“The Perfect Choice Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Hotel Playa Mazatlan to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Hotel Playa Mazatlan
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Avenida Playa Gaviotas 202 | Zona Dorada, Mazatlan 82110, Mexico   |
Ranked #5 of 72 hotels in Mazatlan
Phoenix, Arizona
“The Perfect Choice Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

It was a fantastic stay at the Playa Mazatlan from 1/20-24th. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The staff provided excellent customer service and very friendly. The food was delicious. The layout and design of the hotel was the perfect size to do many things without getting lost when you compare it to more popular name larger hotels. As a travel professional I would highly recommend my clients to visit Mazatlan to explore this rustic, authentic colonial city that is ideal for any Baby Boomer looking for the right adventure. The deluxe ocean view rooms were fantastic and if it fits in your budget or your celebrating a Honeymoon the Presidential suite is superb with breath-taking views. Can't wait to visit and stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

668 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

First and foremost, the staff are wonderful. Everyone I had the opportunity to interact with were very kind and considerate. The hotel is a great vacation spot with an excellent beach for hotel guests. Also, the property is secure with watchmen on duty 24 hours a day. There are a number of different rooms to choose from to fit your vacation needs. The design of the property has a variety swimming pools for children and adults. In addition, the fitness area is a full workout area with a fitness instructor on duty during the mornings. One major factor that sets this property apart is the convenient location to the beach and the town area. I would highly recommend Hotel Playa.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear valued guest (Lawrence T)

I am writing to thank you for taking the time to make such a valuable comment about our property. I am glad to hear that we were able to provide you and yours with a memorable vacation experience. We will look forward to having the opportunity of being of service again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I could assist you with these plans.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have just returned from our fourth stay at Hotel Playa Mazatlan. We stayed in room #5001 from 1/14/2013 departing 1/25/2013.

First of all, I want to rebut the preposterous review submitted on January 14, 2013, that rated the cleanliness of this hotel a 2. That is absolutely ridiculous. Hotel Playa Mazatlan is spotless. There is not a time of the day when there are not employees sweeping and mopping every walkway throughout the hotel. The hotel's private beach is groomed every morning. The service is excellent. Not perfect, but excellent. We have yet to find a more perfect spot to lounge on the beach and be served where we sit. There is no more perfect swimming beach for our age bracket (mid 50's) and for children. The waves are gentle. The beach is shallow. There are beach merchants hawking their wares but they are not allowed on the hotel's private area and they respect your wishes if you simply say "no gracias."

5001 is the best room we have ever stayed in, not only at Hotel Playa Mazatlan but anywhere. It has a wrap-around view from east to west that includes a view of the entire Malecon, the lighthouse, all the way to a view of Isla Venada to the west that appears to be a stone's throw away. We are early to bed, early to rise people, and this room was simply perfect. We watched the sunrise from our balcony while doing morning stretches and exercise and also the sunset while sipping beer or tequila, relaxing after a day exploring downtown and relaxing on the beach. I seriously doubt that there is a more perfect room for a couple in all of Mazatlan. The room included a small kitchen with microwave, stove top, fridge, sink, dishes, silverware etc. It included 4 beers, 4 bottles of water, and soft drinks restocked every day for no extra charge. The bathroom was nothing spectacular (no jacuzzi / jetted tubs) but efficient and there was (as advertised) an amazing view of the islands. The bed was comfortable. The room had air conditioning that we never used. Another nice touch is the automated blinds on the outside of the wrap-around windows. They literally shut out all light and combined with closing the sliding glass doors and the doubled curtains shut out almost everything including the lapping waves. We love sleeping to the pounding surf so we never utilized this accommodation fully, but at high season or during Carnival, we imagine this feature comes in handy.

We visited the old town market every few days and bought papayas, pineapples and limes. Combined with pastries purchased at Panama the evening before, we had no need to go to breakfast, although it certainly didn't stop us from having late breakfasts / early lunches at Panama, El Tejibane, Angelina's or Lauren's (I believe my wife has a bit of Hobbit in her).

5001 is the perfect romantic refuge / honeymoon suite. We walked out on our balcony naked whenever we pleased. It was that private. You can nearly jump into the surf from the balcony. there is no need to leave your room for days, yet, with that wrap-around balcony, you are essentially lounging on the beach.

Pancho's, the best restaurant in all of Mazatlan, in our opinion, is just steps away by beach or street, as is Lizart, our all time favorite Mazatlan jewelry store. Many, many excellent restaurants (Panama, El Tejibane, Margarita's, Mr. Lobster, Gringo Lingo, Raggio, and on and on are within a short walk. Old Town is a 50 peso pulmonia ride away, or you can take a frequent bus for much less. That is why we stronly recommend that you do NOT book the all inclusive option at Hotel Playa Mazatlan. The food is passable, but not on par with the fantastic restaurants strewn throughout this wonderful city. La Terraza is certainly one of the most romantic atmosphere's of any restaurant in Mazatlan, but we recommend that you have drinks and enjoy some dancing in the evening after dinner at Pancho's or Topolo or 100 other excellent options.

