“Friendly staff......” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan

You added Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Camaron Sabalo 2121 | Sinola, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Alberta, Canada
“Friendly staff......”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay so we had a free shuttle to this property.
We ate at the restaurants here and enjoyed the pool and beach here.
The staff are amazing poolside and on the beach. Our waiter on the beach had told us there isn't much staffing turn over here. It made us think what a great place this must be to be employed.
Our family enjoyed our time at PB Maz much more than PB Emerald Bay. It is close to the Golden Zone and many restaurants. Beach was great! Vendors were very friendly and when we purchased our goods from them or not they still came by to talk to us. We learned about them as " people" not seeing them as only a vendor.
Only negative: pool was oily with lotions and sunsreen. Both of my kids ended up with eye infections as a result. Pool needed to be cleaned more frequently in my opinion. That is why I rated cleanliness what I did.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
MATTESON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This resort is quite nice, older than I am accustomed to, but it was nice. The resort is basically quiet during this time of the year (October). Activities were almost non-existent. The grounds are beautiful with the beach front begging you to come and enjoy. The décor is tile floors with stucco walls. I had the privilege of staying in a one bedroom unit with a friend that is owner. The kitchenette is more than adequate to prepare simple meals. No oven for baking and broiling, but it wasn’t missed. You have an option of all inclusive or go solo and buy and prepare you own meals. There are a couple of restaurants directly across the street from the resort which is really convenient. There are also a few restaurants on the premises that you can purchase breakfast lunch or dinner. I did enjoy the Champagne Brunch on Sunday. Lunch at Cilantro’s was okay, but I did not bother to return.
The premises are very clean and the staff is very helpful, attentive and really nice. The grounds are well kept. All units have an ocean view from the terrace or balcony. One problem is there were insects in my unit and a salamander that always came out in the living room in the evening hours. A call to the front desk resulted in a staff person coming up to exterminate the villa. That worked for about one week and then, we needed to call again when the insects begin to show up in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and my luggage. My friend and I both were bitten several times by what we thought were mosquitoes during the night, but neither of us saw mosquitoes in the unit. Although these “mites” were very small, they were not welcomed and I had no desire to bring them home as a souvenir.
Regardless of what you might have read, believe me when I tell you that everyone wants you to go to a time share presentation---the taxi drivers, people in the grocery stores, tour guides, bus drivers and yes even Pueblo Bonito representatives. You are not forced to go and see their sister property Pueblo Bonito-Emerald Bay. But, they will try and push you to see the property. I was lured in by being told that they only wanted to show my friend the property so that she could consider staying at Emerald Bay property during her next visit here. I was also told that I would not be pressured to purchase anything. Of course when you get there, you have the tours and yes the salesmen (5 of them) before it’s all over. We were offered a fairly descent breakfast and a choice a $100.00 food and drink voucher or the all inclusive package at $51 US dollars a day per person for attending the presentation. I did not expect to be lured to a time share presentation by Pueblo Bonito (based on reviews I had read in Trip Advisor) and stated from the very beginning I was not interesting in buying a time share and my friend clearly stated she was not interested in trading or selling her current time share. Doesn’t matter, you will be asked over and over again at the presentation to purchase a time share. That was the most annoying part of my two week stay. I was taken aback when the salesman told me I had wasted his time when I chose not to purchase a time share. This was my only negative experience. By the way, I chose the food and drink voucher which has some minor limitations on what you can actually use it for, but I was able to get a couple of good meals with it and that was welcomed.
Internet accessibility was limited. I emailed the resort prior to arrival to get the price of the Wi-Fi usage. I was quoted $7 US dollars per day--$49.50 for five days--$79.00 for one week. The math did not add up, but I only wanted the internet at the most two days out of the two week period. When I went to purchase the service, I was told that the Wi-Fi signal was so weak they did not recommend me to use it. I was also told that the Wi-Fi connection was $15.00 for 24 hours. It was suggested that I use the Internet Café on the premises. The price is $1.50 US dollars for 15 minutes to use the Internet in the Internet Cafe. Later I checked my system to see if the Wi-Fi signal was indeed that weak. The signal registered as fair. The next day I spoke with the Concierge who told me that the Wi-Fi service was $14 US dollars per day. When I disputed this and referenced my email from the resort she wanted to know if I had a copy. I told her it was on my system which I needed Wi-Fi to retrieve. Of course, she no longer understood what I was saying. My suggestion to you is don’t bother with it. Besides you are on vacation to relax not work.
If you are not purchasing the all-inclusive package for your meals, then you will be purchasing your food from restaurants on the premises, in the Golden Zone or at the grocery store. I highly recommend Soriano’s. Most locals will take you to Mega which is also in the Golden Zone. Mega does have a variety of products that you may be seeking however the prices are higher than Soriano’s. Soriano’s is a little further away from Mega but I paid the same taxi fare to go there. The selection is great. They have really nice produce, bakery, and meat sections. They also have a section with prepared meats, vegetables, rice and other side dishes. But, again, the prices are cheaper than Mega. For those who like Sam’s Club…it’s about one block from the Mega. Great prices on alcoholic beverages and other items you may need.

