“Bring your family - the kids will love it!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Great Sale: Up to 63% Off
Ranked #2 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Edmonton, AB
“Bring your family - the kids will love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

We stayed at the El Cid Marina from August 6 to 13, 2011. We had been to this hotel last year and loved it, and this time we brought my 9 year old son with us for his first trip to Mexico. Before the trip we showed my son pictures from our previous stay, and told him about all the fun he could look forward to.

We arrived at the hotel hot and sweaty from our trip from the airport, and the front desk staff greeted us with ice-cold water bottles to get us checked in. The staff was already helping my son practice his Spanish and making sure he had a memorable trip on his first time to Mexico.

Our room was on the top floor of the tower closest to the ocean and the view from the balcony was amazing! It was nice to watch the waves from up there, or just watch the yachts coming in and out of the marina. The room was a Junior Suite and it was very spacious. It had two double beds, a very large sitting area with two sofas, and a kitchenette. The floors were all tiled and we couldn't hear any noise through the walls. The cleaning staff always kept everything very clean.

The large swimming pool , the “Iguana Pool,” is the best pool I have ever seen anywhere for kids to go play and have fun. There is a shallow area for little ones to wade in and splash around, and then in the deep area, there is a large artificial rock formation with waterfalls coming down it. There are steps up the rocks where kids can climb up and jump off the rocks into the deep water, or go down on the slide. If you swim into one of the waterfalls, you enter into a network of caves beneath the rocks, and you can swim through the shallow water in the caves and come out through another waterfall in another pool on the other side of the rocks. My son spent hours and hours jumping off the rocks and swimming through the caves. “Young-at-heart” adults have a lot of fun jumping too!

Fidel at the Iguana Pool still remembered us from our last trip and made us feel very welcome. Edgar and Edy at the Iguana Pool bar remembered what our drinks were and often had them ready before we could ask.

The other thing about the Iguana Pool is the iguanas. Many wild iguanas live in the hedges and bushes beside the pool and come out during the afternoon sun. They are quite tame and friendly and very soon my son was petting them and feeding them snacks. Seeing the iguanas was a huge part of his vacation experience. For those folks that are not fond of iguanas, they don't seem to go to the other pool or around the bar area, so don't worry!

At this hotel, the beach is not directly in front of the hotel buildings. They also have a yacht club and a marina, and you must cross the entrance to the marina to get to the beach. This is done using a complimentary water taxi which runs all day and ferries guests across from one side of the marina to the other. It is very fast to get to the beach. Compared to the “Golden Zone” hotels, this beach feels almost private because of the water taxi access, and there are only a few beach vendors. El Cid has a bar over at the beach and you can order burgers and snacks there too. It was never hard to find a couple chairs under an umbrella. I found the beach to be quite swimmable, but then again I like to play in the waves. This is on the Pacific Ocean, so there can be some fairly large waves. I found that the waves were not too big to be dangerous but not too small to be boring. My son loved playing in the waves and could spend all afternoon out there in the water.

Now, on to the food! There are snacks and lunches available all day long at the two pools, so you can get a plate of garlic shrimps, or a burger, or whatever to keep you going while you are playing in the pool. Just before supper, they set up a taco bar beside the Iguana Pool and we enjoyed eating fresh tacos there, including marlin tacos which were a real treat. We went for the all-inclusive option and found it to be an excellent value. This hotel is smaller than some of the other huge sprawling all-inclusive resorts we have stayed at, so you must keep in mind that there is no need here for 7 different restaurants and a buffet room that seats 1000 people. There is only one main restaurant, and it has both a buffet and menu selections. We ate breakfast and supper there every day, but never tried it for lunch because we were always out at the pools or the beach. Because of the smaller size the buffet selections in the restaurant are limited compared to the mega-resorts, but the quality of the selections they have is excellent, and there was certainly enough variety to keep both adults and children well-fed and happy. Since the restaurant is smaller than the big resorts, you get to see the same dining room staff every day, and they bring a very personalized service to you. It was really nice getting to know the staff and we always felt very welcome and taken care of. Lupita took care of us every morning at the omelette station, and Ernesto cooked fantastic creations for us in the evenings at the live cooking station. It was fun to watch Ramón making a tableside banana flambée, and Javier's humour kept us laughing the whole time. Most evenings there was also live music in the restaurant.

Inside this hotel, there is no late-night discoteca or all-night party spot, so late nights are fairly quiet, and it really makes the hotel a quiet and safe spot for families with children. We met many other guests there who lived in other inland locations in Mexico and were bringing their family and children to the beach for the week during school holidays in August. Many of them also commented what an excellent family resort this was.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. They enjoy their jobs and and truly care about the guests. The smaller size of the resort means you get to know the staff members and the service feels very personal, almost like an extended family.