We love Humberto and Alfredo, the beach waiters who have been serving us since our first visit over a decade ago.

If you are looking for a romantic escape, you owe yourselves a stay in boutique suite 5001, Hotel Playa Mazatlan. It may be cliche, but it doesn't get any better than this.

Room Tip: If you can't get room 5001 or are on a bit of a budget, book an ocean front room for under $100...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued guest (Tanzio_it)

I am writing to thank you not only for your posting, but what sounds to be years of loyalty to our destination and property. I am deeply touched by your comments and willingness to defend our standards as per other client’s comments. It is notable that you have taken the plunge into Mazatlan culture and traveled in and around the city to find new places and opportunities. I will point out that gastronomy is one of the selling points for the destination as we boast over 300 different restaurants and close to 70 various styles of cuisine from around the world. So I feel that your recommendations are the same I would give to a friend looking for a new place to eat. I will though take note on your comments about our kitchen as we will continue to strive to perfect it, in the hopes that during your next stay you will enjoy the meals we have in house. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I can be of service during your next stay, but it sounds like you have already made an election as to what room you would like to have.

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The trip was amazing. This hotel is a beautiful, cozy gem among the glitz and glam of the golden zone. The beach in front of the hotel is perfect for lounging and sunbathing, with an island off shore that can be reached by kayak, catamaran, jet ski - great for adventure, super fun. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are stunning, but garden view rooms are beautiful also. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest (Rashell G)

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to rate and comment about our property. It is important for us to hear more of our guests opinions so that we may continue to offer good service where it is well received and strive for perfection in the areas of opportunity that are still apparent. As a father to 3 little girls, I will have to agree with the statement “..perfect for lounging and sunbathing”. I tend to swim at this beach with my kids often and have found that it is not only relaxing but also caters to my eldest daughter’s sense of adventure. We look forward to hosting you and yours in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of service to you.

Kent, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We didn't stay at the hotel but did go to the fiesta. Over the years I've seen the show multiple times. The first couple of times it was well worthwhile but more than that probably not. I take first time visitors to the fiesta and they really enjoy it - the food is decent (buffet style), drinks, after the first one, are a standard watered down version; show is colorful; sort of expensive now.

My issue is that the show itself has never changed nor have many of the performers. At times they seem to be going through the motions. I'll probably end up seeing it again with other first timers but now I tend to watch their responses and not the show.

If you go I recommend getting there a bit early - there's always a line. Try to get a table along the stage but DO NOT sit right next to the stage.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear valued customer (Williejim07)

I am writing in response to your comments about the Mexican Fiesta show. As one of the members of the family of owners and current management team, I find it concerning when we receive either complaints or unsatisfactory notes from our clients and guests. For this reason I would like to comment on some of the points made, while at the same time questioning some of them:
- “Over the years seen the show multiple times” The Original Mexican Fiesta, started here at the Playa in 1978, since that time we have updated the show, changed the artist and polished it out to have the show that you might have been more familiar with in recent history, but as of July 1st, 2012 the hotel has begun to offer an all inclusive plan, that allowed us to expand on the theme nights offered. Because of this change we actually took on a whole new choreographer and dance team, that offers us varied shows such as: Caribbean night, Mexican night, International night, Impersonator night, audience participation night and the dance lessons dance off night, all of which we have never offered before. So I am curious as to when you visited the show. We have not offered the “Original Fiesta Mexicana Show” since 2010 and this is an all new show. If you have not had an opportunity to see this new show yet, please come and visit soon, as I am sure you will change your opinion.
- “watered down version” in regards to our drinks. I can ensure you that we do not have this practice at the hotel and even carry a certification attesting to the quality and standard of our food and beverage. We would be happy to tour you through the bar facilities in the hopes of offering you a better view as to how the preparations take place.
- “sort of expensive now” The original Fiesta had a $360.00 MXN cost for the open bar, buffet and show, we are now offering the event at $240.00 MXN per person for up to 4 hrs open bar, all you can eat buffet and the 45 minute show. So I am a bit confused on your statement as we are close to 40% off our previous pricing.
I hope this clarifies some of the confusion and that we are talking about the same show, please feel free to contact me direct if I can be of service or to better answer your questions, as I can see that you are an advocate of Mazatlan and more than likely a repeat client. We appreciate your business and that of the visitors you have brought to us. We hope that you have the opportunity to experience our shows, and service again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

It is a nice place, front beach, beautiful jacuzzi, and the room service was great. I will, next time, stay here. Recommended. It is near to stores and also know restaurants and fast-food restaurant for ordering by night to your room.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear valued guest (IsaiV)

I am writing in response to your awesome comments about our property, city and amenities. We are happy to hear that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you and yours again, in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if I could be of service to you.

