“El Cid Marina Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Illinois
“El Cid Marina Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Not sure what we were thinking but for our 8th trip to Mazatlan we decided to do a trade and stay somewhere other than the El Cid Marina. After two nights we went to the Marina and fortunately, they were able to move us in to a one bedroom suite for the next twelve nights. We were on the ground floor and we were not sure how we would like it, but we were just so happy to get out of the other place and get back to our beloved home away from home. The ground floor turned out to be amazing. Whenwe walked out the door we could turn right and go to the heated pool or turn left and go to the deep water pool. The service was great, but we do not do the all inclusive. We have breakfast in the suite, lunch around the pool and then go out for dinner. The people who work at thr El Cid always make us feel at home. The bellman are awesome, especially Avisia and Jorge the VIP co-ordination is truly amazing. We love the location. Lots of places nearby to walk and have dinner. There is a laundry within a ten minute walk and they do a great job. In addition the shuttle service puts you right in the Golden Zone. We know one thing for sure, when we go back to Mazatlan next winter we will not stay anywhere other than the El Cid Marina.

Room Tip: El Cid is really good about special room request for members, but I can not speak for those who are...

814 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Hanford, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We just returned home from a 2 week stay from the Beautiful El Cid Marina. Our trip was to celebrate our Anniversary and just unwind, and relaxe. You can't go wrong with a stay at the Marina, but don't allow the Vulgers from the Sales Dept. ruin some of your stay like they did ours. We were lied to from the time we got on the "Free Transportation from the Airport". Believe me the only reason they pick you up is to hound you the whole 40 min. ride to take the sales tour. WE told the girl NO. We are owners and love our yearly trips to the Marina but we are NOT buying any more points at this time. She countinued hounding us while checking in, even after telling her we had been traveling all night with no sleep and would get back with her later after resting. When we went to the "OWNER UPDATE" we were met by one of the vulcher salesmen and when we commented about the update he said wait you know this is a sales presentation so why did you show up? When we told him we were interested in learning about any new things happening with El Cid but not interesed in buying he tore up our invitation and left us standing on the steps. I could go on and on but don't want to raise my blood pressure once again. We did talk with the General Manager who asked us to put our experience to pen and paper, send to him and after 14 days have heard nothing. Excatly what we expected. We talked with alot of different people around the resort and we did not hear ONE good comment about their Sales expierence. On a good note, most of the employees are wonderful, they can't do enough to help you make your trip wonderful. Jorge the bellman was one of these. Aslo Freddy the Golf Guy was very helpful and always met us with a question "Was there anything we needed?" They are like family after 14 days. The grounds and rooms are great. Pool and waiters couldn't be better. It is a hardship since I am in a wheelchair and you have to go up about 15 stairs to eat in their resturant, no elevator, there fore we don't eat there hardly at all. We did find out this trip that the all inclusive really isn't worth it. Unless you plan to drink all day at one of the pools. There are so many wonderful resturants in Mazatlan that are very affordable and much better food than they serve at any of the El Cid resturants. We do enjoy the Marina but I guess you have to experience your own experiences to find what works for you. Would recomment a stay here to anyone although it does seem to be an older crowd.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Jeanea

On behalf of everyone at El Cid Marina, many thanks for selecting our hotel to celebrate such important date in your lifes, your Anniversary!. It gives me a great pleasure to read that our facilities met your expectations, as well as the great service delivered by the staff members you mention by name, except for the issue occurred with the Time share crew, situation that I deeply regret, I can assure you that I have shared such important comments with the Time share Director in order to reinforce with the staff our high standards in service.

Be assured that when our guests come with me directly and bring to my attention any concern, I take fast and appropriate actions to solve it, it is my main interest to make that you, our guests, leave our hotel with great memories of vacation.

We look forward for the pleasure of having you with us again.

Receive our congratulations for your anniversary!!!

MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I am a senor woman traveling alone. I spent last week at the El Cid Marina and was very impressed by the staff, the grounds, the room and the views. The staff couldn't have been nicer, the grounds were being hand groomed the whole time I was there and were impeccible, my room had 2 beds and a great flap screen TV, and the fun of watching the wonderful fishing boats and cruisers in and out of the marina was great. Also watched guys gathering oysters along the rocks. I couldn't have had a nicer week and the resort was the reason.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear SuzanH

Greetings from sunny beaches of Mazatlan!!!

I am deeply grateful with you for let us know the wonderful stay you had at this your home, and for to have allowed us take care of you. We are happy to know that you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel.

Whether travelling as a couple, group or alone, our guests will find at El Cid Resorts something for everyone; we take proud in offering activities for all ages so we can guarantee you a vacation full of entertainment.

We do hope to have the pleasure of serving you in a near future.