As for my 9 year old son, the trip was more fun for him than he could ever imagine. He said everything was even better than what we told him about in advance. His first trip to Mexico was a memorable event thanks to the great staff and the excellent facilities like the Iguana Pool. We've decided that we will make this an annual family trip each summer, back to El Cid Marina where we had so much fun and felt so welcome.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2011
Dear MisterJH

How wonderful to receive such a detailed and kind review, it is with great pride that we have read your wonderful comments. I am truly inspired to hear that your family and you, had such a fantastic time here at El Cid Marina, and enjoyed every aspect of the hotel.

To create unforgettable vacation and offer activities for all ages is our goal, and a proof of this is to read that your 9 years old son was more than happy enjoying of our care, activities offered and feeding the friendly iguanas; it is said that children always tell the truth, so please tell your son we are grateful for his comments and for allowing us to be part of his vacation.

All of us at El Cid Marina, will be waiting for you next summer for your family trip; Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for making reservations or further assistance, I will be happy in serve you: Igomez@elcid.com.mx

Until soon,

814 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I had been to this hotel previously, but this time we shared it with his brother and his wife, niether had even been out of the country and loved this experience.
The entire staff was friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed January 2011
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear stoppedby

On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Marina Hotel, I woud like to express you our gratitude for having your loyalty, and for taking the time to post this amazing review. We are so glad to read that once more your stay with us was so pleasant, and even more, to know that having many options to travel, your brother´s husband and his wife, have chosen Mazatlan to spend vacation and El Cid to stay.

Me, as General Manager, it gives me satisfaction to know that our staff is recognized by our staff for the excellent job they do, be assured that our top priority is your total satisfaction. I will share your kind words with them.

For future trips, please, if you need any assistance feel free to contact me.

Best regards,

North Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Our stay here was fun and relaxing. The grounds were well kept and the staff was very friendly and accomadating. We stayed in a 3 bedroom with a living room, kitchen and rooftop access with a grill and hot tub. The all inclusive bracelet option worked well as there was no need to cary cash or cards while on the grounds and at the accompanying el cid resorts farther into the city. Fishing was well organized and the marina staff cleaned and cooked some of the catch for us. It was delicious. Other guests were polite and we enjoyed a boat trip with some of them that included horseback riding, kayaking and other option on a close by island.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2011
Dear stoppedby

We would like to express our gratitude for select our hotel to stay in your recent trip to Mazatlan and for your kind words. To read comments like yours, and realize that our guests have memorable vacation, it give us a greatly happiness and encourage us to continue doing our best effort in every single activity we do in order to meet your expectations; we are glad to read that your experience with us was more than pleasant and enjoyed each one of the activities you did while on vacation, such as fishing, I am happy to read that our staff assisted you with the fish catched, I am sure as well, that you enjoyed eating fresh fish caught by yourself.

On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Marina Hotel, we look forward to serve you again.

Warm regards,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

The El Cid Marina is a wonderful resort. We stayed in a one bedroom unit--it was clean, nicely furnished, well maintained and very comfortable. The staff is absolutely terrific. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and they really make you feel welcome. The grounds are lovely and well maintained (except for the water in the marina, which is kind of yucky but not their fault...I guess it happens during rainy season). The pools here are great especially if you have younfg kids (the cave is a blast for them). We did not go to the private beach here (the surf was too rough) but we used the beach at the El Cid Castilla (you get cross privileges at other El Cid Hotels), which was nice. We ate at a number of hotel restaurants and they were fine. The all inclusive is kind of pricey, so unless you plan on doing nothing but eating and drinking your way through vacation at the resort, I would not recommend it, We found a lot of nice places to eat (try Pedro and Lolas in the Old City--and take the green city bus to the Cathedral to get there), and even the nicest restaurants are not terribly expensive. All in all a perfectly delightful stay at this hotel. One last thing...The El Cid Resorts are time share destinations, and they have a whole team dedicated to trying to sell you time shares. They are pleasant but slightly pushy. If you are truly interested in time shares, go for it. You can politely listen and get some consideration for it (it is probably a three hour commitment) or you can politely decline...which is probably the best choice..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is a very nice resort, well kept grounds,etc. I dont think the all-inclusive is worth it unless you are going to drink your moneys worth.very limited menu at the pool bar (tiny little dried out shrimp on skewers, guacamole etc. Dining room food was soggy and greasy. I DID like the breakfast buffet. lots of fruit along with mexican and american options. I like eating on the balcony but the flies were outrageous. They did come out to spray while we were inside grabbing more food, but what they did it sprayed pesticide all over out coffee cup, silver wear and napkins. Not alot of thought there. Fidel at the pool bar is amazing! you"ll knw what I mean when you go.

