“Christmas in paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Mazatlan

You added Hotel Playa Mazatlan to your Saves list
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Playa Gaviotas 202 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
“Christmas in paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

My family has been coming to hotel playa mazatlan for Christmas and new years for 10 years. The hotel has the best location for ocean view rooms. All of the hotel is being renovated with beautiful new decor. The same wonderful staff has been there and remember us when we return each year. The ocean front restaurant is fabulous to start the morning out with breakfast. There are 3 new restaurants including a sports bar that the concierge opened especially for us to watch american college football bowl game! My two boys and there cousins were entertained every day by the fabulous new activitiies staff. They are all so wonderful with the guests especially raul hernandez alvarado made sure everyone was having fun. The boys played games at pool side such as coconut bowling, dart and ping pong tournaments. Every afternoon they couldn't wait for beach volleyball or beach fotball! We are returning for carnival in February and again for Christmas.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear valued guest,
It is a pleasure to read such a thrilling comment, and an honor to know that we have been a part of your Christmas celebration for the last 10 years. I will personally thank Raul for having a positive impact on your stay and I am pleased to hear that you noticed some of our continued updates to the property, our aim is always to please and offer new and exciting experiences to all of our guests. I am sure that experiencing our Carnival festivities will be an experience that you will enjoy. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns that you might have.
Best Wishes and safe travels,
LT VIENT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

For this being my first time in Mazatland they sure made my stay special ! Amazing staff, as they were always friendly! And Raul and the other activities staff were a blast ! Always smiling ! Definitely can't wait to come back for spring break !

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Valued guest,
We appreciate your positive feedback about our activities team, I know Raul Jr. will be thrilled to hear that he and his team helped make a positive impact on you and your family. We can’t wait to have you back! Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service to you.
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We spent a January week at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan, and it was one of our best, most relaxing vacations ever. The hotel itself is wonderful. The first of the Zona Dorada (Golden Zone) hotels, built in 1952, it has retained a distinctly Mexican character with colonial-style architecture. It is spotlessly clean. Right on the beach, we made it our daily routine to swim first, breakfast second. The breakfast buffet on the beach-front patio is much more than just breakfast. The waiters are gracious, standing by to offer any additional food or assistance. The hotel is also well-located as it is an easy walk or bus-ride to town.

Room Tip: We splurged on an ocean-front room. It took our breath away, the first time we walked into the room...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,
We are thrilled to hear of your experience, and feel proud to be part of what sounds like a wonderful experience in Mazatlan. Thank you for posting such positive feedback and encouraging other potential guests. Please feel free to contact me if I can personally be of service to you.
Best Wishes and Safe travels,
Sanger, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family and I recently stayed at Playa Mazatla. There were a total of 7 of us and all had a fantastic time. The resort was quiet just after New Years but the staff was attentive and we got to know a lot of them by name. It is very family friendly as we had a 3 yr. old and an 8 yr. old with us. They painted ceramics every day with Miguel(I believe that was his name) who has been there when we went 10+ years ago. We were all inclusive and were treated top notch. My only complaint......after painting ceramics for 7 days my bag was heavy. It would have been nice if the hotel had a scale that you could use to see where you were at due to the change in regulations on the airlines you can no longer carry on ceramics they have to be packed. We will definetly go again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent experience, and we are thrilled to hear you came back to visit us after so many years. The painters name is Manuel, I will let him know that he again received mention on this site, and that the comments where favorable as usual. I was unaware about the change in policy for ceramics, and I think that your advise on the matter is something doable, I will speak with my management team to see if it will be feasible to obtain a scale that can meet this purpose. I hope we will have the opportunity to be of service to you and yours again soon, please feel free to contact me if I can personally be of service.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I have no complaints other than hard beds and too much noise until midnight. Everything else was either fine, or really good. Our ocean view room overlooked the dining/dancing area and there was live music every night. It was well attended every night so they were having fun. I couldn't get to sleep. I'm not sure if this was just because it was New Years week or if it's normal.

The beach is great. The location is great. Access to dining, shopping, transportation, banks, etc is awesome. The staff was good, really friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and well kept. The rooms are plenty big enough. Just get me a decent bed/pillows and I'd be happy going back any time.

Room Tip: Beds are hard, pillows are flat. Our room overlooked the dining and dancing area. There was live mus...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your understanding and candor about the rooms and all around situation of the hotel. As mentioned holidays do tend to bring out a few more rowdy people than usual, as it is part of our culture to constantly celebrate. I would be happy to discuss various room options that would offer either a better location (further from music) or added amenities, as the hotel has 19 different categories of rooms. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning for your next stay, and going over some of the various options I mention.

Guadalajara, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

it took nearly 2 hours to get our rooms! but the worst part was that nobody was in charge or proactive enough to find a solution! it doesn't matter how nice a place looks if the service it's no good! it's no moneys worth

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear valued guest,

I am writing in the hopes of following up on your comments, as a member of the family of owners and management team, we find it very important to look further into complaints by part of our guests. As you might have noticed in the majority of our other reviews, service is not an area in which we are usually lacking, so I would like to better understand your personal situation in the hopes of resolving the issues for future guests, and hopefully one day for you and yours. Please contact me direct and let me know more about what the particulars where I would truly appreciate your direction. I am curious to hear if the delay had something to do with your time of arrival, as we are particularly booked during this time of the year so rooms are rarely becoming available prior to their check in time (3:00pm)

Atascadero, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Review Paradise in Paradise says it all! I stayed for the 2nd time with my 7 yr. old grandson over Thanksgiving Vaacation. I chose Hotel Playa the 1st time because of the great Trip Advisor reviews. Stayed there again because it is such an Amazing hotel; I wouldn't consider staying elsewhere! The hotel's ambience, beautiful beach, friendly staff everywhere, delicious food, fun Kid's Club, activities and shows make this the very best place to stay! We will return next year! My special thank you to Elizabeth, the Concierge, manager Raul, assist. manager Miguel, favorite bell boy and friend Rudolfo (Rudy), breakfast servers Regino & Pedro, dinner servers Jorge & Abraham, Terazza bartender Daniel, and all the others who made our stay another unforgettable experience! The All Inclusive? Food was absolutely delicious everywhere! Italian Restaurant must be a 5 star ( the beef medallions & Lasagna were our favorite). If you stay once, you'll never stay elsewhere! See you next Thanksgiving ( will be thinking about the lovely Turkey dinner you provided)!!! Gracias to all!

Room Tip: Loved our Ocean View room in the tower; quiet & beautiful sunrises & sunsets from our balcon...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear valued guest.
We are very touched by your promise to return and your already returning business, I am very pleased to hear that specific members of our team helped in making this an unforgettable experience. I will personally pass on your comments and thank them for everything that they do. It sounds like you had an opportunity to take advantage of the whole property and our amenities, which makes us proud. Thank you again for your continued business. Please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service in planning your next stay.
LT VIENT

Been to Hotel Playa Mazatlan? Share your experiences!