Grande Prairie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Mazatlan itself is very nice, the best part is that everything is close and instead of driving everywhere you can enjoy a short taxi ride or choose to walk. Our resorts beach was breathe taking and only a boat or skidoo ride away from a private island with a nice beach, beers and fresh lobster. Now the downside, although the beach was nice the peddlers bother you all day long by name and even when you are trying to read, have a conversation or sleep they continue to guilt you in…this forced us to use the one and only heated pool. The people were not very nice, very few spoke English, we tipped at all times but yet things like towels were forgotten in our rooms. They do not have room service. They had a buffet that did not change much and did not have basic foods but mostly Mexican style food and closed early. They had 2 a la carte restaurants and the Italian one was closed 4 out of the 7 days we were there. The Mexican one was okay but had one good dish so going over there again was pointless. Breakfast was not good, long waits and no toasted bread. Everything had to be requested or paid for. It was not like an all inclusive and we had to go out every night to eat, There is a snack bar open from 10:30-6am but that was not true. When we asked they assured us it was open and then to their own surprise it was not. The entertainment was poor…only good on Fridays and no diversity. They only sang in Spanish and took long breaks in between. We did hear from a few people that this hotel was once amazing but has gone down hill from then. The people were also unfriendly and I have never ever had to say that before. In addition, not the hotels fault but we booked 3 tours through the hotel and all 3 either forgot us, were 1 hour delayed or had to get us to another boat to get us to the destination at which point we missed much of the fun. Horrible experience, I would never recommend it to anyone and if I do get it non inclusive because then you won’t feel guilty spending extra money on food and entertainment every night. We went Jan 04, 13 and spent as much as we did the previous year one a 5 star and the other had absolutely no comparison from the stuff to the food to the different and educational entertainment.

Room Tip: The best part is the view, get the beach view, it will be the best part of your stay
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Playa_Mazatlan, Gerente at Hotel Playa Mazatlan, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear valued guest (Kristina S)

I am writing in response to your comments about your stay with us during January 2013. I would like to personally take the time to address some of the points that you mention, in the hopes of clarifying, resolving and earning your trust back as a future guest. As a member to the family of owners of the property as well as part of the management staff, I am truly vested in working towards resolving areas of opportunity, clarifying areas with miss-understandings and always working towards giving you an unforgettably positive experience.
In regards to some of your concerns:

- Vendors on the beach: As you noted there are vendors that try to approach the property in the hopes of selling a few items and trinkets to our guests, although we are unable to kick them of the beach (it is a Federally owned area) we do offer a private beach that is “roped off” in the hopes of reducing this “burden”, as well as security guards in around the property for your comfort and protection. I will personally work with this team so that we may create a better plan of rounds to and from various points in the beach, so that we may focus on minimizing the un-wanted interaction with our guests.

- “The one and only heated pool” – I find this point concerning and perhaps misleading as we do heat all of our pools throughout the winter season. I will take your comment and review with my maintenance management team, so that we may ensure that this service is being offered at our standards.

- Speaking English and towels being forgotten in your rooms. We offer a service in which we allow the guest to make the choice whether or not we should take and wash towels daily, this based on our eco-friendly efforts to reduce the consumption o water. I would like to think that the usage of the card for this service was not understood correctly, so I will take it as a note to review the content, placement and use of the same, so that we may continue to offer you a clear message and service. In regards to speaking English, I will agree that not of our staff is either fluent or able, but everyone that is in a position of direct contact or service to our guest will have the ability to communicate fluently, as this is a requirement to that job.

- Serving Mexican food. The hotel does offer an array of international meals, as you may find listed in our various menus, the Terraza Playa does have a strong Mexican influence as we are a “Mexican Holiday” destination, but we offer a broad spectrum of choices between, our Italian, Mexican, International, Seafood and Snack Restaurants, the availability of their time of aperture varies, and I will strive to select a scheduling that allows all of our guest to experience everything that we offer, as this is not a common concern. I will dive into the time period in which you where here, so that I may see why there was an issue.

- Our tour service is offered by a third party, I will personally pass on your complaint to ensure that they are working with the same standards and expectations that we have. I personally apologize for the experience that you had on this service.

I hope this helps to show that we do listen and pay attention to our comments, I will do my best to resolve and perfect the areas of opportunity that you mention, and I hope we will have another opportunity in future to change your overall opinion of our hotel. If I can be of service in future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
ltvient@hotelplayamazatlan.com

Been to Hotel Playa Mazatlan? Share your experiences!