“Love the Hotel Playa Mazatlan but not the hassle!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Mazatlan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Playa Mazatlan to your Saves list
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Playa Gaviotas 202 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 72 hotels in Mazatlan
Tucson, Arizona
“Love the Hotel Playa Mazatlan but not the hassle!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

As a dedicated returning guest I was atonished upon arriving at the disregard and disrespect we recieved from the management upon arrival last week at my favorite hotel. I reserved on and payed online as I had done many times before, when checking in we were told that he full amount was due. I do not like to travel with credit or debit cards for various reasons, I had our spending money for the trip and didn't want to use it to pay for a room that I thought was already payed for! Hotel Playa Mazatlan, you need to varify on your conformation statement "full payment due upon arrival."

After paying for one night's room(which was reimbursed several hours later), calling and faxing Tucson(at my expense) everything was finally taken care of after about 2 hours of stress! Come on now, this was my 15th time staying here!
Other than the hassle we had upon arrival the deluxe ocean vew room was fantastic! The service from all the employees other than management was more than I could ask for. The restaurant,bars and entertainment(the band was exceptional) were great!

I would still recommend the Hotel Playa Mazatlan for the obvious reasons and plan on returning in January. I really hope all the kinks are ironed out by then.

Thank You.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
To whom it may concern (paraexcrusion),

I would like to begin by thanking you for your continued visits, and understanding of our technical issues. As a member of management and the family of owners I am personally committed to iron out the afore mentioned kinks and would personally welcome your feedback in regards to our websites and booking issues. We as well thank you for your outstanding reviews of staff and facilities as they are the backbone of our industry. We look forward to having you in January and would like to be a part of helping you sit back, relax and enjoy Paradise. We would welcome your feedback as well as any pictures you might have accrued over the years that would help us in building our e-album of memories from friends of the Playa.

I again thank you for your time and consideration, as well as your loyalty and great feedback.

Best Wishes,

662 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

I love this hotel! We have been to Mazatlan many, many times and I can not imagine staying anywhere else!
This trip was very special. My long time guy & I got married at the hotel. The hotel events & registration people were so much help. Wendi in registration and Crystal in the events department are angels. They made everything so easy for me. Planning a destination wedding should be stressful from what I hear but it wasn't! The bellman, housekeeping & restaurant staff are great, too. Everyone treats you like an old friend that they are so happy to see.
We had 30 people fly in from all around the US for our wedding. Some had never been out of the country before and were a little nervous. They are already planning an anniversary trip for next year.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
To whom it may concern (mmg714 & family),

Thank you, thank you, and thank you! We love hearing about your loyalty to the Hotel and note that the expression of friendship from the staff is genuine. I am glad to hear that your wedding was a success and that you where able to refer us to so many of your close friends and family. We would love to see some of your pictures of the event, as we are currently in the process of building an e-album of friends of the Hotel Playa; and I would love for our story to be featured. Please feel free to respond to me directly.

Again congratulations on your wedding, and thank you for your continued loyalty and support. I will make sure to personally recognize Wendi and Crystal on their service.

Warm Wishes,

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Just got back from a week-long stay at Hotel Playa Mazatlan with my two best friends. We love this hotel because of its perfect location along the beach and proximity to lots of restaurants and attractions. Although the hotel is large, the layout and lush gardens make it seem more intimate. The rooms are pretty basic, but that didn't bother us, as we wanted to spend as much time as possible enjoying the ocean. The staff were always very helpful and accommodating with any questions or requests. I would return in a heartbeat!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
To whom it may concern (bbeeco & friends),

I would like to thank you for your resent visit and kinds words in regards to our grounds; much time and effort has been spent in the design and it is great to hear that they are recognized and well received. We would love to have you and your friends come visit again and stay in one of our other rooms, the Hotel does not only spend time on its grounds, but as well has many unique one of a kind rooms, all through out the Hotel. You might find that you can continue to come year after year and always stay in a different unique room, or come back year after year and enjoy that one room you fell in love with. I would love to both give you my personalized attention, and help you select one that would suit your needs.

