“Very good value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Mazatlan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Playa Mazatlan to your Saves list
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Playa Gaviotas 202 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Zacatecas
“Very good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We went to Mazatlan on out motorcycles. They let us park them in a separate area so they would be safe. The room was very comfortable although the bathroom was a little outdated. View from the restaurant was great but food only so so. There are lots of good restaurants nearby. The only thing i did not like is that the hotel is old and it has the pool in a plaza at the center of the hotel, not by the sea. Overall, very good value.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your comments, please note that we are currently in discussions on how we can accommodate an ocean side pool, as this seems to be the ongoing trends, we have also gone through a process of remodeling 85% of our rooms, perhaps during your next stay you can consider one of the 19 categories that we offer, I am sure one of them will have a bathrooms that will better suit your needs. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in establishing your next trip.

Best wishes,
LT VIENT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Read the reviews and booked this hotel.Not quite what I was expecting.
The beach & location were good. Alot of areas to walk around.
The beach chairs were very very hard.So hard and you couldn't sit on them for any length of time.
The food was often cold and not very good.Except for the Italian restaurant. It was awesome!!
Very Mexican. Alot of locals at the hotel and very little English spoken from staff.
Bed were very hard and so were the pillows. All in all I would not go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear valued guest,
I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to make a comment about your stay, albeit it is not the kind of comment that I am traditionally looking for, we receive all points accordingly, and will work towards a resolve. In regards to the beach chairs; these are a “signature” of the hotel, as they have been with us for many years, they are designed ergonomically yet are made out of fiberglass, so I can understand the comment about them being hard, please note that retaining any kind of equipment near the Ocean is extremely hard, which is the reason why we use such “sturdy” materials. I will take your point in to consideration and perhaps begin offering cushions, please note that most clients speak in a positive manner about these chairs and have even expressed interest in purchasing them. I am glad to hear that you approved of our Italian restaurant. The staff is currently immersed in an English course in the hopes of increasing their communication ability with our guests, yet note that the hotel does cater to Mexican clients as well, and you will always come across more Mexicans than you do North Americans or Canadians when visiting Mexico. In regards to the hard beds, the hotel offers 19 different categories of rooms, some with varying levels of mattresses, perhaps I can be of service in better selecting a room that would suit your needs during a potential future visit. If we do not receive the honor of serving during your visit, please note that Mazatlan has a high variety of rooms and room types to suit all needs, I would be happy to as well help in going through options. We hope you will visit Mazatlan again soon.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

First time at this hotel. Booked it for the location and price. So, price first. Would have been a great price if not for the food (more later). Location was great. While you still needed to take a bus or Pulmonia to the downtown and market everything else that we wanted to do was within walking distance. The beach was fabulous! Our room was sold to us as ocean view - what an ocean view! We could almost reach out and touch the people on the beach but without the noise. And, you could walk on the beach forever!
Room was what I would expect except that it was immaculately clean. I have stayed in 2 to 5 stars and this was the cleanest I have ever been in. The maid was awesome (Rosarbo!) and all the other cleaning staff were equally good.
Pool area was great and the water in the pool was almost too warm (not what I have found at other pools). The pool was always clean and there were people cleaning it out of flower petals, etc, during the day.
Check in and out was fast and efficient and all inquires were handled well but staff did not seem to have a good grasp of English. However, I try to book hotels that are smaller and more authentic Mexican so that can be expected. .
Staff in the bars and buffet restaurant was not what I was used to. If you did not want coffee when you first sat down then you were pretty much ignored for the rest of the meal unless you made a major effort to attract their attention. Four other places in Mexico we had a personal waiter by the third day who took us to a table that we would be happy with (always wanted to be close to the ocean) and would have our favorite drinks waiting at the table when we got back from the buffet. The bar staff mostly did not speak any English so you got many surprises when you ordered a drink.
Although I am not sure what connection he has to the hotel - the man who was booking tours was absolutely disgusting. When we went to book some tours he did not seem to know what we wanted although he spoke very good English. Then he had to consult with someone on the phone and then the price suddenly changed. The final insult was when he picked his nose right in front of us - walked away in disgust and booked tours on the phone.
Reviewing the food is difficult and confusing. Let's start with the buffet. Absolutely disgusting! Breakfast can always be okay as they make omelets to order. Lunch was marginal but we don't usually eat lunch. Dinner was hamburgers, hot dogs and fries with steak that was 1/4 inch thick and cooked to shoe leather and possibly under cooked potatoes, overcooked veggies and a few Mexican dishes. Salad bar usually consisted of lettuce, maybe tomatoes and cucumbers, some dressings and croutons, seeds, etc. Sorry, I forgot the over cooked chicken. And, instead of having waiters cleaning tables in a timely manner they would bring out these big bins on wheels which were noisy and not what you would expect at a 4 star, to pick up the dirty dishes.