I loved the room. We were at the end (closest to the ocean) building( which I hear is the best spot to have. Room was clean and nice, starting to get just a teeny bit worn but that is typical of an ocean resort. Its a little ways to the shopping,dining etc. but very easy to access transportation for free or cheap.

I'll never go back to Mazatlan but if I did this would be where I would stay again :)

Room Tip: Request far building next to ocean ( great views and easy pool access)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Dear MinnesotaMO

Thank you for staying with us, I would like to thank you as well for taking the time to post your comment. It´s so nice to hear that you spend a great time during your vacation, and that the room were to your liking, as well as the excellent service provided by our staff, especially Fidel met your expectations: in regards to having breakfast in our restaurant, besides enjoying of the food and service I am sure you appreciated the amazing view it offers.

While may guests prefer to have the All inclusive plan, in order to do not bring money with them to pay every single meal and drinks that they have inside of the hotels, find this plan to their liking, i appreciate your comments, I will share them with our Food & Beverage Manager in order to be analyzed and take the necessary steps. In regards to the flies in the balcony I would like to share with you that rooms are fumigated every week in order to avoid insects on them, we will reinforce this with the external company that give us the service.
On behalf of all the staff at El Cid Marina, we appreciate that you consider staying with us again in your next visit. We hope to see you soon.

Warm regards,

houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Mazatlan the Pearl of the Pacific

I have just returned from a 10 day stay at the El Cid Marine Hotel in Mazatlan, Mexico. This was the most enjoyable vacation that a person could ask for, the staff at the marina is very professional and courteous. From the time that you arrive at the front door you are welcomed by the bell boy staff (Freddy and Av ) they are ready to help make your stay  enjoyable  . They make sure that you are aware of all the  amnities the resort has to offer, and  of helping you start to relax by offering you refreshments as you wait. The entire staff at the front desk( Luis Carrillo) support the effortless task of checking into the hotel. The room accommodations are a 5 star hotel rating compared to other resorts in the golden zone, and  the maid staff is always preparing the rooms, from  morning until  night, so that you are  as comfortable as possible, they check back with you before they leave for the day .Room service was as easy as the phone call to place your order, and the food was great!!  The   concierge (Juliana) found out that my birthday was during my stay and did everything she could  to make sure that the entire staff was aware of  this, and had a cake and strawberrys placed in my room on that day. The security was of the highest quality that anyone could expect( eduardo) was alway waiting for my return from the many hot spot to visit during the evening. Security is a big issue at this time and it made me feel  as safe as if I were at home. There are so many reasons that I could recommend this resort for anyone's stay, but the one thing that caught my attention was the family atmosphere that the staff has  towards each other and the guest ( they make you feel Like part of their family) this value is instilled in the staff thru the efforts of  Isaias Gomez and Armando Lizarraga, who  greeted me many time during  the week from sun up until sun down almost every day. I would like to thank everyone at the marine for making my stay, a safe, fun and memorable  one that will stay with me for many years to come. Because of this I will be planning another stay here in the very short future.
On a rating of 5 star hotels, I give the marina 6 stars

To the entire staff at the marina
THANK YOU for making me part of your family. I will never forget any of you!!!

Thomas Martin
                            Room 705
               August 11th thru 21st 2011

Tommy Martin

Room Tip: Great rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Greetings from the Pearl of the Pacific!!!

Dear Mr. Martin

First at all, it was a pleasure to having you here, make your stay unforgettable is the reason that make us work harder every day, I want to thank you for choosing us and also for taking the time to post this review that give others the opportunity to know how is to stay at the Marina hotel.The most important thing for us is making you feel like home, welcome and make of your vacations an incredible experience, and we are happy to see that our goal was achieved; definitely, this is the result of a complete team work.

The whole staff wants to thank you for let us be part of your vacations. I would like to thank you as well for the mention you make by name of some of the staff members for their excellent job, and for the 5 stars rating that you give to our hotel, it is much appreciated.

We always will be waiting for you with open arms, and please, for the next time you come, let me know if you have any special request, it will be a pleasure to serve you again.