Again thank you for your time in reviewing our business, I look forward to hearing about your next stay here soon.

Regards,

Mazatlan, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

We have been coming to Hotel Playa every year for ten years. I can understand a few hiccups here and there(which there has been some in the past) but this year has changed everything for us. We arrived March 26th and left the 6th of April. We knew around Easter would be hectic, but who would of thought you wouldn't feel safe at your hotel. On Easter Sunday I was sitting under our palapia by myself as the rest of my family had stepped away for a little and I was over taken by 8 mexican men who already had two of there own palapia's. I did not back down, I called for the guard twice which he never came over, he only gave me the phone sign, I was then threatned to be stabbed by one of the mexicans, i left for my room and two of them followed me. I was very scared and shaken. my husband arrived back and immediatly went for the manager, which she was reluctant to do anything, to summarize a long story Hotel Playa valued the two nights the mexicans were staying there and allowed us(their guest) to be disrespected by other guest, spit towards, threatned and them throwing all there beer cans at us. We did not feel safe in our room either. We have always rented ocean front 1st floor rooms.
The manager said the guards don't understand english and that is why they didn't help me, however I know they under the "come here' sign. Everyday we always give cold coke to guards as they are standing in the hot sun, so we know that they can speak some english. Whether we order drinks or food we always tip the waiters on the beach, the young men that clean the beach and our room maid on a daily basis. We buy snacks and water for our room from Mega but haven't been bothered about bringing our items to our room or the beach. Roman is great at the little restaurant by the pool and we also enjoy the little grill set up by there too. We don't like the food at the hotel restaurant. Our favorite is EL Memien, a locals restaurant. Great food and a must try for anyone that hasn't eaten there.
Where will we stay next year? the sad thing is we love this hotel and it's location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, General Manager at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
Dear Ms.
Your comment was brought to my attention and I want to start this communication with a sincere apology for not being informed earlier. I am sincerely concerned on your note and although I find this a “first”, it is also completely against our policies and standards. I hope you understand that during the time we had the honor of hosting you and your family, we did have a full house and the operation, as anyone at 100%, had a few hiccups as you mentioned. Although they are part of the downside of a hotel in search of optimizing occupation, there is still no excuse for what you experienced.
Unless I had additional information, I have no way of following up on this incident, which I would certainly assure you it was isolated. Playa Mazatlan in the last year has instated English courses on-site and free of charge, for all levels of our staff. I also understand that our Security Guard responsible of your area could have handled himself, along with the property’s reputation in a much better way, as per your description. I am also aware that he could have very well understood your request and opted for looking the other way. This is particularly where I am most embarrassed and concerned, as we have a long standing record of being, if anything, too strict on allowing access to our premises. Incidents like the one experienced, although first time it happens according to our records, it was poorly handled, from description received.
We would hate to see you go with another facility. We would certainly welcome another opportunity to erase this unfortunate incident. Playa Mazatlan is waiting for you with open arms and we are anxious to make things right.
We live on and encourage repetitive clients. Please let me know of your plans to return to Mazatlan. I very much look forward to talking with you, as I can assure you, after you give us the opportunity to host you again, your reviews will be the opposite of this year’s.
Sincerely

José Castelló
General Director
Calgary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We always wanted to stay at this hotel from the first time we saw it,but it turned out not so good. We travelled down with freinds that we have travelled with before to Mexico on a couple of different occasions and all of us were VERY DISSAPOINTED with the Playa.

We arrived Friday evening and it took an abnormally long time to getting checked in. We went for breakfast at the hotel restaurant and found that it was expensive and nothing to write home about. We never ate another meal at the restaurant during the rest of our stay of 2 weeks stay.

We were told by security guard that you are not allowed to bring in any alchol purchased outside of the hotel. It must be purchased from the hotel room service, but he said he would let us take them in this time since we did'nt know.

