“Just Ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Playa Mazatlan

You added Hotel Playa Mazatlan to your Saves list
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Playa Gaviotas 202 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Mazatlan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Prince Rupert, Canada
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

. What did we think of the resort. Well the resort has the best beach in the area it is very clean and nice. When we arrived I asked about the fridge that I requested and I also had a code from Abril Jiménez at the resort that I had contacted and told I needed it for medication. They said at the front desk oh we have a waiting list that you need to go on it I explained to them I needed it for meds they didn't care. The next morning when we met with the Sun wing rep I explained to him he had no more luck than I did. So I have to toss a couple hundred dollars in insulin not impressed. From what I can see it is far from all inclusive it filled up with Mexican people every couple days and lots of Canadian people that just rent rooms and eat out or order from the resort menu. And now the food it was below average the buffet was very small and the food was never hot and pretty much the same most days chicken, beef, fish cold pasta . I owned a restaurant at one time I watched a girl on the grill take tongs for raw chicken and use them to pickup cooked chicken that is a no no. Any other resorts we have been at the head chef has always checked food temp in the trays. Did not see that at this resort. Serve in the buffet was slow and it was never full and they had lots of worker standing around and talking most morning you would be finished breakfast before coffee arrived our last morning we didn’t even get coffee we had breakfast with a couple from Canada they went by us to serve three Mexican guys? They will not make it at all inclusive if they do not change. Both the Mexican an Italian Restaurant were very good you can tell they are use to paying customers. I also have not seen so many people sick coming from both ends at least eight couple my wife included one couple from Edmonton also most couldn't,t fly. Would I go back for sure to Mazatlan maybe not to Playa Mazatlan if I did I would not go all inclusive we really liked the area and can not say enough about your great service. Forgive my grammar and spelling. I am going to post on trip advisor something I do not normally do but people should know some things the fridge was a big thing for me and they had them because we seen them moving them . They almost seem to cater to the Mexican people a lot more. They even missed making up our room one day and it was one of the less busy days. If you do not mine eating out then it is not a bad resort. If you need a fridge and travel with meds then good luck.

Room Tip: Do Not choose room 320 it is noisy most nights and I paid extr for it
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear robm897,

I am writing in response to both a letter that we received from you, as well as a comment that we received on your behalf on Trip Advisor. I would like to personally comment on your experience in the hopes of gaining some clarity:

1 – “Well the resort has the best beach in the area it is very clean and nice.” We appreciate your comments as we constantly strive to improve upon the property and maintain the standards that we feel our guest enjoy.
2 – “When we arrived I asked about the fridge you requested and I also had a code from Abril Jiménez at the resort that I had contacted and told I needed it for medication.” I did receive this request and personally confirmed that it would be available, as the importance was specified directly to me and the front desk by Miss. Jimenez. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that this caused you as well as the expense. Note that it was not by lack of desire to help on behalf of our employees, but more so from lack authority to make the calls that needed to be made, in order to satisfy this need that “we” had confirmed could be fulfilled. For this I take personal responsibility and offer my contact information in the hopes that would could speak and acknowledge some form of resolve.
3 –“They said at the front desk oh we have a waiting list that you need to go on it I explained to them I needed it for meds they didn't care.” The hotel has a waiting list policy in regards to our refrigerators due to the small quantity that we have on hand, outside of those already in room categories which include one. For this reason a waiting list is created in the hopes of trying to meet everyone’s’ needs, obviously your experience was an example of the need to purchase more (which we have). There was a communication error in putting you on the list as you had reserved the machine many days prior to your arrival. I have taken action on this matter and I am currently retaining a follow up process to ensure that it does not happen again. I would again note that it was not by a lack of subservient desire from our employees, but by a stern follow through of the Hotel’s policy that this issue occurred.
4 –“ From what I can see it is far from all inclusive it filled up with Mexican people every couple days and lots of Canadian people that just rent rooms and eat out or order from the resort menu.” I am not 100% clear on this comment, but I would note that “yes” we cater to both national and international markets at varied and sometimes same times of the year, I would think that when visiting a country abroad meeting people from that country is expected. In regards to people eating out of the property, note that we cater to both All inclusive and traditional clients, hence they are allowed to eat at any of our restaurants or outside of the hotel.
5- “And now the food it was below average the buffet was very small and the food was never hot and pretty much the same most days chicken, beef, fish cold pasta” I can ensure you that the menu varies on a daily basis, this can be reviewed on our website to ensure that you and taste variety, I will note that as is the case in “most” all inclusive resorts, there are only so many kinds of “foods” that can be served, even though we vary ingredients, seasoning and preparation style, some people might only notice that the protein in being repeated (IE: Smoked fish, breaded fish or Steak Fajitas, Carne asada). Although the size of the buffet is limited, it has catered to hundreds of guests at a time for over 60 years, with a consistent flow of repeat clients. We have in fact though built a completely different buffet line inside our “Salon Venado” which will allow for a large portion of the people to opt between one restaurant or the other for the buffet service. It seems you might have been here while we were in the process of remodeling it, as you might have noticed on one of our posters. I again apologize to you for this problem, as I am hoping that you will give us another opportunity to change your mind about our property, food and service.
6 –“ I owned a restaurant at one time I watched a girl on the grill take tongs for raw chicken and use them to pickup cooked chicken that is a no no. Any other resorts we have been at the head chef has always checked food temp in the trays. Did not see that at this resort.” Please note that this is a comment that concerns me, as we are the first hotel to obtain a “Hygiene” award in Mazatlan, and we have retained it for over 16 years consecutively, I am sure there was a miss-interpretation of the situation, as this is something that we are policing on a daily basis. In regards to our chef, he is actually on premises daily and is always doing the afore mentioned rounds, as well as we have multiple Sioux chefs doing the same, I would point out that unless visiting the restaurant at varied hours, during different types of service, and for extended periods of times, you might not have the opportunity to “see them” doing this task. I would be happy to personally show you around the facilities and our kitchens, if you would like to learn more about how we manage our kitchens.
7-“ I also have not seen so many people sick coming from both ends at least eight couple my wife included one couple from Edmonton also most couldn't fly.” I show concern for this statement as well, as it eludes to the hotel perhaps being responsible, again I would note the level of quality with which our food is handled and prepared. As the operations manager of this hotel I am constantly in contact with our International guests and kept up to date on any reports being submitted to our concierge or infirmary, none of the people you mention came forward to request any assistance, so we would have had no way of either assisting them or making sure that they were treated accordingly. Are these people that were at the hotel? Where else had they eaten?
8 –“Would I go back for sure to Mazatlan maybe not to Playa Mazatlan if I did I would not go all inclusive we really liked the area” We are saddened to hear that your experience with us was not one to remember in a positive light, and we would love to have the opportunity to change your mind about who we are, note that after 60+ years in business we have had the opportunity to boast 85% return client satisfaction, yet we strive to have 100%.