Massapequa Park, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We spent two weeks at El Cid Marina, via an RCI exchange. This was our first trip to Mazatlan. We have traveled to other parts of Mexico. First the "resort". El Cid Marina is a quiet hotel; the resort part of El Cid is at El Moro, which is a shuttle ride away.El Cid Marina, though dated, is very clean; the room in which we stayed faced the ocean, was a one bedroom that had a full kitchen but no balcony. The cleaning staff came twice each day and the plumbing problems we had were attended to quickly. We did not take the all inclusive, which would have entitled us to a room with a balcony. The all inclusive cost $67 US per day per person. This allowed for all meals, drinks and snacks. The food at the restaurant was very good; we ate there a number of times. The food at the snack bars was also very good, and they did not skimp on the drinks! I think if you had children or had no desire to leave the grounds, that the all inclusive would be a good deal. The web site was accurate in some descriptions, not so much in others. My first complaint is that the web site has photos that had to have been taken decades ago. The descriptions of the grounds are not accurate. For example, the web site states that there is a state of the art, air conditioned fitness center accessible at the country club. What it doesn't mention is that there is a $10 per day charge to use it. It may have been state of the art in 1985, but is not so now. I had called El Cid Marina before we booked, to be sure that there was indeed a gym. No one mentioned a charge; had that been on their web site, or had I been told there was an outrageous charge, we would have not booked there. $10 per day to use a dated gym with no air conditioning is unacceptable to me, since I explained when I called that I needed to have a gym available. I found one that charge $30 per month, which was not that far away, and used that one. One pool is nice, the other is slimy and I wonder about the filtration system. The market on the grounds is sparse and closes at 6pm. If you want to relax before heading out to dinner (or if you eat early, before the sun sets) grab a few drinks or a bottle of wine, and head over to the market area, where you can sit in rocking chairs and watch a spectacular sunset over the harbor. There is a laundry where you can do your own laundry for 60 pesos, but you need to supply your own soap. If you need food, you can take a cab to Walmart or Mega store to do any large shopping, or visit any market and make do with what they have. Check with the cab before you get in to secure the charge, because they vary depending on the driver.
We did attend the time share presentation. In exchange for 2 hours of our time we received: a very nice breakfast buffet before the presentation; a certificate for 2 for 1 dinner at Senior Frogs; a certificate for a cab ride back to the airport; 24 hours of All-Inclusive; $100 in certificates to be used for food at any El Cid location; a 4 hour city tour, which included a tour of the tequila factory, a visit to a leather store, a drive along the malecon, a stop at the Old Town and ended with dinner on your own at a fantastic sea food restaurant.
There are a few nice places to eat within walking distance of the hotel. Leave the grounds and turn right. Across the street is a bowling ally (14 lanes) that looks closed but it is open. You can walk along this street and you will see Ernie's Restaurant and Club. The food is good and it opens at noon and closes sometime in the a.m. There are other restaurants and markets along this street. You can also take the shuttle to El Cid Moro and walk around there for other restaurants and shopping. Across from the Costa de Oro Hotel is a book shop, Mazatlan Books and Coffee, that sells english language books. The problem with walking on any of these streets is, if you make contact with the shop owners or the tour sellers, they continue to badger you even if you say no thank you. I understand and respect that this is how they make a living; they haven't yet mastered the idea that a tourist is allowed to say no thank you, and continue on their way. The vendors at the beaches were no problem, but the vendors on the street were obnoxious and rude.
We visited the Old Town and went to the market, into the shops, saw the Basilica ( very beautiful), the museum; this area is very easy to walk around. We also went to the Aquarium and Botanical Gardens, saw some nice performances by the sea lions and birds.
Mazatlan is trying to build up tourism, but the entire area is in need of some serious renovation. The property next to the El Cid Marina is an abandoned hotel; the parking lot is used as a trailer park. When it rains ( and it did every night we were there) the street in front of the hotel floods so much you cannot walk on the side walks. The problem? The street slants toward the ocean, but the drains are on the higher side of the street! It is, indeed, inexpensive compared to other parts of Mexico, and may be fun if you are 20 years old or it may have been fun in the late 70's early 80's, but I cannot see anything that would entice me to return. Two weeks is much too long here, unless you are going to spend it drinking and sleeping on a beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Marina Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
Dear meg H

Thank you for taking the time to share you experiences during your recent vacation in Mazatlan. We're grateful to you for your high marks regarding our ocean view room, the food served at our hotel restaurants, and our hotel staff. Thanks also for letting us know that you enjoyed visiting some of the many beautiful sites Mazatlan offers: The Old Town, The Malecon Promenade, The Basilica, The Museum, The Aquarium and the Botanical Gardens. Additionally, we're glad to know of your positive experience with the time share presentation and your enjoyment of the complimentary perks received for attending the presentation. We also appreciate your pointing out those areas that we must improve, such as: more clearly communicate our fitness center charges, and improve the a/c output in the fitness center. Please know that we're proceeding to make those changes in order to avoid this kind of situations in a future. We are sorry we felt short of your expectations, and for that please accept our most sincere apologize.

We hope to have a second opportunity to welcome you to Mazatlan at your first choice of resort, El Cid Marina Beach Hotel.

Kind regards,

Isaias Gomez

Been to El Cid Marina Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!