“On the Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Mazatlan

Save Saved
You added Hotel Playa Mazatlan to your Saves list
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Playa Gaviotas 202 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #4 of 75 hotels in Mazatlan
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“On the Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I have stayed at the Playa Mazatlan many time over the last 30+ years and continue to find this hotel a perfect palce for a relaxing vacation on the beach. I have not been to the Playa in the last five years since my wife passed away, but upon my return I found some changes; an all inclusive plan, to include 3 specialty restaurants requiring reservations, a reduced ala carte menu, and no fireworks on Sunday evening. The facility continues to be well maintained, with three pools, a beautiful maintained beach and cabana area, clean well appointed rooms, a climbing wall and zip line, an an extremely friendly staff, with Pedro in the dining room and Fabiloa at the front desk leading the way. Henry the Hat Man, Raymond the Jeweler and Jesus the woodcarver, continue to lead the beach vendors making for a festive atmosphere on the beach. In the mornings watch for the oyster divers in front of Valentino's, to the left of the Playa and you can get a dozen on the beach for about $8 US. If you get tired of the all inclusive fare, try Chili Peppers on the beach for 12 of the largest shrimp for 2 people, fixed 4 different ways, or the Panama Restaurant for an incredible selection of pastries and wonderful local Mexican and American dishes. The Playa Mazatlan is perfectly located in the Golden Zone, the American Consulate is across the street and there is plenty of shopping within walking distance of the hotel. Enjoy the experience...

Room Tip: If possible, stay on the right or North side of the hotel to avoid loud music from Oyster Joe's
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear valued guest,
We truly appreciate your comments and advise to fellow travelers, I have to agree with all of your recommendations, it seems that you have been very observant over the last 30 years, and have even learned some of the “local secrets”. I hope other travelers are seeing the same changes and upgrades in a positive light, and we are happy to hear that after 30 years and a 5 year hiatus, we are still your selection for accommodations in Mazatlan, I hope that we can continue to bring changes that are noticeable and well received by our loyal clients. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you when planning your next trip.

751 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Whistler BC Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We went to Mazatlan for the first time in January did a lot of research on the place to stay as the prices were all very similar. I read a review here on Tripadvisor and got in contact with the reviewer... interesting although she had not stayed at the Playa it was her reccomendation after walking the beach so many times and seeing what the properties had to offer.
She was right it was perfect.
We upgraded to Ocean View right away had a room on the side away from the bar restaurant room 411.. well worth the upgrade if you love the sound of the ocean!
The hotel is by far the Cleanest I have ever been too they never seem to stop.
The staff is friendly and helpful and it seemed all staff were great from waitors to bar to maids managers simply cnat say enough..
It is different though here I have alwas gone to all inclusive exclusivelly and this hotel had a lot of clients that were on a EP ..it makes things a little different in that you need to show your number each and everytime you eat or have a drink which was not a problem had we had a meeting with our rep ( who unfortunatly we never did see) to let us know how it all worked of course we managed but of would have been nice to have an orientation.
The food .... only downside to the food was there was definitly not enough vegetarian options salad bar was sparce ...also nothing is labeled... the food was good but generally not hot enough....
The a la cartes were excellant ( and hot)
We were fortunate to have been invited to a wonderful meall in the penthouse only about 20 of us it was excellant and a wonderful end to our vacation..
All and all this was a perfect place for us relaxing quiet..
And I amcertain we will go back..
i only wish they would get the salda bar issue figured out as I have a daughter I would ove to bring but she truly would not be able to eat there:(((

Dear valued guest,
We appreciate your direction and kind comments about our staff and facilities, and I am thrilled to hear that you where able to pick us out from the comments of our other guests and visitors, it is always an extra pat on the back when we can be recommended. I am glad to hear that the upgrade worked out for you and that you where able to partake of our chef table (dinner at the penthouse). I will discuss your comments with our chef and food and beverage manager, in the hopes of coming up with a menu that would satisfy the needs of our more demanding vegetarian clients, our aim is to please, so note that we would be happy to discuss particular menu options or dietary needs if your daughter might have, if she in fact comes and visits us as well, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning and coordinating this request.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel in a prime location, and it's so nice to be DIRECTLY on the beach (ie, take a few steps from your room and hey! There's the ocean).

All the staff were incredibly nice, and willing to pull out all the stops to help make people as comfortable as possible. They gave great advice for first-time visitors.

The property is beautiful - loved the flowers, the great tile work in the rooms, the huge green spaces/courtyards. Everything was kept spotless all the time, including the beach - staff were literally out sweeping it every morning.

The vibe was nice - really relaxed and "anything goes." Neither the staff nor the other guests were at all pretentious or stuck up.

The only downside for us was the low selection of vegetarian food off the menu. I think you might have more selection if you chose the all-inclusive and ate at the buffets, but even the other restaurants in the area were quite low on veggie options. There is a supermarket (Mega) nearby so I'd recommend a room with a kitchenette if you have dietary restrictions.