I again apologize for your inconvenience and I thank you for your candid opinion and observations over areas of possible improvement. I will continue to strive for excellence and if we have the opportunity to serve you and your family once again, I ask that you please do not hesitate to contact me directly with your needs and concerns.

Best wishes,
ltvient@hotelplayamazatlan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
West Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our first visit to Mazatlan so we were unsure about a lot of things -- however, after our 3 week stay at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan and our walking and "pneumonia" tours of the city we are now very sure that we will be back to spend more time at the Hotel Playa Mazatlan.

All of the staff at the hotel were very helpful, friendly, and attentive to our needs and questions. The location of the hotel is close to perfect if not perfect. The beach is sandy, clean, and great for walking. The sound of the surf at night in our ocean front room was wonderful and we were never bothered by any noise from the hotel or from surrounding establishments.The hotel is clean and well maintained. From what we saw it seems that the owners are not only maintaining a great family hotel, but are also renovating the hotel to keep it in step with the times.

We were "all inclusive" and found the restaurants to be clean, the food great (try the corn pie at Robertos), and the service was excellent. The bar drinks were just fine and the beer was cold - wish we were there right now!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear valued guest (cincopesosworth)

I am writing to personally thank you for your kind words about our staff, facility, location, service and continued improvements on the hotel. I am glad to hear that we were able to create a memorable experience that will allot us the opportunity to be of service to you and yours once again. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service to you when planning your next stay.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have been to mazatlan three times . We have had the greatest time at the Playa Mazatlan every time we have stayed there . The food is great the service is like no other.This is the first time going all inclusive. And will be doing it again at the Playa Mazatlan next year! We had a room on the fourth floor over looking the main pool . It had a awsome view and was very quiet. The room was very clean and the maid service was great. We felt very safe with the security at the playa mazatlan security was everywhere on the beach, And all around the hotel 24 hours.All the staff is very very friendly. We would recomend anyone to stay at the playa mazatlan for a great Mazatlan experience. The food was awsome at all the restaurants and the Italian restauraunt on the top deck was at least a five star dinning experience. The beach vendors are very friendly and we found the golden zone great for shopping. My wife and myself had no problem walking the streets in all areas of the golden zone feeling safe.Bring your friends and family to Mazatlan for a great time and mexican holiday! We are bringing our family next year along with our five year old grandson as there will be lots for them to see and do.