Receive our best wishes,

East Lansing, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

We stayed at the Ed Cid for a family (12 adults no kids) vacation in early January and had a great time. We enjoyed ourselves so much we are going back the end of March! We had the all-inclusive package and thought the food was great and drinks always plentiful. We enjoyed our days relaxing on the private beach and golfed twice. While the weather was not steamy hot, Mazatlan was beautiful and we look forward to visiting again and again.

The only complaint I have is that I am a light sleeper so I am going to try and request a room on a higher floor for my next trip. It wasn't loud by any means, but for me it was.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Dear shaski

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience in regards to your recent stay at El Cid Marina. I am delighted to know that all of you had a perfect vacation and enjoyed of the benefits that the All Inclusive plan offers, definetely, many restaurant options plenty of delicious food to delight

We will be more than happy in having you with us on next march. Please if you need any special assistance you can contact me directly. I can assure you that we will provide you the same personalize service that characterizes us.

Until soon!!!

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

First the good news - the place is very clean and well-maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. All good.
Unfortunately....
1) the food was terrible. I was very glad we didn't choose the all-inclusive option. Phew! The three meals we had there were all very disappointing.
2) some of the rooms (ours in particular) were really noisy. There were movies right outside our window two nights during the week we were there. Imagine how difficult it was to try to get my children to sleep when there were Hollywood blockbusters shaking the windows! And on the other side, the cleaning carts and the golf carts used to transport people were constantly rattling by. Very frustrating.
3) the heated pool was not always heated. Why, I wonder? It wasn't really warm in the mornings or afternoons, so the heated pool was very necessary. One afternoon, my daughter and her friend were both swimming with chattering teeth.
4) the water taxi to the beach (yes, this resort is not on the beach) stops at 6 pm every day. Don't get your heart set on sunset walks with the waves lapping at your feet. It's not going to happen.
5) the time share presentation was far longer than the 90 minutes advertised (in fact, when we agreed to go, they said it was 45 minutes). That's a long time out of a one-week vacation, but we did it because we were potentially interested, and also we were promised a free ride back to the airport as well as some money to spend on food (see point #1). Which brings me to...
6) the transportation to the airport was not actually covered. Of course, we weren't told of this until our bags were being loaded into the van. Very sneaky and unfair.
So I guess if you're going to cook for yourself, you don't particularly like the beach in the evenings, and you have earplugs, I would recommend this resort. Other than that.....not so much.

Room Tip: far from the main lodge if possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2012
Dear klestom

On behalf of everyone at El Cid Marina, we thank you for taking the time to share your impressions about your recent stay with us; we both appreciate, positive and constructive criticism as it give us the tools to improve or reinforce our product.

I read with pleasure that you have found our staff very friendy and helpful (they are always making their best to pamper you) and to know as well that you have appreciated cleanliness and well-maintained facilities.

On another note, while most of our guests mention on this website the great experience they had with us, I am dissapointed to read that we did not fulfill your expectations and for that we apologize

In regards to your valued comments, our Food and Beverage heads are reinforcing the practice of monitoring personally, presentation, temperature and quality of food, this with the only objective of having your total satisfaction and offer you the highest standards that characterizes us.

Staring the day, Capylso bar has a temperature of 31°C, if during the day weather gets warmer, temperature is adjusted; Jacuzzi at La Gruta pool has a temperature of 38°C to 40°C. We deeply appreciate comments; rest assured that will be analyzed for the maintainance manager.

We are aware how frustrating it is being in a noisy room, for that reason please accept our sincere apologies for any discomfort we may cause you due to the movie night, I would like to share with you that we will reubicate this activity to another area of the ground to avoid this happen again. Your comments in regards to the time share presentation has been addressed to the manager of the Division in order to reinforce with the crew our practice of delivering highest standards in service.

We all appreciate your important comments and look forward to serve you in a near future to have the opportunity to change your first impression.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I had read the reviews for the El Cid Marina and expected a wonderful week but it was beyond the best expectations of both my wife and I. We could not have been treated more graciously and the service was exceptional. We had traded a week from our ski time share for a week at a one bedroom suite at El Cid. We got back yesterday and as I told Jorge Zendejas Valdes, the manager who took care of us, we will be back for the same week next year.

We were called a few days before we were due to arrive and told that we would be met at the airport and be provided with a free transfer to the hotel. As a side note, the cost for a taxi is only 290 pesos (or about $23 US dollars) for a 35 minute ride. We found the taxi rates in Mazatlan very reasonable and for most rides about $3 to $4 and for our longest ride about $8.

When we arrived Jorge personally greeted us as did a number of other staff members. We could not have felt more welcomed. Freddy, the golf coordinator, met us a check-in and briefed us about the courses in Mazatlan and arranged tee times for us for the 4 mornings we played golf. The El Cid course costs $60 US for a round including cart and caddy (it is a 5 minute free shuttle ride from the Marina).