Room Tip: I didn't take an Ocean View room but I had a look at them and they seem worth the extra money. G...
Dear valued guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments about our property, the staff and our amenities. It is always an honor to hear that we had the opportunity to serve first time visitors to Mazatlan, and represent our port well. I will take your comment into consideration, as I find it important that guest of all dietary needs feel welcome and satisfied on our property. Please note that although we might not have offered a variety of options on our menu for Vegetarians, we would be happy to get creative and make a few things for you on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me direct and I can assist you with this process. We will look forward to hosting you in the near future.
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I travel 5 months a year, every year. So, I sleep on a lot of beds! I read many of the previous reviews and notcied that beds were hard here, but I thought it can't be that bad...

It was like sleeping on the floor with a rock for a pillow.

I don't usually write negative reviews on hotels, but I felt this deserved it. To many other reviewers have made the same comments.

Other than the internet being painfully slow, it was a nice place.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience, and valuable opinion about our beds. As you may know from your travels, concrete based beds are prevalent in Mexico; the hotel is no exception; yet we have begun the process of remodeling this feature in the majority of our rooms, in all our Deluxe and above categories you will find that we know offer box springs and Simmons beauty rest mattresses for your comfort. We will continue with this remodeling until we can convert all beds in the hotel (over 800). Please feel free to contact me during your next visit as I would like to help in the selection of your room, and explain some of the cost/benefit features in the selection of your room. We as well appreciate the kind comment about the other amenities in the hotel.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This holiday was so relaxing at the PLAYA MAZATLAN.The staff were so friendly and helpful.The food was very good.Lots of selection.Very clean rooms,thanks to the hard working cleaning staff.The hotel was so clean all day long.As the cleaning staff made sure it was very clean.There is purified water in every room . We had pool view room,Same room as last year,We loved it.The beaches were so clean,They had staff cleaning the beaches every morning.The waiters on the beach always made sure we had a beverage. EMBURTO was an excellent waiter.All the waiters were so friendly; and the bar staff.The beach vendors are so friendly.Walks on the beach you can walk for miles,forgetting all about the worries in the world.We had entertainment every night on the terrace. From shows to dancing your feet off The Main pool was so warm.They had activities from noon til 3.00pm everyday around the main pool.There is great shopping all around the Golden Zone.Lots of excellent restaraunts .We chose the all inclusive.The shop keepers are all so friendly and helpful. We felt safe and secure at all times.The hotel had security 24-7.The Tourist Police on the streets were every where,making you feel safe and secure
The sunrises and sunsets were beautiful .The sun shone everyday.
There are activities for the children everyday.The PLAYA MAZATLAN is outstanding. We will stay no where else.Its our second home away from home.cannot wait til next years holiday.We have met many dear friends in Mazatlan.I left with tears this year.Missing all of our friends.My husband and I had a great vacation again.Til next time. We miss Mazatlan everyday.
I would recommend this hotel. It is great for couples and families of all ages.AUDIOS AMIGOS. WE LOVE MAZATLAN AND THE HOTEL PLAYA.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms on the south side near the RAMADA INN, are noisy bring ear plugs,After the b...
Dear valued guest,

We are thrilled and touched by your comments, we feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to be such an important part of your Mazatlan vacation. It is always great to hear that we will be honored by your repeat visit, and that you have had the chance to meet some of our other guests. We strive for excellence in cleanliness and we are happy to hear that those efforts have been noticed, I will let the management staff know about your comments. I also agree with your comment about Humberto, he has been with us for over 25 years, and has over time become an intricate part of the playa experience. I will let him know that he again received public recognition. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you in establishing your next year stay.

Best Wishes and safe travels,
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

What is there to complain about..........Nothing you're on the beach food is awesome and most of all the beer is cold. The staff amazing,service outstanding, and the managment always professional with time to stop and talk. Wasn't the first time and wont be the last!!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear valued guest,
We truly appreciate your time and commitment to our destination and particularly our resort. We would love to hear more about your stay and experiences while at the Playa Mazatlan. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of personal service to you. We will look forward to your next visit.

Regards,
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My family has been coming to hotel playa mazatlan for Christmas and new years for 10 years. The hotel has the best location for ocean view rooms. All of the hotel is being renovated with beautiful new decor. The same wonderful staff has been there and remember us when we return each year. The ocean front restaurant is fabulous to start the morning out with breakfast. There are 3 new restaurants including a sports bar that the concierge opened especially for us to watch american college football bowl game! My two boys and there cousins were entertained every day by the fabulous new activitiies staff. They are all so wonderful with the guests especially raul hernandez alvarado made sure everyone was having fun. The boys played games at pool side such as coconut bowling, dart and ping pong tournaments. Every afternoon they couldn't wait for beach volleyball or beach fotball! We are returning for carnival in February and again for Christmas.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear valued guest,
It is a pleasure to read such a thrilling comment, and an honor to know that we have been a part of your Christmas celebration for the last 10 years. I will personally thank Raul for having a positive impact on your stay and I am pleased to hear that you noticed some of our continued updates to the property, our aim is always to please and offer new and exciting experiences to all of our guests. I am sure that experiencing our Carnival festivities will be an experience that you will enjoy. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns that you might have.
Best Wishes and safe travels,
LT VIENT

Been to Hotel Playa Mazatlan? Share your experiences!