“Exellent 10 day stay at P/B Mazatlan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan

You added Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Camaron Sabalo 2121 | Sinola, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Vancouver, Washington
“Exellent 10 day stay at P/B Mazatlan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

First off, dont believe the hype about the crime in Mazatlan. I felt safer walking the streets here than in Portland Or. Very nice stay, the staff is exellent!!! They made the trip for my wife & I. The hotel is nice, but does need some upgrading. We are not the type which walk into a room and try to pick out every little thing wrong! I do that at my own home, not home to different people every week! We know we are in Mexico, and dont really give a crap if the night stand has scratches in it, who cares? I live in the pool, the bar & the resturants, come to the room & crash! Thats my vacation. The place has great views! killer beach and exellent resturants. We would stay here again, no questions asked!

Room Tip: Stay in the old section, closer to the pool & elevators.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
San Diego, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

We travel in Mexico a lot, and honestly try to stay away from tourist areas, but since we were taking the ferry the next day (another do it once, not twice experience) we wanted to stay somewhere fun. This is a nice hotel on the beach north of most of the hotels. It was a fun place to stay with a kitchenette, but you need to book your reservation in pesos not dollars. When I went to book our reservation in English the reservation for a suite was $230 USD, but when I booked in Spanish it was $1600 pesos (that's $120 USD at the current exchange rate). The room was clean, and we had a bathroom with a tub shower (rare in Mexico). The air-conditioning worked well, but was of the older growling kind (quite noisy if that bothers you). We ate at the restaurant overlooking the beach which has great service, but the food has been corrupted by too much American influence- bland stuff that most older tourist love. I don't want to be too hard on them- the food did taste good, it's just not real Mexican food. We did use the spa, and the massages where very good and they have a nice little workout room which is well stocked.

pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

My wife ,my 10 year old daughter and I stayed here in October 2011 and I have mixed ,but mostly good feelings about our stay,Here is my honest review .First of all let me say we have stayed in Cancun twice ,and the Riviera Maya twice,so this was our fifth trip to Mexico and first to Mazatlan and I would have to say this hotel ranks #5 out of 5 overall. ,that being said ,here are the details of that ranking.First the Hotel and accomodations,The hotel is kept very clean,with workers going above and beyond to keep what is obviously an older and outdated hotel.in as good a shape as possible,,don't get me wrong,it has LOTS of charm and beautiful well kept grounds ,however little things falling apart,paint spattered on the curtains,loose electrical outlets ,a bathroom sink that does'nt drain,even after supposedly being fixed by maintenance,An air conditioner that never really worked even after supposedly being fixed twice[when we told the front desk they would just stare at you continuosly which made me think they were wishing they could tell you where to go] then they would send the maintenance guy who would I'm sure to the best of his ability try to fix what was obviously an outdated half broken system with a screwdriver and a rag ,all to no avai.Hey,let me expand by saying I realize you are in Mexico and things are different here, but I at least expect to be able to really cool off after being in the heat all day and perhaps walking around a lot at night in the very warm humid conditions.So be prepared to feel dampness on you,your clothes and your pillowcase,sheets etc. and never REALLY be able to cool down from the mostly oppressive heat and humidity Unless by chance your a/c really does work. Our shower head in the bathroom was so low I literally had to squat down to use it,banged my head on it quite a few times because I was'nt squatting low enough,really,and I am no giant,I'm 6 ft tall and it can get kind of tiring having to squat to take a shower,.My ten year old daughter could barely fit under it standing up??? little annoyances except for the a/c.,that to me is major.The pools were beautiful and well kept,but I really did'nt travel 3000 miles and spend my money to use the pools.The beach was average,nowhere near as nice as the Yucatan,but some nice views ,gorgeous sunsets ,but thats anywhere in Mazatlan,so I can't credit the hotel for this.We always found a palapa for shade, The ocean sandy and the water temperature almost hot in the middle of the days ,you won't cool down in this ocean except maybe in the winter months.It really surprised me as I always expected the Pacific to be much cooler,..not complaining I know they can't control the Ocean temp, and some people might like 90 degree water ,so to them this would be a plus, I'm just providing details .The daytime real feel temps on the beach were high 90 degrees everyday . I would say the staff in the resort would be the ONLY thing in the hotel that would make me come back here ,they were very friendly,the front desk seemed like they were trying to be friendly,but we never got any satisfaction from our requests to them , not quite sure why.The vendors on the beach might bother some people,but we had a lot of fun with them all week long and got to know most of them by name,we bought quite a bit of souveneirs and such from them,and they definitely added character to our visit,..Rolando was our favorite vendor ,if you don't see what you like ask him and he will get it for you at a great price without the haggling.We also had alot of fun bartering with Juan and Clemente,a lot of laughs.If you want to book any fishing trips or tours go out the front of the hotel,and turn right ,walk to the front of the Luna palace right next door and there you will find Luis sitting under an umbrella at a table. He got us the best pulmonia fares and tour prices,and has great fishing tour prices also,tell him Dean and Tracy sent you if you would.The food at Cilantro's was good at the hotel,we also liked La costa on the beach, Chillis pepper,Panchos [across the street]and Ernies restaurants.All in all the food was Amazing everywhere we ate in Mazatlan,always fresh Pico Di gallo and other salsas and tortillas and GREAT AUTHENTIC mexican food everywhere.All in all I would say we enjoyed our stay and would say you would probably like this hotel for it's old town charm but there are many better choices in Mazatlan.Avoid their time share spiel they offer you $200.00 in credits but after buying many things in their deli etc. throughout the week found out on the last day our credits weren't good for the food throughout the resort????,only certain restaurants ,which made us feel kinda ripped off as we never got to use our credits we wasted our time earning at their "presentation" When we asked at the front desk about this we just got more uncaring attitudes and stares Which by now had reached the annoying point ,Certainly no signs that they wanted you to return..Any questions feel free to email me and I will do my best to answer your questions.I always check Trip advisors reviews before going ANYWHERE,so I feel I owe it back to others to leave honest reviews and I feel all travelers who use trip advisor should take time from their busy schedules and leave reviews also.