The El Cid Marina reminds me of a Mediterranean village set on a Marina overlooking the Ocean. It is a beautiful facility and is very clean and well maintained. While it only has a small beach there is a free 1 minute ferry to a very nice beach. It has two pool areas each with snack bars. We found the food quality at the snack bars to be very good and reasonably priced. One pool is the activity pool and the other is the more quiet pool. The Marina restaurant is in the main building and has both menu options and buffets for meals. You can either buy an all inclusive meal plan or pay as you go. We selected pay as you go because we knew we would be eating breakfast early in the room (our room had a kitchen) and we wanted to try other eating places is Mazatlan. There was also a premium all inclusive option that had a lot of extras available if we wanted to use it. We thought the menu food in the Marina was quite good and we did not try any of the buffets. There were a lot of different theme buffets during the week. There are actually 4 El Cid properties in Mazatlan all connected with a very convenient free shuttle and if you have an all inclusive plan you can eat at any of the properties.

The El Cid Marina is a bit more adult oriented (although there were certainly families) while the El Moro was larger and seemed to have more family type activities. We had asked for a higher floor ocean view room and found it to be very quiet and an beautiful room. It had a kitchen with stove, micro wave, refrigerator and dinning table. It was open to the living room that had two large sofa's and a chair and coffee table. It also had a 30" flat screen TV with both Mexican and US channels (including HBO, Showtime, CBS, ABC, CNN, TNT, Fox and other stations). Our bedroom had the king size bed we requested with another 30" flat screen TV as well as a bathroom with shower and with his and hers sinks. We also had a nice balcony with chairs. The suite was clean and the maid service was very good.

We never felt unsafe anyplace in Mazatlan and we certainly got around. Virtually all the eating places in town have purified water and ice and we never had a problem with any of them. Our favorite restaurants were Panama for breakfast or lunch (in the central zone a $3.50 taxi ride from the hotel. The pastries are "to die for" and the service excellent. For a very special dinner we recommend Topolo in old town (an $8 taxi ride). Fernand is a wonderful host and his wife is originally from Minnesota. Check out Trip Advisor to see the recommendations for Topolo...you will not regret trying it our. We found most of the eating places to be quite good and the only one that we felt was over rated was Pancho's.

The General Manager of El Cid Marina is Isaias Gomez and he is to be congratulated for the service all his staff offers. We did not meet any staff members at the hotel who did not greet us every time we passed and they all went out of their way to make our week special. Jorge introduced us to Mr. Gomez during our stay and we expressed our pleasure with our stay to him personally. We were amazed that he even stocked our refrigerator with water, beer, sodas and a bottle of wine and that he had a fruit basket waiting for us when we checked into the room. El Cid Marina is a very special place and we have already told our friends about it. We look forward to celebrated my birthday there again next year as we did this year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Dear Russell 43

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments and share your experience with future travelers. It is my personal pleasure to find these kinds of reviews on Trip Advisor. This means that our staff is successfully helping our guests make their dream vacations come true. I appreciate a lot your compliments to my person, it is always my pleasure to serve our guests with the most personalized service and that is what I share with my co-workers.

I will share your review with all of the staff you mention by name, rest assured that they will be happy to know how much their special cares made the difference in your stay. We will always try our best in order to go beyond your expectations.

I am sure that your tips will be of great help to future travelers.

We would be happy to welcome you again at El Cid Marina next year hopefully to celebrate your birthday; we would like to pamper you in such special date.

In the meantime we wish you all the best.

Best regards,

Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I were very much impressed with El Cid Marina. It was very clean, quiet and relaxing. All of the staff were friendly and gave great prompt service. We were treated like royalty. I loved waking up in the morning and looking out at our view of the marina and swimming pools and then again at the restaurant sitting outside having our breakfast or watching the sun go down in the evening. So much delicious food to choose from on the buffet as well as on the menu - delicious steak and lobster yummy! It was great to be able to check out El Cids sistering hotels, just jumped in their transportation van (free) and in a few mins you could be playing or relaxing at another pool side sipping drinks. I liked our beach, it was nice and quiet, a small little boat would take you across the marina and you were there in mins but I also enjoyed El Cid El Moro's beach and pool side as well, very nice!
Our room was very nice and spacious and kept so nice and clean. We would go back for sure! One week is not long enough!!

Room Tip: We stayed in between the 2 pools, and over looked the marina. I loved waking up and looking out our...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2012
Dear margaritas13

I am thrilled to read that you and your boyfriend had a perfect vacation at this your home and came back home with great memories. All of us here at La Marina love to take an excellent care of our guests and treat you as a king or a queen and are happy that we exceeded your expectations in facilities and food and service as well; our Chef is delighted to know that enjoyed of the delicious food offered at La Marina restaurant, like steaks and lobster, hopefully next time besides enjoying of the pools in our sister hotels you honor us visiting the Argentinean, Italian or Mexican restaurant, certainly you will enjoy of the variety and tasty dishes than the All Inclusive plans offers.

We will be waiting for your return; I can assure you that we will pamper you even more.

Warmest regards

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!