There are supposed to be several other restaurants on the property but we only found two. One was an Italian which was absolutely excellent. We went back many times (and they remembered us!).Between the two of us we had six different meals and would have more but we had to order the same thing again as it was soooo goooood!

The Mexican restaurant was closed when we wanted to go so could not rate it.

There was supposed to be an entertainment, meal venue but we could never seem to get a reservation or find out what was happening at the venue on a particular night. I think they may have had it closed as they seemed to have a lot of graduations going on.

If you wander around the hotel you will find some interesting corridors and if you go down them you will be rewarded with a quiet garden spot, a pool and hot tub and waterfall, etc.
I would go back again but not all inclusive as the room, view, clean room and walking beach are worth it.

Room Tip: Book on the north side of the hotel if you want quite. Ocean view is worth th.e price
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,
Let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to post such an illustrative and complete review of our property, please note that I read all of the reviews and work on trying to improve all areas mentioned that are within our grasp, and I feel you mentioned a few. We are currently undergoing an English training program in the hopes of expanding the language abilities of our staff, I will personally work with the chef to make sure that he is reviewing the quality of the product that he is serving in the restaurant and in particular the buffets, as I am a big believer that food is an important part of visiting our property. In regards to not locating the restaurants, I have added some signage around the hotel since receiving your comment as well as gone through a training of our reservation staff, to ensure that they are giving you the map and schedules for all of our amenities. You will as well now locate this information in your room. The carts in the restaurant is due to the overwhelming amount of people that eat at the buffets, sometimes serving over 1400 servings in one seating, as you might have noticed the service in our specialty restaurants is more directed, yet we do offer upgraded options to your package that would allow you the opportunity to order off the menu with and without the all inclusive package, perhaps during your next visit we can go over these options to make sure that we select the best one for you and your family. Please feel free to contact me direct as I would like to be of personal assistance in selecting the best options for you. We are honored to know that we might have the opportunity to impact your next visit.

Best Wishes and safe travels,
Mission, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have to say this hotel has one of the best beaches ever, with great weather, golden sand, easy surf, no undertow, great view out to the bay and beautiful sunsets. The location is spectacular, we spent a week just hanging out all day under the palapas in the lounge chairs watching the waves and the people. It was very relaxing. The waiters are all really great, their service was very attentive. The breakfast buffet was excellent every day. I chose this hotel over the others because of the ceviche bar at the beach, which we enjoyed. We were on the all-inclusive plan just to make things easy, but we were disappointed with the dinner buffet almost every night. (corn soup, mashed potatoes, white pasta, white buns, white rice, soggy fries, dry salad) We have been to lots of all-ins and this one just didn't have the variety of food that you expect to see. We also ate at their on-site Italian & the Mexican a la cartes and they were better than the buffet. For entertainment there was some music every evening with dinner, there was a Mexican music karaoke night and a flamenco dancer one evening but no big production shows. There is easy listening music around the pool in the daytime but no real thumping activities coordinator DJ getting the crowd going in a round of pool games or aquafit, so it is not like the atmosphere of some of the bigger resorts and that may be exactly what some people want. I thought it was a little quiet for entertainment but it is a smaller more local hotel. We happened to be there during a local high school sports tournament so the hotel filled up with rambunctious teens. We have kids of our own who we brought with us so we are familiar with how they are but when you put that many kids together without supervision it got loud and made us feel like we were living in a high school. I have never heard so much noise. We were in the wing where they put all the kids and were told we could not change rooms. It quieted down after a few nights but was kind of disturbing. On a happier note, I would recommend the pulmonias, they are right outside the hotel and are a fun way to ride to town. We visited the malecon and the market downtown for some bartering and shopping, lots of good prices. The entire downtown square in front of the cathedral was being replanted and will be beautiful when it is finished. The beach along the malecon is amazing and was a great walk, with restaurants on the beach to stop for a cerveza. No need to worry about finding a ride back, a pulmonia will find you. All in all this was a good hotel. If I could change anything I would splurge for ocean view and maybe skip the all inclusive part and just get the breakfast included. When you are there say Hi to Henry, a vendor on the beach who remembers everyone's name, he was a hoot. None of the vendors were bothersome, they don't step onto the property at all, they just walk by like a continuous shopping channel :)

Room Tip: Paying extra for pool view was not worth it for us, we ended up with a view of an elevator shaft. If...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such gracious and poignant comments about the hotel, our staff, our city and areas of opportunity. Please note that we review and consider all points that are submitted to us via this and other channels, and we do not take “negative” comments lightly. As we have been working on improving our all inclusive. I appreciate you mentioning how we can increase the value of how it is managed. Although we are a small hotel and our aim is to retain a “calm” family oriented property, we do want all of our guests to leave satisfied with what they are paying for. It sound to me like you missed out on some of the “larger productions” that we put on in the Venado theatre, some of the shows are Caribbean night, International, Lip sync Show, Magic Voyage, etc. these are 45 minute shows that consist of up to 12 dancers. Perhaps next time I can be of service personally in pointing out things that you might want to consider doing to meet the needs and tastes of all members of your group. As for the Sporting event group, we spoke with the teachers the second day after their arrival as we as well became aware of the loud nature of their gatherings, we were pleasantly surprised when they acquiesced with our request and became much calmer on the third fourth and fifth night of their stay. Again, please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of personal service to you.

Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Signed up for a week through Expedia. Supposed to include free Internet. Ads tout free Internet & balcony or patio throughout hotel. First room had neither. Was "upgraded" to a room that had Internet - at least in their mind. I run a business, partner needs access for programming. After three days in which hotel said "Wi Fi is fine" finally gave them 24 hour notice that we were vacating. Asked about refund for remaining three nights. Run around for the full 24 hours - "you went through agency, contact them." Expedia - "you hafta check with hotel" - "call us back tomorrow" and so forth. Given call cost $30 not going to waste my time trying to get either to do their job. Customer service SUCKS. And BTY if you are looking for a party hotel, this is it. If you want a quiet, pleasant stay, go somewhere else. Location is great if you want to live in tourist zone, sucks if you want to see historical district and more about Mazatlan.

Room Tip: Beach rooms will endure bands playing virtually all night, pool side rooms, and there are a lot of p...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear valued guest,
I am writing in response to your comments about your stay here at the hotel; I have only now become aware of a few emails that where submitted to me in my absence, among these one that was submitted through our website. Please note that our aim is to always please and offer clarity in our offerings. From what I am able to see on the notes on file, the front desk and maintenance office, through the combined efforts of Ana, attempted to give resolution to your request for improved internet – changed rooms, located you closer to antenna, offered use of office computers – to name a few, yet we were unable to fix the issue. I have contacted our IT department in the attempt of figuring out other options that might have been available and/or whether or not there was an issue with the internet connectivity, as we did not receive any other similar complaints. I do offer my apologies if the solutions offered did not resolve your issues. In regards to your request for re-imbursement and the “procedures” you where put through. Please note that although we did receive your reservation through a third party, and did not have the ability to reimburse you, we would have been more than happy to come up with other solutions that would have been possible. Please note that I would still like to work towards a solution that might help in changing your mind about our property and your all around stay. As for some of the notes on being a “party” hotel, I am surprised to hear that this is where you would rate our property as we are known for being the complete opposite, perhaps it might have been the holiday which was celebrated during the weekend of your stay. In either case, please note that your comment is noted and well received, I will continue to make efforts in perfecting our internet connectivity, and I would still like to be of service to you personally. Please feel free to contact me direct.

________________________________________
Hayward, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We went to Mazatlan for a wedding. The bride had sent a list of about 5 hotels close to the venue. We picked Hotel Playa Mazatlan. It was a great choice. Very centrally located, right on the beach. It's clean, the staff is very friendly and we walked to any number of restaurants within a few minutes. We decided that we will come back to Mexico and this would be where we would stay. We got a great package through expedia....air/hotel and breakfast every morning at their buffet. Very affordable. I'd recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful comment about your experience here with us, I am pleased to hear that were have earned the right to have you visit again. We will look forward to serving you and help in creating new memories and unforgettable experiences. I also hope that the wedding your came down for was lots of fun, and perhaps we can host your next friend’s wedding. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of personal service.

Noblesville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Mexico ie Mazatlan has had a very bad rap from the US do to what they call the danger do to the Drug Cartel. I have been going here for 30 years and I would argue it is safer than Indiana where I live. The past few years we have been staying for the month of February. The Hotel Playa is a great buy, beautiful, peaceful and the best kept secret for vacationers. I have been to Hawaii many times as well as all over the Caribbean and I can assure you this is the best value by far. The property and Management at the Playa are outstanding. There is as much or as little to do as you want. The beach is beautiful and the pools and hot tube are outstanding. I have never been disappointed in this place and plan to spend 6 week there next year. Give it a try, you'll be glad you did. Steve Dillinger, Hamilton County Indiana Commissioner

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Steve,

Your loyalty never seizes to amaze me, with everything that you are going through personally, and professionally I can’t believe you find the time to still write a comment for us. We are truly blessed to have you, your family and friends as our guests, and I am thrilled to hear that the good times, and great memories will only continue to get richer. The pics and videos that I got this year are still making me laugh, and wish you guys came down more often. Thank you again for everything that you do for us, and for me personally, I will look forward to spending some time together again next year, unless I come up and visit you and Rene sooner. Please keep me in the loop when you begin planning your next trip.

Best wishes and safe travels.
Your friend,
LT VIENT

Been to Hotel Playa Mazatlan? Share your experiences!