The outdoor theater was nice especially since it was right outside our room.

The biggest negative as far as I'm concerned is the lack of an on site fitness facility. Even a couple elipticles or treadmills would have been nice. Very inconvenient to get on a shuttle and take your workout stuff to another property. Same goes for if you want to spend some time in a Jacuzzi or sauna or get a spa treatment. Now, the average age of the guests while we were here was at least 60 so I can see why there is little priority put on providing a convenient workout facility. Unfortunately, when you're a little lazy the excuse of the hassle to get to a remote facility to workout is enough.

The shuttle provides you with a convenient way to get closer to the action but we generally either walked (or occasionally took the unique Pulmonia) to dinner or old town. It is a very long but nice walk to the Malecon or even to old town if you're physically up to it. We always felt perfectly safe here as we do in Acapulco. Much of the bad press is sensationalized hype.

People here and throughout Mazatlan were friendly and welcoming and spoke far better English than many Americans. We'll probably return to Mazatlan some time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KJOpie,

First and for most I would like to thank you for taking the time in writing this review and giving us your feedback. I’m glad to hear that your visit to Mazatlan was a wonderful experience and we are honored you picked El Cid to be a part of your vacation.

It is great to hear that our facilities and food were at your standards. We always try to have a variety of food so that there is something for everyone and they can all enjoy our traditional Mexican dishes.

For future references if you encounter this same problem with your bed just be sure to let any of our employees know because for this we have a solution which it’s an under bed to make your bed more soft and comfortable. I do apologies for the inconveniences you had regarding the pools we have token your comments into consideration and we have taken care of these problems.

As far as the fitness facilities in yes it is unfortunate that we don´t have one In marina but as you mentioned previously you do have accesses to the facility’s in the Club House , We will take your comment into consideration and maybe in the near future we can contemplate on making this facility.

We are glad you felt safe here and gave Mazatlan an opportunity rest assure that I will also congratulate my staff on their hard work and amazing hospitality we can´t wait for you to come back here at your “home away from home”

Warm greetings!

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We just returned from 7 weeks in Mazatlan. Senor Gomez GM at El Cid Marina runs one of the best staffed – friendly; attentive; and they remember you – of all the resorts we have stayed in worldwide in 30 years – Louis, Nadia and Jasmine handled our check in, check out and any concerns with great efficiency – Our housekeeper was great – Turn down service was very spuratic. Sometimes they did it, sometimes they just drop of a candy on the kitchen table - Jamie and the ladies from Activities were lots of fun, now if we can just get them to stick to starting times and get them some better equipment, but nothing kept us from enjoying water volleyball, darts, ping pong, bingo and 21 – they also have more activities – great crew – just need more free popcorn for movie nights on the yacht club lawn.
La Marina – Had some excellent meals there, especially the Lobster and the Banana flambay. At times some of their meals were suspect, but over all it was great. Need lots of help to make some decent bacon for breakfast.
La Marina Bar – fun place to meet after a day in the sun – good service, but stay away from Pizza night. Some of the worst pizza we and others we talked to have had. They even provided a toaster oven if you wanted it warm.
Pool Bars - Great service and fun times – drinks are great and food items are good.
We enjoyed our stay so much that after 3 straight years we finaly bought there – still a little hesitant, but the sales staff was actually great – little pressure and most impressive was that after hours in the restaurants throughout all the properties, you would see the sales staff with their families – this to me means that if they take their families to the properties they feel confident they did not shaft anyone or otherwise they would risk a bad encounter while dining with their families and no one wants that – will see if Senor Jesus Osuna will be able to deliver on all his commitments to us in a timely manner. Look for an update when everything is finalized.

Room Tip: Option are sunsets over looking the ocean or sun rise over looking sun rise - we like sunsets - no b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear: Sir

Receive our warmest greetings from beautiful Mazatlan. We would like to thank you for your review and kind comments regarding my employees and myself, and your experiences and impressions gathered during your recent stay at our resort.