Toluca, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Hello everyone. I would like to share my experience about this hotel and Mazatlan. Me and my husband (27 and 32 years old) came to this hotel for a honey moon. My husband is mexican and I`m from Ukraine. May be we have expected too much from this week but honestly I`m disappointed about this place. Let me tell you in order a bit of everything.
1. Hotel service. Exellent. Room were cleaned everyday, towels were clean, a personal of the hotel was polite, competent and attended. Congratulations, guys, you made good job.
2. Transfer hotel-airport-hotel. Fast, without to be late, a bus was clean, with a climate-control inside. The drivers are competent and polite.
3. Food. The restaraunt "Cilantros". The biggest disappointment about this hotel. You know, I like to eat. My husband likes to eat. But we like to eat good food with an acceptable price. There was completely contrary. The shrimps are without taste and in the end a check was almost 800 pesos. May be their chief didn't know but shrimps actually must have a taste of sea but not of garlic or onion. Seems that we paid for enter only.
4. "Haime attack". The first day we arrived, immediately we were informed (attacked) about currency promotions. It happend even before a checking-in (if the personal is reading this, please, take a note next time that people after long trip at least want to sit and then listen about promotion, ok?). So. They proposed to us next day to take a breakfast in the Emerald Bay (related hotel), then make a short excursy inside of that hotel and for this we can get a sertificate on 100 USD. Conditions of promotions: being married, have credit cards, age about 32 and ID. Sounds good, why not. We made a deposit 200 pesos (returnable). Fine. Next day at 10.30 we were there. Nice woman met us near reception and started to show everything. Was not a good idea according to that fact that we were really hungry. After 20 mins when I was ready to bite her leg, she decided to ask if we want to take breakfast. FInally. The place for breakfast was really small and everything inside was telling us that this hotel was awarded many times and his owner mr. Ernesto Coppel likes to take picture with famous people, aga. Strange, but this woman set down with us, supporting a conversation what we didn`t need at all, because my mom always said to me : When you eat, don`t speak, is not nice to talk with people when your mouth is filled. So instead to enjoy our first breakfast, we were making look that we are birds which only need small grain and few drops of water to be satisfied. After that we finished, and she showed us junior-suite, penthouse, villas. Incredible, what can I say. During this tour she was repeating the same: "Imagine yourself here with your future kids, family and friends. It`s absolutely great place for rest". Sure. Just let me sell my kidney and I will be able to rent a villa here for a week. Then we returned to the dining room set down and suddenly...Oh my god!!! I`ll never forget this time when behind us Jaime (Haime) crossed. When this woman introduced us to him, he read our application form and then he started his speach. Imagine a dragon what wants to sell you a membership for this hotel for 90 years?? It reminded me when one manager from Walmart wanted to sell a bicycle for a person without legs and arms. Haime`s loudly voice, red face and calculator are the typical characteristics of Agressive marketing. He told us that he is a seller with 30 years of experience. I`m very glad but we came here for vacation, not for 2hours speach about the advantages of membership. Jaime did his best efforts, but he didn`t know that we are sellers too:)) So when we said that we have other plans about future and we are not interested, his face changed IMMEDIATELY and he asked if we know how to get out. OMG, where did all the kindness disappear? Nasty false script, that`s how it`s called. By the way in the end they charged money for breakfast. Be aware so.
5. Taxi drivers. Be careful with them, they never have a change from your bill, expecting that you will forget and forgive.
6. Center. Ugly dirty place. Aquarium is not bad, but it`s not in the center.
7. The places to eat. I can recommend to visit Panchos and Lobster`s House. That`s all.
8. Supermarkets. It`s just an appearence of supermarkets. Infront of Pueblo Bonito is a store, is called Scorpio. They don`t have a habit to keep things in the fridge. I have bought an ice-cream there and Snickers and next 24 hours I spent in the toilet.
9. Safety. There is not. This hotel is kind of far from stores and restaraunts, so you need to pay for a bus or taxi. People at evening are smoking marihuana on the street. And nobody around. Any questions?
10. Sellers of tours. They are everywhere, they want to sell a tour or dinner, motherland, anything. Like piranhas.