This resort is quiet…a little too quiet. I think it is great for mature (a nice way to say older) individuals. Younger people may not enjoy the resort as well.
Finally, shop around for your taxi. Every driver has a different price. I was quoted 60 peso to 100 peso to go to Mega the first time. The drivers were desperate for business so I was able to get the price I wanted.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I went with my parents and my fiancee because they had chosen this place to use through their BlueGreen points. Driving out from the airport I was a little freaked seeing the crappy house-like structures on the sides of the road, but as soon as you get into the resort it is completely different. The room my fiancee and I stayed in was very nice, had a safe and a great little porch that we would eat breakfast on. Loved all the pools and the happy hour drink specials. The restaurant, Cordel's, I believe it was called, had good food, and we ate there twice. The hotel had little events going on, like an outdoor party one night with a buffet and games that ended up being a lot of fun. Got a massage at the spa, which was relaxing.
However, my fiancee and I are in our early 20's, so while my parents were content to sit by the pools all day every day, we weren't. Venturing out of the resort, the best experience that we had was going on a zip-line. It was either that or snorkeling, but people told us the snorkeling isn't all that great in Mazatlan because the water is too choppy. I'm glad we chose what we did, It was a whole day experience where the van picked us up from the resort and drove us to the location. We made a stop in a tiny town where we had authentic Mexican food literally off someone's table. The zip-lines were awesome, and the guys who were running it were a lot more chill than on other zip-lines we have done in the US. They let us go upside-down and such. After that we got a ride back into the town on a cart and donkey and ate again at someones house. If you can do the zip-line through the hotel, do it, because this part of the trip is what I will remember the most!
If I went back to Mexico I would likely go somewhere else more historical because I am overall more interested in that sort of thing then laying around at the pool, but I do not regret going by any means. Had a great time, and the resort was beautiful and was set up well.
Oh, and check out the peacocks when you arrive at the front and watch out for iguanas, as they are everywhere! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HENDERSONVILLE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have been owners for some time and always paid our maintenance fees in a timely manner. This unit, #222 is a junior suite. All 52 weeks are owned, that =='s about $20,000+ per year. We have been happy with our unit in the past but this year is was way below acceptable.
The smell of mold was awful in the unit and along the halls outside of many of the units. There was visible mold on the sofa where someone had left a wet garment or towel. Dust bunnys were flying out of the AC unit, and the drapes were smelly and badly soiled. The mattresses were extremely lumpy and sunken where people would sit on the edge of them. An added thick mattress pad was a feeble attempt at making them more comfortable but they were just awful. I had to sleep across the bed to find any comfort. The lady that was our housekeeper was fantastic; she had a smile and a look of love that I will never forget. She was a very hard worker and always had a smile.
The restaurants: Paloma was for breakfast, the food was acceptable and the service was outstanding. The food and service poolside and along the beach was very good and the service was outstanding. Angelos was over priced and under cooked,don't waste your money. Go across the street to Pancho's. Cilantros the food was fairly good and the service was good; unfortunately my husband became quite ill from the food. We both ordered the seafood pasta which did not list oysters as part of the ingredients. My husband is allergic to oysters and he exhibited symptoms of having eaten oysters. Fortunately they were mild.
We probably won't be going back to PBM as there are so many other places to see that will give a better experience to us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Been to Pueblo Bonito Maz for six vacations for a total of 12 weeks. I love it. Location is great for me, walking distance or a cheap ride to anywhere. Good beach, Good onsite food and many nearby eateries that are just as good and better. Staff always friendly and helpful. I like the old mexico feel and charm of this place, when I feel the need for flashy I go to Vegas. I am going back in a few months and cannot wait.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Benson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We bought two weeks here on ebay and have fallen in love with Mazatlan. Peublo Bonito Mazatlan is an older resort in very good, but not perfect condition. However it is handy to everything in Mazatlan, nice beach, great pool, good though expensive food, and great service with the exception of the front desk staff that at times can be cold and uncaring. Having said that we love the place. While PB Emerald Bay is newer and nicer, it is further from town and far more expensive. I'm glad I'm an owner.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

One of the biggest problems we had here was slippery tile floors due to condensation in the rooms. We tried changing rooms but had the same issue. My husband walks with a cane or crutches and was concerned about falling. The pool was too cold to swim in when we were there. We haven't stayed here since PB Emerald Bay opened.

Other than that, it's a good location and you can take their free shuttle to the PB resort at Emerald Bay and enjoy the amenities out there during the day/evening. We like eating at Cilantro's on the beach but the food quality is not consistent. Sometimes it's really good and other times you can order the same dish and it isn't so good. I suppose it depends on which chef is working on any given night. Angelo's food is always great, and is very romantic for couples. The buffet breakfasts are very good at this resort!

If you go across the street to the little grocery store, beware of a woman inviting you to a timeshare presentation at Residence Club La Jolla, which is located next to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. She promises U.S. funds in exchange for your time but La Jolla only pays in pesos. Also, La Jolla is well known for telling you whatever you need to hear in order to get you to buy their membership package. It was our experience that everyone who works there is deceptive and they have no intention of honoring any promises made. They will treat you like VIPs during the timeshare presentation and your salesman will even take you out to dinner if you sign a contract but when they will tell you they want to buy your weeks owned at other resorts and offer you more than what you paid for them, that is an out and out lie. They have no intention of buying them. They only tell you that to get you to sign a contract, you will NEVER see the money they promise.They will tell you if you buy their membership, and don't use it, they will pay you thousands of dollars in rent but that won't happen either. If you dispute the charges you put on your credit card to buy their membership, the bank will reject it because you signed a contract.

If you have been scammed by them please contact Mr. Fernando Alaniz at falanizc@gmail.com.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan? Share your experiences!