We are pleased to learn that you particularly enjoyed the food & beverage experiences at our bars and restaurants, also that you are able to practice some of our activities with Jaime and his staff. We know our most important asset is always our staff and we are very proud of every one of them, and in return their pride is reflected in the service they deliver to our guests.

Thank you so much for putting your trust in us, I am happy to see that you are now part of this great family that is El Cid Marina, It was a great decision and you will not regret it.

We hope to see you soon, and please let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.

Best Regards,

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just got back from a week at El Cid Marina and it was fabulous. The one thing that made this resort the best we've been to was the staff and great friends we met through the activities we participated in. We are both in our 50's and enjoyed the cleanliness of the rooms, immaculate grounds and quiet around the pool areas. It's not head pounding music by the pool but a nice volume of Beach Boy tunes, 70's and 80's music.

We were lucky enough to get rooms 142 and 143 for our sister & friend which was a lock-off from our room. We'd booked it as a two bedroom with our RCI timeshare. We had big beautiful patios that overlooked the iguana pool. We could sit and watch the pool from the comfort of our patio.

Our first night there we met some great people while playing blackjack and texas hold em' in the bar at the Marina. Just a casual game with whoever wanted to play. Later on through the week we booked a fishing trip together and lucked out on catching a marlin. Edy and the friendly staff at the Iguana pool snack bar cooked up a big marlin steak and we enjoyed our catch just a few hours after landing it. It was a memorable day for all of us.

We attended the presentation to receive the discounts but we weren't interested in buying into the El Cid timeshare. The breakfast meeting was quite lengthy and we were anxious to hit the pool, but even when we said no - we were given exactly what we were promised. We could buy just 3 days with the all inclusive bracelets which we used to take the shuttle to El Cid Moro to enjoy a drink at the bar there overlooking the ocean after a long walk. The breakfast buffet over there was a little better then the one at El Cid Marina.

We enjoyed long walks on the beach at the Marina (take the free little shuttle across the marina) and at El Cid Moro and felt perfectly safe wandering back on the streets next to the beach.

The highlight of our trip was the tour to Stone Island. The entire day was relaxing, we rode horses on the beach and rented ATV's for $20/half hour and toured down the beach. Had a great cheese burger on the beach that the tour provided, along with all the drinks we'd like on the boat. Cold Pacifico beer on the 45 minute boat ride back sure hits the spot.

Our check-in and check-out process was quick and speedy - everything on the room charges were accurate. If there's anything you don't understand, just ask any of the friendly staff and they'll help you out.

We're looking forward to going back with members of our family in the next few years and possibly a reunion with friends we met on this trip. We missed out on a lot of touristy things to do but we're keeping it for our return visit.

Travel tip from Calgary - don't book with US Airways thru Phoenix. It's just not up to the same level of service as Westjet and makes for a very long day of travel. On our way there the bags went right through to Mazatlan but on our return we had to pick up our luggage, clear U.S. customs then again here in Calgary. Next time we'll take a Westjet direct to Mazatlan.

Room Tip: Ground floor - Room 142/143. Easy walk around the corner to sit in the patio chairs and see the suns...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear: DaveGerrie

Thank you for such a heartfelt compliment and even offering tips to other travelers! It is seldom that people speak to us when things go right and comments of appreciation such as yours go a long way in terms of enhancing the motivation and morale of the entire team. With us, you are a person with a name and not a number. We want our guests to feel welcome and special when they are here with us.

We love to hear that our efforts to create a truly memorable experience are paying off! I will be circulating these to the staff.

We wish to meet beyond expectations with respectful, qualified, solution oriented approach and service with a smile….! What sets us apart from other hotels in Mazatlan is our keen eye to the basic; “exceptional customer service”. If you miss this very ingredient all you have is a building with a few walls and a ceiling. The key to success is in loving what we do and you've made us love it even more.

Thank you once again, and we hope to welcome you back soon.