Room Tip: Garden and pool view rooms are great. and we have heard that the beach views are also very nice from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear valued guest (john r)

I am writing you in response to your positive comments about our staff, facilities, locations, amenities and service. It makes us proud to hear that our efforts are being well received and that we have gained yet another returning client. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns, or if I could be of service in setting up your travel plans. We will look forward to serving you and yours soon.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,
Delta, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

well wIe are just getting ready to leave after another awesome time at the Playa Mazatlan Hotel.
It was an extended stay for some of us and shorter stays for others that switched off and came home as others took a trip down.
My kids came down for xmas this year with there dad and my girlfriend and her kids and they alll had a great time.
I came down for 3 weeks in mid January and am heading home today....
The staff was great as always and are more than willing to try to do what ever you need ..
The room we request and get every year was perfect as usual
Just want to thank all the staff and hotel personell that make our trip great every year and we will be seeing you next year

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest (Heather S)

I am writing to personally thank you for your continued loyalty and support, I am glad to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations again this year. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions, concerns or if I may be of service in setting up your next trip.

Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My family and I have been attending the Hotel Playa Mazatlan every Thanksgiving for years. We usually stay a week. The hotel's beachfront is the best in Mazatlan with great cabanas for shade and a nice wide beach (at some other hotels the tide eventually covers the entire beach). The food is delicious. Recently, they have opened some more restaurants and have gone to an all-inclusive plan, which is very affordable and convenient. The staff is always nice and helpful. We usually have no complaints and always enjoy our stay. We never want to leave!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear valued guest (Lauren K)

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a comment about your experiences here at the Hotel, it is always a pleasure to hear that our efforts are well received and causing an impact on the quality of your stay. We will look forward to serving you and yours during thanksgiving this year once again, and hopefully this time, we will get to celebrate with one more generation.

We wish you the best,
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Firstly I would like to note I am not a picky person nor is my husband! We are part way through our 2 week stay at the Playa in Mazatlan which has some great staff and some lovely singers that get you through dinner! When we first arrived we were put in a room on the 4th floor with no balcony and a view of air conditioners or something.....basically you could see a sliver of pool! So we immediately went down to be moved as there was no way we were staying for 2 weeks in a room that NO ONE would accept as fine! We are happy with our room now as it has a pool and garden view and a balcony so we can enjoy our morning coffee!
We have been to 4 other all inclusive resorts and this is not measuring up by any means so far! The resort is clean but other things are lacking hugely! The resort does not cater to picky eaters like the 2 kids that I have.....so far they are living on fries, a bit of fruit and buns! Oh and ice cream!
The food is ok but I really have a problem with seeing lots of tiny ants hanging out with the food!
The main restaurant La Terraza is buffet and ala carte but apparently not if you are all inclusive?! So we will have to try the other restaurant because you can order from a menu.....there are 3 restaurants but only 2 are in service at the moment!
The beds at this hotel are very firm! Not in a comfortable way! My husband and I have not slept properly since we arrived! Luckily kids can sleep on anything! I haven't yet asked if there is a foam or something we can add to the mattress.....so that will be tomorrow! The vendors are fine, the beach is gorgeous and we are hoping that things will improve.....but so far we are regretting the choice to stay 2 weeks! I will post again once our holiday is over!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear guest (dyzzi71)

I am writing in response to your recent posting about your stay here at the Playa Mazatlan Beach Hotel. I am a bit concerned as to some of your comments, being a member of the family of owners and management team, it is of upmost importance that I am able to cater to my guests needs. The first thing I would like to comment on is the room situation, although I am glad to hear that we moved you upon your request, I would like to further learn about “the balcony” situation as all of our rooms offer one, I am curious as to what room you where put in, so that I may verify personally. In regards to problems with the food, although we do not boast that we are able to cater to “all picky eaters” we do offer a wide variety within our restaurants and have in fact maintained all of the restaurants open according to schedule these last two weeks, perhaps we could offer you a tour or written scheduling of the eateries so that you may try them and see what is the best choice for your kids. I happen to have three young daughters that are picky eaters as well, and I have found that their favorite is all the food served from Los Tejabanes near the pool. Please feel free to contact me direct while you are here, so that I may work with you in person, in the hopes of better guiding you through your choices.

Best Wishes and Safe Travels,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Myself and my family stayed for 6 nights jan 11-17th. The staff at the playa is outstanding.. We had a number of issues with the rooms we booked and they did everything possible to make us happy and comfortable. We upgraded to a family room and my daughter ended up with horrible bites all over her legs two nights in a row. We all had a few bites.. They switched us to two pool view rooms and that was fine. My parents first room was damp and moldy in the bathroom. They switched to a dryer brighter room and were happy with that. The food is ok.. You just have to ask for toast and bacon on the morning for all inclusive. The Wait staff is awesome. Buffet lunch is fine and dinners were ok.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear value guest (Teenager44)

I would like to thank you for taking the time to make a positive comment about your stay. I am sorry to hear that you had a few issues during your stay, but happy to hear that we were able to accommodate to your needs. I hope we will have the opportunity to enjoy you and your families visit in the near future, as we will look forward to being of service.

ltvient@hotelplayamazatlan.com

Been to Hotel Playa Mazatlan? Share your experiences!