Our rooms were very close to a construction site where they were redoing a waterfall and the JACK HAMMER noise was very bad. When we approached the construction foreman about the noise he immediately had us moved to different rooms.This was the ONLY POSITIVE thing about our stay as far as the hotel stay itself and we thank the foreman for his efforts that were greatly appreciated.

After we got moved we had to have the toilet fixed on the same day as it was leaking from the flush vavle and water everywhere. Then it worked until the day we were coming home I got up and the bathroom was flooded and some clothing soaking wet and the closet was full of water also. We had to use the bathroom in our freinds place cause we had to turn off the water to the toilet.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANY ONE

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam:
We are sorry to hear of your experience at the Playa Mazatlan, especially when you had heard of our well earned reputation of a great spot, safe beach and a fabulous value for your money.
Although I was not involved directly, nor talked to you during your ordeal, I recall exactly your case, as through the team correcting a problem with our waterfall, the room changed was approved immediately.
No excuse for having a leak in your bathroom. We operate in excellent conditions 400+ units a day and must admit that I am upset failing to correct and most importantly, not anticipating the problem experienced.
Any additional information you can throw our way, will allow us to more accurately avoid any further genuine complaints.
I hope you give us the chance to have you as our guests again. Please contact me directly with your plans and I sincerely look forward to hearing back from you,
Cordially

José Castelló
General Director
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

We just got back from from a wonderful, relaxing week at Hotel Playa Mazatlan and would definitely return. We loved the downtown location as well as the incomparable beach with plentiful activities, gorgeous sunsets and falling asleep to the gentle breezes and waves at night. The food was great: buffet breakfast was plentiful including a variety of fruits and authentic Mexican dishes as well as typical American buffet breakfast fare. Don't bother buying beer from the market, the Happy Hour beers are 12 pesos ($1)! Four pools range from quiet & secluded to large with a poolside bar. We were there for Spring Break, and while it was lively, we enjoyed plenty of quiet relaxation. One last thing, the hotel staff was pleasant and welcoming. Our room was clean and comfortable. We'll definitely be returning to this interesting and beautiful landmark in Mazatlan.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
To whom it may concern (vcrec),

I am writing this email in the hopes of finding you well, I must say that you had the Mazatlan experience, and I am proud to say that the Hotel Playa Mazatlan allowed you to experience it. As a member of the staff and family of owners, I can definitely attest to quality of the staff and their willingness to serve, as a native to the city I could not have expressed the quality of our sunsets and beaches any better. Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel and your posted review, I would love to offer my personal assistance with your next stay; in the hopes of making sure that we can continue to ensure quality in service, and continued loyalty to the Hotel Playa family. As well I would invite you to send me any pictures you might have taken during your stay as we are in the process of creating an e-album of memories from our guest.

Again thank you for your time and consideration in posting this comment, I look forward of being service.

Best Wishes,

calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Let me start off by stating that I have worked in the customer service industry for over 20 years now and I have never experienced the sad, pitiful state of the service I received at the Playa Mazatland.

(1) NO OUTSIDE LEGALLY PURCHASED GOODS ARE PERMITTED IN YOUR ROOM.
However, they do offer rooms with fridges and microwaves but I guess you aren't permitted to bring in any goods even if you are in one of those of rooms because how would the entrance security staff at the front gate would know? Unless of course you are being watched I guess. I was stopped within 24 hours of our arrival at the hotel for trying to bring to MY room a case of cervazas. There are no signs that are posted or even any written advisory's at the hotel entrance. The only notice at the main entrance states that you cannot consume any outside food or beverages in common areas which we did not do. What did they expect me to do? This was my home for the next couple of weeks and if I returned from dinner and expected to have anight cap in my room I wasn't permitted?
I spoke at length the following day with other patrions of the hotel who had been frequent flyers to the Playa and they had never heard of such nonsense. I was lucky enough to talk to one of the hotel owners who took my name and room number. I was then advised that the Operations Manager would be contacting me.