St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We recently returned from two fabulous weeks at the El Cid Marina in Mazatlan Mexico. Allow me to begin this review by stating that due in large part to the #1 ranking of Trip Advisor we chose to look further into this resort. After further research we made our final decision and booked our vacation.One thing that stood out to us was that management was so diligent in responding to posted comments, to us that stood out as a never before experience in terms of customer service. We spent from January 15 – January 29, 2013 at the El Cid Marina and loved every moment of it.
From the moment we arrived we were greeted by warm welcoming staff, and experienced a smooth less than 10 minute check in process.
Our room (1 Bedroom Suite) was large, clean, well equipped and well appointed. We did request to be relocated to a room with an ocean view and Hotel Manager Armando quickly found us a room; it was absolutely painless.
The staff at this resort are nothing short of exceptional. We can honestly say we no issue with any staff. What makes this resort stand head and shoulders above the many others we have been to is the staff. Our first interaction was with Fidel. Fidel is a supervisor at one of the swimming pool bar/cafe’s. There is nothing this man wouldn’t do to meet any reasonable request. His personality and attention to customer service was a major factor in why we spend so much time in this one particular part of the resort. Another absolute favourite of ours at this bar/cafe was Ramon. Ramon has only been with the El Cid for a few months; but based on the outstanding customer service we and all other received from Ramone I am confident when I say management should be looking at this young man for a more advanced position.
We also had the great fortune of having Olivia as our maid. This beautiful young woman meets you each day with a radiant smile and will bend over backwards to ensure you are happy and comfortable. A cracked coffee pot was replaced with a brand new machine within 15 minutes, and firmer pillows were located and delivered with the smile that we will always remember.
We enjoyed many fabulous meals in the main dining room and were charmed each evening by dining room supervisor Javier. Javier runs a well oiled machine; each and every staff clearly takes their lead from their supervisor.
The resort is spotless and easy to navigate. We prefer smaller more quiet resorts, so if you are looking for the party of your life this is not the place for you.
If we were to be less than pleased with anything and completely candid we can honestly say our only complaint was that our bed was less than ideal; however to be fair we never asked for a new mattress.
Understanding that we have travelled considerably all over the world and paid double what we paid for this vacation the value for your dollar will be well spent should you choose this resort.

Room Tip: There really are not any bad rooms, but Oceanview in the tower in building A was great.
Dear: GrantM172

First and foremost we extensively thank you for your preference and it takes great pleasure to have read your comments about your remarkable stay at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel.

El Cid Resorts as always takes pride in delivering the highly recognized hospitality standards, which leads to exceeding guest expectations and rewarding employees for their job excellence. Our commitment is to guarantee our guest a hassle free stay.

I will be delighted in sharing your nice comments about our colleagues with the entire team. I can assure you that Armando, Fidel, Ramon and Olivia will be certainly rewarded for the high level of service provided.

Welcome to El Cid Family, we truly and gladly look forward to welcoming you to our hotel in not too distant future.

Salvatore Sanchez
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We just got back from another great time at the El Cid. From the day we got there to the day we left we were treated like royalty. We absolutely LOVE THIS PLACE AND THE PEOPLE. We love Jose Ramon the bellman, Rogelio & Jorge at the front desk, Ramon, Javier, Francisco, Victoria, Edy, Angel,Caesar in the restaurant, Miguel, Abraham and everyone at the Calypso pool, the activities team, Maritza, Marcella, Caroline & Jaime, Fidel, Eddy, Alberto, Ramon(new guy) Renado, Gerardo and everyone else at the Iguana Pool, Carlos & Dann at the Marina bar. They just make our trip fantastic and a vacation to remember. I can't forget Juan. Also the maids who do such a great job and the whole staff there. They are all our friends and we look forward to each trip. This was our 6th year and we will be back next year. We can't say enough good things about thie wonderful hotel and the wonderful staff they have there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GMELCID, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear: Sir/Lady

Wow! Thank you for the great review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in such detail.

I am so glad to hear about your stay and am happy that is was great! Thank you for the kind words about our team. I love to hear great feedback like this. It is great to hear the service you received met your expectations and thank you for particularly naming the staff who works hard to ensure all of our guests are happy. I feel proud to know how lucky we are to have them working at El Cid Marina.

When travelling brings you to Mazatlan…please feel free to contact me anytime, my team and I we are more than happy to assist to you once again.

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!