Guys. With all my respect to old people this place (hotel and town) was not good for us. There is a lot of adult people and we didn`t feel like honey moon.
Also we are not that rich but we spent almost 1000 USD even I don`t have any idea for what. Just for survive I guess.
Other note: we like some activity and want our days to be unforgettable. Unforgettable was only a price. Everyday in this place was the same. If you will ask me, can I recommend Mazatlan to someone my answer will be NO.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I always write a review every year but i now have a question. We are not owners but stay there every year. We would like to know more about the corner executive suites. Are they only available for owners. Thank you for any info. We love everything about PBMaz. The help is wonderful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
GMSunset, Manager at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
We thank KarlaSchultz for her flattering comments about Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. To answer the question she posed, yes, there are times that the corner executive suites can be assigned to hotel guests, depending on availability. Please ask when making reservations whether there is one available, since most of the year they are indeed occupied by their fixed-week timeshare owners.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

This is a wonderful hotel resort for a relaxing and pleasurable vacation, good for all ages. It feels like you're in a beautiful hacienda in old Mexico rather than a new, luxury hotel that could be anywhere in the world. It has an excellent beach for swimming and boogie boarding with thatched-roof palapas to sit under, out of the hot sun, altho the beach vendors get a bit annoying.
The staff is always friendly and helpful, and the hotel manager, David Tussi, is exceptional. I took my mother here for her birthday, and she needed some medications and Sr. Tussi arranged for a doctor to come and really took care of all of our needs.

The rooms all have an ocean view, with the best sunsets I've ever seen. They're comfortably furnished, if a bit dated, with full kitchens and a TV in living and bedroom. Beds have featherbeds and feather pillows on request. All of the ground floor rooms have patios with table and chairs for dining al fresco or sitting and watching the glorious sunsets at cocktail hour. The upper rooms have small balconies with a little table. This trip we were fortunate to have a corner Executive Suite with two terraces, one with lounge chairs.
There is a small shopping area and market directly across the street (hint: do your grocery shopping there rather than at hotel, much less expensive.)

The new Pancho's restaurant across the street (opened by the son of the original Pancho's down in the Golden Zone fronting the beach) is very popular, with good food at reasonable prices and delightful decor furnished by Michael's Gallery next door, as is the upstairs at the original Pancho's. You can walk to town a mile or so from the hotel, or take the pulmoneas which you catch out front. Or the bus for about 50¢. The Old Town with the town square, theatre and big central mercado has great restaurants, lovely cathedral and fun people watching. Also don't miss the cliff divers down the malecon.

The hotel has terrific restaurants. Our tradition (I've been an owner here for 24 years) is to arrive and go directly to Cilantro's restaurant, which is built 1/2 on the sand and 1/2 on the property on the big pool side, and have a margarita and some appetizers before going out on the beach. Their food is very tasty, reasonable, with lots of variety. Great ceviche and hamburgers and delicious fish and skirt steak. The waiters are all friendly and relaxed. Also a great place to watch the sunsets. The upscale hotel restaurant, Angelo's, is excellent. Be sure to start with the Caesar Salad which is prepared at your table, and finish with the Crepes Suzette, which takes about 20 minutes to make, also at your table. We had the duck and Fettucinni Alfredo as main dishes this trip.

On arrival at hotel you'll be asked to take a tour of the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Resort, out past the Marina. This is the sister property to PB Mazatlan, and more elegant. You can eat in the restaurants there and use the facilities and charge it to your hotel. The tour is a time-share presentation, but I think worth it once - you have a very good breakfast, and are given money towards your stay, with other percs like a sailing trip or zip-lining I've heard. And the rooms at the property are really special, quite fancy. But you are giving up a couple of hours of your vacation so it's a trade off. People all over town are offering you money to go to one time-share presentation or another so if you have the time you could pretty much cover your vacation! I love my time-share and would recommend buying one, especially if you have small children and want an annual family vacation to the beach.

This was my second trip to PB this year and I'll be going back in March 2012. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Ground floor room all have big terraces. High floor rooms have beautiful views.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I cant explain it but something didnt feel right. The place has beautiful grounds and great views.Rooms were kinda cute but worn and they have a kitchenette. Got a good deal 123US. I was early for check in and was waiting on the beach when someone Im assuming from the hotel told me I had to give up my chair because a family who wanted to sit could add it to their party. ticked me off from the start. I didnt feel safe as a single female at the place like I did El Cid Marina. Maybe it was because it was filled with nationals who seem to run staff ragged and intimidate tourist. I would stay here again if I had people with me and it was in the winter months. But I doubt I will be returning to Mazatlan.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan? Share your experiences!