“smelly, hot and not that cool” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 54 Attractions in Mazatlan
Type: Lighthouses
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This lighthouse sits atop Cerro Creston, Mazatlan's highest hill.
El Dorado Hills, California
7 attraction reviews
“smelly, hot and not that cool”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We walked in late July heat and humidity, a tough hike up a rocky hot hill. no bathrooms, can't go into the lighthouse, no waters, so take it with you. great views, but hold your nose! The sanitation plant is on the same hill. Disgusting!

Visited July 2013

Mazatlan, Mexico
9 attraction reviews
“Be in Shape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

2nd highest lighthouse int he world and you can hike up to it. Take a bus to the market downtown and then another to the lighthouse. Or a pulmonia will get you there, just a good deal more expensive. Do plan for quiet a hike, take water and perhaps a snack. The view is exquisite.

Visited April 2013
San Diego, California
12 attraction reviews
“If you like hiking and lighthouses... This is for you.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I visited here last Friday with my boyfriend during our trip to Mazatlan. I think we definitely hiked up to the lighthouse during the wrong time of day. We randomly decided to go around 12pm and it was hot!! I don't know what we were thinking. If you're planning on hiking it go early in the morning when it's cooler. We heard the hike was about 10 minutes and was easy but I didn't think so. It took us up 20-30 minutes to hike up to it with stops for water and to cool off. It was a good hike so make sure you have the right shoes on and have plenty of water. The hike up had nice views and some iguanas. It was half dirt/stairs that zig-zag up to the top. Once you get to the top I saw signs that you can buy drinks but we didn't buy any so I'm not too sure of the cost or what they sell. They have one restroom that I used, not too sure if it's for staff only (it has supplies in the room) it was unlocked so I used it. I was actually disappointed when I got to the top... The view would have been nice if they cut down the plants around it. They also don't let you go in the lighthouse and there's no where you can stand to get a good photo with it. The light house was very small and was being worked on. It was nice to hike up to it with my boyfriend and see it but I wouldn't do it again. I think the view from below of it is just fine.

Visited June 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
“great view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

best to do when not so hot, long climb to top but the view is worth it. this is a must for Mazatlan vacation.

Visited June 2013
Fishers, Indiana
16 attraction reviews
“What a Climb!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I read about the light house in a travel guide and wanted to see the view from atop the lighthouse hill. My wife sent me off on my own to conquer the heights of El Faro and, despite the heat, I made it. The view of Mazatlan was incredible. I didn't realize the city was so big until I saw it from that height. Beautiful water, golden beaches, and an expansive view made the climb worth every step. Note #1: Take water. Note #2: There are no bathrooms at the lighthouse - save your water bottles or hold it. There is a snack shop at the base of the climb and a little guy in the lighthouse who sells water and Gatorade.

Visited May 2013