What a joke!! He did call me at noon 4 days later and questioned why I was even in my room at that hour? Perhaps I was waiting for his call but that didn't seem to concern him - he wanted to know what he could do for me. I vioced my concerns and he offered me - get this- his business card in exchange of our patronage. Needless to say he wasn't doing me any favors. He offered to meet with me but alas he was leaving town and couldn't meet with me until the following Tuesday - 3 days before we were to leave. I never did meet up with him and was never provided an appropriate response to my queries and why the double standard. I did note that if you are native to the country and were staying in the hotel you could bring in your own booze and sit by the pool but I guess if you from outside the country your expected to buy all your "necessities" at the hotel bar?

(2) NO GLASS BOTTLES AROUND THE POOL AREA

I can certainly agree with point, however when I purchased dos cervaza's while wearing my bathing suite right by the pool where did the staff think I was going to go. This happened the second day we were there. If they provide the beer in a glass bottle and not provide me with plastic cups and then have security reprimand you for being in he pool area? I guess they weren't mind readers or something but you can't sell something to the patrons and then tell them off for drinking it!!! If so just provide plastic glasses with the purchases of glass bottles.

(3) MIND THE NOISE

Our first room that we were provided was on the far side of the hotel which overlooked a waterfall, pool and hot tub area. On day 4 into our trip the waterfall area fell under construction. I'm not talking people hammering but I'm talking electric large Jack Hammers. They started at 8:30 am went all day - couldn't even have a nap in the late afternoon. Why on earth would the staff even think anyone would want to stay on that side of the hotel while under construction is beyond me. It ws my understanding that the hotal was at 38 to 40% capacity. No only that - the slow season is going to be begining within the next 30 days or so could that have not waited till then? Bottom line, the construction forman took pity on us and had us moved a week into our holiday. So we packed up in 85 degree weather called for the doorman and we were moved.

(4) DON'T TRY TO CALL YOUR TOUR REPRESENTATIVE

I tried that too, twice and left messages advising that "I had some concerns with the hotel" I received a call back but again I guess you had to be the room to get the call. We were not. What prevented the representative from going to the hotel at 9 am or so and letting us know that she would meet for coffee in 30 mins or so - Didn't happen.

(5) THEY HIDE THE FOOD FOR THE BUFFET

Yes, you read it right. Went for breakfast at the buffet, sadly the only thing that I was going to have was an omellette but there were no fillers. When I asked for bacon the staff member pulled a vat of it from under the counter? What was there a bacon shortage I wasn't aware of?

(6) A SHINING STAR

This note is on the positive side, if you do decide to go to Mazatlan, please drop in and see our good friend Roman - He was the only light at the Hotel and doesn't even work for them. He works for the small poolside bar/bistro and the prices are alot cheaper than at the the hotel bar. He was indeed our salvation.

I can continue on however, I think the above reasons are enough to take the wind out of anyone sails. Take this as a warning DO NOT expect anything from this establishment and do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
To whom it may concern (blacklion37),

I am writing this letter in the hopes of being able to right, what obviously was “a wrong” done to you; and by this I mean a lack of response, and immediate solution to the above mentioned needs. As a member of the family of owners, and a resent asset to the management staff, I would like to personally apologize for the manner in which your stay with our establishment was managed. The points made in your posting are well received and are definitely areas in which I will personally strive to improve and help in the training of staff and management. As to the lack of response made from our management, I am shocked at the way in which your concerns where resolved. I would like to offer my personal assistance in the hopes of working out a vacation package which truly suits your needs and allows the Hotel to give you the level of service and quality truly representative of the Hotel, the employees and Mazatlan itself. I would ask that you please contact me directly so that we may further discuss the scenario that you where in and attempt to come up with an accord that would convince you to give us another shot, and hopefully turn your next review into a positive one.

I in advance thank you for your time, consideration and prompt response.

Regards,

CANADA: 1 866 547 5447

Been to Hotel Playa Mazatlan? Share your experiences!